Sony Handycam DCR-SR68 (Blue)
Manufacturer: Sony Part number: DCR-SR68/L
- Bottom Line:
- Sony's Handycam DCR-SR68 (and larger-capacity SR88) offers up ample storage and a megazoom lens at a reasonable price; one look at the standard-definition video, though, and you might regret not spending a bit more for an HD model.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Best Buy|| || No || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 03/09/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $329.99
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 05/06/2010
The good: Simple operation; 60x zoom lens; 80GB hard drive; small.
The bad: Soft, noisy video; noticeable fringing on subjects; image stabilization is electronic only; no mic or headphone jacks.
The bottom line: Sony's Handycam DCR-SR68 (and larger-capacity SR88) offers up ample storage and a megazoom lens at a reasonable price; one look at the standard-definition video, though, and you might regret not spending a bit more for an HD model.
Poor picture quality
by mathewt1 on March 15, 2010
Pros: 1. Small size, you can carry in pocket
2. Provision to use SDHC card
3. LCD has good resolution and it responds well to the touch.
4. Video transfer is quick and easy once the basic Sony software is installed.
5. 80 GB storage space is great
Cons: 1. Picture quality is very poor
2. You can not charge the battery when camcorder is in use even if there is a spare battery
3. There is no separate viewfinder.
4. Audio quality average.
5. Battery life approximately less than an hour
Summary: 1. Picture quality is very poor, Indoor and outdoor pictures in good light appear with a bluish tint all over. If you wear a white /gray cloth it appears bluish ...
Summary: 1. Picture quality is very poor, Indoor and outdoor pictures in good light appear with a bluish tint all over. If you wear a white /gray cloth it appears bluish on video. Like wise the sunlight coming inside your house through window /blinds all appears light blue!! Even with good lighting the quality of images are very bad, lacks sharpness, This in comparison to my old Panasonic PV GS120 is not even close to true color. If you view the pictures on a TV screen it will definitely appear lacking the sharpness. If you are transferring the video to computer using the supplied software it appears very blurry and grainy.
2. There is no way you can charge the battery when camcorder is in use even if there is a spare battery because the battery charging is done hooking up the AC adapter to the camcorder! This seems really stupid. Sony could have made a battery slot on the AC adapter to do this.
3. There is no separate viewfinder. So if the LCD is broken- everything is gone. In bright light especially outdoor, it is hard to see anything on the LCD.
4. Audio quality does not seem to be that good but average.
5. I can not find the resolution of the camera for still shots, nothing is mentioned in the manual either. You can not shoot a still picture while recording the video, you have to capture it from the video shots already made. Yea the resolution does not matter in that case.
6. Battery life approximately less than an hour
7. The LED for lighting seems silly
- Manufacturer: Sony
- Part number: DCR-SR68/L
- Description: With a built-in 80GB hard disk drive, the Sony DCR-SR68 Handycam camcorder eliminates the need for tapes or discs. The professional-quality Carl Zeiss 60x optical zoom lens deliver clear, sharp images, and Hybrid recording technology offers the flexibility to record video to the hard drive or Memory Stick PRO Duo media.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder
- Enclosure Color Blue
- Digital Zoom 2000 x
- Effective Photo Resolution 0.34 megapixels
- Camcorder Media Type Hard disk drive,
- Optical Sensor Size 1/8"
- Optical Sensor Type Advanced HAD CCD
- Min Illumination 3 lux
- Analog video format NTSC
- Digital Video Format MPEG-2
- Image Stabilizer Electronic (Steady Shot)
- Digital Scene Transition White fader,
- Min Shutter Speed 1/4 sec
- Max Shutter Speed 1/4000 sec
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode
- Shooting Programs Candle,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Outdoor,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces S-Video,
- Type Carl Zeiss 60 x x Zoom lens - 1.8 mm - 108 mm - F/1.8-6.0
- Lens aperture F/1.8-6.0
- Features Built-in lens shield
- Optical Zoom 60 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 1.8 mm
- Max focal length 108 mm
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Filter Size 30 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Built-in Light Yes
- Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
- Additional Features Face detection,
Dolby Digital AC-3 (2 channel) recording,
USB 2.0 compatibility
- Software Drivers & Utilities,
Sony Picture Motion Browser
- Included Accessories USB cable,
Audio / video cable
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x Hi-Speed USB,
1 x S-Video output
- Microphone Features Zoom
Memory / Storage
- Media type Hard disk drive ,
- Memory Card Slot SD card,
Memory Stick PRO Duo card
- Supported Memory Cards SD Memory Card
- Internal Storage 80 GB Hard disk drive
- Image Storage JPEG 640 x 480
- Video Capture MPEG-2 - 720 x 480
- Video Recording Modes HQ,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows XP SP3,
MS Windows 7,
MS Windows Vista
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Supported Battery Sony NP-FV30
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery - 500 mAh ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone type Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Microphone technology Electret condenser
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Parts - 1 year,
Limited warranty - Labor - 90 days
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating
- Width 2.2 in
- Depth 4.2 in
- Height 2.6 in
- Weight 9.9 oz