Kodak Playsport (Black)
Manufacturer: Kodak Part number: 1442102
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || See Site || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/24/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $245.99
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 05/27/2010
The good: Excellent video for its class; waterproof to 10 feet; HDMI cable included; very good sharing software.
The bad: No built-in USB connector; short battery life at highest resolution; no memory card; sharing software is Windows only.
The bottom line: The Kodak Playsport is an excellent minicamcorder that can take some rough treatment and capture solid HD video.
Both doors jammed in locked position, could not open!
by Kepeli2 on September 26, 2011
Pros: Video quality, waterproof, battery life, underwater correction mode.
Cons: Kodak customer service, questionable door quality. Would not recomment for saltwater use.
Summary: I purchased the camera for saltwater use which it is rated for. During the first day of my vacation the compartment door for the memory card would not unlock, not ...
Summary: I purchased the camera for saltwater use which it is rated for. During the first day of my vacation the compartment door for the memory card would not unlock, not a big deal I figured I would use the other compartment and hook up the cable to get my video off the memory card. After the third day the other compartment door started to become difficult to unlock and by the 4th day it was completely jammed. I now could no longer get any pics/videos off the camera and because this door was jammed I could not plug in the cable for charging. I read some reviews on a few other sites and read about the doors becoming jammed but I figured it was just a problem here and there. If I had to guess even tho they state the camera is fine in saltwater, the door locking mechanism is affected by the salt.
Excellent, cheap, waterproof camera
by beeroge1020 on September 21, 2011
Pros: excellent video quality, good picture quality, feels sturdy, has survived multiple uses in water including falls down slides at Atlantis in Bahamas
Cons: no built in light, microphone can be muffled if you don't blow or shake water out after being submerged
This thing is cool
by noaesthetic1 on August 3, 2011
Pros: Takes video
Cons: Kind of big
Yet another leaked Playsport
by GianniBrook on July 16, 2011
Pros: Videoing is good underwater (until it unexpectedly leaks)
Cons: Poor indoor quality. Can't take snapshots whilst videoing. Can't use normal batteries. Leaks after a while and goes dead.
Summary: Mine went dead after a few weeks of use. It was during my holiday when i was doing my very first snorkel with turtles. Whilst others captured great footage with ...
Summary: Mine went dead after a few weeks of use. It was during my holiday when i was doing my very first snorkel with turtles. Whilst others captured great footage with their other model underwater cameras my day/holiday/memory was ruined. The whole thing just went dead. Lots of better under water cams out there to buy.
Nice toy, but did not last(ZX3)
by mperlst216 on July 12, 2011
Pros: Fun to shoot video underwater. Looks good at 720.
Cons: Used it one time last year. Now it does not work. Will not power up or take charge. Still photos ware not very good.
Summary: Would not buy another. Maybe new model is better. Does not hold up.
Summary: Would not buy another. Maybe new model is better. Does not hold up.
by sarwadevb on July 10, 2011
Just bought it. :)
by ad2mvn on July 9, 2011
Pros: Waterproof, With Li-Ion battery, Memory Card Slot, Clear videos, easy to carry, looks durable.
Cons: Playback volume is too low, that you have to adjust in the settings, no flash, limited zoom, file format of videos (MOV).
Summary: I really needed an HD camera for vlogging, and it's a perfect example of waterproof and easy to carry camera. I seriously hope this camera will last for at ...
Summary: I really needed an HD camera for vlogging, and it's a perfect example of waterproof and easy to carry camera. I seriously hope this camera will last for at least a year in my hands.
by footballkid50 on May 15, 2011
Pros: durable, good grip, fast turn on, waterproof
Cons: short battery life, finger prints around lens
Bad battery wont connect; so now its useless.
by digiali on April 25, 2011
Pros: Great video. My kids took it underwater and I was amazed at how great the quality was. My daughter took this on a hike. Had it turned on inside a viewable back pack pocket and the video was not as shaky as you would expect.
Cons: The battery slot became loose and would not take a charge. I had to return the first one within two weeks of purchase. Now its 4 months later and the second one is having the same problem; rendering it useless. Not worth the price if I cant use it. Ha
The best in the price range
by belting69 on April 15, 2011
HDMI and USB connectivity
Windows compatible format
Cons: No button to take stills
Must reset H2O mode everytime it's turned on
Summary: I've had this camera for a couple weeks now. Before I had this one I tried the GE DV1. I sent the GE back after the first outing in ...
Summary: I've had this camera for a couple weeks now. Before I had this one I tried the GE DV1. I sent the GE back after the first outing in the pool, it was not waterproof as advertised. The Kodak has been in the pool several times now. Pictures of the Grandkids diving for objects on the bottom of the pool are crystal clear. I use the 720/60fps setting for great action shots. It is light and compact and fits in my pocket. The sound is good.
I like that the USB is a separate plug and not a integral part of the camcorder. With the GE DV1 I worried about the USB connector breaking. I love the HDMI connectivity. I have a 52" Sony with HDMI plug on the side. When we want to view the videos I just plug it in and we can watch all the action in glorious HD.
Overall I'm very happy withthis purchase.
- Manufacturer: Kodak
- Part number: 1442102
- Description: Heads up, adrenaline junkies. The Kodak Playsport has as much appetite for adventure as you do. And it's not afraid to get wet. This audacious little camera can plunge up to 10 feet under water and capture the entire experience in full 1080p HD. And you don't need to worry about blurry footage when things get a little shaky. With built-in image stabilization, the Kodak Playsport will stay steady as a rock. From the waves, to the slopes, to the mud-soaked trails, this baby was made for the extremes.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder - 1080p
- Enclosure Color Black
- Camcorder Sensor Resolution 5 megapixels
- Effective Photo Resolution 5 megapixels
- Total Pixels 5.0 megapixels
- Camcorder Media Type Flash card
- Image Stabilizer Electronic
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode
- White Balance Automatic
- Exposure Modes Automatic
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces HDMI,
- Type Lens - 5.54 mm - F/2.8
- Lens aperture F/2.8
- Lens system type Lens
- Min focal length 5.54 mm
- Focus Adjustment Focus free
- Additional Features YouTube capture mode,
USB 2.0 compatibility
- Software Drivers & Utilities,
- Included Accessories Wrist strap,
Audio / video cable
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 2 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x USB,
1 x HDMI output,
1 x Composite video/audio output
Memory / Storage
- Media type Flash card
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SD Memory Card
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support Apple Mac OS X 10.4 or later,
MS Windows Vista,
MS Windows 7,
MS Windows XP SP2
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Protection Crushproof,
- Underwater Depth Up to 9.8 ft
- Supported Battery Kodak KLIC 7004
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Mono
- Microphone technology Electret condenser
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
- Battery type - Lithium ion
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Built-in
- Hoodman Camcorder Mounting Strap LCD screen hood loupe strap (34879378)24.99
- Lowepro Digital Video Case 30 - pouch for camcorder (34580141)20.94
- Vanguard BIIN 17 - shoulder bag for camcorder (35263239)22.95 - 27.59
- Vanguard BIIN 8H - carrying bag for camcorder (35263244)10.33 - 20.70
- Vanguard BIIN 8H - carrying bag for camcorder (35263251)10.33 - 18.80
- Veho Extreme Sports Pack for Muvi camcorder accessory kit (34879765)17.99 - 19.99
- Sony LCS BBH/B - case for camcorder (35153999)24.99
- Sony LCS BBG/B - soft case for camcorder (35136296)24.99
- Sony LCJ TSA/W - case for camcorder (34576173)11.99 - 26.42
- Canon FC-10 - semi-hard case for camcorder (33614120)26.99