Canon PowerShot A3100 IS (Red)
Manufacturer: Canon Part number: 4257B001
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/07/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $168.49
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 04/06/2010
The good: Optical image stabilization; excellent photo quality for its class.
The bad: Weak feature set; cheap feel for its price.
The bottom line: The Canon PowerShot A3100 IS is a very good simple point-and-shoot, even though it doesn't do much beyond that.
A good value for money buy
by nethyneth on February 16, 2011
Pros: relatively small size thats easy to place in your pocket or bag, weighing at 155g it really is not a hassle to carry around as it it quite lightweight, user friendly design and controls, the picture quality is pretty good at low ISO
Cons: picture quality deteriorates at higher ISO's, does not have as many features as other models in the powershot line.
Summary: Got mine as a gift from a friend, i've been using it for the past few weeks and after checking up on the price, it really is a good ...
Summary: Got mine as a gift from a friend, i've been using it for the past few weeks and after checking up on the price, it really is a good value for the price that it is placed at, overall it is an easy to use click-shoot-forget type of camera, so if youre looking for something small and lightweight to take simple pictures for blogs and general outing then this is just fine, but if youre an enthusiast or looking for something more extensive i suggest you try and search for something along the ixus 200 range.
Great Budget Camera
by matthew.holmes on December 14, 2010
Pros: Great image quality, Ease of use, Light and compact.
Cons: Low light shots and low light video a bit noisy.
Summary: i needed a small point and shoot for overseas work in a super humid and dusty enviroment. I did not want to take my dSLR and it getting ruined or ...
Summary: i needed a small point and shoot for overseas work in a super humid and dusty enviroment. I did not want to take my dSLR and it getting ruined or stolen. This little guy is light, compact, should make a great camera to pack away when traveling. It has great image quality and decent feature set for the price. Of course I wish it was as fast as my D5000 or has the great low noise reduction too, but so far it can keep up with my kids. I will update when i run it through some more paces.
Great deal for the price point
by xtremebeing on December 11, 2010
Battery recharge <1 hour
Ease of Use
Cons: Plastic case
Shutter release and power button in close proximity
Summary: I lucked out and managed to get this camera well below the noted retail price and even less than the sale prices noted on this date. Price notwithstanding, it is ...
Summary: I lucked out and managed to get this camera well below the noted retail price and even less than the sale prices noted on this date. Price notwithstanding, it is a great camera for the routine, day-to-day type of photography for newbies and others who just want to "just push the silver button on top."
A great budget point-and-shoot and that's all
by sv2011 on November 9, 2010
Pros: Compact, light-weight, easy to use, great image quality for its price
Cons: A little slow, light on features (but that's to expected for a camera in this price range)
Summary: Mr. Goldman's review was spot-on about this camera. It's a simple, no-frills camera that takes great photos and not much else. It's not the fastest camera around ...
Summary: Mr. Goldman's review was spot-on about this camera. It's a simple, no-frills camera that takes great photos and not much else. It's not the fastest camera around but it's perfectly fine for a camera that costed me $120. Canon, IMO, makes some of the best budget point-and-shoots out there and this is no exception.
Wonderful, easy to use phone!
by 4Jesus4everP413 on July 29, 2010
Pros: Easy to use. Takes fantastic photos! Great resolution! Clear pictures, and great for macro photos.
Cons: Doesn't have a black and white option, that I know of. And needs a higher gb sd card
Summary: It is a wonderful camera. I was going to but a cheaper camera, but I am so glad that I spent the fifty extra bucks and "upgraded" a bit. This ...
Summary: It is a wonderful camera. I was going to but a cheaper camera, but I am so glad that I spent the fifty extra bucks and "upgraded" a bit. This is a wonderful camera! I love taking a ton of photos. The battery life lasts a really long time. On a 3 week vacation, taking pictures everyday, only needed to charge three times. My sd card ran out of room sooner, due to the higher resolution.
This camera works great for kids, and nature shots. It captures the photos quick, and even with flash, I find it is much faster than my old camera.
The only problem for me was, I did not find a black and white setting. I guess Canon just assumes that everyone edits their pictures on photobucket.
Overall, great camera, and welll worth the money.
- Manufacturer: Canon
- Part number: 4257B001
- Description: There's nothing more satisfying than taking great pictures! And with the Canon PowerShot A3100 IS, it's so effortless. The 12.1 megapixels resolution and 4x optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) ensure radiant, detailed images. Plus, you've got an advanced DIGIC III image processor with evolved Face Detection technology and the Face Detection self-timer for extraordinary control and performance. Scene modes give your images a professional feel, while smart auto lets you handle challenging conditions with ease.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Enclosure Color Red
- Resolution 12.1 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Total Pixels 12,400,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 12,100,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2.3"
- Optical Zoom 4 x
- Digital Zoom 4 x
- Image Processor DIGIC III
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 9
- Digital Video Format MJPEG,
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- AV Interfaces Composite video/audio
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 400,
- Exposure Metering Evaluative,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Snow,
Kids & pets,
- Special Effects Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Fluorescent,
- Max Shutter Speed 1/1600 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 15 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Type 4 x x Zoom lens - 6.2 mm - 24.8 mm - F/2.7-5.6
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 35 - 140 mm
- Focus Adjustment Automatic
- Min Focus Range 1.2 in
- Macro Focus Range 1 in - 23.6 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 5 groups / 7 elements
- Features Aspherical lens,
Built-in lens shield
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Flash Modes Slow synchro,
Flash OFF mode,
- Features AF illuminator
- Effective Flash Range 1 ft - 13 ft
- Continuous Shooting Speed 0.8 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Additional Features Digital image rotation,
Exif Print support,
Scene Detection Technology,
Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB,
RGB primary color filter,
Motion Detection Technology,
Resizing an image,
Cropping an image,
Camera orientation detection,
I-Contrast (Intelligent Contrast Correction) system,
Face Detection Self-timer,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Resolution 230,000 pixels
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Mono
- Connector Type 1 x USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output
- Software Canon ZoomBrowser EX,
Drivers & Utilities,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows 7,
MS Windows XP SP2,
Apple Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6,
MS Windows Vista
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Microsoft Certifications Compatible with Windows 7
- Included Accessories Battery charger,
Audio / video cable
- Body Material Metal
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card,
SDXC Memory Card
- Included Memory Card MultiMedia card
- Image Storage Large 307,
Fine JPEG 4000 x 3000,
JPEG 3264 x 2448,
JPEG 2592 x 1944,
JPEG 1600 x 1200,
JPEG 640 x 480,
JPEG 4000 x 2248
- Video Capture AVI - 640 x 480,
AVI - 320 x 240
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 3.8 in
- Depth 1.1 in
- Height 2.3 in
- Weight 5.5 oz
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom.