Manufacturer: Panasonic Part number: HDC-HS300-K
- Bottom Line:
- A very good prosumer HD camcorder, the Panasonic HDC-HS300 still isn't as good a deal as the similarly featured but flash-based TM300 and has the same annoying touch-screen interface.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Memory4Less.com|| Not yet rated || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 05/22/2013Refurbished
| || In stock || |
as of 05/21/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $1,860.28 - $1,998.99
- Reviewed by: Lori Grunin
- Reviewed on: 06/02/2009
- Released on: 04/15/2009
The good: High-quality video; solid performance; electronic viewfinder; full manual feature set.
The bad: Touch screen not responsive enough.
The bottom line: A very good prosumer HD camcorder, the Panasonic HDC-HS300 still isn't as good a deal as the similarly featured but flash-based TM300 and has the same annoying touch-screen interface.
Small for travel, but not without issues
by RevVid on April 5, 2010
Pros: Small, Light, Good in Low Light, Good image quality, Fast PC transfer
Cons: WB Automatic mode is a problem, slow startup, no Neutral density filter build in or mentioned anywhere.
Summary: Bought for travel, reading reviews. I have 2 SONY Mini DV camcorders with Procumer DCR-VX2100-Best in low light. Got Panasonic hdc-hs300k for best in low light vs price combination. I ...
Summary: Bought for travel, reading reviews. I have 2 SONY Mini DV camcorders with Procumer DCR-VX2100-Best in low light. Got Panasonic hdc-hs300k for best in low light vs price combination. I shot 1 hour with it and I see some disturbing trends with it especially, compared to Sony cameras. The most bothersome is the fact that HDC HS300 will change White Balance in automatic mode while you are recording! I have never seen that on SONY Cameras! That is really bad especially indoors. If you pan from darker area to well lit, white balance changes to cool-blue (and inaccurate setting for situation for that matter) while you are recording and that makes it impossible to have consistent video. Again, that just amazed me when it kept happening until I set it to manual WB mode. Having shot weddings professionally and other events, I find that "feature" unacceptable for camcorder. And it was not mentioned in any review I saw before buying it. Another thing I noticed, in Bright sunlight you need to use Neutral Density or polarizing filter since HDC HS 300 will overexpose people faces. SONY VX2100 has those filters build in (but is more pro camcorder that HS300). Zebra Pattern in menu is nice like pro cameras but no threshold adjustment. Startup time from turning a switch to recording is 5-10 sec-much longer than SONY cameras I am used to.
Overall I find HS300 to be good camcorder for money. But get a Neutral density or polarizing filter for outdoors and use it in Manual set WB if you don't want to have colors change on you during playback. Understanding shortcomings of the HDC HS300 and how to set it up, can produce very high quality HD footage. Unfortunately that defeats the purpose of Point and Shoot camera.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Solid quality video - excellent colors - great sound
by dysphonix on January 28, 2011
Pros: Color, sound recording is very good. Time lapse mode. Face recognition is very accurate. 5.1 surround mic is a bonus...
Cons: 60i (converted to 30p during transfer). Mic input doesn't have pad setting so using line level input is impossible.
Summary: This is a great reliable camera. I have two of these and they have never failed me. As stated earlier imaging is fantastic on it. Rich and accurate colors and ...
Summary: This is a great reliable camera. I have two of these and they have never failed me. As stated earlier imaging is fantastic on it. Rich and accurate colors and decent low light abilities make this a great run & gun if you're looking for something small.
This is something close to the Pro Leve!
by Echi11 on November 2, 2009
Pros: Great video, easy operation and excellent built quality
Cons: Bad touchscreen, hard to get a good still photo
Summary: I order my HS300 from here
I paid US$1250 in here and I believe this purchase is ...
Summary: I order my HS300 from here
I paid US$1250 in here and I believe this purchase is a great buy!
- Manufacturer: Panasonic
- Part number: HDC-HS300-K
- Description: The HDC-HS300 is a hybrid camcorder that records Full HD images either on an SD (or SDHC) Memory Card or the built-in hard disk drive. A SDHC Memory Card can hold around 12 hours of recorded video clips (in HE mode). The HDC-HS300 camcorder can copy recorded video images from the SD Memory Card to the hard disk, or vice versa, with easy operation. The HDC-HS300 camcorder features the Full HD 3MOS sensor, developed by Panasonic based on its proven 3CCD technology. The Panasonic 3MOS sensor system captures more vibrant, true-to-life colors, greater detail and richer gradation. The iA function automatically activates several convenient shooting functions. These include Advanced O.I.S., which compensates for hand-shake to eliminate blurring; Face Detection, which adjusts the exposure so faces are captured perfectly; and Intelligent Contrast Control, which helps ensure proper contrast. Also included is the Intelligent Scene Selector, which determines the shooting conditions and automatically selects the scene setting that will provide optimal results. The Manual Ring is provided for users who want more creative freedom in their image production. With the HDC-HS300 camcorder users can enjoy precise, responsive fingertip control over five key settings - zoom, focus, iris, shutter speed, and white balance. Image sensor size has been increased from previous 1/6 inch to 1/4.1 inch. 3MOS system with 3 full-HD sensors has total pixel count of 9,150,000 pixels (3,050,000-pixel x 3). While higher pixel count tends to make noise more noticeable when shooting under dim light conditions, HDC-HS300 solves this problem by using 3 high-sensitivity MOS sensors. It records beautiful images even under dim lighting while maintaining high pixel count, thus making it possible to shoot under minimum luminance of 1.6 lx.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder - 1080i
- Camcorder Sensor Resolution 3.05 megapixels
- Effective Video Resolution 2.07 megapixels
- Digital Zoom 700 x
- Effective Photo Resolution 2.65 megapixels
- Total Pixels 9.15 megapixels
- Camcorder Media Type Hard disk drive,
- Optical Sensor Size 1/4.1"
- Optical Sensor Type 3CMOS
- Min Illumination 1 lux
- Digital Video Format H.264,
- Image Stabilizer Optical (Advanced O.I.S.)
- Min Shutter Speed 1/2 sec
- Max Shutter Speed 1/8000 sec
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode
- Shooting Programs Snow,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Cloudy,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Face Detection Automatic Face Tracking technology
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Flash Modes Fill-in mode,
Flash OFF mode,
- Features Flash +/- compensation
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces HDMI,
- Type Leica 12 x x Zoom lens - 4 mm - 48 mm - F/1.8-2.8
- Lens aperture F/1.8-2.8
- Features Built-in lens shield
- Optical Zoom 12 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 4 mm
- Max focal length 48 mm
- Filter Size 43 mm
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 44.9 - 539 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Self Timer Delay 10 sec
- Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
- Additional Features DPOF support,
Takes photos while movie recording,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
Dolby Digital 5.1 channel recording,
- Remote control Remote control - Infrared
- Software Drivers & Utilities,
Panasonic HD Writer AE 1.0
- Included Accessories Component video cable,
IR remote control,
Power adapter with battery charger,
Audio / video cable
- Effective Flash Range 3.3 ft - 8 ft
- Viewfinder Type Electronic
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size 0.26 in
- Viewfinder Resolution 113,000 pixels
- Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x HDMI output,
1 x USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x Microphone
- Microphone Features Zoom
Memory / Storage
- Media type Hard disk drive ,
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Internal Storage 120 GB Hard disk drive
- Image Storage 3984 x 2656,
3264 x 2176,
2592 x 1728,
4224 x 2376,
3328 x 1872,
2560 x 1440,
3520 x 2640,
3264 x 2448,
2560 x 1920,
640 x 480
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery - 1250 mAh ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Surround
- Microphone technology Electret condenser
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Battery type - Lithium ion
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Resolution 230,400 pixels
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Width 2.8 in
- Depth 5.6 in
- Height 2.9 in
- Weight 16.2 oz
- Canon WP V3 - marine case for camcorder (34930183)449.95 - 499.99
- Porta-Brace Hiker Backpack Camera Case HK-1 - case for camcorder (31058034)441.81 - 459.17
- Porta-Brace Quick-Draw Camera Case CC-210-PW - case for camcorder (31039932)399.00
- Porta-Brace Shoulder Case SC-D500 - case for camcorder (31026190)372.37 - 429.00
- Canon WP V2 - marine case for camcorder (33984051)367.76 - 499.00
- CANON XL1S VIDEO CAMCORDER CASE (7032423)399.99
- Panasonic P2HD-CASE - carrying bag for camcorder (33921985)363.95
- Panasonic SHAN-TM700 - tripod adapter (31027498)249.95 - 399.95
- Porta-Brace Polar Bear Insulated Case POL-3 - case for camcorder (31030134)381.05 - 406.01
- Porta-Brace Polar Bear Insulated Case POL-5 - case for camcorder (31031922)389.40 - 398.41