Manufacturer: Panasonic Part number: HDC-HS700K
- More product information:
- Editors' review
- User reviews
- Product series
- Manufacturer info
- Bottom Line:
- The flash-based Panasonic HDC-TM700 and its hard-disk sibling, the HDC-HS700, stand out for their low-light video quality and broad set of manual controls. However, while the TM700 is very attractively priced for its class, the HS700 is not, and not worth the price premium unless you absolutely need the hard disk.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Memory4Less.com|| Not yet rated || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 06/18/2013Refurbished
| || In stock || |
as of 06/18/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $1,999.90 - $2,328.77
- Reviewed by: Lori Grunin
- Reviewed on: 05/27/2010
- Released on: 04/05/2010
The good: Very good low-light video quality; full set of manual features; 1080/60p recording option.
The bad: Smallish, low-resolution LCD; coarse EVF; some edge artifacts in video; middling still photo quality.
The bottom line: The flash-based Panasonic HDC-TM700 and its hard-disk sibling, the HDC-HS700, stand out for their low-light video quality and broad set of manual controls. However, while the TM700 is very attractively priced for its class, the HS700 is not, and not worth the price premium unless you absolutely need the hard disk.
BEST OF CLASS
by GERMANEE on January 16, 2011
Pros: GOOD DESIGN, BEST VIDEO QUALITIES, BEST LOW LIGHT QUALITY, FAST, CHEAP,
Cons: NONE AT ALL
I made a mistake to bought this camera
by hosseinadib on November 19, 2010
Pros: Good Color fidelity and good quality in high Sun light !
Cons: Very Very grainy in indoor and regular light conditions ,Small and low Resolution LCD but this is not persecutor.
Summary: I have bought a panasonic hs700 for myself and a sony xr500 for my father i have not any problem to play hs 700 1080P50Htz (PAL version) footage by windows ...
Summary: I have bought a panasonic hs700 for myself and a sony xr500 for my father i have not any problem to play hs 700 1080P50Htz (PAL version) footage by windows 7 media player (My computer has AMD Phenom X3 8650 CPU 2GB DDR2 Patriot 800Mhz RAM and Geforce 9500GT VGA) but in VLC and KM Player picture quality is very bad and sluggish but this is not problem ,main problem and disappointing ploy is that in compare to sony XR500 picture is very very grainy in regular indoor light specially shooting from faces is terrible . I think sony Exmor doing very good job in this situations but i can not believe that this reliable site did not consider to this very important flaw of this camcorder . Because of this inattention or mistake i made a big mistake and bought this camera about 1400$ !!!!!! Please if my settings are false or if there is anything that i could do to get better performance and quality with less noise say me and make me happy and thankful.My Setting is iA and i tried in manual mode with different shutter and iris but result was more disappointing than before !!!
before HS700 I had Panasonic GS400, MX500 and i have enough experience to work with camcorders !
Camera has most of the features I was looking for
by kevychevy2 on September 13, 2010
Pros: Image quality is excellent, even in lower bit-rate modes
Low light capability is better than expected
Lens is wide-angle, but has plenty of zoom
Good set of manual controls
Excellent image stabilization
Tons of space on hard drive
Decent battery life
Cons: The shoe mount is recessed too low to attach almost anything
Manual controls not instantly accessible on touch screen
Can't edit 1080 60p video on my iMac
Summary: It's hard to believe what this small camera puts out. The image quality is so good. (And the 1080 60p footage is spectacular, though I've only been able ...
Summary: It's hard to believe what this small camera puts out. The image quality is so good. (And the 1080 60p footage is spectacular, though I've only been able to watch it, not edit it, while waiting for Apple to produce an updated codec for editing). The manual controls and the audio input really clinched it for me, and have been using it to do weddings this summer.
My biggest beef is with the deeply recessed shoe mount which wouldn't have been a problem except that the approach to the mount is CURVED, so it's virtually impossible to attach anything. I did manage to attach a wireless mic receiver with some difficulty, then instantly regretted it because now I couldn't access the zoom lever. And I thought something was going to snap when I tried to remove it. I'm still looking for an adaptor that will fit onto the camera.
One other minor quirk (that I'm sure is unique to my camera) is the right mic records about twice as loud as the left. I can fix it in post, but shouldn't have to.
I really like the amount of wide-angle on the lens; the zoom lever takes some getting used to but provides a good range of speeds.
I find the swing out monitor adequate, though I wish the viewfinder was a bit bigger (I don't like the viewfinders on ANY compact Pansonic models for that matter).
Just a word about the extra cost of the hard drive. Yes it is steep, but once you've bought it, what a relief to have all that space. And there is an SD card slot if you need that capability. 240 GB is the equivalent of fifteen 16GB SD cards, which would cost more than $400. Of course I always back up to an external hard drive right after the event, but if I ever take it on a trip, it will be great not to have to keep track of a bunch of SD cards, or have to take along a laptop to capture onto.
All in all, a video camera I can highly recommend!
Camcorder has what counts, however nothing is perfect.
by Vaiovann on June 2, 2010
Pros: Large native capture resolution
Light weight, even when shooting for extended periods
Fair amount of manual settings, even for a more "Consumer" oriented model
Quick response to light and capture changes
Cons: Small frame (totally relative statement)
Included cooling fan is picked up on hot shoe mounted "shotgun" mic (is not when peripheral isn't attached)
Settings (capture modes and manual adjusts) are buried in touch screen menus
Summary: So I'm a pretty huge dork. A good friend and I both pooled are resources to get this camcorder. After fairly extensive research we (I) landed on this model. ...
Summary: So I'm a pretty huge dork. A good friend and I both pooled are resources to get this camcorder. After fairly extensive research we (I) landed on this model. It's combination of consumer target ease of use, as well it's deeper manual settings, allow us to have footage that looks like the pro's. There is a catch however. This catch is that I can't seem to play back to footage without it staggering during review. I have a dual core AMD 2.8Ghz Phenom II processor, and a nVidia GTX260, with 8Gb of ram running on WIndows 7 64-bit. In other words the hardware isn't the issue. I've addressed this problem with carefully researching what modern codecs are needed to be installed. DivX is a big help, and don't expect VLC to be able to (smoothly) play your footage.
In the end, unless you have really high standards, you wont be disappointed with your purchase.
- Manufacturer: Panasonic
- Part number: HDC-HS700K
- Description: The HS700's high-sensitivity 3MOS system has achieved 11.49-million effective motion image pixels. This image sensor offers beautiful images with significantly better color quality, detail and gradation than the 1MOS sensor system. The large-diameter F1.5 Leica Dicomar Lens, the developed Crystal Engine Pro, and the high-sensitivity sensors have improved the efficiency of light gathering, increased sensitivity, and reduced noise by one-half to provide users with bright, low-noise recording even in dim lighting. The 12x optical zoom lens is further enhanced by Intelligent Resolution technology in the crystal engine pro image-processing circuit, to produce the 20x intelligent zoom. The zoom achieves even greater image detail. And HS700 is also equipped with a wide-angle lens that is ideal for many different shooting situations, such as self-portraits and group photos indoors, and landscape shots outdoors.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder - 1080p
- Camcorder Sensor Resolution 3.05 megapixels
- Effective Video Resolution 2.53 megapixels
- Digital Zoom 700 x
- Effective Photo Resolution 2.63 megapixels
- Camcorder Interpolated Photo Resolution 14.2 megapixels
- Total Pixels 9.15 megapixels
- Camcorder Media Type Hard disk drive,
- Optical Sensor Size 1/4.1"
- Optical Sensor Type MOS
- Min Illumination 1 lux
- Digital Video Format AVCHD
- Image Stabilizer Optical (POWER O.I.S.)
- Min Shutter Speed 1/2 sec
- Max Shutter Speed 1/8000 sec
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Cloudy,
- Camera Flash Built-in
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces HDMI,
- Type Leica 12 x x Zoom lens - 3.45 mm - 41.4 mm - F/1.5-2.8
- Lens aperture F/1.5-2.8
- Features Built-in lens shield
- Optical Zoom 12 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 3.45 mm
- Max focal length 41.4 mm
- Filter Size 46 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
- Additional Features DPOF support,
Takes photos while movie recording,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
Dolby Digital 5.1 channel recording
- Remote control Remote control - Infrared
- Software Drivers & Utilities,
Panasonic HD Writer AE 2.1
- Included Accessories IR remote control,
Audio / video cable
- Viewfinder Type LCD
- Type 3 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x HDMI output,
1 x USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x Microphone,
1 x Headphones
- Microphone Features Zoom
Memory / Storage
- Media type Hard disk drive ,
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SD Memory Card
- Internal Storage 240 GB Hard disk drive
- Image Storage JPEG 4864 x 2736,
JPEG 3840 x 2160,
JPEG 1920 x 1080,
JPEG 4608 x 3072,
JPEG 3600 x 2400,
JPEG 2880 x 1920,
JPEG 3072 x 1728,
JPEG 4032 x 3024,
JPEG 3200 x 2400,
JPEG 2560 x 1920,
JPEG 640 x 480
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery - 1250 mAh ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Surround
- Battery type - Lithium ion
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Resolution 230,400 pixels
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Width 2.6 in
- Depth 5.4 in
- Height 2.7 in
- Weight 15.9 oz
12 x x Zoom lens - 3.45 mm - 41.4 mm - F/1.5-2.8,
Panasonic HDC-TM700K - Camcorder - Consumer - Flash card,
12 x x Zoom lens - 3.45 mm - 41.4 mm - F/1.5-2.8,
Panasonic HDC-HS700K - Camcorder - Consumer - Hard disk drive,
- Flash card,
- Canon WP V3 - marine case for camcorder (34930183)449.95 - 499.99
- Porta-Brace Hiker Backpack Camera Case HK-1 - case for camcorder (31058034)441.81 - 459.17
- Porta-Brace Shoulder Case SC-D500 - case for camcorder (31026190)372.37 - 429.00
- Canon WP V2 - marine case for camcorder (33984051)367.76 - 499.00
- Ikelite Underwater Systems marine case for camcorder (34929737)599.95
- CANON XL1S VIDEO CAMCORDER CASE (7032423)399.99
- Canon WP V4 - marine case for camcorder (35138638)499.00
- Panasonic SHAN-TM700 - tripod adapter (31027498)249.95 - 399.95
- Porta-Brace Smuggler Camera Case SMG-2 - case for camcorder (31053838)424.45 - 441.81
- Portabrace PKB-275PV - hard case for camcorder (35112263)578.95 - 589.00