2010 Mini Cooper S
Manufacturer: Mini Part number: 101235884
- Bottom Line:
- The Mini Cooper S can be polarizing with its style over substance cabin and harsh, performance-oriented ride, but with a list of options longer than the car itself, it's easy to make the Cooper your own.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price From Edmunds.com|| || || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 04/19/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $22,300.00
- Reviewed by: Antuan Goodwin
- Reviewed on: 03/05/2010
The good: The Mini Cooper S is one of the best-handling compact cars we've tested. Acceleration is surprisingly good and steering is quick and direct, particularly with Sport mode activated. Wide arrays of technology and performance upgrades are available as options.
The bad: Fully optioned, the Cooper S can get quite expensive. The ride is harsh and turbo lag is an issue. Cabin controls are scattered confusingly around the dashboard. Navigation is DVD-based and Bluetooth doesn't feature audio streaming or phonebook import.
The bottom line: The Mini Cooper S can be polarizing with its style over substance cabin and harsh, performance-oriented ride, but with a list of options longer than the car itself, it's easy to make the Cooper your own.
Sporty and quick
by Dnepr Dave on December 31, 2010
Pros: I like the styling, it's got character, unlike most other cars. It corners like a go-kart and is very quick.
Cons: I don't like that it doesn't have basic gages, like oil pressure and water temperature, but those are available in the aftermarket. Still, it should come with more gages. Also, the throttle should be mapped linear for more smooth starts from stopped.
Summary: The video review mentioned a harsh ride, I have to disagree, it is a bit stiff, but not at all harsh, it wouldn't corner like it does if it ...
Summary: The video review mentioned a harsh ride, I have to disagree, it is a bit stiff, but not at all harsh, it wouldn't corner like it does if it were built for a smooth ride. The video review also mentioned turbo lag, this car has a very small turbo, there is little to no lag, what the reviewer experienced was throttle delay. It has an electronic gas pedal that is mapped in the engine control unit with a bit of delay, so that when you are first starting to push the pedal, nothing happens, then it opens up quickly. It is all in the factory programming. Pushing the sport mode button takes much of this out. The radio controls are kind of odd, but after a week of driving it, you won't give them a second thought, you can adjust the volume and change the channels from the steering wheel anyway. The automatic transmission can be shifted manually, either by bumping the floor shifter back, for a higher gear or forward, for a lower gear. It also has paddle shifters on the steering wheel, that work the same way. Shifting the automatic, in manual mode changes gears as fast or faster than you could do it with a clutch. I think it is the best of both worlds. Pushing the sport mode button also changes the shift points in the automatic transmission, if you don't care to shift it manually.
All in all, it is the most fun to drive car I've had in a long time.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
2011 MCS a great little car!
by Kev50027 on July 25, 2011
Pros: Performance, styling, quality. Storage space is surprising for such a small car, as is headroom. Customizability is outstanding, with almost infinite factory options, and a ton of aftermarket options. The noises it makes are great, from the pop and burbl
Cons: Pricey options, even though it can be a very manly car, many people see it as "girly"--until you take them for a ride in it.
Summary: The 2011 MINI Cooper S is a blast to drive, and the "pop and burble" when you let up off the throttle is simply awesome. Sound quality with the Harmon ...
Summary: The 2011 MINI Cooper S is a blast to drive, and the "pop and burble" when you let up off the throttle is simply awesome. Sound quality with the Harmon Kardon system is top notch, and the quality of the interior has gotten a lot better in 2011 model year cars. The base radio controls (no nav) is great, easy to use and it fits well with the style of the car overall. Some may not like the quirky interior, but I like it, I'm tired of boring old BMW interiors. It's easy to park, you can pretty much fit it sideways into a spot, and it has a LOT more personality than most new cars. From the tone of the turning signal to the noise that the door makes as you shut it, this car does everything it can to make you smile, whether you're a girl buying it because it's "cute" or a guy buying it because it handles like a dream. Speaking of handling, it can out-handle anything on the road. 911 owners annoying you? Laugh at them as you carve corners quicker in a car costing less than half of theirs. I'm completely serious, this MINI may not be as quick to 60 as muscle cars or an M3, but when it comes to handling, it manages to get massive amounts of grip despite so little rubber. For the base price, you get a lot of performance and fun, but options are expensive, and I easily added over $10,000 to the price. That said, with all of the options the car is a lot nicer, and it's still a deal compared to even the cheapest 1 series BMW.
Very solid and fun car to drive
by teamrubixcube on April 5, 2011
Pros: One of the quickest hatchbacks on the road, can feel every horse. Handles on rails. Makes you smile every day.
Cons: Cold Start issues --> have been fixed I believe.
Summary: I'm not sure if the review was completely correct. I have a 2007 MCS with the Nav system and I have my address book working through bluetooth. It works ...
Summary: I'm not sure if the review was completely correct. I have a 2007 MCS with the Nav system and I have my address book working through bluetooth. It works flawlessly. This car is an absolute blast to drive and can get you in trouble if you're not careful. Thousands of ways to customize it and make it your own...I have yet to see two MINIs which are identical to one another.
Every day when I get out to walk into work I look back at least 2 or 3 times just admiring the looks of it. Even though they are a bit pricey, there aren't too many other hatchbacks that are true sport and luxury cars in one. It does everything well.
This is my personal car & for autox
by 58clarise on March 27, 2011
Pros: It's cute, funny, quick, compact, full of details, lovely exhaust notes, great stereo. I've never felt cramped even though it's VERY tiny. My gas mileage runs about 10% over estimates, & i've got my foot in it all the time. I bought this car for aut
Cons: Stiff ride comes partly from factory run-flat tires. Actually they were thinking of us so this is somewhat forgivable.[Just where would that spare go anyway?] The stiffness in the steering mostly comes from the same place...factory run-flat tires. In comp
Summary: This car has given me way more than I ever expected. Every time I go out the door with keys in hand & see it......I smile. It is a ...
Summary: This car has given me way more than I ever expected. Every time I go out the door with keys in hand & see it......I smile. It is a joy to have a MINI parked in my carport. I t's shortcomings are nothing that I would have found to be surprising. As far as performance goes, it is a worthy competitor in it's class......It doesn't feel small at all.
this car its a peace of art
by fido1988 on January 26, 2011
Pros: the handling is awesome in that car u feel every single horse under the hood its special in way i cant describe it but wt u will most enjoy is interior witch have cool buttons
Cons: lacks options like blue-tooth audio streaming and the most important thing it doesn't have electronics chair what kind of car u buy these days doesn't have that option? and price is way to high for a car in that size with that speed its so bad Value
- Manufacturer: Mini
- Part number: 101235884
- Bottom Line: The Mini Cooper S can be polarizing with its style over substance cabin and harsh, performance-oriented ride, but with a list of options longer than the car itself, it's easy to make the Cooper your own.
Basic car properties
- Body style Coupe/Hatchback
- Available Engine Gas
- Smart airbags Standard
- Antilock brakes Standard
- Traction control Standard
- Stability control Standard
- Roadside assistance Standard
- Adaptive cruise control Standard
- Rain-sensitive wipers Optional
- HD radio Optional
- Satellite radio Optional
- Video entertainment system Optional
- Connection for portable MP3 sound system Standard
- MP3 CD-enabled sound system Standard
- USB connection Optional
- Smart (set-and-forget) climate control Optional
- Heated/cooled seats Optional
- Two-way security system Standard
- 12V power outlet Standard
- Drivetrain available Front-drive
- Trip computer Standard
- Voice activated navigation Optional
- DVD navigation system (non-GPS) Optional
- Bluetooth phone interface Optional
- Home automation integration Optional
- Atrend 10" Dual Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure for 2002 or Later Avalanche/Escalade Trucks, Charcoal (33387192)62.75 - 81.99
- Atrend 10" Dual Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure for 2002 or Later Dodge Ram Quad Cab Trucks, Charcoal (33411282)78.26
- Atrend A102-12Cp B Box Series 12-Inch Dual Down-Fire Subwoofer Boxes (33577506)71.73 - 108.64
- Alpine V-Power MRP F250 - amplifier (31696476)139.99
- BOSS BLADE BL1000 - amplifier (33576850)134.99
- BOSS CHAOS EXXTREME CX1250 - amplifier (33576878)96.75 - 149.99
- Audiovox EX50 LCD monitor (31317462)103.96
- BOSS BV 7330 DVD player with LCD monitor, AM/FM tuner, digital player (34854427)90.00 - 136.00
- BOSS BV 7335B DVD player with LCD monitor, AM/FM tuner, digital player (34981409)114.75 - 152.00
- Alpine SXE 1750S - car speaker (31942988)39.95 - 51.00
- Audiovox Jensen POWERPLUS693 - car speaker (32575790)49.95 - 49.99
- BOSS OUTCAST LA6CS - car speaker (33578587)48.63 - 49.99
- Magellan RoadMate 1700-MU - GPS receiver (34755088)116.51 - 163.50
- Garmin nüvi 40LM GPS receiver (35022291)99.88 - 169.40
- Garmin nuvi 1490LMT (34168097)13.49 - 279.99