Manufacturer: Panasonic Part number: SC-HC55
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 4.0 stars out of 2 reviews
- Panasonic's SC-HC55 is equipped with proprietary audio reproduction technologies to produce a level of sound performance to meet the needs of discerning music lovers. Digital connection of an iPod/iPhone allows the compact stereo systems to process music signals in their original form, thus delivering sound that is faithful to the original for enhanced enjoyment of downloaded music. The ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 05/19/2013
Great Features and Design!
by Justin-Lee on March 26, 2013
Pros: + Great sound, great features, incredible values
+ Form factor is excellent
+ Design is sleek and stylish and quite compact
+ Able to stream audio from your iPhone
Cons: - Unable to stream from iPad so far
Summary: The 30-pin dock worked well with my iPhone, and with an older iPod Touch, but it seems to not be completely compatible with some 3rd party accessories, in my case ...
Summary: The 30-pin dock worked well with my iPhone, and with an older iPod Touch, but it seems to not be completely compatible with some 3rd party accessories, in my case a dock extender I bought for my girlfriend's iPad. The extender works on all the other dock devices I've tried it on, but it doesn't work on the SC-H55. An early iPod Nano also wasn't recognized.
Bluetooth is an alternative to using the dock, and both my iPhone 3GS and the girlfriend's iPad 2 paired quickly and reliably. I was unable to pair my Samsung Galaxy Tab via this means though. Of course, there's no telling whether this is the fault of the Samsung or the Panasonic, but wide Bluetooth compatibility may be an issue if you're not primarily a user of Apple devices. All sound-generating applications on my device play via Bluetooth, the music app, Pandora, NPR, etc. Panasonic markets an internet radio app, but based on my reading of the reviews for that, folks are just as well off with the apps they usually use rather than this paid add-on. More often than not, I have my phone plugged into the charger on my kitchen table, sending audio to the SC-H55 12 feet away on the other side of the kitchen; it works great.
Given the right placement of the SC-H55 and its radio antenna, decent reception is possible, but its receiver is not as strong as some stereo devices I've used. If you're in an area with marginal reception to begin with, don't expect this unit to be the answer to your prayers. In the age of internet radio, though, I suspect this isn't as much of an issue for many people.
The blue LED display, while quite legible, conveys only the most basic info about the device's functionality. Don't get me wrong, it does the job, but it won't win any awards in the user interface department.
So besides these minor quibbles, the positives far outweigh the negatives.
The sound is more than adequate, but don't expect to feel the bass in your chest. For casual music listening and spoken word I find the sound to be very good, and though I don't mess around much with the eq settings, they can be useful for getting better sound from particular types of audio.
The form factor is excellent, it is less obtrusive than a toaster or microwave on a kitchen counter, and can be wall mounted with the included hardware to be even less intrusive.
The sliding door works well 90% of the time. When it fails to recognize my hand motion, I just use the button on top or the remote to open it. It remains to be seen how well this door will hold up over time, but there don't seem to be too many moving parts involved, so it will come down to the motor's longevity.
Note: I suggest read full review and check for best deal at: Multiroomdigitalmusicsystemreviewsbuy.com/stereo-systems/panasonic-sc-hc55-review.html
In summary, for the cost, the SC-H55 packs a lot of nice features and good sound. I heartily recommend it to all.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Good except for one small problem...
by Buholoco40 on August 16, 2011
Pros: Internet radio capable
Cons: Built more for the iPod Touch / iPhone
Fast forward / next track doesn't always work with iPod Classic
Summary: I purchased this, and I think it's a great system. Great sound, and the ability to open the iPod and CD sections with a hand wave is a cool ...
Summary: I purchased this, and I think it's a great system. Great sound, and the ability to open the iPod and CD sections with a hand wave is a cool feature. The design is slick, and I like the thin size of it. I've played around with the Internet radio too. Some people will balk at having to buy the vTuner app, but if you're not going to use Internet radio, skip buying it. Of course, if you're not using Internet radio, you may want to look into the SC-HC35, which costs less, and has the same basic function as this unit.
The only real issue I have with this unit is that it seems to be designed for the iPod Touch or the iPhone, as opposed to the iPod Classic. When skipping to the next track, there are times when the system will fast forward about 5 seconds, instead of moving to the next track. This happens about every 5 or 6 tracks.
Aside from that small gripe, this really is a nice system.
- Manufacturer: Panasonic
- Part number: SC-HC55
- Description: Panasonic's SC-HC55 is equipped with proprietary audio reproduction technologies to produce a level of sound performance to meet the needs of discerning music lovers. Digital connection of an iPod/iPhone allows the compact stereo systems to process music signals in their original form, thus delivering sound that is faithful to the original for enhanced enjoyment of downloaded music. The SC-HC55 boasts wireless music streaming and Internet radio control. Music lovers and talk radio enthusiasts can enjoy the hundreds of stations offered by Internet radio and use the system's convenient features to search for stations and program their favorites. The SC-HC55 is equipped with Bluetooth functionality, enabling the further expansion of listening options by the ability to receive audio transmission and play wirelessly from an iPodTouch/iPhone/iPad or compatible mobile phone in one's hand, without docking. The SC-HC55 is also equipped with Bluetooth re-master circuitry, which compensates for audio signals that are lost during Bluetooth wireless transmission, thus further enhancing the quality of digital music. Designed to meet the needs of iPod users who want to enjoy their favorite songs with high quality sound at home, the SC-HC55 employs proprietary pure direct sound system digital signal processing to reduce distortion and deliver an exceptionally pure, clear sound that rivals the quality of larger hi-fi systems and brings out the best in any musical genre. The distortion that is commonly generated by the scattered reflection of sounds from the body surface is dramatically reduced by digital signal processing (DSP) correction to reproduce pure and clear sound. Thanks to its sleek, ultra slim design, the compact stereos can be set up in places where conventional stereo systems will not fit. The SC-HC55 sports a motorized, touch-free sensor door which is equipped with a motion sensor, enabling it to open and close by simply passing a hand over it.
- Product Type Micro system with iPhone / iPod cradle
- Width 18.9 in
- Depth 3.3 in
- Height 7.6 in
- Weight 5.3 lbs
- Amplifier Output Details 20 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 10 % - 2 channel(s) ( Main )
- Sound Output Mode Stereo
- Surround Sound Effects Virtual Surround Mode
- Sound Effects D-Bass
- Output Power (Total) 40 Watt
- Bass Control Yes
- Treble Control Yes
- Additional Features Auto power off,
Motorized CD door,
Bluetooth audio streaming
- Speaker(s) 2 - 2-way - 20 Watt - Wired
- Driver Details 1 x Full-range driver - 65 mm,
1 x Tweeter driver - 15 mm - Piezoelectric,
Digital Media & Network Players
- Digital player type Digital player
- Supported Digital Audio Standards MP3
- ID3 Tags Support Yes
- Digital Player Features USB flash drive playback
- CD type CD / MP3 player
- Media Load Type Vertical
- CD Track Programming Yes
- CD-R Compatible Yes
- CD-RW Compatible Yes
- Supported Digital Audio Standards MP3
- MP3 Playback Yes
- ID3 Tags Support Yes
- Tuner Type Radio tuner - AM/FM - Digital
- Preset Station Qty 45
- AM Preset Station Qty 15
- FM Preset Station Qty 30
- Supported RDS Functions PS
- Equalizer Yes
- Equalizer factory presets Flat,
Inputs & Outputs
- Connections 1xHeadphones(Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm),
1xUSB 2.0(4 pin USB Type A),
1xIPod docking(Apple Dock connector),
1xAudio line-in(Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm)
- Headphone Jack Yes
- Built-in display Fluorescent
- Display dimmer Yes
- Remote Control Type Remote control - Infrared
- Included accessories [Jul 2, 2008 from CDS: Miscellaneous] Remote control
- Built-in clock Sleep timer,
- Timer Playback,
- Power Device Power supply
- Power Consumption Operational 28 Watt
- Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 0.2 Watt