Canon Vixia HF R300 (Black)
Manufacturer: Canon Part number: 5978B001
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 5.0 stars out of 1 review
- Experience the compact, easy-to-use camcorder that captures breathtaking Full HD video while offering impressive zooming power and exciting creative options. Superb imaging is ensured with a sensitive Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and Canon's exclusive DIGIC DV III Image Processor. Video is steady and clear even at the large end of the 51x Advanced Zoom, ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 03/10/2014
Much More Expensive Models!
by Amos-E on March 1, 2013
Pros: Lot of options and adjustments.
Records very good video and easy to use automatic mode.
Great image stabilization.
Great image stabilization.
Cons: Only one SD slot card.
Lack of wall charger.
Summary: I have been using a Sony HC-3 High Definition Camcorder since 2006 with very good results. The HC-3 records to mini-DV tapes. I purchased the R300 to save time by ...
Summary: I have been using a Sony HC-3 High Definition Camcorder since 2006 with very good results. The HC-3 records to mini-DV tapes. I purchased the R300 to save time by not having to deal with the hassle and expense of finding and using tape. To transfer two hours of video to my computer from the HC-3 it takes an additional two hours. The Canon HF R300 records to files of a number of different resolutions, compressions and formats. Many can be used without any re-encoding before being either uploaded to YouTube or written to Blueray discs. This is a huge time saver for me and the primary reason that I purchased this camcorder.
It does come stock with a very small battery and I understand other users frustrations. I have always purchased at least a couple of extra batteries immediately for every camcorder that I have ever purchased. Taking video and especially high definition video has always been a power hungry application. Most of the video that I take is actually in auditoriums; the first thing that I do is try to find a good spot that has both a good view of the stage and a power outlet. I have always had issues with batteries giving out on me at the most inopportune times.
I purchased my Vixia in a bundle that included an additional OEM medium capacity battery, a case, and an 8gig SD card. I immediately purchased two additional generic high capacity batteries and a wall charger for $24 including shipping. With three extra batteries I have the battery capacity that I need even if I am not able to park myself next to an outlet during an event and I got it all at a price that I cannot even mention here because it was so low.
My Sony HC-3 has a 1/3" CMOS sensor and it had the best low light capabilities of any consumer camcorder in 2006. The Canon HF R300 has a smaller 1/4.85" CMOS with more pixels, so it is at a disadvantage because each pixel is receiving a smaller amount of light at a given brightness level. However there have been improvements in both pixel sensitivity and density over the years and the Canon HF R300 while not quite as good as some higher priced camcorders in low light... is more than adequate for what I use it for. The results are very similar to my Sony HC-3. For what I use it for the most the 30x zoom lens is a very big plus as compared to the 10x lens in my Sony HC-3 and the more expensive Canons. I am willing to give up a little in low light sensitivity for the more powerful zoom.
For my purposes the ability to plug in an external microphone or the line out of a PA system or mixer is essential. Every camcorder that I have purchased over the past 30 years has always had the capability to plug in an external sound source or microphone. The Sony HC-3 did not initially have a mic jack but both bluetooth mics and a mic jack adapter was available which added the mic or line input through the hot shoe. An external mic jack is generally available on most high end camcorders, but on less expensive camcorders this is one of the first options to be dropped. So I am very grateful that the Canon HF R300 has both an external mic jack and a headphone jack.
Every camcorder in this price range is going to have a few compromises. Mine came bundled with adequate batteries and I purchased additional high capacity batteries and a wall charger for a nominal amount so I do not consider that to be a negative. My assumption is that Canon will most likely include a larger battery on this coming years model. I would have appreciated a hot shoe for powered accessories such as a light or bluetooth microphone. This camcorder has a lot of options and adjustments that can be accessed through the menu system; it would have been nice if a few of these could have been accessed through programmable buttons. I also would have loved a LANC terminal so that I could control the Zoom and other functions from a tripod.
Overall this is an incredible camcorder for the price. It has too many features to list in my review. I especially appreciate the choice in file formats, frame rates, resolution and compression. This allows a user to easily burn a DVD that will play HD video in a blueray player without re-encoding. It also allows one to upload HD content to YouTube without re-encoding. This is a feature that is a big improvement over the prior years comparable Canon Camcorders. Inexplicably this major improvement is not mentioned in most reviews, but will save me hours of time and frustration.
This is an incredibly versatile camcorder with a lot of hidden bells and whistles. It records very good video and has an easy to use automatic mode, but enough options to keep a more experienced user happy, lastly I suggest check for best deal of this camcorder at: Flashmemory-camcorders.blogspot.com/p/canon-vixia-hf-r300.html
Thank for reading and hope this review is helpful for who looking for some worth camcorder.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Canon
- Part number: 5978B001
- Description: Experience the compact, easy-to-use camcorder that captures breathtaking Full HD video while offering impressive zooming power and exciting creative options. Superb imaging is ensured with a sensitive Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and Canon's exclusive DIGIC DV III Image Processor. Video is steady and clear even at the large end of the 51x Advanced Zoom, thanks to SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization and Intelligent IS. The VIXIA HF R300 is equipped with flexible features to suit your shooting and sharing needs, and a modern interface makes the large Flat Touch Panel LCD simpler than ever. Record in AVCHD or MP4 format to a removable SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card. And with Cinema-Look Filters and Touch Decoration, you can be sure that your videos express yourself like never before.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder - 1080p
- Camcorder Sensor Resolution 3.28 megapixels
- Effective Video Resolution 2.07 megapixels
- Digital Zoom 1020 x
- Effective Photo Resolution 2.07 megapixels
- Camcorder Media Type Flash card
- Optical Sensor Size 1/4.85"
- Optical Sensor Type CMOS
- Min Illumination 0.4 lux
- Analog video format NTSC
- Digital Video Format MPEG-4,
- Special Effects Old Movie,
- Image Stabilizer Optical (Dynamic SuperRange)
- Min Shutter Speed 1/2 sec
- Image Processor DIGIC DV III
- Max Shutter Speed 1/2000 sec
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode
- Shooting Programs Snow,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Daylight,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces HDMI,
- Type 32 x x Zoom lens - 2.8 mm - 89.6 mm - F/1.8-4.5
- Lens aperture F/1.8-4.5
- Features Built-in lens shield
- Optical Zoom 32 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 2.8 mm
- Max focal length 89.6 mm
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 38.5 - 1232 mm
- Focus Adjustment Automatic
- Min Focus Range 0.4 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
- Additional Features Story Creator,
Touch & Track technology,
Intelligent Image Stabilisation (IS),
24p Cinema Mode,
RGB primary color filter,
Eye-Fi Card Ready ,
Dolby Digital AC-3 (2 channel) recording,
Video Snapshot mode,
Auto Backlight Compensation,
USB 2.0 compatibility
- Software Drivers & Utilities,
Canon ImageBrowser EX,
Pixela Transfer Utility,
PIXELA Image Mixer
- Included Accessories HDMI cable,
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 3 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x Component video output,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x HDMI output,
1 x Hi-Speed USB,
1 x Microphone,
1 x Headphones
- Microphone Features Sensitivity control,
Memory / Storage
- Media type Flash card
- Supported Memory Cards SD Memory Card
- Image Storage JPEG 1920 x 1080
- Video Capture AVCHD - 1920 x 1080 - 24Mbps - Require SDHC Class 4 or higher,
AVCHD - 1920 x 1080 - 17Mbps - Require SDHC Class 4 or higher,
AVCHD - 1440 x 1080 - 12Mbps,
AVCHD - 1440 x 1080 - 7Mbps,
AVCHD - 1440 x 1080 - 5Mbps,
MPEG-4 - 1280 x 720 - 9Mbps,
MPEG-4 - 1280 x 720 - 4Mbps
- Video Recording Modes LP,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Supported Battery Canon BP-709
- Supported Battery Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Parts and labor - 1 year
- Min Operating Temperature 23 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 113 °F
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Width 2.1 in
- Depth 4.5 in
- Height 2.2 in
- Weight 8.8 oz
- KATA D-Light Capsule-181 DL - protective case for camcorder (35033784)119.89
- Porta-Brace CH-2 Camera Holster - holster bag for camcorder (33173626)77.25 - 99.00
- Manfrotto 585 Modosteady 3-in-1 Multifunction Camcorder Stabilizer (32778990)84.95
- ACCESSORY KIT (35097691)89.99 - 94.95
- Sony ACC-FP71 - camcorder accessory kit (31768260)73.00 - 87.99
- Sony ACC-HDV7 digital camera accessory kit (33969762)129.99
- KATA D-Light Capsule-185 DL - protective case for camcorder (35033780)129.95
- KATA GDC HDV Case CC-193 - case for camcorder (32959760)84.95
- Norazza Ape Case ACPRO1900 - case for camcorder (35170265)107.55 - 179.99
- Panasonic AG-YUSC60H - soft case for camcorder (31318287)129.99