Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR
Manufacturer: Fujifilm Part number: 16286412
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/20/2014
|Winner of Bizrate Circle of Excellence Award 2005-06-07-08!!!|| || In stock || |
as of 08/20/2014
|Your Trusted Source since 1983|| || In stock |
Free Shipping. Ships same day.
as of 08/21/2014
| || In stock || |
as of 08/20/2014
|Best Buy|| || In stock || |
as of 08/19/2014
| || In stock |
as of 08/20/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $337.00 - $476.56
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 04/02/2013
The good: The Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR has a nice 42x manual zoom lens; fast performance; very good picture quality for its class; a lot of shooting options, including manual and semimanual modes and raw capture; and excellent hardware features.
The bad: Its manual zoom isn't great for zooming while capturing movies; it's large and heavy; for those uninitiated with Fujifilm's EXR sensors, getting the best results can require a little extra effort.
The bottom line: The Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR's features and performance are well beyond those of your average point-and-shoot megazoom, making it a fine choice for enthusiasts and as a family camera.
Very Nice Camera for General Use, Wildlife and Birding
by Robert4GET on April 18, 2013
Pros: Read in summary
Cons: Read in summary
Summary: The new Fujifilm HS50EXR is a very nice upgrade of the HS30EXR. The best feature of this camera is the 42x (1000 mm eq.) F2.8-5.6 zoom lens. It ...
Summary: The new Fujifilm HS50EXR is a very nice upgrade of the HS30EXR. The best feature of this camera is the 42x (1000 mm eq.) F2.8-5.6 zoom lens. It is very sharp throughout its range. The next best feature is the very fast and accurate focusing. Fuji uses a new 0.5 inch sensor with phase detection pixels and contrast detection to quickly AND accurately focus the lens. All in all, a very nice wildlife, birding and general camera for a good price.
- Whopping 42x (1000mm eq.) F2.8-5.6 zoom lens. Edge sharpness is good and purple fringing is all but eliminated by the EBC lens coating and the software.
- Fast and accurate automatic focusing within the optical zoom range. Focusing accuracy is average to poor while in digital zoom.
- Lens shift optical image stabilization is excellent and allows you to hand hold to 84x(42x optical, 42x digital).
- The new processing system is much, much faster than the HS30EXR. Frame freeze is eliminated (so far).
- Image quality is good and comparable to the HS30EXR but is still limited by the 0.5 inch sensor.
- Space for your fingers above the lens has been provided to manually focus the camera.
- The macro mode is outstanding and allows you to focus as close as one centimeter. Produces amazing insect photos.
- Fuji's color has always been outstanding and is so with this camera.
- The EVF (Electronic View Finder) is very usable with 920 K dots and is my preferred method.
- Excellent 920,000 dot articulated LCD display.
- Very useful "Q" button that gathers all of your most changed settings in one place.
- Three way switch on the side of the camera that allows you to change from Continuous, Single and Manual focus is very useful.
- Manual focus is better, especially using focus peak highlight to strengthen high contrast outlines but I still yearn for my split screen as on my Nikkormat and no focus hunting.
- I find that I only use EXR mode when the conditions are poor. In looking at my photos, I find I have good photos of poor conditions and usually do not use them.
- Focusing accuracy is average to poor while in digital zoom.
- The menu system needs to be better organized with like settings grouped together.
- The manual needs to be expanded and organized, with actual explanations of the myriad of features and a usable index. It is not enough to just list the feature.
- You should not have to go through menus to access RAW file mode. It should be one touch as on the earlier HS cameras.
-As a Photoshop user, I find the SilkyPix included program to be very un-intuitive and almost useless.
- The battery door is an accident waiting to happen. It is poorly constructed of cheap, flimsy plastic, is difficult to open, and sure to break. What happened to the old HS battery door that was well constructed with a steel back?
- This year's lens cap is also a disaster. In the name of style, Fuji has eliminated any chance of gripping the cap and releasing it from the lens. Maybe I can buy last years model that was designed with function over form.
- Before you will buy this camera I suggest check for best deal at: Digitalcameragreatdeals.blogspot.com/p/hs50exr.html
Hope this review is helpful, good luck!
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Fujifilm
- Part number: 16286412
- Description: The Fujinon optical 42x manual zoom lens effectively combines spherical lenses, ED lens, and integrated lenses to achieve a bright aperture rating of f/2.8-5.6, and image stabilization. Super macro mode allows close-up shooting from as near as 1 cm and the manual barrel zoom ensures speedy, intuitive control of the camera. All the lens elements used in the FinePix HS50EXR have been treated with multilayer Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating), the same process used for Fujinon broadcasting video lenses and large-format camera lenses acclaimed by professionals. Reducing ghosting and lens flare, the treatment promises clear image quality.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Resolution 16 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CMOS
- Effective Sensor Resolution 16,000,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2"
- Optical Zoom 42 x
- Digital Zoom 2 x
- Image Processor EXR Processor II
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- Auto Focus TTL contrast and phase detection
- AE/AF Control Subject-tracking AF,
- Face Detection Face Detection AF/AE,
Automatic Face Tracking technology
- Digital Video Format MOV,
- Image Recording Format JPEG,
RAW + JPEG
- Max Video Resolution 1920 x 1080
- AV Interfaces HDMI
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 3200,
ISO 6400 (8Mpix),
ISO 12800 (4Mpix),
- Exposure Metering Average,
- Exposure Metering Zones 256
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Snow,
- Special Effects Miniature,
Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Shade,
Fluorescent light (daylight),
Fluorescent light (warm white),
Fluorescent light (cool white)
- Max Shutter Speed 1/4000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 30 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Bracketing 3 steps in 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV steps
- Type 42 x,
Fujinon Zoom lens - 4.4 mm - 185 mm - F/2.8-5.6
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 24 - 1000 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Min Focus Range 17.7 in
- Macro Focus Range 0.4 in
- Zoom Adjustment Manual
- Lens Construction 12 groups / 17 elements
- Filter Size 58 mm
- Features Aspherical lens,
Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating)
- Camera Flash Flash
- Flash Modes Fill-in mode,
Flash OFF mode,
- Features AF illuminator
- Effective Flash Range 1 ft - 26 ft : ISO auto ( Wide lens ),
8 ft - 13 ft : ISO auto ( Tele lens )
- Continuous Shooting Speed 6 frames per second for 5 frames,
16 frames per second for 13 frames (8MPix),
11 frames per second for 5 frames,
3 frames per second for 11 frames
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Flash Terminal Hot shoe
- Additional Features Digital image rotation,
EXR AUTO mode,
In-camera red-eye removal,
Manual Focus Check Live View,
Film Simulation Bracketing,
Dynamic Range Bracketing,
Eye-Fi Card Ready,
Resizing an image,
Cropping an image,
Exif Print support,
Automatic Scene Recognition (SR Auto),
RGB primary color filter,
Motion Panorama 360,
Digital level meter,
Highlight point display,
Takes photos while movie recording,
1080p Full HD movie recording,
USB 2.0 compatibility
- Viewfinder Type LCD
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size 0.26 in
- Viewfinder Resolution 920,000 pixels
- Features Auto eye sensor
- Type 3 in LCD display
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Microphone Features Sensitivity control
- Connector Type 1 x Hi-Speed USB,
1 x Microphone ( Sub-mini phone stereo 2.5 mm ),
1 x HDMI output
- Software Drivers & Utilities
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Included Accessories Battery charger,
Lens cap strap,
- Supported Battery Fujifilm NP-W126
- Supported Battery 1 x Fujifilm NP-W126 Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
- Battery Life Details Photo shooting ( AUTO mode )
Memory / Storage
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card,
SDXC Memory Card,
SDXC UHS-I Memory Card,
SDHC UHS-I Memory Card
- Image Storage JPEG 4608 x 3456,
JPEG 4608 x 3072,
JPEG 4608 x 2592,
JPEG 3264 x 2448,
JPEG 3264 x 2176,
JPEG 3264 x 1840,
JPEG 2304 x 1728,
JPEG 2304 x 1536,
JPEG 1920 x 1080,
JPEG 3456 x 3456,
JPEG 2432 x 2432,
JPEG 1728 x 1728
- Video Capture H.264 - 1920 x 1080,
H.264 - 1280 x 720,
H.264 - 640 x 480,
H.264 - 640 x 480,
H.264 - 320 x 240,
H.264 - 320 x 112
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 5.3 in
- Depth 5.7 in
- Height 4 in
- Weight 1.7 lbs
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 80% (non-condensing)
- Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom.