Panasonic PV GS80
Manufacturer: Panasonic Part number: PV-GS80
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 09/01/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $799.95
- Reviewed by: Will Greenwald
- Reviewed on: 04/12/2007
- Released on: 02/01/2007
The good: Decent video quality; native 16:9 wide-screen video
The bad: Useless night mode; still photo function is pointless
The bottom line: The Panasonic PV-GS80 is a serviceable budget camcorder, but better choices are out there.
A very good camera (CNET editor review seems biased to me)
by apotheque on November 24, 2007
Pros: Good picture, optical image stabilizer, 16:9 LCD display, manual shutter/aperture/white balance
Cons: Sound is average, plugs are behind battery, no mic and headphone jacks
Summary: The Panasonic PV-GS 80 is a very good camcorder for its price tag (entry level). The picture is very good, good color reproduction, even in low-light situations. I also like ...
Summary: The Panasonic PV-GS 80 is a very good camcorder for its price tag (entry level). The picture is very good, good color reproduction, even in low-light situations. I also like the lens which reaches wide-angle, hardly seen in this price level. And it has an optical image stabilizer.
The LCD display is 16:9 and the 16:9 image itself is true 16:9, not a cropped 4:3. Handling is good, depending on whether you like heavy cameras or not. I do since that keeps the camera steady.
Sound (built-in microphone) is average, it doesn't record the tape drive noises inside which is good, but the quality is not impressive either. It has a passive "flash shoe" though for an external microphone.
What's annoying is that the plugs are behind the battery, so you have to remove the battery if you want to use the power supply. Also it doesn't have mic-in and a plug for headphones.
And as I said: Before I bought this camera, I researched all sorts of reviews (Amazon, magazines, etc.), and I have yet to find a review (except the one from CNET) that says this camera is bad. Read more reviews to get a more objective view on this camera. My opinion is: This is a very good camera!
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Not As Bad As They Make It Sound
by bangitsmom on October 18, 2009
Pros: Captures great video. Very clear. Wide angle video capture makes it great for sporting events. Editor's poor review for night video capture is misleading. I capture high school events and get excellent quality videos of football and soccer.
Cons: Battery is a bit weak. I don't record entire games straight through, pausing when necessary, and the battery lasts about an hour and a half. Can't mute microphone - or, at least, they hide that control very well.
Summary: For normal people recording normal events that you want to keep a record of, this is a great camera. Zoom is very good. Captures excellent video of night soccer and ...
Summary: For normal people recording normal events that you want to keep a record of, this is a great camera. Zoom is very good. Captures excellent video of night soccer and football games. Microphone is very good but you can't disable it so you'll pick up nearby conversations. Easy to cover with music when you convert clips on your pc. Very portable and easy to manipulate. Menu functions are easy to maneuver through. Have to add a firewire card to your pc to transfer video to disk or the internet. I'm very picky with my gadgets and I really don't have a problem with this camera. If you're going to be recording over an hour's worth of video, get a second battery just in case.
i need help
by harithej on October 10, 2009
Pros: i want to know how to connect this to my pc
Cons: contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nice Budget Camera
by salseroboy on March 10, 2008
Pros: Light and easy to use
Cons: no memory, no a lot of functions
Summary: My wife got this cam as a gift a few months back from her office. Just like the reviews from the video, it’s a low budget cam. It does ...
Summary: My wife got this cam as a gift a few months back from her office. Just like the reviews from the video, it’s a low budget cam. It does what you need it to but there are way better higher quality cams out there. Since we got it, I have not been able to able to get it to work with my PC or my office PC. I used the Mini DV to firewire cable with no go. Also, the fact that the GS80 does not have a slot for the memory sucks.
Like I said, for vacation, going to the beach, or stuff like that, if you don’t have a lot of money in your budget, this will work, if you are looking for a high end cam, get something else.
Good inexpensive camcorder
by rjwin on February 18, 2008
Pros: Easy to use
Cons: no PC cable included
Summary: We bought one of these at Best Buy on sale for $200.00. Despite the less than favorable Cnet review, I believe it's a good camcorder for the money. ...
Summary: We bought one of these at Best Buy on sale for $200.00. Despite the less than favorable Cnet review, I believe it's a good camcorder for the money. It has a good picture and it's not complicated. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a decent camcorder on a budget. It would be nice if it came with a cable to connect it to the PC, but one can be found at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack for a few dollars more.
- Manufacturer: Panasonic
- Part number: PV-GS80
- Description: Panasonic's vision of the digital future is driven by the needs and aspirations of its business customers and millions of consumers around the world who use its products every day. The company shares their dream to live a fuller life by providing ways of working smarter and enjoying the rewards of technological advances. PRODUCT FEATURES: O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer); 32x optical zoom; Pure color engine; High-picture-quality wide 2, 7" LCD; One-touch navigation and joystick control; Help mode; Instant ON/OFF; Quick start; MagicPix; WEB camera function.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder
- Digital Zoom 1000 x
- Effective Sensor Resolution 0.46 megapixels
- Total Pixels 0.68 megapixels
- Camcorder Media Type Mini DV
- Optical Sensor Size 1/6"
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Min Illumination 2 lux
- Special Effects Black & White
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- PCM digital sound 16bit (48KHz / 2 channels)
- Digital Scene Transition Black fader,
- Shooting modes Normal movie mode,
Digital photo mode
- Shooting Programs Low light,
Surf & snow,
- White Balance Custom,
- White Balance Presets Outdoor,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Camera Flash None
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces Composite video/audio
- Type 32 x x Zoom lens - 2.3 mm - 73.6 mm - F/1.8-3.7
- Lens aperture F/1.8-3.7
- Optical Zoom 32 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 2.3 mm
- Max focal length 73.6 mm
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Filter Size 37 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
- Additional Features Backlight compensation,
- Software Drivers & Utilities
- Included Accessories Lens cap,
Audio / video cable
- Viewfinder Type LCD
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size 0.33 in
- Viewfinder Resolution 113,000 pixels
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK)
- Microphone Features Wind noise reduction,
Memory / Storage
- Media type Mini DV
- Video Recording Modes LP,
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Battery type - Lithium ion
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Resolution 123,000 pixels
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Width 2.9 in
- Depth 5.4 in
- Height 3.1 in
- Weight 15.9 oz
- Sony LCE X3TH - case for camcorder (34881135)344.95
- Sony SPK HCH - marine case for camcorder (35266605)299.00 - 299.99
- Porta-Brace Rain Slicker RS-55 - rain jacket for camcorder (31059775)239.84 - 242.17
- Canon HC 4100 - hard case for camcorder (30584700)239.95 - 256.30
- JVC KA-551U tripod adapter (32090695)295.00
- KATA PRO Video Collection CCC-10-A - carrying bag for camcorder (34400943)325.00
- KATA PRO Video Collection CCC-1A - case for camcorder (34931653)299.00
- Panasonic AG-HT30G - hard case for camcorder (30964047)270.34
- Panasonic P2HD-CASE - carrying bag for camcorder (33921985)363.95
- Porta-Brace Shoulder Case with Raintop SC-D250 - soft case for camcorder (31068748)372.37 - 379.22