Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100)
Manufacturer: Pioneer Part number: SPH-DA100
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/29/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $399.99
- Reviewed by: Antuan Goodwin
- Reviewed on: 09/24/2012
The good: The Pioneer AppRadio gives in-dash access to dozens of Android and iOS apps via its 7-inch capacitive touch screen. Native iPod connectivity allows passengers to plug in and play. Bluetooth hands-free calling increases safety.
The bad: The required Android connectivity kit is too expensive. Android users have to use a specific keyboard app to enable touch sensitivity. The USB port can't be used for MP3 playback and there's no Bluetooth audio streaming.
The bottom line: For iPhone 4 and 4S lovers, the Pioneer AppRadio 2 is possibly the best aftermarket receiver that money can buy. For Android users, the choice isn't so obvious.
Great but quirky radio
by UncleSpudBB on June 15, 2012
Pros: - Clean design
- Smooth graphics
- Very responsive capacitive multi-touch screen
- Tons of potential.
Cons: - Annoying warning screens
- Constantly having to press "Allow" on phone.
- Limited app availability (will get better... hopefully)
- Feels a bit "beta"
- Tons of potential... it's just not living up to it yet.
Summary: After the screen went out on my Kenwood DDX-714 I was looking for a simple solution that would let me integrate my iPhone 4S and utilize technology I've already ...
Summary: After the screen went out on my Kenwood DDX-714 I was looking for a simple solution that would let me integrate my iPhone 4S and utilize technology I've already invested in. The answer: AppRadio.
The AppRadio is faster and much more responsive than my Kenwood. Even something as simple as bringing up the album art from my iPod would take 5 seconds or more on the Kenwood and is instant on the App Radio. Movement between screens is smooth but clicking between apps is where the experience changes. There's first the lag, then the need to press "Okay" on the Phone, and not to mention if the warning screens decide to pop back up.
Seriously? How many warnings do I need? Why can I not accept the risks one time (similar to an AUP on software) and be done with it. I'm serious- I am at no point going to come to the startling realization that I should not try to drive down the interstate at 90mph watching a movie and eating popcorn. Please, for the love of all that is holy in the universe, realize that we are not all idiots and can accept a warning once without constant (and I mean CONSTANT reminders.)
The app selection is sparse- and by sparse I mean included in the "52 compatible apps" are 39 different language and location versions of NavMii and NavFree- mediocre navigation apps that will hopefully be defunct once iOS 6 is released with turn by turn navigation. That leaves a total of 13 apps (of which only a few are of any real value.
Pioneer- seriously- start partnering with app developers to make more apps available. It can only help the user experience and increase your sales. I'd love to see my SiriusXM app work or even a Netflix app so I can watch 20 year old movies while doing 90mph and eating popcorn (or am I not supposed to do that- I can't remember, it's been a few minutes since I've seen a warning.)
The app selection will improve over time which is a huge benefit of this radio. As apps are developed and become available they offer the potential for growth- not something you will find on other radios.
I have few other issues with the radio in general. It is a work of art and looks clean and uncluttered in my dash. The screen is sharp and crisp. I love the idea of not having to purchase yet another navigation system, update another map, and have the potential to grow as technology grows. What I don't like is the almost "Beta" feeling- the feeling that the AppRadio is "almost ready" like a prototype car at a car show without a motor in it- it looks pretty and is innovative but it's not going anywhere until they finish it.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Pioneer
- Part number: SPH-DA100
- Description: Smartphones are a common source of entertainment, information and network connectivity, whether you're at home or on the go. The heritage of integrating technology into the car without compromising design, performance or safety, has lead to the development of a cutting-edge product that brings your connected lifestyle safely into the vehicle!
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Digital receiver
- Form Factor In-dash unit
- Enclosure Type Double-DIN
- Functions LCD display,
- Bluetooth functions Hands-free calling
- Features Rear-facing camera capability,
Control apps on iPhone 4,
iPhone 4 / iPod Touch 4th Gen compatible
- Type LCD monitor
- Technology TFT active matrix
- Diagonal Size 7 in
- Resolution 800 x 480
- Features Capacitive multitouch screen
- Radio Radio tuner - AM/FM
- Total Preset Station Qty 24
- AM Preset Station Qty 6
- RDS Yes
- Features DX/LO switch,
Best stations memory
- Max Output Power / Channel Qty 50 Watts x 4
- Type Digital graphic
- Equalizer Band Qty 5 bands
- Connector Type 2 x Audio line-out ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear,
Camera connector ( RCA phono ) - Rear
- Metra MFK-3010S-1 navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (35119503)999.99
- Metra MFK-5823-CH-1 navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (35117050)999.99
- Sony XNV-770BT navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (34390050)675.00 - 1199.95
- Alpine CDA 9886M - radio / CD / MP3 player / USB flash player (32901361)309.00 - 349.99
- Alpine SWR-T10 (34107973)299.95 - 599.99
- Alpine SWR-T12 (34108169)349.00 - 599.99
- Alpine PKG-M780 two LCD monitors / controller module (32463943)534.95
- Alpine PKG-RSE2 DVD player with LCD monitor (32138841)551.21 - 699.99
- Alpine iDA-X100M - radio / digital player (32901653)349.95
- Alpine SPX 13PRO - car speaker (32814387)348.00 - 650.00
- Alpine SPX 17PRO - car speaker (32814395)422.00 - 650.00
- Alpine SPX-13REF Component Speaker System (32783278)219.99 - 399.00
- Alpine PDX F6 - amplifier (34108098)442.00 - 749.99
- Alpine PDX M6 - amplifier (34108108)399.95 - 499.99
- Alpine PDX-4.100M - amplifier (32902319)378.95 - 599.99