Nikon Coolpix L2
Manufacturer: Nikon Inc. Part number: 25543
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 06/18/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $222.10
- Reviewed by: Theano Nikitas
- Edited by: Will Greenwald
- Reviewed on: 05/22/2006
- Released on: 02/27/2006
The good: Easy to use; excellent image quality for an inexpensive camera; useful macro mode; effective D-Lighting feature; attractive design.
The bad: Extremely limited image options; average performance.
The bottom line: The no-frills Nikon Coolpix L2 is slow, but its pictures are quite good.
A great camera for first 6 months...
by bc1054 on July 31, 2009
Pros: Pictures are very good under ideal conditions... outside, lots of natural lighting, no need for the flash, object standing still. Nikon service centre is excellent.
Cons: Indoor or with less than ideal conditions, the pictures are poor. The auto focus never really works for indoor pictures and using the flash.
Summary: Bought from Bestbuy in Nov 2006 with 3 years extended warranty. During the first 6 months L2 performs brilliantly giving me excellent pictures both indoor and outdoor. But after that ...
Summary: Bought from Bestbuy in Nov 2006 with 3 years extended warranty. During the first 6 months L2 performs brilliantly giving me excellent pictures both indoor and outdoor. But after that the auto focus started downhill and I have to return the camera for serving. Even though Nikon replaced the lens assembly ... but the camera is never the same. It still gives good pictures for outdoor, lots of sunshine conditions but for indoor, using the flash etc... the pictures are usually poor. We finally give up and buy another new camera (different brand).
Waste of money
by aalmuhannadi on November 2, 2007
Pros: Simple point and shoot
Cons: Captures moving objects as very blurred pictures
Summary: My opinion is that I've wasted a lot of money on this piece of crap, even when you want to capture a monitor screen, there are black slides that ...
Summary: My opinion is that I've wasted a lot of money on this piece of crap, even when you want to capture a monitor screen, there are black slides that appear. When capturing a video, there are additional sounds added. I recommend the HP Photosmart R742 Digital Camera.
Great camera for the price
by cuhacpeter on February 19, 2007
Pros: Compact size, sturdy design
Cons: No viewfinder
Summary: I bought 6 of these for our office to take on site visits. I must say these guys are pretty hard on cameras, some I had to teach to even ...
Summary: I bought 6 of these for our office to take on site visits. I must say these guys are pretty hard on cameras, some I had to teach to even use a digital. They have been through a lot of wear and tear and the only problem I have had on *one* of them was that the telescope lens will not fully close.
These are great cameras for the inexperienced point and shoot types. I love them, and am very happy with the purchase.
Great Price, Great Pictures, Easy to use!
by princessdi232 on July 23, 2006
Pros: Great image quality, Amazing battery life
Cons: Slow flash recharge, no manual ISO
Summary: I have looked everywhere for a great point and shoot camera at a good price. This camera is a great value. Easy to use, really clear images even in low ...
Summary: I have looked everywhere for a great point and shoot camera at a good price. This camera is a great value. Easy to use, really clear images even in low light situations. It takes 2 AA batteries and with the rechargable ones the battery life is really exceptional! I cant believe how long I could go without changing them! The software, Picture Project is really good also to edit red-eye etc...I love this camera! I wish it was a little faster in between pictures when flash is on but other than that, I would recommend it to anyone looking for great pictures, at a great price. Not really recommended for advanced digital camera user. Not enough manual controls.
Coolpix L2 perfect for my purpose: point and shoot with some [limited] options
by larkbird on June 3, 2006
Pros: Nice yet low-key design, takes AA batteries, compact, takes great pictures, easy to use
Cons: A bit slow, not something people will necessarily be impressed by
Summary: I bought this camera to use for a summer traveling in Colorado and Europe (this summer). I've been experimenting with the options and found that as an basic digital ...
Summary: I bought this camera to use for a summer traveling in Colorado and Europe (this summer). I've been experimenting with the options and found that as an basic digital camera user, this digital has PLENTY of non-automatic options for me, including different types of flash (auto, auto with red eye, night flash, and flash off), plenty of versatile scene modes, and a better-than-decent macro mode. Let's be honest: the majority of people will only ever use the auto mode anyway. Nikon presents a really solid option for me, especially as a 16-year-old, and it's cheap: I got it for $191 at buydig.com. It is a bit slow--the flash takes a decent time to recharge--but overall this is a fantastic budget camera. I recommend it.
I sell cameras and this is one of my favorites
by crash6190 on June 1, 2006
Pros: good quality pictures and easy to use
Cons: doesn't have the same options as some more expensive camera
Packs a punch - not flashy, but good price, quick response, and small
by jediaz on March 29, 2006
Pros: value, 6.0 MP, small camera, 2 AA batteries, crisp digital pictures
Cons: Batteries do add a little bit of weight, not great in low-light
Summary: I just got this camera 2 days ago, so I haven't seen how they come out developed. I had an older model Nikon and enjoyed it, but needed an ...
Summary: I just got this camera 2 days ago, so I haven't seen how they come out developed. I had an older model Nikon and enjoyed it, but needed an upgrade. So much smaller and lighter, and only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't go for the rechargable cameras else I get stuck somewhere without an outlet when the batteries go dead. Outdoor pictures with the L2 look so crisp and fabulous. I am working out the bugs, and will know more about how these work out in a few weeks
- On close-up I couldn't get too close, else it auto-focuses on the background.
- Indoor pictures looked a bit dark - this was the same as its predecessor, so I knew this going in, but I am mostly an outdoor enthusiast
- When transferring pictures using their software, it corrupted 2 files. when the kit included an image recovery program, I should have known. Fortunately you don't need to use their program to transfer files. I decided to go back and use Nikon View which came with my older camera, and it worked well from there on out.
- Manufacturer: Nikon Inc.
- Part number: 25543
- Description: Behind the smooth, elegant design of the COOLPIX L2 is a range of sophisticated features designed to preserve the moment perfectly. With a generous 6 megapixel resolution, this camera delivers instantly recognizable quality. The 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens puts everything from group portraits to expansive landscapes within easy reach and the bright 2.0-inch LCD monitor simplifies composition and playback, leaving you free to enjoy your special moments. 15 different Scene Modes - 4 with Scene Assist - improve your results by automatically providing appropriate settings for everything from party portraits to fireworks at night. Movies may be recorded in three modes - TV size (640), Small size (320) and Smaller-size (160) - so you can capture and share so much more through the TV, computer screen and e-mail.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Point-and-shoot highlights A panoramic assist function is provided in this camera, making it ideal for vacation pictures. Video capture ability makes this camera ideal for social functions or vacation shots.
- Enclosure Color Gray
- Resolution 6 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Total Pixels 6,180,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 6,000,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2.5"
- Optical Zoom 3 x
- Digital Zoom 4 x
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Digital Video Format QuickTime
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- AV Interfaces Composite video
Exposure & White Balance
- Exposure Metering Matrix
- Exposure Metering Zones 256
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Dawn/dusk,
- Special Effects Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Incandescent,
- Max Shutter Speed 1/1500 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 4 sec
- Type 3 x x Zoom lens - 6.3 mm - 19.2 mm - F/3.2-5.3
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 38 - 116 mm
- Focus Adjustment Automatic
- Min Focus Range 11.8 in
- Macro Focus Range 4 in - 12 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 5 groups / 5 elements
- Features Built-in lens shield
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Flash Modes Slow synchro,
Flash OFF mode,
- Effective Flash Range 1 ft - 10 ft
- Continuous Shooting Speed 1.7 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 10 sec
- Additional Features Display brightness control,
In-camera red-eye fix,
Auto power save,
Cropping an image,
Face-priority AF function
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 2 in LCD display
- Resolution 86,000 pixels
- Display Features Built-in
- Connector Type 1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x USB
- Software Drivers & Utilities,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows ME,
MS Windows 98 SE,
MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000,
Apple Mac OS X 10.1.5 or later
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- System Requirements Details MacOS X 10.1.5 or later - 64 MB - 60 MB,
Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP - 64 MB - 60 MB
- Included Accessories Wrist strap,
Audio / video cable
- Supported Battery AA
- Supported Battery 2 x AA Alkaline battery ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- RAM Installed 23 MB
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SD Memory Card
- Included Memory Card 23 MB
- Image Storage Fine JPEG 2816 x 2112 : 8 VA - With 23MB built-in memory,
Normal JPEG 2816 x 2112 : 16 VA - With 23MB built-in memory,
JPEG 2048 x 1536 : 29 VA - With 23MB built-in memory,
JPEG 1024 x 768,
JPEG 640 x 480
- Video Capture QuickTime - 640 x 480,
QuickTime - 640 x 480,
QuickTime - 320 x 240,
QuickTime - 320 x 240,
QuickTime - 160 x 120
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 3.6 in
- Depth 1 in
- Height 2.4 in
- Weight 0.2 lbs
CNET Labs' Benchmarks
- Labs information All values are expressed in seconds. Please visit our <ref type="link" url="http://reviews.cnet.com/Labs/4520-6603 7-1014358-1.html">labs information page</ref> for information on how digital cameras are tested.
- CNET Labs Flash shot to shot time 6.7
- CNET Labs Shot to shot time typical 2.0
- CNET Labs Shutter lag bright 0.9
- CNET Labs Shutter lag dim 2.0
- CNET Labs Typical burst speed 1.1
- CNET Labs Wake up time 4.5