Manufacturer: Parrot Company Part number: asteroid
- Bottom Line:
- The Parrot Asteroid falls a bit short on delivering the Internet and a rich app experience in the car, but it's still a solid receiver for users looking to add great digital audio connectivity and a top-tier hands-free calling experience to any vehicle.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/22/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $339.98
- Reviewed by: Antuan Goodwin
- Reviewed on: 01/24/2012
The good: Being powered by the Android OS means that the Parrot Asteroid can download and run apps. Parrot's hands-free calling system is one of the best in the business. Digital media on USB-connected mass storage devices, iPods, and SD cards can be voice-controlled. A ton of functionality is crammed into a single-DIN form factor.
The bad: Getting the Asteroid connected to the Internet requires a USB wireless 3G dongle, not provided. Only Parrot-approved apps are supported and many of the launch apps, particularly Maps, are not very compelling or useful.
The bottom line: The Parrot Asteroid falls a bit short on delivering the Internet and a rich app experience in the car, but it's still a solid receiver for users looking to add great digital audio connectivity and a top-tier hands-free calling experience to any vehicle.
This is one of the worst products I have ever bought.
by switz111 on January 24, 2012
Pros: None that I can think of
Cons: Doesn't allow an Androiod phone to connect data. So, all of the apps and BS navigation doesn't work.
Summary: I purchased an Asteroid Radio just a few days after it was released. I was excited about the description and got a pretty good deal on the installation. After one ...
Summary: I purchased an Asteroid Radio just a few days after it was released. I was excited about the description and got a pretty good deal on the installation. After one day, I hated this thing like no other recent purchase. For no reason, the unit locks up as you are driving. The only way to unlock it is to stop the vehicle and turn the car off and then back on. There is no, and I mean no, communication with most Android devices. Some have been able to get DUN working but I couldn't. I have a rooted phone but the only thing I could get to work was Bluetooth. And, even then it didn't work right. Go to Parrot's website and to the support section. Look at the disaster that is this unit. So many folks are having problems with this thing it is a joke; or would be if one hadn't spent hard earned dollars on it. Now, Parrot has announced new items. They say they are not going to abandon existing owners but we have seen this too often before. Lucky for me, I used a shop with some integrity and they removed the unit and installed a different radio. I am much happier now. Do not listen to a simple review on a web site such as this. Take it from someone (and others on Parrot's forum) who owned one and saw the disaster that is Asteroid.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Wow factor gradually wears off into frustration.
by bdkennedy1 on March 29, 2012
Pros: Everyone compliments it. Well made.
Cons: Buggy, crashes and freezes. No clock when playing music. Volume controls are all over the place. Almost useless apps.
Summary: I was so excited to buy this but gradually as I used it everyday, I just want to get my money back. The biggest problem are the crashes. Just listening ...
Summary: I was so excited to buy this but gradually as I used it everyday, I just want to get my money back. The biggest problem are the crashes. Just listening to the radio can reboot the unit with a nerve rattling POP before shutting off. That is especially fun during a phone call.
The hardware is top notch, but the software running it feels like I'm beta testing it. Customer Service is slow to respond if at all. Feature requests go ignored. Bug reports are piling up on their DevZone site.
Do your own research before buying this. And keep in mind Parrots employees go around writing their own 5 star reviews.
- Manufacturer: Parrot Company
- Part number: asteroid
- Description: The Parrot Asteroid is a Single-DIN car receiver with multimedia connectivity and advanced hands-free capabilities. It combines an elegant detachable faceplate equipped with backlight buttons and an innovative guiding system to insert the faceplate. Main functions are all accessible via the discreet jog wheel, making browsing through the menus more intuitive. A large high-definition 3.2" color screen displays in an instant all your information, phonebook, menus, music, playlist, album covers, Internet applications, and more. The Parrot Asteroid plays all types of music sources: iPod, iPhone, USB, SD card and also Bluetooth stereo, analog player. Vocal Music Search facilitates access to your music; just pronounce the name of the artist, album stored in your music library and the music will be launched automatically. To make the experience even more enjoyable, the Asteroid is equipped with a built-in amplifier, a subwoofer output and a preamp-output, it also includes an equalizer with sound effects that gives an exceptional sound quality. The Parrot Asteroid also offers Bluetooth advanced hands-free telephony features: from the first connection, the Parrot Asteroid automatically synchronizes the phonebook of the mobile and directly associates a user-independent voice recognition tags. So calls can be simply launch by voice or by browsing the phonebook. All the telephony information from the phone is displayed on the bright display so it has never been easier to make calls with a hands-free system.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Navigation system
- Form Factor In-dash unit
- Enclosure Type Full-DIN
- Functions GPS navigation system,
- Media Content Source USB-host,
Flash memory card
- Bluetooth functions Hands-free calling,
- Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card
- Security Features Detachable faceplate
- Features Upgradable firmware
Digital Player (Recorder)
- Device Type Digital player
- Type LCD monitor - In-dash unit integrated
- Technology TFT active matrix
- Diagonal Size 3.2 in
- Radio Radio tuner - AM/FM
- RDS Yes
- Supported RDS Functions EON,
- Max Output Power / Channel Qty 55 Watts x 4
- Type Parametric
- Equalizer Band Qty 7 bands
- Type GPS receiver
- Included Accessories GPS antenna,
Faceplate carrying case
- Cables Included USB cable,
iPod audio / data cable,
- Type 1 x SD Memory Card
- Connector Type Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) - Rear,
USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - Rear,
3 x Audio line-out ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear
- Alpine CDE 134HD - radio / HD radio / CD / MP3 player / digital player (35153588)168.99 - 179.99
- Alpine CDE HD137BT - radio / HD radio / CD / MP3 player / digital player (35176967)175.00 - 199.99
- Alpine SWR-1023D (34108015)138.00 - 219.99
- Alpine CDE-123 CD MP3/WMA Receiver (34714588)192.50 - 259.00
- Alpine iDA-X305 (33490617)199.99 - 219.95
- Alpine iDA-X305S - radio / digital player (34081676)210.00 - 229.99
- Alpine SPS-600 - car speaker (32959223)99.99
- Alpine Type-S SPS-600C - car speaker (32906151)108.94
- Alpine Type-S SPS-610C - car speaker (34640917)74.99 - 129.99
- TomTom GO 740 Live (33588487)299.97
- Garmin nüvi 2370LT - GPS receiver (34825549)259.99
- XOvision navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (34534936)249.00 - 267.57
- Alpine MRP M1000 - amplifier (32853918)239.95
- Alpine MRP M500 - amplifier (32855748)141.97 - 319.99
- Alpine X-Power MRX-M100 - amplifier (34639603)189.00 - 299.95