Yamaha Digital Sound Projector YSP-1100 (black)
Manufacturer: Yamaha Part number: YSP-1100BL
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/08/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $899.99
- Reviewed by: Steve Guttenberg
- Edited by: John Falcone
- Reviewed on: 10/27/2006
- Released on: 09/14/2006
The good: The long and sleek Yamaha YSP-1100 is a single-speaker virtual surround system that uses 40 1.5-inch drivers to bounce sound off walls and create enveloping surround effects while a pair of 4.25-inch woofers produce the bass. Built-in digital amplifiers, Dolby/DTS and proprietary sound processing, and video switching features eliminate--or at least minimize--the need for an A/V receiver. Supereasy automated setup with the supplied microphone.
The bad: The YSP-1100 sounds best in sparsely furnished rooms, and the My Beam focus effect doesn't work as advertised. Video connectivity lacks S-Video and HDMI options.
The bottom line: Yamaha's YSP-1100, its best-ever Digital Sound Projector single-speaker surround system, is a breeze to set up and it sounds great on DVD.
Great product for price,quality and convenience.
by bspraggins on March 28, 2007
Pros: Good quality tweeters, VERY EASY setup, very attractive and sleek looking(would look wonderful under a plasma), best all in one product i've seen.
Cons: 4.5" woofers are deff. the weakest point. I would strongly advise to get a separate subwoofer.
Summary: I would recommend this product to the customer that is looking for a surround sound system that wants a quick setup in a small or medium size room without the ...
Summary: I would recommend this product to the customer that is looking for a surround sound system that wants a quick setup in a small or medium size room without the hassle of running wires for speakers. An additional component input would be ideal for the customer that wants to watch HDTV,DVD in digital format, and game in HD too.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Awesome surround-sound in one box
by joeypires on May 14, 2007
Pros: Easy installation, Great sound, Intellibeam
Summary: I think the YSP-1100 is the best "bar" surround-sound on the market. I bought mine on ebay for around $950 with a sub. You definitely need to purchase the sub-woofer ...
Summary: I think the YSP-1100 is the best "bar" surround-sound on the market. I bought mine on ebay for around $950 with a sub. You definitely need to purchase the sub-woofer in order to really have the full surround feel. The intellibeam is so freakin' easy its not even funny.
The black sound projector fits perfect under my 57" DLP and looks sleek. My system is set up in a very rectangular room with not a lot of art on the walls and it works perfect. I could understand why it wouldn't work that good in an odd shaped room because all the sound waves bounce off the walls.
P.S. the "My Beam" function is awesome!!!
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Yamaha YSP series
by hfhlt004 on October 31, 2006
Pros: compact and simple to use when set up
Cons: not satisfactory for many "living" rooms
Summary: I purchased a YSP 1 early last year. I am generally satisfied, since it easily sits atop my Sony LCD projection TV and provides good center speaker vocals. I do ...
Summary: I purchased a YSP 1 early last year. I am generally satisfied, since it easily sits atop my Sony LCD projection TV and provides good center speaker vocals. I do not have options on placement, and trying to tweak the settings, I've never been able to adequately tune it. It does not give much of a surround effect in my odd shaped room, and I'm sure it would not in many others. As noted in the review, it is best used in a normal square or rectangle rooms without clutter. I am using it with a good quality subwoofer, which in my opinion is required if you spend this much for the system. I hope this type of system takes off in the future, as I don't know people who can afford a dedicated home theater room.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Good value especially when limited in space for full surround sound
by cjharrer on December 12, 2007
Pros: Easy installation and setup, decent amount of inputs, especially digital audio (2 optical, 1 coax)
Cons: no HDMI, I haven't figured out how to simulate surround sound for older movies (if it can be done)
Summary: My wife didn't want a room full of speakers and I had seen a few of the sound bar solutions but was skeptical they would sound good. This unit ...
Summary: My wife didn't want a room full of speakers and I had seen a few of the sound bar solutions but was skeptical they would sound good. This unit sounds great on newer (dolby 5.1) DVDs and really fill our room with sound (a 13x13 room). I do have a subwoofer connected to it, I think it really adds a boost.
All things considered, since I wasn't getting a full surround sound system, this really does add a lot of enjoyment to our movie watching!
Without the subwoofer, the system does lack some punch, but still sounds a ton better than my TV speakers (Sharp LCD).
The setup of the unit is very easy with the included microphone. On the fly adjustment is also easy with the remote.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Outstanding, great sound & features
by rimfire22 on February 14, 2007
Pros: sound quality, appearance, great remote, unique duel listening features
Cons: none at all
Summary: We installed it under a 46" Sony LCD and added the Yamaha 6.5" subwoofer.It was easy to install, the sound quality and bass exceded our expectation. Perfect for ...
Summary: We installed it under a 46" Sony LCD and added the Yamaha 6.5" subwoofer.It was easy to install, the sound quality and bass exceded our expectation. Perfect for the bedroom. The real excitement came when we read that you could direct the sound from left to right using the remote control which acts as a microphone. This allows me to sleep and my wife can enjoy watching TV. I was also able to use the remote to control my TV, DVD and cable box.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
At this price...jump on it...NOW!
by anvilhed on January 1, 2009
Pros: Obvious quality build...sounds excellent...runs itself....great value as of 12/08.
Cons: LIMITED CONNECTIVITY! (No HDMI).
Summary: Your first clue as to the quality of this unit comes when you pick up the carton as it weighs just under 30 lbs., and when it comes to speakers......
Summary: Your first clue as to the quality of this unit comes when you pick up the carton as it weighs just under 30 lbs., and when it comes to speakers...heavy is good. It just plain looks good, with a bright, legible display. Set-up is idiot-proof with the included remote microphone. If you are considering a soundbar, your circumstances preclude you from a conventional surround system, but this unit will get you as close as you are going to get from a single speaker. I basically installed it into an extremely odd-shaped room cluttered with furniture which is a near impossibie atmosphere to simulate surround, but this unit still managed to re-create a noticably spacial experience. The two larger drivers may placate the bass requirements for many users, but the addition of my old JBL sub really completed the package. I considered the recently released Philips and Samsung units with integrated DVD players etc, but not being a fan of integrated systems (the DVD player goes a week after the warranty expires and you have a mediocre speaker cabinet), I decided to go purely with sound quality, and this unit blew the competition away. Being a bit of an older model there is no HDMI connectivity...a slight detriment but no biggie. CNET called this unit state of the art when it came out at $1700...you can grab it on Amazon for $432.00 and I recommend you do just that!
- Manufacturer: Yamaha
- Part number: YSP-1100BL
- Description: As amazing as it seems, the YSP-1100 can actually deliver multi-channel sound that surrounds listeners the same way that sound from front, center and rear speakers does. DVD movies and other digital sources sound just the way they are supposed to. Dolby Pro Logic II is included, so even 2-channel TV sound can be heard in glorious multi-channel surround. Remember, this is true surround sound, not virtual surround, which can cause listening fatigue. The YSP-1100 contains 42 digital amplifiers to power 42 sound drivers, delivering remarkable multi-channel enjoyment from a single, elegant component. Setting up the Yamaha Digital Sound Projector is much easier than a conventional home theater system because multiple speakers and extra wiring are eliminated. Installation of this system is so versatile that you can place it next to, or on top of, your video display... or if you have a wall mounted flat panel video display you can use the optional wall-mount bracket to place it securely on the wall. No matter if your room is square or rectangular, or if you have to place your Digital Sound Projector in a corner or another part of the room, the system is flexible enough for virtually any room configuration. It's not just about how it sounds... it's also about style, and how well it complements a wall or stand-mounted plasma, LCD or rear-projection video display. With slim, contemporary design, it becomes an elegant statement of the latest in home theater technology. And, since it can be used as an on-wall system, you can take the Digital Sound Projector with you if you move! The YSP-1100 supports IR signal transmission for the convenient operation of other components. The YSP-1100 can be controlled by an IR signal sent through the Remote In terminal. The IR signal received by the Remote Control Sensor on the front panel is directly output through the IR OUT terminal. It is also provided with an RS-232C interface for a touch-panel controller.
- Speaker type Five channel speaker
- Speaker quantity Sound bar
- Dimensions (WxDxH) 40.6 in x 4.6 in x 7.6 in
- Weight 28.7 lbs
- Amplification type Active
- Woofer size (inches) 40 mm,
- Nominal (RMS) output power 120 Watt
- Magnetic shield Yes
- Audio amplifier Integrated
- Connectivity Wired
- Built-in decoders Dolby Digital,
Dolby Pro Logic II
- Controls Input selector,
EQ mode selector
- Detachable grilles Yes
- Connector type 1 x Serial ( 9 pin D-Sub ),
2 x Digital audio input (optical) ( TOSLINK ),
1 x Digital audio input (coaxial) ( RCA phono ),
2 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ),
3 x Composite video input ( RCA phono ),
1 x Composite video output ( RCA phono ),
1 x Subwoofer output ( RCA phono ),
2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ),
1 x Component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ),
1 x Remote control ( Mini-phone 3.5 mm )
- Driver details Five channel speaker : 40 x Tweeter driver - 40 mm,
Five channel speaker : 2 x Woofer driver - 110 mm
Compatibility | Accessories
- Included accessories Universal remote control,
- Power device Power supply - Internal
- Type None