Pentax K20D (Body Only)
Manufacturer: Pentax Part number: 19381
- Rebate amount: $0
Exp. date: 1/31/2013
$250 cash back by mail when purchased with an Epson Photo R2880 Printer (C11CA16201)! Products must appear on the same receipt/invoice
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 05/22/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $849.99
- Reviewed by: Phil Ryan
- Reviewed on: 05/28/2008
The good: Impressive performance, 14 megapixels at a relatively low price; weather sealed; nice control layout; wireless flash control.
The bad: Slightly inaccurate colors; shake reduction could be more effective.
The bottom line: Pentax's 14MP K20D is a great choice for a midlevel SLR and offers a lot of bang for the buck.
A Superb camera
by dcalvillo on June 4, 2008
Pros: Really high resolution, high detail and good image
Cons: A little bit bulky and slow compare with Canon
Summary: I know, Canon make an excellent cameras and Nikon is really good, but after having all those good cameras I find the detail in the K20D the best I ever ...
Summary: I know, Canon make an excellent cameras and Nikon is really good, but after having all those good cameras I find the detail in the K20D the best I ever seen. I´m not looking for speed, Canon is quite faster, instead I´m looking for highly detail images and the K20D is the one; I just love it.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
The K20D made me a better Photographer! Thanks Pentax!
by Jahomg on August 28, 2009
Pros: Offer excellent benefits to ALL experience levels Several cameras in one body
Stainless Steel and Alloy Chassis-Great fit in the hands
Weather seals Great Protection
Wide range of proprietary and 3rd party lenses
Everything in a thumbs reach
Cons: I would love to see the insides of the K7 -- mated to a full frame sensor in the K20D Body. I'm not complaining I'm just dreamin' -- I LOVE MYCAMERA!
I'm still getting used to all the features --
Summary: Today Sony announced the A500, A550 and the A850 and the K20D beat these models on price, features and sensor power. Granted the A850 is a 24M, Full Frame Pro ...
Summary: Today Sony announced the A500, A550 and the A850 and the K20D beat these models on price, features and sensor power. Granted the A850 is a 24M, Full Frame Pro model (1999.00 USD) and yet the K20D, a two year model, had more in common with the A850. To be fair the A550 was closer in senor size -- however the K20D still be it on price, features and power --- ok, ok may be I'm bias -- but check the review at dpreview.com. And just for kicks do a side-by-side comparison with K20D, K7, A850, A550, A500 -- the K20D and the K7 kick major A** on features and price. For example, the K7 - 1299.00 the A850 1999.00 (body Only) the K20D - 619.00 and the A550 and A500 - 1049.00 and 749.99 respectively-- Amazon.com check it out and happy picture taking!
PS. The Pentax K20D is making me a better photographer because:
1. I had money left in the budget to buy studio lights (beginner set) and I was able offer portraits to friends -- allowing me to further explorer one of my passions.
2. The K20D can be used in full automatic mode all the way to full manual mode with many modes in between. -- It like having several cameras in one body!
3. With the K20D -- I have been able to learn on the spot from my mistakes -- make corrections -- and still get a great shot in the moment -- the more I use the camera -- the better I get -- the more I remember! -- Now that can be said about any DSLR -- However- where else can you get a "mid-level" camera with lots of power and an awesome price!
4. Pentax has been leading the way with "In-body" shake reduction -- I have night shots hand holding the camera -- simply amazing!
5. Having a camera this forgiving has given me the confidence to shoot subjects that I would have stay away from with cameras that didn't offer the same features set and reputation.
6. The Pentax ik20D is an awesome camera and while it may be considered a mid-level camera-- It has demonstrated to me that is equally comfortable in a studio setting as it is taking family photos -- And to me that what counts -- A camera that will help me be a better photographer at my current skill level and lead the way as my skills improve.
Thank you Pentax
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Hard to beat for the money.
by topgun2009 on January 20, 2009
Pros: Shake reduction built into the camera.
Camera is backwards compatible with older lenses.
Great weather sealing and built very sturdy.
Controls are laid out well with good ergonomics.
Great selection of prime lenses to use.
Cons: Would like a little faster focusing system.
Could use some 400mm longer lenses in the Pentax lineup.
Needs more FPS if you are shooting sports photography.
Could use better focusing in low light situations.
Summary: I have used Pentax SLR's, both film and digital, for many years. The K20D is the first Pentax DSLR that I have been happy with and it can only ...
Summary: I have used Pentax SLR's, both film and digital, for many years. The K20D is the first Pentax DSLR that I have been happy with and it can only get better from here. Most of the Pentax lenses are top notch, particularly the "Star" and "Limited" lenses. With Pentax you get more bang for the buck, particularly since you don't have to pay a fortune extra for stabilized lenses as this function is built into the camera. This is a great camera for portraits, landscapes, and other types of photography. If you need to shoot in very low light situations or a lot of sports photography you probably need to look at other brands. I have done some sports with success but in situations where the 3 FPS was good enough to capture what I needed. Camera is great for everythng else.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Ruggedly functional: for those who love photography
by Fotofan4life on January 27, 2013
Pros: Functional with easy-to-use controls, easily operational with gloves. Excellent ergonomics, grippable texturized covering. Weather-sealed. Large optical viewfinder. Accepts ALL Pentax K and thread mount lenses. Excellent battery performance.
Cons: Awkward live video. Tedious menu hunting requiring numerous pages. Non-movable video screen. Somewhat dim optical viewfinder.
Summary: The K20D is a substantial, comfortable, quality digital camera body. It is a "photographer's camera," designed by those who know what is important when out in the field. The ...
Summary: The K20D is a substantial, comfortable, quality digital camera body. It is a "photographer's camera," designed by those who know what is important when out in the field. The controls fall into convenient locations in the hand. It provides a comfortable and secure grip. In contrast with some other camera manufacturers, Pentax retained lens compatibility for its pre-digital lens mounts, providing a natural appeal for film SLR owners like me. The K20D is functional, versatile and pleasing to use, permitting me to focus on the image creation rather than the device.
An outstanding work-horse of a camera.
Pros: Outstanding picture quality and so many adjustment features at your fingertips.
Cons: Wish the fps was a little faster.
Pentax made switching to digital a snap.
by couliseaux on April 9, 2010
Pros: Easy controls with lots of custom settings. High ISO. More bells and whistles than I'll likely ever learn to use.
Cons: Auto focus fumbles in low light. Maybe too many shooting modes.
Summary: I was reluctant to switch from 35mm, and shot with a Pentax PZ-20 for years. This camera was an easy upgrade, after I finally decided to make the leap to ...
Summary: I was reluctant to switch from 35mm, and shot with a Pentax PZ-20 for years. This camera was an easy upgrade, after I finally decided to make the leap to digital. I love the high ISO and get great results with lower sensitivities. Using any Pentax lens ever made is a huge plus, I still love my old manual focus. I use it mainly for fine art and portraiture, and have a hard time finding any real faults with it.
Best prosumer model available
by richwray on April 5, 2009
Pros: Uses any Pentax lens ever made; weather-proof constructions; wonderfully place controls; in-body shake reduction; great battery life.
Cons: Not the greatest burst rate in it's class.
Summary: Pentax makes some great lenses, there is no doubt about that. If you have any Pentax primes from previous days, getting a Pentax DSLR is a no brainer. If you ...
Summary: Pentax makes some great lenses, there is no doubt about that. If you have any Pentax primes from previous days, getting a Pentax DSLR is a no brainer. If you don't then the fact that this camera offers the best set of features for the price IMO for a 14 mega-pixel DSLR should attract you, plus being able to choose from a geat line of Pentax primes. The construction is obviously more sturdy that comparable Canon or NIkon models, you can tell just by holding them.
I am a brand new convert to digital and using this camera has been as easy as falling off a log.
by nwlocalexposure on June 30, 2008
Pros: The controls are intuitive and the buttons are placed well for tactical (as opposed to visual) reach and ergonomics.
Cons: I haven't found any yet, other than a numb thumb after shooting a wedding.
- Manufacturer: Pentax
- Part number: 19381
- Description: The Pentax K20D digital SLR offers advanced photo enthusiasts an array of exciting Pentax innovations. The CMOS image sensor brings out optimum performance of Pentax interchangeable lenses. Featuring 14.6 effective megapixels (highest in its class) and noise-reduction technology, the sensor assures superb image quality. This SLR will make you feel in control with its Live View function that allows the photographer to see the image on the camera's back panel LCD monitor while shooting. Customizable features ideal for shooters who demand complete control include the Expanded Dynamic Range function that allows users to gain more contrast / detail in bright settings and a Custom Image function to select / adjust finishing touches to an image. An improved Dust Reduction system features prevention, removal and alerting devices. Combine these innovations with the renowned Pentax-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system, Pentax Real IMage Engine (PRIME) and incorporate them in a dependable dust-proof, weather-resistant body - you've now got a superb camera that allow photographers to shoot anytime, anywhere, even in dusty or rainy environments.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - SLR with Live View mode
- Resolution 14.6 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type CMOS
- Total Pixels 15,070,000 pixels
- Effective Sensor Resolution 14,600,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 15.6 x 23.4mm
- Sensor Dust Reduction Yes
- Sensor Features Special Protect (SP) coating,
Dust Reduction (image sensor vibration)
- Image Processor PRIME
- Image Stabilizer Optical (image sensor shift mechanism)
- Auto Focus TTL phase detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 11
- Image Recording Format JPEG,
RAW + JPEG,
- AV Interfaces Composite video/audio
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 6400,
- Exposure Metering Multi-segment,
- Exposure Metering Zones 16
- Exposure Modes Shutter & aperture priority,
- Special Effects Color Extract,
Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Daylight,
Fluorescent light (daylight),
Fluorescent light (warm white),
Fluorescent light (cool white),
- Max Shutter Speed 1/4000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 30 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±3 EV in 1/2 EV steps or ±2 EV in 1/3 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Bracketing 5 steps in 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps
- X-sync Speed 1/180 sec
- Exposure Range EV 0-21 ( ISO 100 )
- Lens System Mounting Pentax KAF2
- Camera Flash Pop-up flash
- Guide Number (m / ISO 100) 13
- Flash Modes P-TTL,
FP flash (high-speed synchro),
Flash OFF mode,
- Features Flash +/- compensation,
- Continuous Shooting Speed 3 frames per second,
21 frames per second (1.6Mpix),
2.3 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Flash Terminal PC terminal,
- Additional Features Digital image rotation,
Display brightness control,
Depth-of-field preview button,
PRINT Image Matching,
In-camera RAW processing,
RGB primary color filter,
Digital noise reduction,
Highlight point display,
LCD live view mode,
Interval shooting mode,
Shadow point display,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
- Viewfinder Type Optical - Fixed eye-level pentaprism
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Field Coverage 95%
- Magnification 0.95x
- Dioptric Correction Range -2.5 to +1.5
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Resolution 230,000 pixels
- Display Features Built-in
- Connector Type 1 x USB,
1 x Composite video output,
1 x DC power input
- Software Drivers & Utilities
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows XP,
Apple Mac OS X 10.2 or later,
MS Windows Vista
- Peripheral Devices USB port
- Microsoft Certifications Certified for Windows Vista
- Included Accessories Battery charger,
- Body Material Stainless steel,
- Protection Dust resistant,
- Supported Battery Pentax D-Li50
- Supported Battery 1 x Pentax D-Li50 Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SDHC Memory Card,
SD Memory Card
- Internal Storage None
- Image Storage RAW 4672 x 3104 : 40 VA - With 1GB card,
Super-fine JPEG 4672 x 3104 : 68 VA - With 1GB card,
Fine JPEG 4672 x 3104 : 117 VA - With 1GB card,
Normal JPEG 4672 x 3104 : 212 VA - With 1GB card,
Economy JPEG 4672 x 3104 : 411 VA - With 1GB card,
Super-fine JPEG 3872 x 2592 : 101 VA - With 1GB card,
Fine JPEG 3872 x 2592 : 168 VA - With 1GB card,
Normal JPEG 3872 x 2592 : 296 VA - With 1GB card,
Economy JPEG 3872 x 2592 : 616 VA - With 1GB card,
Super-fine JPEG 3008 x 2000 : 176 VA - With 1GB card,
Fine JPEG 3008 x 2000 : 285 VA - With 1GB card,
Normal JPEG 3008 x 2000 : 491 VA - With 1GB card,
Economy JPEG 3008 x 2000 : 915 VA - With 1GB card,
Super-fine JPEG 1824 x 1216 : 461 VA - With 1GB card,
Fine JPEG 1824 x 1216 : 737 VA - With 1GB card,
Normal JPEG 1824 x 1216 : 1233 VA - With 1GB card,
Economy JPEG 1824 x 1216 : 2238 VA - With 1GB card
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 5.6 in
- Depth 2.8 in
- Height 4 in
- Weight 1.6 lbs
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F