Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite (120GB)
Manufacturer: Microsoft Part number: B4J-00122
- More product information:
- Editors' review
- User reviews
- Product series
- Manufacturer info
- Bottom Line:
- While it's neither a must-have upgrade for existing 360 owners nor as feature-packed as the PS3, the Xbox 360 Elite's combination of top-notch gaming and digital media features make it the current game console of choice.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/29/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $199.99
- Reviewed by: John Falcone
- Reviewed on: 04/27/2007
- Released on: 04/29/2007
The good: Excellent selection of games, including many 360-only exclusives; all games are in native high-definition; user-friendly Dashboard interface; supports wireless controllers and accessories; Xbox Live service offers online multiplayer (with matchmaking and voice chat) and content downloads for most games; backward compatible with many--but not all--original Xbox titles; doubles as a superior digital media hub and Windows Media extender; online Marketplace allows easy purchases of minigames, add-on gaming content, high-def movies, and TV shows.
The bad: The Elite fails to correct most of the annoyances of the original 360 version: the noisy DVD drive and cooling fan; a gigantic, oversize power supply; no built-in wireless networking; only three USB ports; a substandard DVD player; online gaming requires a paid subscription to Xbox Live; proprietary wireless format limits third-party accessories.
The bottom line: While it's neither a must-have upgrade for existing 360 owners nor as feature-packed as the PS3, the Xbox 360 Elite's combination of top-notch gaming and digital media features make it the current game console of choice.
Its Xbox 360... Improved!
by sebassupastar on April 20, 2007
Pros: HDMI - 120gb... and all the magic that makes 360 a winner.
Cons: Lots of cons... see review for details.
Summary: Ok. First : This hasn`t been released yet. And I don`t think an honest review of the product can be made so far. Screw the PS3 vs Xbox flamers ...
Summary: Ok. First : This hasn`t been released yet. And I don`t think an honest review of the product can be made so far. Screw the PS3 vs Xbox flamers that keep ******** over their favourite console`s competitor.
If you`re a 360 owner already, this is not a very welcome addition from microsoft cuz it probably pisses you off that you don`t get it and its not a good buying option for you. But this console isn`t on the market for 360 owners... I feel your pain, but ****, no1 wans to hear you ranting about it.
Now, if you`re in the market for a next-gen console, the 360 elite has alot to offer you.
1. Actually, huge library of games (in comparison of ps3). tho in a year or so it may even out.
2. Faster loading times for games (vs ps3)
3. Multi platform games are being developped for the XBOX first, so the other versions are usually less good.
4. Game developpers find it more easy to develop games on the XBOX due to its 3 general-purpose processors. That probably means that more games will come out on Xbox360.
5. Included headset, HDMI cable. (ps3 dont)
6. Controllers have a good feel. (ps3 dont)
7. Possible HD-DVD capability (for an extra $200). I put this as an advantage because, if you dont want it you dont pay for it. And if you want it, well its better to have a separate unit play your high def dvds, this way you don`t use up your console. (remember how playing dvds made your last gen consoles screw up).
8. Peer to peer online (vs ps3 dedicated servers.) Well even if this usually means more lag in games, it also means developpers don`t have to spend extra money to include online support in their games. Ps3 devs must run dedicated servers which cost them money. And no1 guarantees they will support it forever.
9. Games look better. Go read reviews about it. No arguing here. Not bcuz the 360 is a better machine but see #3 and #4.
10. Because it was released first, has the market advantage.
1. You pay for online (ps3 is free)
2. Game developpers have to develop games with minimal hd use to accomodate all 360 owners since MS had the great idea to release a HD-less version of the 360.
3. Machine is less powerful than ps3. More limited in capacity. Might be overcome by ps3 2-3 years from now.
4. 360`s have a history of breaking down at a freaky rate. Some people report having to change their xbox up to 5 times since its release due to console failure. Thankfully microsoft replaces them (with refurbished parts). Don`t know if the new elite will be fixed, but buy the store exchange program if u can. (ps3 has had reports of console probles also, but comes nothing close to the plague-level of broken 360`s)
5. Xbox is sided with HD-DVD, a media that will probably lose the high definition media war due to its weak marketing strategy.
6. Nothing is free with xbox live.
7. Lack of good RPG games in its libary. Sony is known to hold the exclusives with many japanese RPG developpers. too bad.
8. Wireless internet connection is not included and costs $120 CAD (for the MS part) you can find a regular part for half that price though. (ps3 has it included)
Bottom line :
What makes this console a better choice has nothing to do with its specs as it is inferior to the ps3 in that area. Its the gaming community`s choice because a) it was released first b) has more games c) game developers like it more, making it the first choice.
Price is not and advantage at all with the 360. If you put both consoles in comparison, the 360 actually costs more. That is if you want it to have High def media capacity and wireless internet capability like the PS3.
A tough choice, but I`m going for the 360 elite when it comes out hoping it wont break for a while.Updated
Update on Con #7.
Square, the game developper behind the Final Fantasy series, and a leader in the RPG gaming scene has broken the exclusivity with sony and has announced that its next installment in the FF series will not be a ps3 exclusive.
This probably means that they will develop games for the 360.
This announcement alone has a huge effect on sony`s playsation fanbase. Go read the playstation and xbox forums. See how ps3 fans are crying and how xbox fans are laughing.Updated
Square, the game developper behind the very famous Final Fantasy game series, a leader in the RPG gaming scene, has just announced that it has broken the exclusives with sony and that the next installement in the FF series will not be a ps3 exclusive.
Though they haven`t confirmed it yet, its a safe assumption the next FF game is coming to X360.
This is a big blow to the sony fanbase. The forum community is shocked by this press release.Updated
I went and bought this system.
Here`s what I bought with it.
1 elite remote
1 play & charge kit
1 12 month xbox live card
1 wireless network adapter
1 extended warranty (Read down to see why)
Basic gear, nothing fancy here. Ended up laying down more than 1000$ (cdn) for the gaming system and to have it be online ready (1 year then another $60). Its far from the $550 price tag and might make you think twice before diving in the new-gen console market. Maybe you can save a few bucks if u don`t need the wireless adapter.
Picked up the 3-year extended warranty (100$cnd) from Future Shop. I was compelled to do it by the bad reputation the console has. All numerous reviews on the poor reliability for the xbox360 console and all the nightmare stories you can read from users who had to return theirs more than once were more than enough reason to grab the warranty.
I NEVER buy those extended warranty. I know they`re a rip-off. But they have proven useful to many xbox360 users who have had theirs fail. Get a brand new one instead of a refurb that won`t last past a few months.
16 out of 21 users found this user opinion helpful.
Some of you are not too smart
by srednasttam on April 10, 2007
Pros: 120GB, HDMI
Cons: No 65nm pro.
Summary: Alright, I can't believe how stupid some of your "reviews" are. First of all, MS isn't aiming this product at current 360 owners. DUH. *** would they? They don'...
Summary: Alright, I can't believe how stupid some of your "reviews" are. First of all, MS isn't aiming this product at current 360 owners. DUH. *** would they? They don't expect current owners to pony up more $$$.
Secondly, one of you completely left out the fact that the HDMI output is included. OMG it's only 1.2 and not 1.3? How dare they! Gimme a break. You clearly can't please everyone. If MS had released it with 1.3, people would complain about that. MS will always be this "evil" corporation that can do no right.
Lastly, who needs a 120GB HD? People who know that IPTV is being developed, that's who.
Your reviews are void if you're a fanboy. Make an objective review of the product, don't bash it purely to bash it. It's hilarious how anti-MS everyone is. Yet, if Apple does the same thing, it's OK.Updated
16 out of 25 users found this user opinion helpful.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
by Spywell on April 15, 2007
Pros: Black color 120gb Hard Drive
Cons: Product is not in retail yet (TBD)
Summary: This is great for anyone who hasn't purchased their new next gen consoles. The Elite system retails at $479.99. Also microsoft is selling the 120gb hdd (in gray, ...
Summary: This is great for anyone who hasn't purchased their new next gen consoles. The Elite system retails at $479.99. Also microsoft is selling the 120gb hdd (in gray, price TBD) Considering these prices anyone wanting an xbox360 and want the extra storage this system will be much cheaper than buying the hdd alone. A new xbox system is $399.99, a 20gb hdd cost $99.99, and lastly an Xbox360 Elite with 120gb hdd, black snazy casing, and HDMI support for $479.99 is a good price. Where a regular 360 with 120gb hdd would cost same as ps3.
All the ps3 flamers should stop it's imature why do you care so much keep your comments to yourselfs. Besides of all the ps3's I have tried to try, two were locked up and the third locked up two minutes after I started playing (in stores such as EB games and gamestop)
Games for ps3 too hard to write b/cuz of the processors. And the blue ray lags ps3 b/cuz it is so much slower than the current technology. Bluetooth took a leap and will not be ready for much much longer in the mean time all the titles for ps3 have gone to its main competitor (xbox)
14 out of 23 users found this user opinion helpful.
Excellent Software, TERRIBLE HARDWARE! This is a Slap in the Face to Early Adopters.
by mamyint on May 31, 2007
Pros: HDMI, 120 GB, Excellent Microsoft Game Studio Exclusives, Excellent Controller
Cons: TERRIBLE HARDWARE
Summary: I proudly purchased an Xbox the day it launched. I had so much fun playing Halo and was so impressed with the graphics of the Xbox 360 that I bought ...
Summary: I proudly purchased an Xbox the day it launched. I had so much fun playing Halo and was so impressed with the graphics of the Xbox 360 that I bought one even though I swore I would save up for a PS3.
First off, let me say that I loved Gears of War online. It goes down as the best online co-op experience I have ever had. No doubt about that. For that, I give the Xbox 360 serious props.
Now...my issues. First off, the hardware is terrible. How many people have had to suffer at the hands of the dreaded 3 red lights? I have...twice. I lost 2 months of my Xbox Live Gold subscription that I paid for due to repairs! Thankfully Microsoft didn't charge me a penny for the repairs, but as you can imagine, I was pretty ticked off.
I bought an Xbox 360 about a month after it came out. I was so happy when I got it and played Fight Night until my hands were sore. I was dazzled by the HD graphics. My PS2, god bless it, just couldn't compete...
Obviously, if Microsoft thought that HDMI and a larger (13.2 GB... after format...) hard drive were important, they probably should've added that in the first place. What I am so angry about is that not only is my "Premium" system no longer premium, but it would cost me $179 + tax to upgrade my HDD? AND I still don't have HDMI? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I spent $400+ on my console at launch for a faulty system and now I have to put another $200 down to get it somewhat close to the new "Elite"?
The white Xbox looks like crap compared to the new one. I feel so jipped. Is that how a loyal customer should feel?
I was so excited to play Mass Effect and Bioshock and Halo 3, but now I'm not nearly as excited anymore. Why? Because I have some second rate, reject Xbox 360 that I swear is going to break down at any minute. Rather than deal with my ticking time bomb, I was fortunate enough to find a friend who really wanted a 360. I was able to sell it to him for about $400. I took the loss on the controller and games.
Now I have more money to spend on PS3 games this fall/winter.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on the Xbox 360. I'm hating on Microsoft. They've got a pretty good package. The Xbox 360 is a pretty good deal overall. It's got some really sweet games and Xbox Live is fantastic.
But wake up people. The hardware BLOWS...that's not an opinion, it's a known fact. The hardware is inferior to the PS3. I would never spend $200 for an external HD-DVD player! Yeah you can get 1080p with it, but you get 1080p analog, not 1080p like you would with HDMI...Did anyone think of that?
I'm just pissed off at Microsoft for scamming me.
The Xbox 360 Elite looks great on paper, but it sure does suck when you're sitting on the phone talking to "Max" the retarded, automated help dude that answers every Xbox Support Call.
I don't want to talk to Max, I "effing" want to talk to Bill; to give him a piece of my mind for scamming me.Updated
HDMI 1.2?!?!?! What the $*#! is that all about? They add HDMI and still can't get it right...Would it kill them to add current technology to their "Elite" system?
Seriously...this is like a company releasing hardware with USB 1.1 ports or 802.11b Wi-Fi...Yeah it works, but it's a generation too late...
6 out of 8 users found this user opinion helpful.
Great choice for 1st Xbox!
by vgon82 on April 30, 2007
Pros: Excellent graphics, up-converts DVD's to HD (great quality), included HDMI cable a plus, 120GB Hard Drive
Cons: None that really affect me. It is a bit loud, but seriously, the sound of your games (or movies) will drown it out with no problem.
Summary: I bought the Xbox 360 Elite yesterday and so far I love everything about it. I am not a hard-core gamer (I have not owned a game console since the ...
Summary: I bought the Xbox 360 Elite yesterday and so far I love everything about it. I am not a hard-core gamer (I have not owned a game console since the Nintendo 64), but I wanted a next-generation console and decided to wait a bit. I hooked up the Xbox to my Samsung 32" HDTV and it looks amazing. I have only played Call of Duty 3 so far, but I have to say that I'm very impressed with the graphics and gameplay. I'm also getting Halo 3 as soon as I can. I like that there are many games for the Xbox 360 right now. The included wireless controller is great (my wife liked the fact that there will not be cables lying around). The included HDMI cable is a plus considering these can be expensive. I watched a couple of episodes of 24 using the Xbox and I have no complaints as far as quality. I can't find a difference between the Xbox DVD player and my current LG DVD player. They both up-convert very well with no visible differences. The 120GB HD might be a little too much, but I would rather have more space than I need than just enough.
I can't speak for those of you who already own an Xbox 360, bur for those of you who don't, I think the Xbox 360 Elite is a great choice for only $80 more than the Premium version. I know the PS3 has "better hardware", but it's too expensive, I don't really want a Blu-Ray player, and I don't need my game console to have Wi-Fi.
5 out of 6 users found this user opinion helpful.
Good update on a great system especially for people with HDTVs
by chrispgriffin on April 19, 2007
Pros: Sleek look, HDMI output, 120 GB hard drive
Cons: Integrated WiFi would have been cool...but not completely necessary
Summary: The Elite system is really geared towards the people that already have a HDTV and really want to show it off. But if you don't have an HDTV and ...
Summary: The Elite system is really geared towards the people that already have a HDTV and really want to show it off. But if you don't have an HDTV and like the look and the 120GB, you don't need an HDDVD drive. That's why the 360s are cheaper than the PS3 in the first place. You can't go wrong with either the Elite or the "normal" 360, especially when Halo 3 comes out. I do really like the expanded hard drive for all the new shows that the marketplace is coming out with though, good move.
5 out of 7 users found this user opinion helpful.
I'm See'in RED.......Red Rings that is.
by texbox on March 28, 2008
Pros: Great Gaming. Live is Excellent. Decent Hard Drive
Cons: Noisy operation. Reliability - lack of.
Summary: First I must say I really enjoy the Xbox. You already know why you want this machine. I bought my elite right before the release of Halo3. I waited hoping ...
Summary: First I must say I really enjoy the Xbox. You already know why you want this machine. I bought my elite right before the release of Halo3. I waited hoping that I would get the latest version of the xbox360. I waited till after all the bugs where worked out by the early adopters. The stories of overheating I attributed to noobs packing their console into too tight a place. The loud fan and drive noises had plenty of time to be corrected. This is what I thought.3-2009
After only a few months the happy green glow ring on my console turned red.
I found that this means my Xbox now qualifies for a free all expense paid round trip to Mc Allen, Texas. Once there it will spend February in a rehab facility where it can cool off while attending the mandatory xbox360 factory reunion. I am still waiting for my revised TexBox360 to return home but it is March now and it is Spring Break and Texas is warm………..
Updated on Mar 20, 2009
WOW almost exactly a year since my xbox360 Elite was returned. And Guess what just happened? You are right! My xbox has indicated (by the use of the red ring) that it would like to go back to Texas today the First day of spring. I knew that most xboxs are obligated to go for a factory reunion once, but I didn?t imagine that it was going to be yearly event! Of course MS pays it for but last time it was gone for about 50 days and the unit that was returned was not even the one I sent in. I still really enjoy my xbox gaming but this console design is STUPID. Why did you guys at MS decide to jam this noisy bunch of inefficient hardware into such a small box? Please rebuild mine twice as big, half as noisy and more reliable then I would be much happier.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Best game system I have ever owned
by boonez156 on March 8, 2008
Pros: 120 gig hard drive, black console, wireless controllers, great games, great graphics
Cons: system is very loud, big bulky power adapter
Summary: I have been a gamer from the start. From the Atari 2600, NES, Playstation, the original Xbox. This system is the best one yet with the original NES being a ...
Summary: I have been a gamer from the start. From the Atari 2600, NES, Playstation, the original Xbox. This system is the best one yet with the original NES being a close 2nd. The black color choice is great looks good sitting in the enertainment center. I like the fact that I can rip music to the hard drive or hook up my MP3 player to it. The games for it a great. Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 have been the best so far. The only negatives are the big bulky power adapter, you have to hide behind something and the fact that the system is very loud. Mine sounds like plane trying to take off. But I can take all that because once you start playing the games you forget about all the negatives.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
by MushroomStamper on March 26, 2008
Pros: Tons of storage
Cons: Standard dvd drive
Summary: I bought the Elite version the day Halo 3 came out. I love this thing the online is by far the best online service for a console. This thing has ...
Summary: I bought the Elite version the day Halo 3 came out. I love this thing the online is by far the best online service for a console. This thing has a huge hard drive and produces great graphics and sound. The dvd drive and the fan are very loud.Xbox live is cool but its cost money to use it.Overall I like this system very much.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
BEST GAMING EVER
by THE COMPUTER HEALER on February 26, 2008
Pros: XBOX LIVE, MASS EFFECT, BIOSHOCK
Cons: HD FAILURE ( three rings of death)
Summary: if you're a gamer you've most likely chosen your gaming syatem already. however if your one of those that are in between and you want to play games. ...
Summary: if you're a gamer you've most likely chosen your gaming syatem already. however if your one of those that are in between and you want to play games. buy this, period. the only con i have is the hd failure. i have the xbox 360 since launch and it took two years for my first one to break. that was one i purchased two weeks earlier. then the halo edition burn out after one month. then my trusted premium from two years ago bit the dust. the bright side within 3 weeks all three were back at my door brand new. with the 65nn chipset(supposedly no overheating, we'll see).
pros- apart from mario and two games on the ps3 you arent missing much chosing the xbox 360.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Microsoft
- Part number: B4J-00122
- Description: Xbox 360 Elite is the premier Xbox 360 console package that includes a massive hard drive, a high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) port, a high-definition cable, and a premium black finish. Xbox 360 Elite also includes a wireless controller and Xbox Live headset. Xbox 360 Elite has enough space for a whole library of Xbox Live Arcade games as well as downloadable high-definition TV shows, movies, music, and more.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Type Game console
- Internal Memory 120 GB HDD
- Media Type DVD
- CPU IBM PowerPC - 3.2 GHz ( Triple-Core )
- RAM 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM
- Graphics Controller ATI Xbox 360
- Video Memory 10 MB
- Sound Surround Sound
- Network Fast Ethernet
- Color Black
- Type Xbox 360 Wireless Controller - Wireless
- Controls X button,
Dual analog sticks,
- Max External Resolution 1920 x 1080
- Supported Video Modes 480p,
- Connector Type 1 x AV cable port,
3 x USB 2.0,
1 x Ethernet ( RJ-45 ),
1 x HDMI
- Included Accessories Xbox Live headset,
Component HD AV cable,
Ethernet network cable,
- Compatibility MS Windows XP Media Center compatible
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller (31520707)14.99 - 34.94
- Cyborg F.L.Y. 9 Wireless Flight Stick - joystick - wireless (34359860)79.99 - 159.96
- HORI Real Arcade PRO.EX - game pad - wired (34571246)231.92
- Mad Catz Call of Duty : Black Ops PrecisionAIM Controller - game pad - wired (34206353)34.79
- Mad Catz Cleveland Browns GamePad Pro - game pad - wired (32797474)39.99
- Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightPad Blanka - game pad - wired (33892059)69.99
- Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightPad Ryu - game pad - wired (33891536)119.95
- Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Round 2 FightStick Tournament Edition - game pad - wired (34095690)264.99
- Mad Catz Wireless Racing Wheel - wheel - wireless (34820486)159.99 - 162.99
- Mad Catz Xbox 360 GamePad game pad - wired (31894749)24.99
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable - data cable (34168277)8.95 - 19.99
- Datel Wireless 'N' Networking Adapter - network adapter (34520952)44.02 - 74.91
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter (33876987)54.99
- Xbox 360 Wireless Headset (Black) (34168281)53.97
- dreamGEAR Dreamline Multi Cable - game console audio / video cable kit - component / composite / S-Video / audio / digital audio (33542931)16.56 - 19.97
- Mad Catz WWE All STARS BrawlStick arcade stick - wired (34657734)71.05 - 85.65
- dreamGEAR TriMount - game console motion sensor mount (34857127)22.81 - 29.99
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable - data cable (35101448)14.99 - 18.00
- Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 - headset (35015321)44.61 - 65.58
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Wireless Headset with Bluetooth - headset (35054278)39.99 - 69.99