Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H2
Manufacturer: Sony Part number: DSCH2
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/19/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $34.99
- Reviewed by: Phil Ryan
- Edited by: Lori Grunin
- Reviewed on: 05/05/2006
The good: 12X zoom; image stabilization; decent selection of accessories.
The bad: Small LCD; large body; lots of noise at ISO 800 and above; no hotshoe.
The bottom line: The megazoom Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H2's long, image-stabilized lens should have the soccer moms drooling--as long as they stick to the lower ISO speeds.
One great camera
by mch017 on March 16, 2007
Pros: Excellent picture quality and zoom
Cons: Image stabilization doesn't work that great
Summary: I bought this camera for $299 at Walmart so that we could take a lot of good pictures of our wedding/honeymoon in Jamaica. The camera was able to take ...
Summary: I bought this camera for $299 at Walmart so that we could take a lot of good pictures of our wedding/honeymoon in Jamaica. The camera was able to take fantastic shots in all lighting levels. Its nice being able to take pictures in incadescent lighting and not have pictures with heavy red tints. I only wish that the image stabilization would work a bit better.
by albleroy on March 14, 2007
Pros: very good colour
Cons: no possibility to ad comments on photo
Summary: Is my best camera for macro photo !!! only one contra , is not possible to ad sound comments on my pics during my field trips !!! am obliged to make every time ...
Summary: Is my best camera for macro photo !!! only one contra , is not possible to ad sound comments on my pics during my field trips !!! am obliged to make every time a small video strip!!
The Pefect Camera for me!
by chocolate_varun on January 2, 2007
Pros: Value for the cost, Image Quality, Zoom, Style, Ease of use, Battery life
Cons: Capturing motion objects, size (if you need sleek & small), LCD size
Summary: Hi Everyone,
This is the best camera that I have come across.
I would rate it 9.2 out of 10. The 12x Zoom in this camera works so well ...
Summary: Hi Everyone,
This is the best camera that I have come across.
I would rate it 9.2 out of 10. The 12x Zoom in this camera works so well and I'm amazed to see the zooming capability of this camera. The pictures taken in this camera are really awesome. The clarity & the image qualty is too good in the camera.
Regarding the cons, like any other Sony camera, sometimes it takes little time to get the click of the photograph especially when you try to capture any moving objects and also the LCD is little small.
Also, go for this camera only if you do not have any objections on the size of the camera. Few people like only very sleek cameras that fit a pocket. if you are in search of such cameras then this is not the one that you are looking for. I'm least concerned about the camera size, so this is not a problem for me. I have a perfect camera accessory bag and other accessories needed.
But, this camera is worth investing if you really have a passion for good photography. Go for it!
A decent advanced amateur camera for regular use.
by toot343 on December 25, 2006
Pros: 12x zoom, good quality images, strong flash, super steady shot, D-SLR feel.
Cons: weak low light focus at times, Noisy images 800ISO and up.
Summary: The Sony DSC H2 is a great camera for photography enthusiasts who would like to step up form a basic point and shoot camera. The menu dial on the top ...
Summary: The Sony DSC H2 is a great camera for photography enthusiasts who would like to step up form a basic point and shoot camera. The menu dial on the top of the camera has many manual modes such as shutter priority, and aperature priority for superior control over pictures. The Super Steadyshot provides an effective way of producing clear, sharp images. Image quality is usually good, although shooting in low light situations without the flash sometimes produces noisy images, and is occasionally out of focus.
The camera body of the DSC H2 has a DSLR feel and is fairly easy to hold. Using only the lens adapter but not the hood provides an easy way to support the camera when using the zoom. The body has a good feel, but scratches somewhat easily.
All in all, I've had this camera for 3 days and have already taken hundreds of photos. Lastly, some people have been complaining about the camera not being able to use Sandisk memory cards. The Sony support site provides a firmware update to correct this issue.
by Daniel Ouellette on November 11, 2006
Pros: Very Easy to use!!! Excellent picture!!!
Cons: I have no Complaints!!!!
Summary: This is my second digital camera, and my second "Sony" digital camera. I had always owned Canon products, and although still excellent products, I tried comparable cameras and fell in ...
Summary: This is my second digital camera, and my second "Sony" digital camera. I had always owned Canon products, and although still excellent products, I tried comparable cameras and fell in love with this one! I am remodeling my home and take pictures of everything I do. This camera can handle everything I want it to do! I recommend it to friends and enemies!
Decent Camera! Not brilliant, Not Poor!
by moni4pumi on October 14, 2006
Pros: 12x zoom, Feature set for price, Carl Zeiss Lens
Cons: Image quality above ISO 200, battery consumption
Summary: As the review says, the noise beyond ISO 200 is unacceptable. To get a decent shot I had to resort to lower shutter speeds. Since taking a tripod is not ...
Summary: As the review says, the noise beyond ISO 200 is unacceptable. To get a decent shot I had to resort to lower shutter speeds. Since taking a tripod is not a feasible option everywhere, you might miss that all too important shot.
Otherwise, the camera is ok. The zoom certainly helps. If possible buy the Canon S2 IS or S3 IS. A better choice for sure.
Awesome Camera! Read the reviews
by blueshade68 on October 6, 2006
Pros: Too Many to list!
Cons: The few bitter reviewers out there
Summary: This an outstanding camera at a really great price. Its sad that three people have one bad experience, which I am sorry to say will happen to anyone buying any ...
Summary: This an outstanding camera at a really great price. Its sad that three people have one bad experience, which I am sorry to say will happen to anyone buying any electronic item. Read the user comments on any camera of your choice and you will see the same.
I have had many sony products and I cant honestly think of any that have been below my expectations. So to these people I say forgive and forget. Just because you have one bad camera does not mean that you have to make it into a vendetta against said camera.
This is why they offer extended warranties, I bet you were offered this and declined, so the choice was yours not to use the optional warranty thus you left yourself open to this happening.
Now back to the camera, my advise is simple. Perfom a search for DSC-h2 Review and read all of the user reviews. I would say that 90% of these are very favorable.
This is a great camera at a great price, and you deserve the right to decide for yourselves which camera is best for you.
Excellent near DSLR camera at modest cost
by rsmithabi on September 2, 2006
Pros: Great stabilized 12x zoom lense, excellent photos from both auto and manual settings, strong flash, sharp focus, positive ergonomics
Cons: Flash recharge somewhat slower than desired, included battery recharger very slow
Summary: This is an outstanding camera in almost all respects. I have owned it for about two months and used it in a variety of settings. At the time of purchase ...
Summary: This is an outstanding camera in almost all respects. I have owned it for about two months and used it in a variety of settings. At the time of purchase I had read all of the reviews I could find and compared it with several other leading contenders, including the Sony DSC-H5 and the Canon S2 IS & S3 IS, and concluded that it was preferable to others of similar type and price range.
While I liked the larger screen and extra megapixal of the H5, there seemed to be little discernable difference in the quality of the images produced, and I concluded that the additional $100 required for the H5 would not be a wise expenditure. I thought this camera felt more natural in my hands and was easier to use in actual picture taking than the Canons, although both were very good cameras.
My expections have been validated by actual use. The Zeiss lens is outstanding. I have produced strikingly excellent images at a variety of ranges using the optical zoom (I avoid using digital zoom). Also, the 12x zoom can become a 16x optical Zoom when used at a lower megapixal setting. I use the 2.0 inch LSD screen only for quick reviews of the shots taken which are then edited using Photoshop Elements 4.0. The small, but sharp, EVF (electronic view finder) is excellent, and I use it (rather than the screen) to compose the shots and even to check the focus, although the screen is actually better at checking focus. However, the auto focus works very well and produces excellent results.
I have encountered no operational problems so far and therefore have had no experience with Sony's customer service. This camera came with a later version of the software and has had no difficulty with my non-Sony Memory Stick DUO card. I don't use the video capabilities. The stabilized long zoom reduces significantly the need for high ISO settings, and I have not found it necessary to use ISO 800 or 1000 at all, and ISO 400 only rarely. Changing the default settings is not difficult or confusing, and individual preferences are easily set. In short, this has proven to be an outstanding camera for a wide variety of uses at an affordable price.
by im4ncsu on August 11, 2006
Pros: Very clear pictures/excellent zoom
Cons: little bit heavy
Summary: I am very pleased with the performance of this digital camera. Captures pictures very naturally. Excellent clarity..easy to handle.Could have been little bit lighter..Bought this at dell....
Summary: I am very pleased with the performance of this digital camera. Captures pictures very naturally. Excellent clarity..easy to handle.Could have been little bit lighter..Bought this at dell.com for $319.
Perfect mid-level digital camera.
by typobox on July 18, 2006
Pros: amazing picture quality, not too large, great focus, large zoom, easy to use and handle
Cons: would prefer usb plug on other side
Summary: After purchasing the H2 getting to know it, I've decided it really can be the perfect camera for anyone. If you're trying to decide between this and the ...
Summary: After purchasing the H2 getting to know it, I've decided it really can be the perfect camera for anyone. If you're trying to decide between this and the H5, the only differences are the larger screen and one more megapixel on the H5. I say there's no need to dish out another $100 when 6 MP are good enough, and this LCD offers great clarity, anyway.
- Manufacturer: Sony
- Part number: DSCH2
- Description: Long Distance or Low Light -- Sony Makes It Easy. With top-quality Carl Zeiss® 12X Optical zoom lens and Super SteadyShot® Optical Image Stabilization, the Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-H2 captures sharp, steady shots even at full 12X zoom. High Sensitivity Mode (ISO 1000) and Clear RAW™ NR let you shoot natural-looking photos in low light without flash, and 6.0 megapixels provide more detail for cropping or big prints. A 2.0"1 LCD screen with Function Guide text/icon display makes it easy learn to adjust color, sensitivity, brightness, and image size for great results. 32 MB2 Internal Memory allows capturing images in-camera.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital camera - Compact
- Point-and-shoot highlights Video capture ability adds convenience for the user.
- Enclosure Color Silver
- Resolution 6 megapixels
- Optical Sensor Type Super HAD CCD
- Effective Sensor Resolution 6,000,000 pixels
- Optical Sensor Size 1/2.5"
- Optical Zoom 12 x
- Digital Zoom 2 x
- Image Stabilizer Optical (Super Steady Shot)
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Auto Focus Points (Zones) Qty 3
- Digital Video Format MPEG VX
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- AV Interfaces Composite video
Exposure & White Balance
- Light Sensitivity ISO 1000,
- Exposure Metering Multi-segment,
- Exposure Metering Zones 49
- Exposure Modes Program,
- Shooting Programs Beach,
- Special Effects Black & White,
- White Balance Automatic,
- White Balance Presets Fluorescent,
- Max Shutter Speed 1/2000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed 30 sec
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Bracketing 2 steps in 1/3 EV step
- Type Carl Zeiss 12 x x Zoom lens - 6 mm - 72 mm - F/2.8-3.7
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 36 - 432 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Min Focus Range 19.7 in
- Macro Focus Range 0.8 in
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Lens Construction 9 groups / 11 elements
- Filter Size 58 mm
- Features Aspherical lens,
- Camera Flash Pop-up flash
- Flash Modes Slow synchro,
Flash OFF mode,
- Effective Flash Range 1 ft - 30 ft
- Continuous Shooting Speed 1.3 frames per second
- Self Timer Delay 2 sec,
- Additional Features Digital image rotation,
Display brightness control,
RGB primary color filter,
PRINT Image Matching,
Auto power save,
Digital noise reduction,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
- Viewfinder Type Electronic
- Viewfinder Color Support Color
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size 0.2 in
- Viewfinder Resolution 201,000 pixels
- Type 2 in LCD display
- Resolution 85,000 pixels
- Display Features Built-in
- Connector Type 1 x Composite video/audio output,
1 x USB
- Software Drivers & Utilities
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows ME,
MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000,
Apple Mac OS 9.1,
Apple Mac OS X,
Apple Mac OS 9.2
- Peripheral Devices USB port,
- Included Accessories Lens cap,
Lens adapter ring,
Audio / video cable
- Supported Battery AA
- Supported Battery 2 x AA NiMH rechargeable battery - 2100 mAh ( Included )
Memory / Storage
- Memory Card Slot Memory Stick PRO Duo card
- Supported Memory Cards Memory Stick Duo,
Memory Stick PRO Duo
- Internal Storage 32 MB Flash
- Included Memory Card 32 MB
- Image Storage Standard JPEG 2592 x 1944,
Fine 2592 x 1728,
2048 x 1536,
1280 x 960,
640 x 480
- Video Capture MPEG - 640 x 480,
MPEG - 640 x 480,
MPEG - 160 x 112
- Service & Support 1 year parts and labor warranty
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 4.4 in
- Depth 3.7 in
- Height 3.3 in
- Weight 0.9 lbs
- Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom. This camera utilizes built-in Super SteadyShot stabilization to assist in taking sharper pictures.
CNET Labs' Benchmarks
- Labs information All values are expressed in seconds. Please visit our <ref type="link" url="http://reviews.cnet.com/Labs/4520-6603 7-1014358-1.html">labs information page</ref> for information on how digital cameras are tested.
- CNET Labs Flash shot to shot time 1.5
- CNET Labs Shot to shot time typical 1.5
- CNET Labs Shutter lag bright 0.4
- CNET Labs Shutter lag dim 1.6
- CNET Labs Typical burst speed 1.5
- CNET Labs Wake up time 2.6