HP Color LaserJet 3500
Manufacturer: HP Part number: Q1319A
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Memory4Less.com|| Not yet rated || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 04/23/2014Refurbished
CNET editors' review
price range: $525.05
- Reviewed by: Jeffrey Fuchs
- Reviewed on: 02/18/2004
- Released on: 01/06/2004
The good: Excellent monochrome and color text printing.
The bad: Space hog; limited expandability; add-ons can get expensive.
The bottom line: The HP Color LaserJet 3500 is a good printer for a home office or a small business that needs quality printing but not expandability.
Excellent color prints
Pros: Easy to install. Excellent color prints. Takes 200 g paper. Single-pass technology. Most wearing parts easily accesible. HP's ImageRET works very well, th eprinter can be used as a photo printer. Telephone support (I live in Sweden) is good. Seems to be p
Cons: Would have been nice to be able to upgrade the memory. Find the default color settings far too rich, especially for magenta. Am experimenting with various minus-settings. Even though ImageRET works well, a proper desiciption of what it really is can't be
5 out of 5 users found this user opinion helpful.
Quality allround printer with cristal clear output. sturdy, but clumsy Linux support
by alexkidbe on August 16, 2005
Pros: great B/W text; great COLOR text; really sharp images, no pixels visible; falls after a while in powersave (complete silence)
Cons: crappy linux support; heavy (but manageable)
Summary: Before buying this printer (HP 3500), I looked around for comparable types and read dozens of reviews, both by users or by professional reviewers. Since I found that there where ...
Summary: Before buying this printer (HP 3500), I looked around for comparable types and read dozens of reviews, both by users or by professional reviewers. Since I found that there where not enough rewievs available I though I had to submit one that says a bit more than just 'ok or not'.
I was looking for a color laserjet that we could use our in home office. Networking was not important, nor the speed. The most important to us was functionality and image quality.
I read a lot about this printer being a host-based printer and not operating under Linux.
Host-based, means (as far as I made out) that it does not have native support for standard PCL or PostScript, but that a host-pc must perform the task of converting the image to the raw data format the printer understands. This is a drawback for some, but I looked around and found no good reasons for this to become an issue.
Linux, I found out, can make use of this printer (see www.linuxprinting.org). But HP is not the one suppling the solution which I found to be inconceivable for a company like HP! Really HP, do something about it!
now that I have the printer, here are my findings:
- yes it is bulky and heavy but that's not interresting, what's more interresting is that this is a quality made machine. No items that could easily break off or crappy plastics. The front panel opens up to install the 4 toners Which practically install themselves. Just slide them in.
- It makes cristal clear printouts. Both in b/w as in color.
- Black text is realy sharp, better than the previous model I had (HP LaserJet 6P).
- Color text is really something you should see! I have seen inkjet printouts that were really good, but this stands out! Text is really sharp and the colors are great! You have to consider that when you work (like me) on an LCD screen, the color is a bit different than on a CRT screen. And that the color of both LCD and CRT screens are hard to mach exactly on paper. But that is an issue for all printers. I can genuilly say that this was realy good.
Since I had no high expectations on output of color images, I was amazed by the sharpness of the colorphotos I printed. There was no banding or any pixels distinction possible. But that said, if you want to use this mainly as a photoprinter, dont't. This is not a an issue for this printer alone, but no colorlaser can match a good fotoprinter. (or real photo). Hard fluoresent tones of different colors for instance are not (hardly) possible with LaserJets. So don't go looking for it. The colors in the images printed out a bit too dark (in standard setup). But you could only see that if you put them next to the real photo.
Logo printing: The company logo must be printed perfectlly, and any small print must be cristal clear. And it did the job great!
Speed is realy good. Very fast printing of color images or text, and (I don't know what the reviewers are complaining about) fast black and white printing (for my usage or a small workgroup that is).
noise? Well some. When the printer is on and working it makes a bit more noise than my previous 6P. In between jobs, you mainly hear the ventilator that doesn't make more noise than a normal pc. After a while it falls into powersave mode which fills the room with utter silence.
price: well it is not cheap, but if you subtract the cost of the included consumables, the printer itself costs less than 200 euro.
in conclusion: Generally spoken, I am a demanding person. But I have to say that I am very pleased with this printer so far. It makes cristal clear and sharp images, is fast, is sturdy, has great colors, no pixels can be distinguished and does not make a lot of noise. The toner installation is hastle free.
The only drawback is HP's lack of proper Linux support, but that shouldn't stop you since there is a workaround.
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
an excellent all-around printer
by cnlson on April 4, 2005
Pros: beautiful color
Cons: "Smart toner "
Summary: so far a little over 4000 pages and i still love it! only reason it did not get a 10 is that the "smart" toner locked me out of the ...
Summary: so far a little over 4000 pages and i still love it! only reason it did not get a 10 is that the "smart" toner locked me out of the black cartridge because it "thinks" it is out. while still having over 1/3 of the toner left. i do not understand what would be hurt letting it completely run out like i did with my 1012 laser that this replaced. one of the nice things is that it comes with direct chat so i do not have to wait on hold wasting cell minute to get an answer. Next year i am definitely going for the 3550 if i can afford it. 1/3 more speed would really be nice.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Gray color sucks
Pros: Prints on any paper, the color is clear, and cartridges are easy to change
Cons: try printing gradient gray from photoshop and it prints some shades as green, dunno why? called tech support in the philippines and they said they'll call back, that was two months ago.
1 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
by shiphen3 on December 15, 2010
Pros: Moderately reliable.
Cons: Expensive running costs. Blew up severely after about 100,000 pages (4.5 years)
Summary: Nothing special.
Summary: Nothing special.
Great value and great prints
Pros: good price and good brand with excellent quality
Cons: a little bigger than I would like
Love the output
Pros: Speed is not an issue with me and all the output has been beautiful. Couldn't ask for a better laser printer. When you subtract the $519.00 for the included toner cartridges, you are only paying $280.00 for the printer.....a great deal!
Cons: It's big! I keep it on the floor underneath my desk, so it's not an issue.
Won't work with Unix
Pros: Haven't tested
Cons: Printing from Unix is unsupported. It is therefore useless for some of our business functions.
0 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: HP
- Part number: Q1319A
- Description: It's easy to bring color into your business with the HP Color LaserJet 3500 printer series. Vibrant color is now possible at the same speed, ease, and affordability you're used to with black only printing. Print up to 12 ppm in color and black and white, and enjoy the professional quality of HP's ImageREt 2400 printing technology. It's simple to use and maintain with just four print cartridges. The all-in-one supplies are designed to be fast and efficient, and reduce the amount of supplies that need to be ordered and maintained. Share the value of this series with a small group by utilizing its network options. Great color, great quality, great value.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Printer Type Workgroup printer - Laser - Laser - Color - Color
- Print Speed up to 12 ppm - Color - A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in),
up to 12 ppm - B/W - A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in)
- Built-in Devices Status LCD
- Connectivity Technology Wired
- Interface USB USB
- Max Resolution ( B&W ) 600 dpi x 600 dpi 600 dpi
- Max Resolution ( Color ) 600 dpi x 600 dpi 600 dpi
- Image Enhancement Technology HP ImageREt 2400
- Processor MIPS 333 MHz
- RAM Installed ( Max ) 64 MB
- Media Type Cards ,
Recycled paper ,
Glossy paper ,
- Media Size Class A4/Legal
- Max Media Size Legal (216 x 356 mm),
A4 (210 x 297 mm)
- Max Media Size (Custom) 8.5 in x 14 in
- Media Sizes B5 (6.93 in x 9.83 in),
Executive (7.25 in x 10.5 in),
Legal (8.5 in x 14 in),
A5 (5.83 in x 8.25 in),
A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in),
Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in),
3 in x 5 in,
JIS B5 (7.17 in x 10.12 in)
- Media Weight 60 g/m2 - 216 g/m2
- Total Media Capacity 350 sheets
- Media Feeder(s) 1 x Autoload - 100 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) weight: 60 g/m2 - 216 g/m2,
1 x Autoload - 250 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) weight: 60 g/m2 - 105 g/m2
- Monthly Duty Cycle (max) 45000 pages 45000 pages
- Cartridge / Printhead Included Qty 4
- Modem None
- Networking None
- Type None
- Copier Type None
Expansion / Connectivity
- Expansion Bays None
- Connections 1 x USB 2.0 - 4 pin USB Type B
- Cables Included 1 x USB cable
- Consumables Included 1 x Toner cartridge ( Yellow ) - up to 4000 pages,
1 x Toner cartridge ( Cyan ) - up to 4000 pages,
1 x Toner cartridge ( Magenta ) - up to 4000 pages,
1 x Toner cartridge ( Black ) - up to 6000 pages
- Microsoft Certifications Certified for Windows Vista
- Compliant Standards TUV GS,
- Power Device Power supply - Internal
- Power Consumption Operational 350 Watt
- Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 18 Watt
- Type None
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included HP Embedded Web Server,
Drivers & Utilities,
HP Web JetAdmin
- OS Required Apple MacOS X 10.2 or later ,
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 ,
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 ,
Apple MacOS 9.1 or later ,
Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP ,
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- System Requirements Details Windows 98/2000/ME/XP - 333 MHz - RAM 64 MB,
Windows Server 2003 - 550 MHz - RAM 128 MB - HD 220 MB,
MacOS 9.1/9.2 - RAM 96 MB,
MacOS X 10.2 or later - RAM 128 MB - HD 220 MB
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year - On-site,
Technical support - Phone consulting - 1 year,
Technical support - E-mail consulting - 1 year
- Min Operating Temperature 50 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 80.6 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 70%
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 19 in
- Depth 17.6 in
- Height 18.4 in
- Weight 71.6 lbs