Manufacturer: Samsung Part number: PN51F8500
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/30/2014
|Your Trusted Source since 1983|| || In stock |
Free Shipping. Ships same day.
as of 07/30/2014
|"Your customer service is the best I have ever encountered'|| || In stock |
Free delivery on all TVs
as of 07/30/2014
|Winner of Bizrate Circle of Excellence Award 2005-06-07-08!!!|| || In stock || |
as of 07/30/2014
| || In stock || |
as of 07/30/2014
| || In stock || |
as of 07/30/2014
|Best Buy|| || In stock || |
as of 07/30/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $1,797.99 - $2,199.99
- Reviewed by: David Katzmaier
- Reviewed on: 05/01/2013
- Updated on:06/04/2013
The good: The Samsung PNF8500 series exhibits outstanding picture quality with a class-leading bright-room image, exceedingly deep black levels, very good shadow detail, highly accurate colors and superb off-angle and uniformity characteristics; mind-boggling feature list with touch-pad remote, IR blaster with cable box control, four pairs of 3D glasses, motion and voice command, and the industry's most capable Smart TV platform; unique styling with full-width ribbon stand and slim-bezel metallic finish.
The bad: Extremely expensive; correct film cadence requires sacrificing some black level; remote lacks numerous direct commands; imperfect cable box control; consumes more power than LCD TVs.
The bottom line: Samsung's best-performing TV ever, the PNF8500 series pushes the plasma picture quality envelope, especially in bright rooms.
Samsung Outperformed Themselves!
by Donald_Bower on December 25, 2013
Pros: Refresh rate
Built In Camera
Cons: Remote control
Summary: Usually over time you see TV's pricing dropping... month after month. It is very rare when a price stay solid for long time or even goes up. This is ...
Summary: Usually over time you see TV's pricing dropping... month after month. It is very rare when a price stay solid for long time or even goes up. This is the case with the SAMSUNG PNF8500. Samsung simply outperformed themselves with this amazing panel. Its price stay steady for 6 months now and there are many reasons why...
Just to clarify I own an AV integration company and we sell and install audio and video equipment for smart homes and home theater.
Here are several factors that make this panel outstanding compared to other panels. some are generic to Plasma technology and some are specific to this panel:
1. Refresh rate - Unlike LCD/LED panels that offers 120Hz refresh rate, Plasma TV's offers 600Hz which is 5 times compared to LCD/LED. without getting too much into technical details, what this means to you is that high motion images such as sports and action movies looks much smoother on Plasma then on LCD/LED
2. Lifelike Colors - It is known that LCD/LED panels shows more saturated and vibrant colors. But ask yourself, is that how the world around you really looks like? When you watch a movie or a TV show, you want the skin tone of a person on the screen to look as close to real life as possible.
3. Contrast Ratio - Contrast ratio, or the ratio between the darkest part of the image and the brightest, is one of the most important factors in overall picture quality. A display with a high contrast ratio is going to seem more realistic, and have more virtual "depth".
4. Black Levels - This is related to contrast ratio. Although LED panels can offer absolute black, overall Plasma panels would offer darker image where dark scene is viewed, creating a more realistic image.
5. Viewing Angle - LCD/LED panels lose picture quality when viewed "off axis," as in not directly in front of the screen.
6. Brightness - Up until this model, Plasma panels were darker and recommended to be installed in a darker room. however this Samsung panel brings new dynamic brightness which align this panel with the brightness seen on LED panels.
7. Web Apps - with the growing trend in streaming content over the internet, more and more consumers are looking to be able to stream content from sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, You Tube etc. Samsung as proven to lead the industry with their app rich Smart Hub. They offer tens of apps and continue to constantly adding new apps and content resources through frequent updates. Their user interface is extremely user friendly and easy to operate.
8. Connectivity - This panel supports HDMI V1.4 which means you can control other devices that are connected to this panel using the smart remote control shipped with the TV. HDMI specifications provide special channels for 2-way communication between devices that are HDMI 1.4 certified hence the ability to control them with one remote. for the fairness this function is slightly buggy as it is in its first stages but it is a nice feature to have.
9. Built In Camera - This panel comes with built-in video camera allowing you to use Skype and other social apps as well as you can control the TV using gesture commands. Gesture commands is a new technology which interpret the movement of your hands to control the system. for example you can swap your hand in the air from left to right and it will swap the screen to the right or scroll the apps to the right if you are on the Smar Hub screen. If you played with XBOX Kinnect, this is similar technology.
Just keep in mind, if you are planing to mount the TV on the wall, you want it to be low enough so the camera can capture you while sitting on the couch.
10. Voice Activation - In addition to the gesture technology, you can operate the TV via voice commands. While this seem like a very cool feature that actually works, I know many people choose to turn it off.
11. Streaming - Streaming from Netflix and other HD services works fine and smoothly if you have good internet connection. The TV has enough buffer that you can watch an entire XHD movie from VUDU without stops or bumps.
There is no such thing as perfect device and this panel has it's own little quirks that may or may not be a deal breaker:
1. Remote control - Samsung tried to be a bit smarter by replacing the traditional hard buttons with a touch surface that acts as a mouse. While this is pretty bold approach, I find it somewhat limiting as you need to make some extra clicks to get the rest of the options.
2. HDMI Implementation - As I mentioned above, HDMI V1.4 allows to supported equipment to communicate via the HDMI cable and save the need of running extra cables between components. Another feature is the Audio Return Channel (ARC) which allow the TV to send the sound back to your AV receiver so you can hear the sound of the streaming content such as Netflix through your surround sound system rather than through the TV's speakers. With this feature, the TV can control the AV Receiver and switch the source on the receiver automatically to TV Audio and play the sound through the speakers. Unfortunately, either as a bug or intentionally, the way this was implemented by Samsung doesn't play nice with other components. When you turn on the TV, it will always send a command to the receiver and switch the source on the receiver to TV Audio.
3. Power Light - This is more of a personal semantics.... the power light is turned red when the TV is in off state. The light will turn off when the TV is on. The problem is if there is no picture on the screen, there is no way to know if the TV is on or the power was cutoff completely. I wish the light could change to dark blue when the TV is on.
All in all this is a real winner among the many choices available today. It offers outstanding image quality as well as amazing array of apps and other features. In fact I was so impressed by this panel that I got one for myself. If you can afford shelling $1800 I highly recommend this panel.
P.S. check best deal for this TV at: smarttvs12.wordpress.com/samsung-pn51f8500/
Hope this review is helpful.
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Better than ever!
by Justin-Lee on April 27, 2013
Pros: TV is gorgeous, slimmer bezel
Plasma performs very well
Great picture quality
Cons: Slight buzzing
Summary: I just purchased this unit about 2 day ago after having and lcd tv for the last 5 years. I'm a big tv and home theater enthusiast and i'...
Summary: I just purchased this unit about 2 day ago after having and lcd tv for the last 5 years. I'm a big tv and home theater enthusiast and i've been waiting for this years new plasma tvs since samsung made significant improvements.this tv is outstanding in all aspects. I've been doing a lot of research and side by side comparison between led and plasma before buying a new tv and this plasma definitely kicks butt!. Why get an led?? plasma is even cheaper!!!
aesthetics- this tv is gorgeous, slimmer bezel, all metal with brushed aluminum makes this tv very unique and elegant, all other brands just look alike and the sony and panasonic gorilla glass is pretty redundant, not that attractive, and looks cheap. Solid construction all around compared to the cheap plastics that shows glue on edges of leds. Narrow profile.
performance- this plasma performs very well, big improvement over last year's e8000 series, quad core makes performance very fast accurate and smooth compared to panasonic's dual core.
picture quality- holly smokes!!! obviously plasma over led hands down!!!! richer colors, natural skin tones and deep blacks, not purples like leds. this plasma has a ton of brightness. i have mine set at 60% and contrast at 60% making this tv as bright as led. i have not gotten the chance to test the 3d yet!! but the picture is unreal. Plasmas are better than ever!!
CONS: -slight buzzing which i understand is normal on all plasma tvs especially when displaying bright screen colors but it's not overwhelming. you must have the tv in mute and get really close to either top corners of the tv in order to hear it. But once you have a little volume then you won't hear it at all.
-I wish samsung made the camera adjustable instead of a straight forward setting. not everyone will have the tv at the same height!!!
For those of you who are experiencing louder than normal buzzing and can hear it beyond a couple of feet try putting some light pressure on and off in the back panel, top left or right corner and hear the difference. if the loud buzzing resides to normal then the screws that hold the circuit boards by the power supply are not tight enough. you can make that adjustment at your own risk!!! or you can call a tech to do it for you.
*Note: For low price, I suggest at: www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCPGOD4/?tag=cnt-amz-20
Other than that I HIGHLY recommend this tv to anyone.
PS: Thank you my friend "BENNY" for this helpful review.
3 out of 5 users found this user opinion helpful.
Remote won't work and service at Samsung not reliable.
by TTTCCCAAA on February 23, 2014
Pros: Great picture, great performance
Cons: Remote won't turn tv on at all. That is all I use it for as Samsung will not allow other universal remotes to turn their product on. Now I have to reach behind to turn it on and off feels like 1960 in 2014.
Summary: Called support center and was told the TV needs a software upgrade and was told it would take 2 to 6 weeks for each update to come in the mail. ...
Summary: Called support center and was told the TV needs a software upgrade and was told it would take 2 to 6 weeks for each update to come in the mail. It's been over a month now and the last time I spoke with someone about this they said they would call back of course this never happened. I've installed two of these upgrades and still no remote connectivity. So for a month I have to go back to 1950 to turn on my tv. To reiterate, I only use the remote to turn on the TV as Samsung does not allow any other product to turn the tv on remotely but yet all other functions will work with an app. Very disturbing especially since my other tv's use Crestron and URC and iPad with ease and was told they would work seamless.
I also called about why I was unable to hear movies through my stereo and was told by the support center that it's not available. Really?? I've been using it on other TV's hooked up to a Crestron system and stereo without issues. Come to find out this was not the case but I had to pay my Stereo guy a fee to come out and diagnose only to find out I needed a cable.
Just too many issues and extremely poor response from manager callbacks at Samsung.
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Part number: PN51F8500
- Description: The Samsung Smart Plasma TV F8500 is the ultimate picture you've been waiting for and the best performance Samsung have to offer. It starts with the Super Contrast Panel, which delivers unprecedented brightness, the deepest black levels and precise colors and clarity. They've also added Cinema Smooth to give anything you watch film-like smoothness, no matter the original motion quality. These advanced picture features bring out every high definition detail of your favorite movies, sports and shows. And you'll have no problem finding your favorites or discovering ones with Smart Hub - a faster way to navigate TV content. This intuitive central menu organizes and personalizes your entertainment world into five panels: On-TV, movies and shows, social, Apps and a panel for your personal photos, videos and music. Swipe between these panels using simple hand gestures and even use S-Recommendation with Voice Interaction to ask things like "what action movies are on " The S-Recommendation search engine will find your favorite TV shows, movies and stored content - making what's on TV an easy choice. You can also share photos and videos from your compatible smart devices to your TV - or use your smartphone and tablet to watch what's on your TV. The design marvel continues with the beautiful brushed metal frame with curved lines that elegantly rests on a complementing stand.
- TV type Plasma
- Screen size 51 in
- 3D Active 3D
- 3D glasses & accessories 3D glasses (4pcs) included
- Connectivity Bluetooth,
- Smart TV Yes
- Internet streaming services Netflix,
Amazon Instant Video
- Skype details Skype ready,
Built-in web camera
- TV features Quad-core processor,
Full web browser,
Super Contrast Panel,
Real Black Pro Filter,
Wide Color Enhancer Plus,
Smart Interaction with voice/gesture control,
Down Firing + Full Range speaker,
Auto Volume Leveler (AVL)
- Native resolution 1920 x 1080
- Resolution 1080p
- Refresh rate 600 Hz
- Motion Enhancement Technology 600Hz Subfield Motion
- Aspect ratio 16:9
- HDCP compatible Yes
- TV tuner presence Yes
- Surround mode Yes
- Sound effects DTS Premium Sound,
- Built-in decoders DNSe+,
Dolby Digital Plus/Pulse,
DTS Premium Sound 5.1,
DTS 2.0 + Digital Out
- HDMI ports qty 4
- Input/Output connections 4 x HDMI (19 pin HDMI Type A),
3 x USB (4 pin USB Type A),
1 x Composite video / component video input (RCA phono x 3)
- Video interface HDMI,
- Type Smart Touch remote control
- Features Built-in microphone,
- Service & support 1 year warranty
- Service & support details Limited warranty - Parts and labor - 1 year - On-site
- Power device Power supply
Dimensions & Weight
- Dimensions (WxDxH) 46.9 in x 10.6 in x 29.3 in - With stand
- Weight 51.6 lbs
Dimensions & Weight (Shipping)
- Width 50.8 in
- Depth 15 in
- Height 33.5 in
- Weight 65 lbs
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2011) 4.1
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2012) 4.2