Minolta Dimage S414
Manufacturer: Konica Minolta Part number: 2799-301
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 06/19/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $399.95
- Reviewed by: Christy Balich
- Reviewed on: 05/15/2003
- Released on: 02/10/2003
The good: Solid body; easy to use; fairly broad feature set for the price.
The bad: Sluggish autofocus.
The bottom line: A mixed performer with good features, the Dimage S414 delivers a solid but unremarkable point-and-shoot photo experience.
Great for novice folks!
Pros: Size, weight and print results.
Cons: For novice, too many choices! I just wanted a good 4mp camera, but this one has too many choices for me.
high quality bargain
Pros: I bought this camera this summer. It is my first digital. And however I’ am an experienced photographer I’ am still learning new things on the Dimage S414. For instance I read some complaints about the bad performance in low light. The flash overexposes a
Cons: The lens is vulnerable. The lens hood design is awkward and can cause damage to the lens! So for lens protection use an UV filter if you can afford it. The quality of the LCD display is under average and hardly useable in broad daylight. Colours on the LC
Excellent choice for budget amateurs beyond point-and-shoot
Pros: Excellent Lens. Sturdy Construction. 4x Zoom. Decent Flash. Good range of manual control. Threaded lens mounts. Good battery life with NIMH's. Excellent Picture Quality. Very good night time color shots. The CNET reviewer is nothing more than an enthusia
Cons: Alkaline Battery life is utter sh*t. Auto Mode is weird. Get NIMH and a Compact Flash Reader.
Very good camera for the money.
Pros: Solid body that is easy to hold. Very good pictures and quick shot to shot performance. Not sure why cnet rates it so-so. I have a Nikon 995 and think that this camera rivals it for photos.
Cons: A little heavy, and auto focus is not always perfect. Battery life is not the best, just make sure you have rechargeables.
Worst digital camera ever used
Pros: 4 M, pixel Able to shot picture
Cons: Bad color Bad contrast Bad focus Dummsy
Eats Batteries like crazy
Pros: Takes real nice outdoor shots in good lighting conditions
Cons: I got about 5 pictures out of a set of 4 batteries , that came with the camera . bought $70.00 rechargables and they last for about 30 pics and that's it . The cameras software sucks also . Never seems to work .
DONT WAIST YOUR MONEY FOR INDOOR SHOTS
Pros: THE CAMERA IS NICE AND HEAVY FITS GOOD IN HAND NICE FEATURES ALMOST TO MANY FEATURES
Cons: FLASH SUCKS PERIOD PICTURES ARE GREAT OUTDOORS INDOORS THOUGH IS ANOTHER STORY, I DID 40 SAMPLE SHOTS ABOUT 38 OUT OF 40 HAD GREEN IN THE PICTURES? B+W/ OR SEPHIA NO GREEN THERE OK THE SCREEN GETS CHOPPY AFTER CAMERA WARMS UP CAMERA AND CF CARD GETS HOT A
Very nice camero
Pros: Solid build and good size lcd screen. Love the manual focus feature!!! And execellent price for 4MP camera. Beach camera sells it for around $260. Surprise CNET is blinded and give it a average rating. I think they are biased toward canon camera :)
Cons: Well, like to see firewire port on this camera. Maybe thicker, but it fit nicely in the hand, and feels like regular camera.
Great price, lots of options. Poor performance in low light.
Pros: Compact, yet doesn't feel fragile. On auto setting in good light the pics are good. Has manual focus and the macro setting was awsome. This cam has great video quality and easy to load pics to p.c.
Cons: I was very excited when I bought this camera. Having used Minoltas for years and recommend them over other brands. I was disappointed when I ended up with many out of focus pics. I could not take pics with the flash off. When I did they were out of focus.
Graet buy for a good(?) camera
Summary: I got the camera, read the instructions and made one exposure with it. Then it wouldn't take any more. I think the CCD went South. Minolta service said they ...
Summary: I got the camera, read the instructions and made one exposure with it. Then it wouldn't take any more. I think the CCD went South. Minolta service said they didn't have any parts to fix it and would have to order it/them. Will take about a month. Nice customer relations.
- Manufacturer: Konica Minolta
- Part number: 2799-301
- Description: The Konica Minolta DiMAGE S414 meets amateur photographers' needs for a digital camera that provides high-quality image processing, a dynamic zooming range, advanced autofocus and autoexposure performance and fast, easy operation. The DiMAGE S414's high-precision electro-optical system is built around a 4.1 megapixel 1/1.8-type interline primary-color CCD with 4.0 million effective pixels for fine high-resolution images. This pixel resolution will produce B4 size 150dpi prints or A5 size photo-quality prints. The Konica Minolta DiMAGE S414 features a Konica Minolta GT LENS, a high performance lens class for digital cameras. It is a high-resolution, all-glass apochromat lens featuring both an AD (anomalous dispersion) element and two double-sided aspheric elements to ensure clear, sharp, and detailed images with minimum chromatic aberration at all focal lengths. The DiMAGE S414 features Konica Minolta's proprietary CxProcess, a new image processing technology that provides clear and natural images. In image processing, too much emphasis on natural color produces flat color pictures. Overemphasizing the color range creates an unnatural color scheme. CxProcess balances both extremes by controlling sharpness, color reproduction, tonal gradation and noise to produce pleasing photographs. The digital camera has a 12-bit A/D conversion that can provide a fine tonal gradation with deep shadows, brilliant highlights and millions of colors, up to 4,096 levels in each RGB channel, with more than 68 billion colors. Konica Minolta's 12-bit A/D conversion provides exquisite details in portraiture: smooth complexion, rich shadows and luminous highlights, as opposed to the standard 10-bit A/D conversion with its limited 1,024 levels per RGB channel. The DiMAGE S414 has a high power 4x optical zoom lens - a range equivalent to a 35mm-140mm zoom lens on a 35mm camera - that has the flexibility to capture pictures ranging from wide-angle landscapes to intimate portraits. The One-Touch 2.2x digital zoom gives the Konica Minolta DiMAGE S414 a zoom ratio of up to a 308mm focal length on a 35mm camera. The macro setting on the camera produces sharp close-up images of subjects as near 3.9 inches from the lens. A higher pixel count generally means slower operation. However, the DiMAGE S414's high speed LSI with a 32-bit RISC CPU and the 32 MB SDRAM buffer memory ensures responsive and effortless operation. The DiMAGE S414 is fast. The image capturing interval time of 0.8 second and brisk continuous advance speed of 1.3 frames per second with up to 7 frames (with full-size - 2272x1704 pixels - images in the fine image-quality mode) can transform a passing moment into a priceless memory. With a playback loading time of 0.2 second, images are previewed quickly. Using a wide focus area, the cross-hair main autofocus control accurately and quickly determines subject distance, regardless of the horizontal or vertical subject contrast. Focus Area Selection is a flexible tool that singles out a specific subject in the image area by selecting from five spot focus areas. With Konica Minolta's Focus Area Selection, photographers can move the focusing point to single out a specific subject from a number of objects at varying distances. The S414 can also be manually focused for users that wish to take creative control. The controls over exposure are amazing. The DiMAGE S414 has multi-segment and spot metering. Multi-segment metering uses 270 segments to determine exposure. Three exposure modes are available: program, aperture priority, and manual. 15-second bulb exposures can be made in manual exposure. Camera sensitivity can be set to auto or to one of four ISO equivalent levels: 64, 100, 200, or 400. And to ensure the best exposure possible, an automatic three-frame bracket can be made with 0.3, 0.5, of 1.0 EV steps. The camera's controls are positioned and designed with a four-way controller and easy-to-read menu for ease of use. The mode dial allows the user to switch instantly between fully automatic recording and multi-function recording for more creative control. A shutter sound effect indicates the shutter has been released. The DiMAGE S414's compact design features a lightweight aluminum body, and is designed to feel comfortable in the hands, making it the perfect choice for people on the go. The sharpness, contrast, and filter digital effects controls are image-processing tools built into the DiMAGE S414. These functions allow image data to be maximized at the scene. Sharpness accentuates or softens details. Contrast controls the difference between brightness levels; increasing the contrast makes the highlights brighter and the shadows darker. And the new Filter effects make a color image warmer or cooler. Unique to digital imaging, the DiMAGE S414's real-time histogram shows the luminance distribution of the image before it is captured. Displayed with the live image, the histogram allows the subject brightness and contrast to be evaluated to optimize the camera's exposure and contrast controls. White balance controls how the camera interprets the color of the ambient lighting. Auto white balance compensates for changes in lighting automatically. Four preset white-balance settings, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, and fluorescent, can be selected for specific light sources. And for critical control over color, the custom setting allows the camera to be calibrated to the lighting conditions at the scene. The camera's color mode has five options: Natural Color, Vivid Color, black and white, Sepia, and solarization. Natural Color preserves the actual colors of the scene and Vivid Color accentuates them. Black and white creates a neutral monochrome image whereas the new Sepia mode gives the classic appearance of toning in old photographs. Solarization creates a partial reversal of tones and colors in the highlights for creative effects. The DiMAGE S414 can continuously record still images at a rate of approximately 1.6 frames per second. A ten-second self-timer is available for self-portraits. The optional remote control RC-3 can used to record still images and movie clips from up to 16 feet away. The DiMAGE S414 is not limited to recording still images. Sixty seconds of digital video with audio can be captured. Voice memo allows up to 15 seconds of audio to be attached to an image when it is captured. The movie clips and audio tracks can be played back in the camera. The LCD monitor displays active camera settings, exposure information, and warnings. This information can be turned off so that the entire image can be viewed. The DiMAGE S414 has two additional displays for critical composition: grid and scale. Usually found in large-format view cameras, the grid makes aligning the camera with vertical or horizontal elements within the image simple; confirming that the horizon or buildings are straight in landscape or architectural photography is easy. The scale can be used in close-up photography to judge the relative proportions of the subject.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Point-and-shoot highlights Having video capture capability makes this camera ideal for social functions or vacation shots.
- Enclosure Color Silver
- Resolution 4 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Total Pixels 4,100,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 4,000,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/1.8"
- Optical Zoom 4 x
- Digital Zoom 2.2 x
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 3
- Digital Video Format MJPEG
- Image Recording Format JPEG,
- AV Interfaces Component video
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 100,
- Exposure Metering Multi-segment,
- Exposure Metering Zones 270
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Night portrait,
- Special Effects Solarization,
Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Daylight,
- Max Shutter Speed 1/1000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 15 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Bracketing 3 steps in 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps
- Type 4 x x Zoom lens - 7.15 mm - 28.6 mm - F/3.0-3.6
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 35 - 140 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Min Focus Range 19.7 in
- Macro Focus Range 6.3 in - 23.6 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 9 groups / 11 elements
- Filter Size 35.5 mm
- Features Aspherical lens
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Flash Modes Fill-in mode,
Flash OFF mode,
- Continuous Shooting Speed 1.6 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 10 sec
- Flash Terminal None
- Status LCD Display Information Photo quality,
Memory card status,
White balance indicators,
- Additional Features Audio recording,
PRINT Image Matching,
RGB primary color filter,
- Viewfinder Type Optical - Real-image zoom
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Viewfinder Frames Autofocus frame
- LED Information Autofocus ready,
- Type 1.8 in LCD display
- Resolution 122,000
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Mono
- Connector Type 1 x USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x DC power input
- Software Drivers & Utilities
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows 98 SE,
MS Windows 98,
Apple Mac OS X 10.1.5,
MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000,
Apple Mac OS 9.2.2,
Apple Mac OS 9.2,
Apple Mac OS X 10.1.4,
MS Windows ME,
Apple Mac OS 9.1,
Apple Mac OS X 10.2.1,
Apple Mac OS X 10.2.2,
Apple Mac OS X 10.1.3,
Apple Mac OS 9
- Peripheral Devices USB port
- Included Accessories USB cable,
Audio / video cable
- Body Material Aluminum
- Supported Battery AA
- Supported Battery 4 x AA Alkaline battery ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- RAM Installed 32 MB
- Memory Card Slot CompactFlash Card
- Supported Memory Cards CompactFlash
- Internal Storage 16 MB
- Included Memory Card 16 MB CompactFlash Card
- Image Storage Super-fine TIFF 2272 x 1704 : 1 VA - With 16MB card,
Fine JPEG 2272 x 1704 : 6 VA - With 16MB card,
Standard JPEG 2272 x 1704 : 11 VA - With 16MB card,
Economy JPEG 2272 x 1704 : 17 VA - With 16MB card,
Super-fine TIFF 1600 x 1200 : 2 VA - With 16MB card,
Fine JPEG 1600 x 1200 : 12 VA - With 16MB card,
Standard JPEG 1600 x 1200 : 19 VA - With 16MB card,
Economy JPEG 1600 x 1200 : 27 VA - With 16MB card,
Super-fine TIFF 1280 x 960 : 3 VA - With 16MB card,
Fine JPEG 1280 x 960 : 17 VA - With 16MB card,
Standard JPEG 1280 x 960 : 26 VA - With 16MB card,
Economy JPEG 1280 x 960 : 33 VA - With 16MB card,
Super-fine TIFF 640 x 480 : 13 VA - With 16MB card,
Fine JPEG 640 x 480 : 34 VA - With 16MB card,
Standard JPEG 640 x 480 : 42 VA - With 16MB card,
Economy JPEG 640 x 480 : 48 VA - With 16MB card
- Video Capture MPEG - 320 x 240 - 51 sec - With 16MB card,
MPEG - 320 x 240 - 60 sec - Max clip duration
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 4.5 in
- Depth 2.3 in
- Height 2.6 in
- Weight 11.2 oz