Amazon Kindle DX (white)
Manufacturer: Amazon Part number: D00801
- Bottom Line:
- Although it has all the positive attributes typically associated with a Kindle device, the arrival of Apple's iPad seriously affects the Kindle DX's viability unless Amazon lowers its price by at least $100.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 03/08/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $199.00
- Reviewed by: David Carnoy
- Edited by: John Falcone
- Reviewed on: 02/23/2010
The good: The Kindle DX's wireless connection now works overseas; offers 2.5 times the screen real estate as the smaller Kindle; native PDF support; you can switch from portrait to landscape mode by just turning the device; large library of tens of thousands of e-books, newspapers, magazines, and blogs via Amazon's familiar online store; built-in free wireless "Whispernet" data network--no PC needed; built-in keyboard for notes; faster processor speeds up the device; with 4GB (3.3 usable) of internal memory, it's capable of storing 3,500 electronic books; font size is adjustable; decent battery life; displays image files, and plays MP3 and AAC audio.
The bad: Expensive; no Wi-Fi; somewhat heavy compared to the Kindle 2; no expansion slot for adding more memory; no protective carrying case included; battery is sealed into the device and isn't removable; isn't compatible with loaner e-books from your local library that use the ePub format; if you're using the wireless service overseas, you're charged extra fees for downloading full books and periodicals; Apple's iPad offers far more functionality at nearly the same price.
The bottom line: Although it has all the positive attributes typically associated with a Kindle device, the arrival of Apple's iPad seriously affects the Kindle DX's viability unless Amazon lowers its price by at least $100.
DX failed; $1K in content, must buy new DX to access.
by kcb2013 on September 4, 2013
Pros: Quick downloads of newspapers
Cons: Reliability is bad; see Amazon's site for negative comments on how often they fail. Amazon blames customers. Customer service stinks. Spent $1K+ on content in < a year, and they want me to spend another $200 to get a refurbished DX that works.
Summary: Look elsewhere; they don't deserve your business.
Summary: Look elsewhere; they don't deserve your business.
I ordered KindleDX from Germany,returned it immediately
by ozzy_munich on January 26, 2011
Pros: Screen size,
Cons: No Wi-fi (Only 3G is available)
In Germany 3G is not available, though they have a coverage map and Germany is included, but internet does not work, only whispernet works. Even if you would like to pay for internet, it is not possible.
Summary: Kindle DX, the experience has been disastrous so far. Amazon needs to do two things immediately, that's off course if they want to be successful with this product in ...
Summary: Kindle DX, the experience has been disastrous so far. Amazon needs to do two things immediately, that's off course if they want to be successful with this product in Europe as well:
1. Start re-designing Kindle DX Mark II to include Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is a feature included in their smaller models and I believe it should also be included in the DX model. If Wi-Fi was a feature in the Kindle DX, it would at least be possible for me to connect to internet in hot spots or at home without 3G. I am quite puzzled why Wi-Fi is not included in DX but in smaller models. I believe (strongly), people who buy DX are more likely to use it for internet content as well as reading books, whereas smaller models are more suited for reading books.
2. Start looking at their options and investigate how they can provide 3G internet service to customers in Europe (Germany in particular), free or with additional costs, a service currently provided to US customers free of charge and/or at least be able to tell your customers where they need to go to have the restrictions on internet connection removed, and how much they have to pay for this. And give this information to the customer (explicitly) before they purchase the product. My message to Amazon: "You should not discriminate against your customers, because they happened to be somewhere else in the world but not in the US."
After my initial review of Kindle, Amazon customer service contacted me to solve the connection problem I am having. I talked to someone at Amazon and they said 3G service is available in Germany and they were quite surprised that I was receiving the following message when I tried to log on to www.amazon.com (Not Kindle Store): "Due to local restrictions, web service is not available for all countries."
Amazon service centre employee tried to re-set my Kindle remotely couple of times, and the web service did not work. She then consulted with her superiors and told me that web connection is not something they have control over, these restrictions are applied by AT&T and I need to talk to them. While I was talking to her, I checked it online and I could not even find AT&T in Germany, I told her this and then she mentioned Vodafone. But I really did not understand what she was trying to tell me. All I wanted to find out was who I need to talk to have these restrictions removed. I don't think she could give me a straight answer, because she did not even know that these restrictions were there in the first place. I have been speaking to number of customer service representative's last couple of days, and I don't think any of them actually know why these restrictions are in place in Germany and what the customer needs to do if they want to use internet on their Kindle.
In the end they said that it is not possible for me to use the internet on Kindle DX in Germany. But they said that I could still buy books from Amazon Kindle Store.
I have decided to return the product, and they said that they would give me a full refund. So I am quite disappointed that I cannot use the Kindle DX, because I really liked this product especially the screen size and the image quality though I did not like the weight, I think it is a bit heavy to hold it in your hand, you certaily feel the weight after 10 minutes.
- Manufacturer: Amazon
- Part number: D00801
- Description: Kindle DX is as thin as most magazines. Just over a third of an inch in profile, you'll find Kindle DX fits perfectly in your hands. Kindle DX's large display is ideal for a broad range of reading material, including graphic-rich books, PDFs, newspapers, magazines, and blogs. Kindle DX's display is two and a half times the size of the Kindle display. Whether you're reading the latest bestseller or a financial report, text and images are amazingly sharp on the 9.7" screen. Kindle DX is completely wireless and ready to use right out of the box - no setup, no cables, no computer required. Kindle DX supports wall charging via the included Kindle DX power adapter, and charging from your computer via the included USB 2.0 cable. Kindle DX fully charges in approximately 4 hours. Kindle DX's screen reflects light like ordinary paper and uses no backlighting, eliminating the glare associated with other electronic displays. As a result, Kindle DX can be read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room. Kindle DX can read to you. With its text-to-speech feature, Kindle DX can read books, blogs, magazines, and newspapers out loud to you, unless the book's rights holder made the feature unavailable. You can switch back and forth between reading and listening, and your spot is automatically saved. Pages automatically turn while the content is being read, so you can listen hands-free. You can speed up or slow down the reading speeds or choose a male or female voice.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type eBook reader
- Dimensions (W x D x H) 7.2 in x 0.4 in x 10.4 in
- Weight 1.2 lbs
- Type 9.7 in Monochrome E Ink
- Display Resolution 1200 x 824
- Display type 9.7 in E Ink
- Color Depth 4-bit (16 gray levels)
- Max resolution 1200 x 824
- Total User Available Memory 3.3 GB
- Cellular Technology 3G
- Cellular Protocols HSDPA
- Supported Text Formats HTML ,
PRC (Mobipocket) ,
- Supported Still Image Formats PNG,
- Features 3G wireless
- GPS Navigation None
- Audio Speaker
- Supported Digital Audio Formats MP3
- Type QWERTY keyboard
- Recharge Time 4 hour(s)
- Power supply device Power adapter
Expansion and Connectivity
- Interfaces 1 x USB 2.0,
1 x Headphones
- Included Accessories Power adapter
- Cables Included 1 x USB cable
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 7.2 in
- Depth 0.4 in
- Height 10.4 in
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year