Nikon Coolpix S8100 (Red)
Manufacturer: Nikon Inc. Part number: S8100 Red
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/30/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $298.35
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 01/12/2011
The good: Excellent shooting performance; great LCD; stereo mic; 10x zoom in an attractive compact body.
The bad: Soft photos on either side of ISO 200; white balance is a little off; no manual or semimanual shooting modes.
The bottom line: With fast performance, good photos, and an excellent feature-to-price ratio, the Nikon Coolpix S8100 is a compact megazoom worth considering.
Fantastic for both point&shoot and more advanced photos
by J-Dyzzle on November 17, 2011
Pros: The night portrait and night landscape shooting modes work surprisingly well.
Great auto mode for when you are in a hurry.
Good advanced shooting options for when you want to take your time and make all of the setting decisions yourself.
Cons: Very awkward flash placement. It is way too easy to block the flash from popping up without even knowing it.
Sometimes the auto shooting functions can be a little frustrating.
Shifting through modes can be confusing at first.
Summary: I have had this camera for almost a year now and love it. The flash placement is ridiculously frustrating, but the pros more than make up for it. The HD ...
Summary: I have had this camera for almost a year now and love it. The flash placement is ridiculously frustrating, but the pros more than make up for it. The HD shooting is awesome, as is all of the advanced shooting options. I was torn between the customization abilities of a larger camera, but at the same time, wanted the ease and size of a point and shoot. I think I found the best of both worlds in this camera. Navigating the settings can be a bit of a pain at times, but I keep finding new settings and tools when I play with it. Auto mode has its flaws at times, but when you suddenly want to take a picture of something without fooling around with flash, shutter, ect, the camera works great.
I would recommend it for someone who is a little more advanced with cameras/technology but still wants something relatively small and easy to use.
Great camera for the money
by bajaterry on May 13, 2011
Pros: 10X zoom, good controls
Cons: Quick start guide too quick
Designers were brain dead with this one
by jeaninestewart on February 17, 2011
Pros: Too caught up in the con of the faulty design
Cons: Faulty design of camera
Summary: I'm really dinging this camera down specifically because of the faulty design. Who in the world would manufacture a pop up flash right in the exact spot of the ...
Summary: I'm really dinging this camera down specifically because of the faulty design. Who in the world would manufacture a pop up flash right in the exact spot of the natural hold of the camera? If the flash needs to pop up, your left index finger will most definitely be in the way. The battery also cannot be charged free of the camera itself. At least Kodak got that one right. You can remove the battery and slide into wall charger and use a spare battery inside the camera while another is charging. Yet again bad design on the part of Nikon.
0 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Nikon Inc.
- Part number: S8100 Red
- Description: Fast, responsive and versatile, the Nikon Coolpix S8100 with advanced CMOS sensor technology and incredible 10x zoom will capture fast-moving subjects in still images and Full HD (1080) movies. High-speed operation, exceptional low-light performance, outstanding image quality and sophisticated features mark the 12.1-megapixel S8100. The optical 10x wide zoom, and the camera's speedy start-up, fast auto focus, quick shutter release, superior low light performance and high-speed continuous shooting ensure capture of all your memorable moments. The S8100 also offers optical VR image stabilization, high ISO sensitivity, a flash control system, movie recording with stereo sound and a 3-inch ultra-high resolution clear color display for bright, sharp image viewing and sharing.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Enclosure Color Red
- Resolution 12.1 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CMOS
- Total Pixels 12,750,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 12,100,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2.3"
- Optical Zoom 10 x
- Digital Zoom 4 x
- Image Processor EXPEED C2
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 9
- Digital Video Format H.264,
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- AV Interfaces HDMI,
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO auto (160-3200),
ISO auto (160-400),
ISO auto (160-800)
- Exposure Metering Center-weighted,
- Exposure Metering Zones 256
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Smart portrait
- White Balance Automatic,
- Max Shutter Speed 1/4000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 4 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Exposure Range EV 0.7-15.9 - Wide lens ( ISO 100 ),
EV -2-17.3 - Tele lens ( ISO 100 )
- Type Nikkor,
10 x x Zoom lens - 5.4 mm - 54 mm - F/3.5-5.6
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 30 - 300 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Min Focus Range 19.7 in
- Macro Focus Range 0.4 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 8 groups / 10 elements
- Features Built-in lens shield,
- Camera Flash Pop-up flash
- Flash Modes Slow synchro,
Flash OFF mode,
- Effective Flash Range 1.6 ft - 13 ft
- Continuous Shooting Speed 5 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Additional Features Exif Print support,
Display brightness control,
In-camera red-eye fix,
Best Shot Selector (BSS),
Motion Detection Technology,
Blink Detection technology,
Takes photos while movie recording,
Smile Detection technology,
1080p Full HD movie recording,
Scene Auto Selector,
Face-priority AF function
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 3 in LCD display
- Resolution 921,000 pixels
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Connector Type 1 x Hi-Speed USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x HDMI output
- Software Drivers & Utilities
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Microsoft Certifications Compatible with Windows 7
- Included Accessories Carrying strap,
Audio / video cable
- Body Material Metal
- Supported Battery Nikon EN-EL12
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- RAM Installed 102 MB
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card,
SDXC Memory Card
- Internal Storage None
- Image Storage JPEG 4000 x 3000,
JPEG 3264 x 2448,
JPEG 2592 x 1944,
JPEG 2048 x 1536,
JPEG 1024 x 768,
JPEG 640 x 480,
JPEG 3968 x 2232
- Video Capture H.264 - 1920 x 1080,
H.264 - 640 x 480,
H.264 - 320 x 240
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 4.1 in
- Depth 1.2 in
- Height 2.3 in
- Weight 7.4 oz
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom.