Manufacturer: JVC Part number: GRD250
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 2.5 stars out of 6 reviews
- GRD250 MINI DV camcorder is equipped with a 25x optical zoom and JVC's Low Light Plus, which combines the company's 3D noise reduction with an F1.2 Super Bright lens to deliver superior low-light performance. Flicker is eliminated and color reproduction is improved. Data Battery function gives users a one-touch view in the LCD or viewfinder of remaining ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/29/2014
CNET editors' take
A great budget family camcorder!
by herrfish1 on December 17, 2005
Pros: Easy to operate; wide zoom range; good video quality
Cons: Awkward loading of video tape
Summary: We've had this camcorder for a few weeks now and it has exceeded our expectations. For less than $300.00, it is a GREAT buy for a family camcorder. ...
Summary: We've had this camcorder for a few weeks now and it has exceeded our expectations. For less than $300.00, it is a GREAT buy for a family camcorder. It has a wide zoom range, very good picture quality, good sound, and is very easy to use. Loading the video tape is somewhat awkward, but you get used to it soon. The battery life is pretty short (less than an hour), so some folks might need an extra battery or a longer life battery.
Overall, it's a keeper,so far!
2 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Find another brand
by jkotz on July 31, 2006
Pros: Initially, the price was good
Cons: The load/eject mechanism malfunctioned constantly
Summary: I used the camera 3 times in one year. The second time I used the camera, I had problems getting my tape out of the unit. The third time, the ...
Summary: I used the camera 3 times in one year. The second time I used the camera, I had problems getting my tape out of the unit. The third time, the same mechanism malfunctioned and heated up the camera to where it melted the case. The camera is unusable after 3 uses. I don't recommend this unit for anyone. Not worth half the money.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Owned for two years - Sturdy, simple, cheap
by brynf on July 15, 2009
Pros: Good auto focus, turns off when LCD screen is closed (if viewfinder isn't extended), great zoom, good video quality. Has easy to understand controls, Manual or Auto (M or A) modes which are easy to change between, it's robust and for a good price!
Cons: Image stabilisation not very effective, hand held shots are shaky, especially once zoom is used. Doesn't perform too well in lower light levels (shots are grainy and blueish).
Summary: I used this product to film skateboarding over two years before it broke (it was dropped and cracked, then condensation error kept occurring). The GR-D250 was entirely adequate for my ...
Summary: I used this product to film skateboarding over two years before it broke (it was dropped and cracked, then condensation error kept occurring). The GR-D250 was entirely adequate for my requirements. Auto focus remained focused on skater even at high speeds while following them, and the camera coped well in most daylight situations it was exposed to. I usually just turned camera onto Auto setting and away I went filming without a hassle, however another good thing about this JVC was that it had a separate Manual setting - for those who wanted to get into more detail with there shots than I did. The bottom line is, if you are wanting a simple MiniDV camera that takes good quality footage and is robust, yet still affordable, then i would recommend the JVC-GR-D250.
Not even good as a rental
by keiichi0908 on March 17, 2008
Pros: It turns on, works with Final Cut Express.
Cons: Low battery life, poor recording quality.
Summary: I rented this camcorder for some emergency video work, and what a mistake it's been!
Please keep in mind that this review is on a used camcorder, and may ...
Summary: I rented this camcorder for some emergency video work, and what a mistake it's been!
Please keep in mind that this review is on a used camcorder, and may or may not be valid for a new camcorder.
The battery life was typically 40 minutes on a full charge, or 60 minutes playback on a full charge. I was tempted to plug the camcorder in while recording, but I would lose all of my mobility... and isn't that the point of a small camcorder?
Light correction, mic pickup, and lens focus were subpar. When I focused on my target, the light correction never quite compensated for the soft light in the background and ended up casting a shadow over all of my subjects. At a distance of 10 feet, the mic pickup was horrible as well, resulting in my having to completely re-edit the audio in the video (i.e. raising levels, filtering, filtering, FILTERING!).
I use a Macbook Pro for editing my videos - the JVC GR-D250 does work with Final Cut Express, but doesn't work with iMovie (iMovie doesn't see the camcorder).
Much can't be said for the video that comes out from this camcorder - you can see the lines from the interlaced video when the camera is panning, even at a slow rate. It sometimes even flickers a bit when adjusting for different light.
Overall, not too impressed with the camcorder - very glad that it was a rental, and not mine to keep. I would suggest a Panasonic PV-GS320 if you were looking into buying this camcorder.
by raymoondo on November 13, 2006
Pros: easy to use, great sound and video quality, good options
Cons: no video light, no software, no USB port
Summary: This was an excellent camera for the price. The sound is amazing, and the video quality was that of a mini-dv camcorder. I was kind of upset when I found ...
Summary: This was an excellent camera for the price. The sound is amazing, and the video quality was that of a mini-dv camcorder. I was kind of upset when I found out that there was no software for the camcorder and that there was no USB port. A video light would be nice too.
Decent but not reliable
by rrl34x on March 3, 2006
Pros: Good options, decent quality, easy to use
Cons: Unreliable, disappointing customer service
Summary: WE HAVE HAD THIS CAMCORDER FOR 3 MONTHS AND IT HAS NEEDED THE HEADS CLEANED TWICE. IN MY EXPERIENCE, THAT IS NOT NORMAL. SO WE TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL ...
Summary: WE HAVE HAD THIS CAMCORDER FOR 3 MONTHS AND IT HAS NEEDED THE HEADS CLEANED TWICE. IN MY EXPERIENCE, THAT IS NOT NORMAL. SO WE TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL JVC CERTIFIED REPAIR SHOP AND THEY COULD FIND NOTHING WRONG. THEY SAID THE HEADS WERE CLEANED AND IT LOOKS FINE. HOPEFULLY THEY ARE RIGHT, BUT IT IS STILL ODD THAT THIS HAPPENED. I HAVE ALSO CONTACTED JVC AND THEY SAID IF THE SERVICE CENTER DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I REALLY JUST WISH THAT THEY WERE EASIER TO DEAL WITH. IF I WERE CONSIDERING BUYING ANOTHER CAMCORDER, AND I AM, I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER JVC.
I UNDERSTAND THAT SOMETIMES THINGS HAPPEN, BUT WHEN THEY DO YOU EXPECT A BIG COMPANY LIKE THIS TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMER AND IN THIS CASE THEY DIDN'T.
0 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: JVC
- Part number: GRD250
- Description: GRD250 MINI DV camcorder is equipped with a 25x optical zoom and JVC's Low Light Plus, which combines the company's 3D noise reduction with an F1.2 Super Bright lens to deliver superior low-light performance. Flicker is eliminated and color reproduction is improved. Data Battery function gives users a one-touch view in the LCD or viewfinder of remaining battery and recording time. This camcorder series features a new design that makes it easy to take along and easy to use. The unique design combines a compact camera body with a handgrip that is ideally sized to be comfortable and secure to hold. One-touch convenience of the new Data Battery function displays battery power and calculates remaining recording time with the power on or off to prevent users from running out of power during mid-shooting. Also, to make shooting easier, JVC's Clear-View LCD monitor suppresses diffusion of internal light to deliver a brighter, clearer image, and also reduces reflection and glare from external light so that images are always clearly visible even when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight. For superior image quality, GRD250 camcorder features a Super High-Band Processor that restores the high-band components of the luminance signal to ensure a crisp, clear picture.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder
- Digital Zoom 800 x
- Camcorder Media Type Mini DV
- Optical Sensor Size 1/6"
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Special Effects Monotone,
- Image Stabilizer Electronic
- Digital Scene Transition Black & white fader,
- Shooting Programs Surf & snow,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Fine,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Webcam capability Yes
- AV Interfaces Composite video
- Type 25 x x Zoom lens - 2.2 mm - 55 mm - F/1.8-3.2
- Lens aperture F/1.8-3.2
- Optical Zoom 25 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 2.2 mm
- Max focal length 55 mm
- Filter Size 27 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- DV input Yes
- Additional Features Display brightness control,
- Included Accessories Lens cap,
Power adapter with battery charger,
A/V cable kit
- Viewfinder Type LCD
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size 0.16 in
- Type 2.5 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK),
1 x DC power input,
1 x Composite video/audio output
- Microphone Features Wind noise reduction
Memory / Storage
- Media type Mini DV
- Video Recording Modes LP,
- Supported Battery JVC BN-VF707U
- Supported Battery 1 x JVC BN-VF707U Li-ion rechargeable battery - 700 mAh ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Mfr estimated battery life 1.5 hour(s)
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Width 2.2 in
- Depth 4.4 in
- Height 3.7 in
- Weight 0.9 lbs