TomTom XXL 550-M (Lifetime Map Edition)
Manufacturer: TomTom Part number: XXL 550-M
- More product information:
- Editors' review
- User reviews
- Product series
- Manufacturer info
- Bottom Line:
- The TomTom XL 350 and XXL 550 series of GPS devices represent a marked improvement over the previous generation, keeping its great form factor while streamlining its software.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/28/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $177.77
- Reviewed by: Antuan Goodwin
- Reviewed on: 11/02/2010
The good: TomTom's interface has undergone a massive overhaul with this new series, resulting in a menu structure that's much easier to navigate. Trip routing happened quickly, and turn-by-turn directions were clear and concise. TomTom's EasyPort mount keeps the cradle with the GPS device at all times, which is great for portability.
The bad: Traffic service requires power cable be plugged in. Some menu options are oddly labeled. Lifetime traffic models occasionally overlays ads on the map screen.
The bottom line: The TomTom XL 350 and XXL 550 series of GPS devices represent a marked improvement over the previous generation, keeping its great form factor while streamlining its software.
Needs update on "you have reached your destination."
by tony-199 on December 22, 2010
Pros: I like the fact that I get lifetime update of maps. I like also that it has red light cameras on it.
Cons: I hate the fact that Tomtom only says "you have reached your destination." It doesn't have a memory card slot. If I miss my turn, it doesn't notify me.
Summary: The biggest problem for me is the fact that all is says when I reach my destination is "you have reached your destination." It is now up to me to ...
Summary: The biggest problem for me is the fact that all is says when I reach my destination is "you have reached your destination." It is now up to me to ascertain which side of the street is my destination. My Garmin would say for example, arriving at home on right. Whatever name I typed in the destination address field it would say it when I reached the destination. The main reason I got the Tomtom is for the lifetime map update and the price but for peace of mind I would get the Garmin anyday. I would strongly recommend that an update be done to fix the problem of just saying, "you have reached your destination."
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Lifetime Maps or Traffic only if ...
by VAuser on December 8, 2010
Pros: Wonderful when it worked
Cons: "Lifetime Maps" service wants me to pay. I emailed TomTom customer service. Their reply: prove you are entitled (even though I had already registered and entered their lifetime codes, etc.) I do not always keep all receipts for everything I buy.
Summary: Before you buy any TomTom product with lifetime anything, conduct research. If you have lifetime traffic, go to the TomTom site and price the traffic power cord (it costs almost ...
Summary: Before you buy any TomTom product with lifetime anything, conduct research. If you have lifetime traffic, go to the TomTom site and price the traffic power cord (it costs almost as much as a TomTom on sale). If you leave it in a hotel or rented car, you are out of luck. See http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/accessories/chargers-connect-cables/traffic-receiver/
Here is TomTom's reply to me (they automatically close the case within a day or two). I am out of luck because I could not read the serial number (really tiny and not protected from minor abrasion) and cannot find my receipt. This is not a major purchase for me, but my TomTom problems have become a major annoyance. I discovered my Android phone navigation is far better in many aspects.
Dear TomTom Customer,
Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Autumn and we are always happy to help.
I understand that you receive message stating that the Latest Map Guarantee has expired.
I understand how frustrating this can be.
To obtain the Latest Map Guarantee, please visit:
If the above suggestion does not work, then please provide us the following information to compensate the map to your account.
1. Proof of purchase of your TomTom showing the date of the purchase, the model and the dollar amount and the promotion code card stating you are entitled to the Latest Map Guarantee. You can attach it to this incident. For help uploading documents, please click on the link below. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.
2. The serial number from the bottom of your device. For help with this, please see:
3. Your device code. It is at the bottom of the device near the bar code.
4. Your current map and application version. For help with this, please see:
It was a pleasure assisting you. We hope you find this information useful. Your satisfaction with the TomTom product is our prime concern.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
by dkpainter on February 5, 2011
Pros: The device itself was very easy to use. I really liked it until it locked up and would not turn off, then would not turn back on after letting it run down.
Cons: It left us stranded on vacation when it locked up, and after using all my air card time to download the maps the first time I could not download them again when they disappeared (details below)
Summary: Had to delete old maps in order to update maps the first time. I don't have cable internet, I have an air card and it used almost my total ...
Summary: Had to delete old maps in order to update maps the first time. I don't have cable internet, I have an air card and it used almost my total months data to download the maps. It worked great for 3 days, on the 4th day it locked up. Wouldn't turn off. Had to let it run down. Then would not turn on. Finally did get it to power on, but everything (maps) was gone. I returned it & am looking at a Garmin.
- Manufacturer: TomTom
- Part number: XXL 550-M
- Description: All the great features are designed of the 550 plus lifetime map updates. The editions are issued four times per year so your map will always be up-to-date.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type GPS receiver
- Recommended Use Automotive
- Preloaded Maps USA,
- Interface USB
- Functions & Services Lifetime map updates,
IQ routes technology,
- Voice Navigation instructions
- Included Software TomTom HOME
- Antenna Built-in
- Internal Memory 2 GB Flash
- Features IQ Routes technology,
2D / 3D map perspective,
- Type TFT - Color - Yes
- Diagonal Size 5 in - Widescreen
- Resolution 320 x 240
- Menu Language Hungarian,
- Features Anti-glare
- Connector Type USB
- Type Lithium ion
- Run Time (Up To) 3 hour(s)
- Design Features Touch screen
- Included Accessories Dashboard disc,
USB car charger,
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 4.6 in
- Depth 3.3 in
- Height 1 in
- Weight 6.5 oz
- Alpine CDE 100 - radio / CD / MP3 player / USB flash player (34107875)91.11 - 105.00
- Alpine CDE 102 (33526693)59.61 - 149.99
- Alpine Type-S SWS-1023D - 10" Dual 2-ohm Component Sub (32399948)68.19 - 119.95
- Alpine CDE 122 - radio / CD / MP3 player / digital player (34909620)122.50 - 159.99
- BOSS 822UA - radio / CD / MP3 player / digital player (34114862)96.47 - 212.24
- BOSS 870DBI - radio / CD / MP3 player / digital player (35187726)124.99 - 134.04
- Alpine Type-S SPS-400 - car speaker (32906160)48.15 - 59.95
- Alpine Type-S SPS-410 - car speaker (34640911)41.15 - 69.99
- Alpine Type-S SPS-500 Car Speaker (32905977)54.99
- Magellan RoadMate 1700-MU - GPS receiver (34755088)116.51 - 163.50
- Garmin nuvi 1490LMT (34168097)13.49 - 279.99
- Garmin nuvi 1450 (33832577)114.98 - 299.99
- Alpine X-Power MRX-M50 - amplifier (34639690)144.00 - 190.00
- AudioBahn A2301T - amplifier (30807299)149.99
- AudioBahn A4002T - amplifier (30603582)150.00