Canon PowerShot SX280 HS (Black)
Manufacturer: Canon Part number: 8224B001
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/10/2014
CNET editors' take
price range: $301.50
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 06/20/2013
The good: The Canon PowerShot SX280 HS has shooting modes for every type of photographer from casual to advanced; a useful long zoom lens with excellent image stabilization; and overall excellent photo and video quality for a compact megazoom.
The bad: Battery life is short, especially if you use the Wi-Fi and GPS features or movie capture. The flash isn't in a great location, and there are no easy panorama or HDR shooting options.
The bottom line: Wi-Fi connectivity and a new processor help make Canon's PowerShot SX280 HS one of the top compact megazooms available. But you'd better load up on batteries.
Great Travel/Walk Around Camera
by GKolle on August 31, 2013
Pros: Good built quality, feels solid
Excellent image quality
Good low light performance
20X zoom range gives you lots of flexibility
High-speed sports mode
Very good stabilization
Cons: No support for Raw files
No custom settings
Loss of detail at high ISO
Summary: I have a Canon 60d dslr with several lenses, but when walking around town or traveling, it is too much gear to carry. As I result, I sometimes miss photo ...
Summary: I have a Canon 60d dslr with several lenses, but when walking around town or traveling, it is too much gear to carry. As I result, I sometimes miss photo opportunities. I wanted a small camera that I could easily carry anywhere and be able to take good photos and video when the opportunity arose.Edit:
I now have it in the Canon SX280. And at a very modest price.
The camera is compact and pocketable, however, I prefer to carry it on my belt in a Case Logic DCB302 which is the perfect size.
This camera offers a lot:
1. Good built quality. It feels solid, well made in your hand.
2. Excellent image quality. Sometimes when looking at the photos it surprises how clear and sharp they are.
3. Very good color.
4. 20X zoom range gives you lots of flexibility. You can go from macro to a distant image with ease. And no need to change lenses.
5. I prefer a view finder, but I have to say that the screen on this camera is high quality. In sunlight that "erases" the screen on other point and shoot cameras I have tried, this camera still allows you to see the scene or figure you are photographing. Remains visible in all but super bright situations.
6. Fast continuous shooting, up to 14fps. Unfortunately, however, when shooting at 14 fps the screen goes dark so you are shooting blind. But at 3 fps, you continue to see what you are aiming at. 3 fps is pretty fast. My present slr Canon 60d is faster, but the Canon slr T2i I had before it was about the same, and the camera before that was only 1.1 fps. I tested it standing on a street corner and shooting the cars turning the corner and going down the street away from me, watching the scene all the time on the screen. I then replayed these photos very rapidly on my computer and there was so little movement of the cars between photos that it was almost like watching video. With 3 fps you should get pretty action shots if shooting sports events.
7. Good video. There is a dedicated video mode that gives you more options, but you can press the video button when shooting stills and get HD video. I tested this standing on the same street corner. The video was smooth and I was even able to zoom in while shooting without loss of quality. I can't do that with my Canon 60d.
8. Very good stabilization.
I first bought the Canon SX260, but then decided to send it back and get the SX280 instead. This was no problem, which is why I buy from Amazon. I had liked the SX260 very much in the short time I tested it, so worried while waiting for the 280 that I might have made a mistake. But all is well. The SX260 was very good, the photos I am getting with the SX280 are even better.
I wish that I could bracket, take at least 3 stills with different resolutions that I could assemble in my software to make a HD image, but that is not possible with this camera. But I am not taking a star away because I realize that Canon is not going to put everything in a $200 camera that it does in cameras that cost much more.
I am not using the Wifi and GPS and probably never will, so can't comment on them. But for a camera purchased at a modest price the SX280 more than satisfies my desire for a camera that I can carry with me anywhere, including travel, and be able to take stills and video I can be proud of.
PS: I suggest to check for buy best price at: Camerapicking.blogspot.com/p/canon-powershot-sx280-hs.html
Thank for reading, hope it helps.
Updated on Dec 23, 2013
I suggest to check for buy best price at: camerabuilding.wordpress.com/canon-powershot-sx280/
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
photo quality is very good.color contrasts is fine.
by collinpawel on January 25, 2014
Pros: very small.
good picture quality
image stabilisations are good.
Cons: low battery.
- Manufacturer: Canon
- Part number: 8224B001
- Description: The PowerShot SX280 HS is a super-charged SX-series model featuring Canon's very latest proprietary processor, the DIGIC 6 image processor, for improved performance and exceptional clarity in low-light scenarios. The camera makes it easy to show off your high quality images and video wherever you are, with enhanced built-in Wi-Fi technology that lets you share photos with comments on social networking sites - even within specific groups. Capture everything from quick snaps to artistic images with a powerful 20x optical zoom and 25 mm wide-angle lens, with optical image stabilizer to reduce blur throughout the zoom range. Even low-light images impress with the Canon HS system: a combination of a 12.1-megapixel CMOS sensor and the DIGIC 6 image processor. Preserve memories in ultra-smooth 1080p/60p Full HD video with the amazing processing power of the DIGIC 6 image processor, which also enables enhanced Dynamic IS for reduced blur, plus video recording in the easy-to-share MP4 format. The camera also gives you access to extraordinary imaging capabilities with Smart AUTO that recognizes 58 predefined scenes, Face ID that adjusts focus and exposure for your loved ones, and Intelligent IS that dramatically reduces camera shake. Hybrid auto creates an optimized "highlight reel" of your day, while built-in GPS## records the location and local time, making the PowerShot SX280 HS a perfect travel camera, ready to share the spectacular images you'll capture!
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Enclosure Color Black
- Resolution 12.1 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CMOS
- Total Pixels 12,800,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 12,100,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2.3"
- Wireless Connection IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Optical Zoom 20 x
- Digital Zoom 4 x
- Image Processor DIGIC 6
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- AE/AF Control Subject-tracking AF
- Face Detection Wink Self-timer,
Face Detection Self-timer,
Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB
- Digital Video Format MOV,
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Max Video Resolution 1920 x 1080
- AV Interfaces HDMI,
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 3200,
- Exposure Metering Evaluative,
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Handheld night shot,
Hi-speed burst HQ,
- Special Effects Miniature,
Black & White,
Darker Skin Tone,
Lighter Skin Tone,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Daylight,
Fluorescent light (daylight)
- Max Shutter Speed 1/3200 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 15 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Type 20 x,
Zoom lens - 4.5 mm - 90 mm - F/3.5-6.8
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 25 - 500 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Min Focus Range 2 in
- Macro Focus Range 2 in - 19.7 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 10 groups / 12 elements
- Features Aspherical lens,
Built-in lens shield
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Flash Modes Fill-in mode,
Flash OFF mode,
- Features Flash +/- compensation,
- Effective Flash Range 1.6 ft - 11.5 ft ( Wide lens ),
3.3 ft - 6.6 ft ( Tele lens )
- Continuous Shooting Speed 14 frames per second for 7 frames,
5.1 frames per second for 7 frames,
1 frame per second,
3.8 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Additional Features Digital image rotation,
Display brightness control,
In-camera red-eye removal,
Smart Flash Exposure,
Resizing an image,
Cropping an image,
I-Contrast (Intelligent Contrast Correction) system,
Exif Print support,
Intelligent Image Stabilisation (IS),
RGB primary color filter,
Live View Control,
Camera orientation detection,
1080p Full HD movie recording,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 3 in LCD display
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Microphone Features Wind noise reduction
- Connector Type 1 x Hi-Speed USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x HDMI output
- Software Canon ImageBrowser EX,
Canon Map Utility,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support Windows 8,
MS Windows XP SP3,
MS Windows Vista SP2,
Apple Mac OS X 10.6 - 10.8,
MS Windows 7 SP1
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Included Accessories Battery charger,
- Supported Battery Canon NB-6L
- Supported Battery 1 x Canon NB-6L Li-ion rechargeable battery - 1000 mAh ( Included )
- Battery Life Details Photo shooting ( GPS off ),
Photo shooting ( ECO mode ),
Playback - 3.5 hour(s)
Memory / Storage
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card,
SDXC Memory Card
- Image Storage JPEG 4000 x 3000,
JPEG 4000 x 2248,
JPEG 4000 x 2664,
JPEG 2816 x 1584,
JPEG 2816 x 2112,
JPEG 2816 x 1880,
JPEG 1920 x 1080,
JPEG 1600 x 1200,
JPEG 1600 x 1064,
JPEG 640 x 480,
JPEG 640 x 360,
JPEG 640 x 424,
JPEG 2992 x 2992,
JPEG 2112 x 2112,
JPEG 1200 x 1200,
JPEG 480 x 480
- Video Capture H.264 - 1920 x 1080,
H.264 - 1280 x 720,
H.264 - 640 x 480,
H.264 - 640 x 480,
H.264 - 320 x 240,
H.264 - 1920 x 1080
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 4.2 in
- Depth 1.3 in
- Height 2.5 in
- Weight 7.4 oz
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 90%
- Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom.