Manufacturer: Pioneer Part number: VSX-823-K
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Best Buy|| || See Site || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/22/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $349.99
- Reviewed by: Matthew Moskovciak and Steve Guttenberg
- Edited by: John Falcone
- Reviewed on: 06/26/2013
The good: The Pioneer VSX-823-K has a good feature set, with six HDMI inputs, including an MHL-compatible front-panel input. It has built-in networking, with AirPlay compatibility and integrated support for Pandora, Internet radio, and DLNA. The Pioneer also provides above-average sound quality.
The bad: Sony's competing STR-DN840 offers built-in Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and AirPlay for $50 more. Other networked AV receivers offer more streaming services, such as Spotify and SiriusXM. The included one-year warranty is also half as long as most manufacturers offer.
The bottom line: The Pioneer VSX-823-K is a good deal for AirPlay fans looking for lots of HDMI connectivity, but it falls short on wireless features like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
by Johnston54 on September 27, 2013
Pros: Great price, lots of features and hookups
Cons: No paper user manual (on a cd rom), speaker wires were hard to hookup
Summary: Ok so I had a REALLY old Sony receiver that I decided to replace because it was from the mid 90's and wasn't 5.1, Dolby Digital or ...
Summary: Ok so I had a REALLY old Sony receiver that I decided to replace because it was from the mid 90's and wasn't 5.1, Dolby Digital or have any HDMI hookups. So I walked into Best Buy and found this baby at 25% off 300.00 instead of 400.00!!!Edit:
The receiver looks nice and allowed me to get rid of my system selecter unit I also had before because of having so many HDMI hookups. So you can hookup a blu ray, a dvd, a PS3/4 an xbox 360/one...you get the idea and use THIS receiver to switch between them.
There IS a little lag when switching between the device types but it's not that bad. Took me about 2 hours to unplug the old receiver and system selecter and hook this guy up. The problem was the connectors are a new standard and the quick setup manual doesn't really tell you (I found this out from an audiofile person at work) that you can put these plugs on the end of speaker wires and plug right into this. Well I didn't know about that while setting up so I had to unscrew and stick the wires in and rescrew, the black ones on the bottom were especially pesky to hookup (they are called banana plugs btw I found out) and yes these plugs cost MORE money to get too and don't come in the package.
REALLY disappointed that there was NO paper user manual, instead they give you a CD Rom to use on your computer...who wants to be going back and forth from their pc to their home stereo?...dumb. So the setup sucked but the quality is great once you get it hooked up. There is even a diagnostic mode where it found that my rear surround speaker wasn't working...GREAT!!!
P.S. Recommend to check for it's best price at: Avreceiverschoosing.blogspot.com/p/pioneer-vsx-823-k.html
I hope this review is helps.
Updated on Dec 7, 2013
Recommend to check for it's best price at: Receiverdeals.blog.com/pioneer-vsx-823/
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
AirPlay implementation is poor, and cuts out constant
by Dark-Energy on December 30, 2013
Pros: - Good number of HDMIs
- Good set of wireless features such as Airplay, HTC Connect and DLNA
Cons: Very poor AirPlay implementation, my iPhone 5s constantly cuts out after 1-2 minutes of playback of music. I will have to return it and go with a Sony STRDN-840 instead. I updated to the October 2013 firmware and still the issue was not resolved.
Summary: Returning back to BestBuy tomorrow.
Summary: Returning back to BestBuy tomorrow.
- Manufacturer: Pioneer
- Part number: VSX-823-K
- Description: With clear audio reproduction and advanced technologies, Pioneer's VSX-823-K feature rich, yet affordable receiver that lets you take advantage of Pioneer's innovative approach to the networked home theater experience. Proving that connectivity is the key, the VSX-823-K delivers the broadest platform for your Apple or Android lifestyle, streaming your favorite content and controlling your receiver, right from the palm of your hand. The VSX-823-K is ready for advanced new technologies, such as high-resolution music files, Ultra HD video files, and an intuitive Eco mode for a "smart" home theater system.
- Product type Network AV receiver
- Dimensions (WxDxH) 17.125 in x 13.625 in x 6.625 in
- Color Brushed black
- Surround System Class 5.1 channel
- Amplifier Output Details 80 Watt,
8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08 % - 5 channel(s),
6 Ohm - THD 1.0 % - 5 channel(s)
- Sound Output Mode Surround Sound
- Audio D/A Converter 24bit / 192kHz
- Built-in Decoders Dolby True HD,
Dolby Digital Plus,
Dolby Pro Logic IIz,
DTS-HD Master Audio
- Surround Sound Effects Front Stage Surround Advance,
Headphone Surround (V.S.S.)
- Digital Sound Processor (DSP) Yes
- Input Impedance 47 KOhm
- Input Sensitivity 200 mV
- Apple AirPlay AirPlay built-in
- Additional Features Graphical User Interface (GUI),
iPad Mini compatible,
iTunes Album Art,
Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit (MCACC),
Sound Retriever AIR,
Networking & Digital Media
- Connectivity Ethernet ,
MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) ,
Bluetooth ready, adapter sold separately
- Internet streaming services Pandora,
- DLNA Yes
- Tuner Type AM/FM - Digital
- Preset Station Qty 30
- Equalizer Yes
- Equalizer band qty 5 bands
Inputs & Outputs
- HD connectors HDMI connection(s) on this receiver make it a great choice for your High-Def home theater. One cable carries digital audio and video data directly to your display.
- Connections 1xHeadphones-Front,
1xUSB 2.0(4 pin USB Type A)-Front,
3xAudio line-in(RCA phono x 2)-Rear,
5xHDMI input(19 pin HDMI Type A)-Rear,
1xHDMI output(19 pin HDMI Type A)-Rear,
1xMonitor output(RCA phono)-Rear,
1xSPDIF input(RCA phono)-Rear,
1xSubwoofer output(RCA phono)-Rear,
2xComposite video input(RCA phono)-Rear,
5xSpeakers output(Banana/spade x 2)-Rear,
1xComposite video input(RCA phono)-Front,
1xHDMI input(19 pin HDMI Type A)-Front
- HDMI features 4K pass through ,
Audio return channel (ARC) ,
Deep Color ,
Standby pass-through ,
Supports 3D video ,
- Built-in display Fluorescent
- Type of remote control Standard
- Included accessories Auto calibration microphone,
Universal remote control
- Built-in clock Sleep timer
- Power Consumption Operational 450 Watt
- Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 0.1 Watt
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year