Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 (Black)
Manufacturer: Panasonic Part number: DMC-FH20K
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Memory4Less.com|| Not yet rated || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 05/23/2013Refurbished
| || In stock || |
as of 05/23/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $169.99 - $291.59
- Reviewed by: Joshua Goldman
- Reviewed on: 10/13/2010
The good: Easy to use; flexible lens in a compact metal body; very good value for features, performance, and photo quality.
The bad: Feature set might be too basic for some.
The bottom line: Panasonic's Lumix DMC-FH20 is a very good value for anyone in need of a basic point-and-shoot with a midrange zoom.
Good Pictures but Do Not Buy!
by mjpoling5 on August 26, 2010
Pros: The picture quality was very good. I was impressed with the clarity and detail of the photos.
Cons: Single worst customer experience of my lifetime. I absolutely cannot recommend anyone spending their money due to Panasonic's customer support (as well as possible quality issues).
Summary: I recommended this camera to my daughter based upon very positive online reviews. After 2 uses and only having the camera for 6 weeks, a piece of plastic that sits ...
Summary: I recommended this camera to my daughter based upon very positive online reviews. After 2 uses and only having the camera for 6 weeks, a piece of plastic that sits over the lens came off. I called Panasonic and they had me send it in for repair (at my expense). They asked and I specified that the camera had not been dropped. I received no acknowledgement (other than my own tracking through UPS) that it was received by Panasonic or where it was in their workflow. I called them after 2 weeks and Customer Support told me that I'd be receiving a letter that week from their center in McAllen, TX, that while it was 6 weeks old they had not seen that issue and would not be covering it under warranty. I have now received their letter. I can pay $128 to repair a $160, 6 week old camera. With my repaired or refurbished returned camera, I will now have a 90 day warranty even though the camera came with a year warranty. Under no circumstance can I recommend this camera to anyone.
3 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Good zoom, bad customer service
by jpcam3 on February 3, 2011
Pros: The size of the camera and the picture quality were very good. The 8x zoom was impressive for the quality.
Cons: The worst customer service I have experienced. I've had various devices that develop problems and have always had good service for repairs under warranty. I would not recommend a Panasonic camera due to their disqualifying nature toward repairs.
Summary: I researched this size and style of camera and found favorable reviews online. After 6 months of routine use the display wouldn't operate as the viewfinder or mode display. ...
Summary: I researched this size and style of camera and found favorable reviews online. After 6 months of routine use the display wouldn't operate as the viewfinder or mode display. I reviewed the warranty, 1 year, and found the return information. I mailed it to their repair center in McAllen, TX, indicating what the defect was. I received a letter in about 2 weeks indicating "we have found your unit is not covered by warranty" claiming it was dented on a corner. I had not dropped the camera nor was there any dented corner. I could pay $136.40 to receive a refurbed camera with a 90 day warranty when I originally spent $156.00 for the new one. Don't even ask me what I would think of their 90 warranty. Why not just state sold as is? I will have to pay for a NEW camera, but it won't be a Panasonic. My old Kodak may have been short on zoom, but they were LONG on customer service. Don't waste your money on this gamble; the deck is stacked in Panasonic's favor.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Happy with my new Panasonic
by Austin_Hutchison on June 28, 2010
Pros: 14 MP
8x Optical Zoom
Cons: Video Length Limit
Summary: After some shopping around I was led to the Panasonic DMC-FH20, and I haven?t been disappointed. This camera comes with several nice features, including the intelligent auto (iA) feature ...
Summary: After some shopping around I was led to the Panasonic DMC-FH20, and I haven?t been disappointed. This camera comes with several nice features, including the intelligent auto (iA) feature and the ability to record HD video.
It?s not the slimmest camera on the market, so if you?re looking for something that is going to fit in your skinny jeans you might want to look elsewhere. The button layout strikes a great balance between having an overwhelming amount of buttons and so few that navigation becomes cumbersome.
I?ve had a great experience becoming familiar with this camera. The user interface is very intuitive, and provides a variety of options. The iA feature provides good shots, as do the 25 different scene settings, and boasts an 8x optical zoom. You also have the option to shoot with three different aspect ratios: 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9.
The HD video was one of the reasons I decided on this particular camera. It records in 720p, or if you?re looking to conserve some space you can use the VGA and wide screen VGA modes. Note that you cannot adjust the zoom while taking a video. Check out the video to get a better idea of the video quality.
The video mode restricts the maximum length of any video you record. I have an 8 gig SDHC card (it supportds SD and SDXC as well), and while recording in HD I can only record about 8 1/2 minutes consecutively. Video also creates extremely large file sizes, a 5 minute video is going to run around 800 megabytes.
see a video demonstration of the HD recording at http://blog.austinhutchison.com
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
I really like this camera
by aaadawg11 on August 15, 2010
Pros: Easy to use, the Intelagent auto mode has a button right on top. Great pictures!! Fits in my pocket.
Cons: I would like it in a different color that just black or silver...
Summary: I love that the camera shoots video in HD, It's easy to use, pictures come out wonderful. There are lots of scene modes including a high speed burst witch ...
Summary: I love that the camera shoots video in HD, It's easy to use, pictures come out wonderful. There are lots of scene modes including a high speed burst witch is amazing for action shots, or anyone with kids that just cant stay still... u just hold down the shutter button and it keeps taking pictures till you let go... I really like this camera and would recommend it to anyone.
- Manufacturer: Panasonic
- Part number: DMC-FH20K
- Description: The 28mm wide-angle lens lets you easily capture large groups of people indoors or expansive architectural structures and scenes with dynamic width and rich perspective, even from short distances. The DMC-FH20 sports a powerful 8x optical zoom lens (35mm camera equivalent: 28-224mm). This gives you highly natural expressions from people and animals that you can't get close to. And its slim, compact, pocket-sized body can easily go wherever you do for both everyday snapshots and traveling. When you don't know which mode will give you the best shooting results, or when a sudden photo opportunity pops up and you don't have time to make any settings, simply choose iA (Intelligent Auto) mode by simply pressing the dedicated button and let the camera do it all for you. You just choose iA mode, aim at your subject, and shoot. 4 detection and correction functions are simultaneously activated to optimize the settings, so you get stunning photos every time. The DMC-FH20 can record motion images in high-definition (1,280 x 720 pixels at 30 fps in motion JPEG format). The pixel mixed readout method enables bright motion-image recording even in low-light settings. The DMC-FH20 can also record full-size motion images in WVGA (848 x 480 pixels at 30 fps) or standard motion images in VGA (640 x 480 pixels at 30 fps) and QVGA (320 x 240 pixels at 30 fps). The energy-saving Venus Engine IV image-processing engine and the efficient, rechargeable lithium-ion battery which has been slimmed down to fit into thinner camera bodies work together to extend the shooting time of the DMC-FH20. This lets users take approx. 300 shots on a single battery charge.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Enclosure Color Black
- Resolution 14.1 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CCD
- Total Pixels 14,500,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 14,100,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2.33"
- Optical Zoom 8 x
- Digital Zoom 4 x
- Image Stabilizer Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 9
- Digital Video Format QuickTime,
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- AV Interfaces Composite video/audio
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO auto (1600-6400),
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Candle,
- Special Effects Cool,
Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Daylight,
- Max Shutter Speed 1/1600 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 60 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Type 8 x x Zoom lens - 5 mm - 40 mm - F/3.3-5.9
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 28 - 224 mm
- Focus Adjustment Automatic
- Min Focus Range 19.7 in
- Macro Focus Range 2 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 7 groups / 9 elements
- Features Aspherical lens,
Built-in lens shield
- Camera Flash Built-in flash
- Flash Modes Fill-in mode,
Flash OFF mode,
- Features AF illuminator
- Effective Flash Range 2 ft - 19 ft
- Continuous Shooting Speed 4.6 frames per second (3MPix),
1.5 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Additional Features Digital image rotation,
In-camera red-eye removal,
Resizing an image,
Cropping an image,
Exif Print support,
720p HD movie recording,
RGB primary color filter,
Intelligent Scene Selector,
Camera orientation detection,
Built-in help guide,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Display Features Built-in
- Microphone Operation Mode Mono
- Connector Type 1 x USB,
1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x DC power input
- Software Panasonic PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0,
Drivers & Utilities
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Microsoft Certifications Compatible with Windows 7
- Included Accessories Battery charger,
Audio / video cable
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery - 740 mAh ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- RAM Installed 40 MB
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card,
SDXC Memory Card
- Image Storage JPEG 4320 x 3240,
JPEG 4320 x 2880,
JPEG 4320 x 2432,
JPEG 3648 x 2736,
JPEG 2560 x 1920,
JPEG 2048 x 1536,
JPEG 640 x 480
- Video Capture QuickTime - 1280 x 720,
QuickTime - 848 x 480,
QuickTime - 640 x 480,
QuickTime - 320 x 240
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 3.9 in
- Depth 1.1 in
- Height 2.2 in
- Weight 4.9 oz
Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)
Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)
Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)
Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)
Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)