Canon PowerShot SD990 IS (Silver)
Manufacturer: Canon Part number: 3191B001
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 03/11/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $929.99
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Edited by: Lori Grunin
- Reviewed on: 01/14/2009
- Released on: 09/17/2008
The good: Excellent picture quality; very good shooting options for its size.
The bad: Disappointing lens specs; mixed performance; high-resolution sensor adds little benefit; no HD video.
The bottom line: The Canon PowerShot SD990 IS is a fine ultracompact camera, but its price-to-feature benefits are questionable.
Great carry around camara.
by gaterr on December 7, 2009
Pros: Very good picture quality. Easy to use. Included software makes viewing, storing, and printing pictures a snap.
Cons: A wider view lens would be a plus for scenery.
Still takes too long to lock and focus on subject.
Summary: I bought this camara for my wife as a replacement for our much beloved Canon PowerShot S60. The SD990 has not disappointed. It had familiar controls and interface with computer ...
Summary: I bought this camara for my wife as a replacement for our much beloved Canon PowerShot S60. The SD990 has not disappointed. It had familiar controls and interface with computer and Canon printer was effortless.
Best use is to take pictures of people inside or outside where you don't need alot of zoom range on the lens.
5 stars for great pictures
by Nancy Rumpel on September 19, 2009
Pros: great pictures
Cons: too complicated and hard to get out of some features
By far the clearest & most vivid pix of all SD series.
by kosigi on December 5, 2008
Pros: I've tried 3 other cameras before SD 990 IS. 2 in the SD series and 1 an Olympus. SD 990 took the most clearest pix and the colors were the nearest to real life!
Cons: The on-off button could have been made more easier to use. The anti-shake mode does not seem to be effective enough - as some of the pix that I took, still has the fuzzy edges if the subject is in motion.
Summary: The manual settings are fun to experiment with - I've to still figure out how to use them. The auto settings are easiest to use. The ISO settings are ...
Summary: The manual settings are fun to experiment with - I've to still figure out how to use them. The auto settings are easiest to use. The ISO settings are something that I could not understand - why have a higher ISO when the pictures are grainy anyway? The low ISO pix are excellent.
- Manufacturer: Canon
- Part number: 3191B001
- Description: When you're ready to experience a higher level of pace-setting technology and image brilliance, the PowerShot SD990 IS Digital ELPH is ready for you. One glance at the sleek, sculptured profile, and you know this is a camera driven by design and features. Style without compromise is the perfect complement to the ELPH model's most advanced feature lineup - engineering leadership that opens your eyes and imagination to the real potential and boundless pleasures of photography.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Enclosure Color Silver
- Resolution 14.7 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Total Pixels 15,000,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 14,700,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/1.7"
- Optical Zoom 3.7 x
- Digital Zoom 4 x
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 9
- Digital Video Format H.264
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- AV Interfaces Composite video/audio
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 1600,
ISO 3200 (2Mpix),
- Exposure Metering Evaluative,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Color accent,
Kids & pets,
- Special Effects Vivid Blue,
Black & White,
Darker Skin Tone,
Lighter Skin Tone,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Daylight,
Fluorescent light (warm white)
- Max Shutter Speed 1/1600 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 15 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Type 3.7 x x Zoom lens - 7.7 mm - 28.5 mm - F/2.8-5.8
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 36 - 133 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Macro Focus Range 2 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 5 groups / 7 elements
- Features UA lens,
Built-in lens shield
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Flash Modes Fill-in mode,
Flash OFF mode,
- Features Flash +/- compensation,
- Effective Flash Range 1.6 ft - 15 ft
- Continuous Shooting Speed 1.3 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Additional Features Display brightness control,
In-camera red-eye fix,
Exif Print support,
RGB primary color filter,
Motion Detection Technology,
Digital noise reduction,
Highlight point display,
Camera orientation detection,
In-camera movie editing,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
- Viewfinder Type Optical - Real-image zoom
- Type 2.5 in LCD display
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Mono
- Connector Type 1 x USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output
- Software Canon ZoomBrowser EX,
Drivers & Utilities,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support Apple Mac OS X 10.4 or later,
MS Windows XP SP2,
MS Windows Vista
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Included Accessories Battery charger,
Audio / video cable
- Supported Battery Canon NB-5L
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card,
- Internal Storage None
- Included Memory Card 32 MB SD Memory Card
- Image Storage JPEG 4416 x 3312,
JPEG 3456 x 2592,
JPEG 2592 x 1944,
JPEG 1600 x 1200,
JPEG 640 x 480,
JPEG 4416 x 2480
- Video Capture AVI - 640 x 480,
AVI - 320 x 240
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 3.8 in
- Depth 1.1 in
- Height 2.4 in
- Weight 5.6 oz
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom.