Samsung DuoCam SC-D6550
Manufacturer: Samsung Part number: SC-D6550
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 05/21/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $274.97
- Reviewed by: Denny Atkin
- Edited by: Lori Grunin
- Reviewed on: 08/15/2005
- Released on: 06/15/2005
The good: Decent video performance; relatively lightweight and compact.
The bad: Noisy video; weak flash; poorly integrated design; slow still-camera performance; lacks the infrared Night mode of its predecessor.
The bottom line: It's a better still camera than most camcorders, but the SC-D6550 nonetheless forces compromises compared to individual products.
Excellent dual purpose product!
by uncochino on September 5, 2005
Pros: Size, speed, quality, convenience.
Cons: Low light performance
Summary: I took a chance after reading about the lack of quality in this video camera. Glad I did, quality is great, it's no professional camera or 3 ccd camera, ...
Summary: I took a chance after reading about the lack of quality in this video camera. Glad I did, quality is great, it's no professional camera or 3 ccd camera, but great for what it is. Plus, it's got a pretty decent 5.25 megapixel camera attached to it. Talk about convenient. It's nice to be able to take just one camera and solve two problems. Don't expect to shoot video in the pitch black, but with just a bit of light you get pretty decent quality video. Definitely outdoes the Canon pos that this was bought to replace.
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Excellent Photos and very acceptable video
by MTremblay on October 24, 2005
Pros: Very best photos and video all in one device
Cons: menus not intuitive, but great easy mode
Summary: This is the perfect camcorder for anyone who wants to shoot great video footage and more importantly, have the best photos you can get from a camcorder. The device is ...
Summary: This is the perfect camcorder for anyone who wants to shoot great video footage and more importantly, have the best photos you can get from a camcorder. The device is an excellent alternative to bringing both a camera and a camcorder on vacation/anywhere. You will need a spare battery, and the menus for each of the devices is very different, appearing to have been designed by 2 different teams. Some may dislike this, I actually prefer this feature, it assists in ensuring you know which mode you are setting options for. Alternatively, the easy mode button works great and overides all the other settings, making it easy to shoot great video and photos. I have recently purchased 3 mini DV camcorders, a Canon elura 85, Panasonic GS35, Panasonic GS65, and a JVC grdvl-820u. The JVC had intermittent problems and did not work consistantly from day 1 and was taken back, the others shoot good video, but the pictures are extremly poor, so were tken back. If you are like me and want to take pictures to share often, and shoot some video and want to transfer, edit, and make your own home movie DVDs, (that will probably get viewed much less than your photos) this is the only camera that is an all in one solution!
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
by txntarzan on October 12, 2006
Pros: This has all the features I was looking for in both a Digital Camera and a Mini DV Camcorder
Cons: There is a learning curve and a thick Operator's Manual you'll need to keep handy.
Summary: Okay, so I'm late to the whole digital camera / camcorder thing and this is the first one I've owned, but this thing has it all. Even on low ...
Summary: Okay, so I'm late to the whole digital camera / camcorder thing and this is the first one I've owned, but this thing has it all. Even on low quality settings the digital stills look fantastic. I'm definitely NOT a pro so I don't know enough to debate some of the guys on here that say the DuoCam is missing this or that adjustment, but, basically right out of the box (and after charging up the battery) I'm having a blast taking vids then switching over to camera mode. The thing I like is not having to keep up with stuff for a separate camera and camcorder... one battery, one set of cables, one manual, one carrying case, etc.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Ugliest camera-corder ever.
by neverforgetJeff on May 11, 2008
Pros: it will most likely power on
Cons: ugliest thing sing rosie o'donell
Summary: First things first, I don't own one of these. No matter, I feel qualified enough to tell anyone that if they pay money for this mutant gadget, they obviously ...
Summary: First things first, I don't own one of these. No matter, I feel qualified enough to tell anyone that if they pay money for this mutant gadget, they obviously don't understand the value of money. Seriously, If someone offered to sell you one of these for a dollar, save your dollar and by a KFC snacker. The ugliness of this camera-corder will get you laughed out of any presentation/ sports game. On the other hand, it would make a great gag gift for that buddy of yours with 3 eyes. (is that a camera on your front panel, or are you just happy to see me?)
by luthdith on June 6, 2006
Pros: none at all....
Cons: video died on record mode!!!
Summary: Bought it 4 months ago, used it only for one ocassion then video on record mode did not work(LCD and viewfinder) when I needed it most - my son'...
Summary: Bought it 4 months ago, used it only for one ocassion then video on record mode did not work(LCD and viewfinder) when I needed it most - my son's graduation. Researched the internet and found that Samsung camcorders have the same problem. check this out: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f114. Obviously samsung knows about the problem and its popping up even on the newer models. So why buy Samsung. BEWARE!!!
by EARNESTCOOKE on May 9, 2006
Pros: GREAT SHOTS
Cons: MALFUNCTIONS WHEN USING TRIPOD
Summary: Last August-05 I purchased the SC-D6550 DUOCAM, for a vaction my wife and I was going on to Hawaii, the camera performed beautifully, the pictures captured was beyond anything I ...
Summary: Last August-05 I purchased the SC-D6550 DUOCAM, for a vaction my wife and I was going on to Hawaii, the camera performed beautifully, the pictures captured was beyond anything I expected. I used the camera several times more, and then my daughter's classmate's birthday came up in Dec.-05, and I was asked if I would record it for them, I was happy to do so. I film the party for an Hour and one-half, using my tripod, brought it home, and to my dismay on the playback it was nothing but lines running across, I thought perhaps the heads were dirty, and purchased a tapehead cleaner, that did not clear up the problem, so I took it back to Circuit City, because I did purchase the protection plan for the camera, they sent it out, and when it came back they said there was no problem with the camera, I took it back home, took some more movies, handheld no problem, to make a long story short, the camera went back and forth to the repair shop, because when I hand held it it worked fine, when I places it a tripod the camera malfuntioned. the problem is there are no other cameras available to see if this was just happening with my camera, or was this some kind of design flaw that was realized with this camera model, and thats why it was quietly removed from production. and now I have a camera that I do enjoy and have invested a lot of money on accessories, but can never use it with a tripod. Just today I went back to the store, because I had just deducted what was going on, we tried all kind of tripods, if we took the camera off the tripod it worked fine, as soon as we placed it on, before we could secure it the camera began to malfuntion, should send this camera back to Samsung
Two in one camera is appealing , but better to get 2 cameras for better quality
by jkhiggin on October 10, 2005
Pros: 2 Cameras in one. Small design for having 2 cameras. Sound quality was good on video.
Cons: Really bad focus on the Video Camera. Lacks a center crosshair in video mode. Slow to snap still shots.
Summary: I expected alot more out of this camera. A two in one design sounded good and even though there were bad/ok reviews out there I thought I would give ...
Summary: I expected alot more out of this camera. A two in one design sounded good and even though there were bad/ok reviews out there I thought I would give it a shot.
The idea is great. A 5MP digital camera mixed with a true video camera. It is convinent to switch to one mode and the other. We went to an airshow and I was able to easially switch back and forth, but the time it takes to do this kinda out weighs its benefits. The camera has to shut down then lens cap off video camera or vice versa.
I was also disappointed in the focus of the movie camera. As I am shooting (again no center crosshair to focus on), the shots get blurry then come back in focus. I read a couple of other reviews that mentions this so I think its just a bad video camera.
The still digital part does ok. We did have a few shots that were fuzzy and if you need to snap something fast then this is not the camera. I managed to get a few good shots of the jets, but alot of shots were missed because of the focus and picture snap times.
Also there are 2 different buttons for taking a picture and recording. A couple of times as I am doing a video after taking pictures I hit the photo taking button, which takes about a 5 second still of what you are looking at on video. You do this and you get a bad looking still shot.
The thumb button for turning on the video recording was hard for me to reach. Maybe its just me but my thumb had problems hitting the video record. If they had kept the picture and video record to be the same then maybe it would have been better.
Overall I would definately stay away from this camera. Yes its a great idea that falls flat.
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Part number: SC-D6550
- Description: The palm-sized SC-D6550 features Samsung's groundbreaking dual-lens system, which can switch modes effortlessly to produce sharp-as-life digital video or high-resolution still images. Samsung's DuoCam successfully merges both still and video functions to offer consumers a complete digital imaging package. The latest DuoCam SC-D6550 upholds a tradition of video excellence with a 680K CCD lens and 10x Optical Zoom/ 900x Digital Zoom that delivers hi-res video images with vibrant color resolution and detail. For still photography, the five Mega Pixel CCD still lens delivers 2592 x 1944 pixel image resolution, enabling consumers to create large size prints with maximum picture sharpness and color accuracy. In fact, the 3rd generation DuoCam represents a 40% reduction in size from its predecessor. Designed with an ergonomic hand-grip, the SC-D6550 is the ultimate in portable imaging versatility and convenience. In addition to producing top-notch video and stills, the DuoCam is packed with all the features consumers expect from a digital camera. The Instant ON feature means the camera is ready to go less than a second after the power button is pressed, while a new battery indicator displays the actual playing time and recording time left. Images and video can be played back on the built-in color LCD screen, and a playback zoom feature allows viewers to focus on a small section of an image. A host of options ensures the highest quality image capture and display. Slow Shutter and Nite Pix options allow users to compensate for poor lighting conditions. Digital Image Stabilizer and a built-in flash keep stills and video bright and sharp. Program AE (auto-exposure) modes provide built-in recording optimization, automatically selecting the best combination of aperture and shutter speed for superior results. The DuoCam also offers top-of-the-line digital device compatibility. The built-in Multi-Card Slot allows consumers to store and transfer their files using Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital Cards or Multi-Media Cards. The high-performance PC interface surpasses traditional camcorders with USB 2.0 compatibility that provides quick, smooth data transfers to PC hard drives. And Samsung's PictBridge printing protocol allows users to connect the camera directly to a compatible printer via a standard USB cable.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder / digital camera combo
- Digital Zoom 900 x
- Camcorder Media Type Mini DV
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Digital Video Format MPEG-4
- Image Stabilizer Electronic
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode,
Frame movie mode
- Type 10 x x Zoom lens
- Optical Zoom 10 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Additional Features USB 2.0 compatibility
- Type LCD display
Memory / Storage
- Media type Mini DV
- Memory Card Slot SD card,
Memory Stick card
- Supported Memory Cards MultiMediaCard,
SD Memory Card,
- Image Storage JPEG 2592 x 1944
- Video Capture MPEG-4 - 640 x 480
- Video Recording Modes LP,
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Width 94 cm
- Depth 81.5 cm
- Height 137 cm
- Weight 690 g