Sony Reader Digital Book PRS-505 (red)
Manufacturer: Sony Part number: PRS-505/RC
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/06/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $259.00
- Reviewed by: David Carnoy
- Edited by: John Falcone
- Reviewed on: 11/14/2007
The good: Electronic book that can hold thousands of titles; excellent high-contrast screen rivals that of printed page and is easy to read in bright environments; some design and performance improvements versus first-gen model; 128MB internal memory, with more available via SD and Memory Stick Pro expansion slots; font size adjusts at the touch of a button; good battery life; also displays PDF and Word files, and plays MP3 files.
The bad: Downloadable titles are expensive and only available through Sony's online store; AC adapter is an optional accessory (you charge the PRS-505 by connecting the included USB cable to your computer); desktop software isn't available for Mac owners; PDF files are hard to read because they're reduced to fit the screen and you can't magnify (zoom) them; though diminished, some lag issues remain when flipping pages; no support for Audible audio books.
The bottom line: While the PRS-505 Reader Digital Book is not without flaws, Sony's improvements make this model easier to recommend.
by wimedtypr on January 8, 2011
Pros: Sturdy jacket hold it like a paper book yet so thin. The device itself is study. Battery lasts a long time for reading. Quick charge battery USB or wall charge. Love Ebook store, Google Books, public library books. Easy on eyes. Love the color
Cons: Earlier version so no built in dictionary.
Summary: I just like the sturdiness of it, no flimsy plastic here, sturdy jacket and device. Holds many books. Easy quck battery charge, I use a wall unit adapter. Battery life ...
Summary: I just like the sturdiness of it, no flimsy plastic here, sturdy jacket and device. Holds many books. Easy quck battery charge, I use a wall unit adapter. Battery life is long. Very thin. Sony Ebook store is great. Sony service is great. Easy to buy books or Sony book cards. Great prices on books.
The Sony PRS-505 gets the job done with no distractions
by alloycowboy on December 5, 2009
Pros: The PRS-505 is simple and easy to use with a 6" display and two flash memory slots which can greatly expand its memory. The non touch screen means no annoying finger print smudges on the screen to interfere with your reading.
Cons: While the PRS-505 lacks wifi connectivity and limited 250 MB of internal memory are definite draw backs, its ability to access and read Google?s massive library of classic books and magazines more then makes up for its short comings.
Summary: Sony?s PRS-505 ebook reader has a full six inch display (measured diagonally) which is the smallest display I would recommend. Displays smaller then six inches are just annoying as ...
Summary: Sony?s PRS-505 ebook reader has a full six inch display (measured diagonally) which is the smallest display I would recommend. Displays smaller then six inches are just annoying as the page flips become to frequent and slow down reading flow. I would also recommend against e-readers with touch screens as I find lint, greasy finger prints, and scratch can be very distracting to reading. The PRS-505 also has a head phone jack so you can listen to soothing MP3?s as you read along. On board memory is small at 250 MB but since ebooks don?t take up nearly the same space as MP3?s it will be adequate for most people. For those who feel the need the to take the Library of Congress with them, there are two flash memory slots one for Sony?s memory stick and one for SD memory. Over I like the Sony PRS-505 and have found it reliable and easy to use.
fun to read books again
by mightymini on March 2, 2009
Pros: sleek design, good construction of body, color, expansion slots
Cons: sony's reader library software, their bookstore,
Summary: it's a sleek reader that everyone notices. it's clean screen, thought out button placement is nice. books loading from the expansion card is slow but not painful. the ...
Summary: it's a sleek reader that everyone notices. it's clean screen, thought out button placement is nice. books loading from the expansion card is slow but not painful. the sony bookstore is only accessible by the software in purchases and it says it's by borders, you can't tell them to make a book available for ereader like amazon does. although the absence of whispernet download is a bummer, it is not a deterant for a better reader than the kindles.
- Manufacturer: Sony
- Part number: PRS-505/RC
- Description: The Reader Digital Book holds about 160 eBooks or hundreds more with optional removable memory cards. Its portable size makes it the perfect travel companion, allowing you to read a variety of books whenever and wherever you want. With thousands of eBook titles available from the Reader Store, you can choose to download new releases, classics and popular book titles as well as view other document formats such as Adobe PDF , RTF, TXT, BBeB and Microsoft Word . Its long battery life lasts up to 7,500 continuous page turns , and the amazing paper-like screen technology is easy on the eyes.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type eBook reader
- Operating System Sony Reader Software
- Dimensions (W x D x H) 4.8 in x 0.3 in x 6.9 in
- Weight 9 oz
- Color Sangria red
- Packaged contents Carrying case
- Slot provided type [Dec 3, 2010 from CDS: Slot Provided] SD Memory Card,
Memory Stick PRO Duo
- Type 6 in Monochrome E Ink
- Display type 6 in E Ink
- Color Depth 3-bit (8 gray levels)
- Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card,
Memory Stick Duo
Operating System / Software
- OS provided Sony Reader Software
- OS Required Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005,
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004,
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,
Microsoft Windows XP Professional,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium,
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition,
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate,
Microsoft Windows Vista Business,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic,
Microsoft Windows XP,
Microsoft Windows Vista
- Supported Text Formats PDF ,
- Supported Still Image Formats PNG,
- Features Expandable memory
- GPS Navigation None
- Supported Digital Audio Formats AAC ,
- Battery installed (max) Lithium ion
- Recharge Time 4 hour(s)
Expansion and Connectivity
- Expansion Slot(s) 1 x SD Memory Card,
1 x Memory Stick PRO Duo
- Interfaces 1 x USB
System Requirements for PC Connection
- System Requirements Details Celeron - 800 MHz - RAM 128 MB - HDD 20 MB
- Technology / Form Factor Lithium ion
- Battery Life (pages) 7500 pages
- Included Accessories Carrying case
- Cables Included 1 x USB cable
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 4.8 in
- Depth 0.3 in
- Height 6.9 in
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Labor - 90 days,
Limited warranty - Parts - 1 year