Manufacturer: Samsung Part number: ML-3051N/XAA
- More product information:
- Editors' review
- User reviews
- Product series
- Manufacturer info
- Bottom Line:
- With its low cost of consumable, fast print speeds, and excellent print quality, the Samsung ML-3051N is an excellent mono laser printer for a small office with multiple users.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/05/2013Refurbished
CNET editors' review
price range: $305.05
- Reviewed by: Felisa Yang
- Edited by: Matthew Elliott
- Reviewed on: 10/12/2006
The good: Inexpensive; expandable paper-handling options; network ready; fast print speeds; excellent print quality.
The bad: Autoduplexing costs extra.
The bottom line: With its low cost of consumable, fast print speeds, and excellent print quality, the Samsung ML-3051N is an excellent mono laser printer for a small office with multiple users.
Highly recommended for the home office or small workgroup.
by writer617 on December 4, 2007
Pros: Reasonable price and size, high print quality, fast speed, network capability, toner-save feature.
Cons: Paper tends to curl slightly on printouts. Only b/w, no color.
Summary: I've had this printer for a few months, and I really like it. I am a writer and editor working from home, so price and table space were factors ...
Summary: I've had this printer for a few months, and I really like it. I am a writer and editor working from home, so price and table space were factors in my choice of printer. It also needed to be fast and have high print quality, for the times when I have a manuscript to print out. We also wanted a networked printer so that my husband could use it from elsewhere in the house. The Samsung ML-3051N has met all those needs admirably. The only thing I had to give up was the ability to print in color, but that has not been a big deal. I especially appreciate the toner-save feature, which is great for printing drafts or Web pages. I highly recommend this printer for the home office or small workgroup.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Do not buy this product
by CocoBMe on January 12, 2011
Pros: It looks nice
Cons: It won't feed the paper and makes a horrible noise until you open the main door and pull the printer cartridge. It will jam pretty often too.
Summary: We changed paper and still it doesn't work properly. It is inconvenient to have to constantly get up to fix it when you print. It leaves huge amounts of ...
Summary: We changed paper and still it doesn't work properly. It is inconvenient to have to constantly get up to fix it when you print. It leaves huge amounts of ink on the pages also when you remove them from the carriage. We haven't noticed any smell, but it's probably because the noise it makes is so irritating.
Great Printer, but front loading no longer works.
by gpcfac on November 22, 2009
Pros: Cost effective, Quick for small volumes, Quick start up time, Amazing toner efficiency (I can't believe that someone would dare to use an inkjet instead of one of these for b/w), Reliable software.
Cons: Front loader broke shortly after purchase, Does not hold an entire ream of paper (500 shts) holds 1/2-2/3, Only 8.5 x 11 paper, Too much plastic in construction makes it unsturdy, Duplex costs extra.
Summary: I bought this printer for my home 2 years ago. I am a graduate student and I print a lot of documents, and I have yet to replace the original ...
Summary: I bought this printer for my home 2 years ago. I am a graduate student and I print a lot of documents, and I have yet to replace the original toner cartridge. I am amazed. I used the front loader to print on envelopes and it broke about 6 months after purchase. It networks easily, but it does give off a strange burning aroma when you print 50 or more pages. My main purpose was cost effective 50-250 pg volume b/w a day, and I would recommend this product.
A SPARTAN! - Surprisingly good B&W LAN laser printer.
by Rpapi100 on August 1, 2009
Pros: - bottomless ink cartridge.
- Cheapest cost per page printer I have ever owned (heavy duty ones are cheaper by a small margin!)
- Easy install & compatibility (XP,Vista,7,Ubuntu)
- reliable, generates little heat/smell & made solid.
Cons: - So-so appearance (no beauty queen here)
- The network access menu is very complete but very confusing for someone who's not familiar with printers (lots of side-functions)
-Not the fastest start-up time I've seen.
Summary: For the price you can now get this printer, this is a steal (got mine 30$ without a cartridge after haggling for this printer and other items). I use my ...
Summary: For the price you can now get this printer, this is a steal (got mine 30$ without a cartridge after haggling for this printer and other items). I use my printer every other day and print lots of long reports (100 pages+) multiple times per year ( I must of printed the equivalent of two boxes of paper up to now). Yet I have still not run out of ink and even if the quantity of ink has diminished, the quality of the printing has remained constant after two years (!).RE: boulderCO's review: The Samsung ML-3051N has no duplexing feature built-in (you must buy a module separately and the one that comes with it is not the ML3051N but the ML3051ND I think).
I did not have the manual or drivers when I bought it (refurbished) but it was regardless an easy install.
After two years of use this printer has not left me down and is a great little piece of hardware!
Updated on Aug 1, 2009
Also, after two years of operation I have never smelled myself (or have been notified) of a particular smell. Cheap paper maybe (I buy the cheapest and get no problem but whatever)?
WARNING: awful electrical smell each time you print
by boulderCO on January 4, 2009
Pros: duplex feature
Cons: Emits an awful electrical smell when printing. Seems dangerous to inhale this.
Summary: The electrical smell really worries me as a health hazard. This printer gives off such a strong, acrid electrical smell every time it prints and even just when it's ...
Summary: The electrical smell really worries me as a health hazard. This printer gives off such a strong, acrid electrical smell every time it prints and even just when it's turned on. I've never encountered such a smell before. I tried a work-around by queuing up printing jobs and trying to just print and turn off, but now it seems to get ERROR messages on almost every printing. I've only had this printer for 3 weeks. When it works, I like its speed and duplexing, but the electrical smell really worries me as a health hazard.
0 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Part number: ML-3051N/XAA
- Description: The Samsung ML-3050 series give you complete freedom with 100, 000 page monthly duty cycle and a large toner capacity. The ML-3050's extremely powerful CPU of 400 MHz and memory expandable to 272 MB make for an unbeatable combination for optimal performance and a more efficient and productive work environment. The ML-3050 series carries a maximum monthly duty cycle of up to 100, 000 pages (approx. 5, 000 pages per average work day) - at least five times greater than other competitive brands. Conserve toner and paper with instant-touch Toner Save which boosts toner productivity by 40% (from 4, 000 to 5, 600 pages). An already robust standard yield of 4, 000 pages doubles to 8, 000 pages with the use of a high yield toner, meaning less frequent changes, fewer consumables, and overall time and effort saved. For prompt and easy installation, the ML-3050 series is just four clicks away from printer-ready status with no need to shut down or reboot your PC. The ML-3050 series is among the world's most adaptable, supporting Windows (including Windows XP 64-bit), Mac and Linux operating systems, making them among the most accessible printers on the market.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Printer Type Workgroup printer - Laser - Laser - Monochrome - Monochrome
- Print Speed up to 30 ppm - Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in),
up to 28 ppm - A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in)
- Built-in Devices Status LCD
- Connectivity Technology Wired
- Interface USB LAN,
Ethernet 10/100Base-TX Parallel
- Max Resolution ( B&W ) 1200 dpi x 1200 dpi 1200 dpi
- PostScript Support Standard
- First Print Out Time B/W 8.5 sec
- Language Simulation PCL 6,
SPL (Samsung Printer Language),
- Fonts Included 45 x Scalable,
1 x Bitmapped,
136 x PostScript 3
- Media Handling 50-sheet multipurpose tray,
250-sheet input tray
- Processor Samsung 400 MHz
- RAM Installed ( Max ) 64 MB / 320 MB (max)
- Slots Qty 1
- Empty Slots 1
- Media Type Cards ,
- Max Media Size (Custom) 8.5 in x 14 in
- Media Sizes A6 (4.13 in x 5.83 in),
B5 (6.93 in x 9.83 in),
Executive (7.25 in x 10.5 in),
Legal (8.5 in x 14 in),
A5 (5.83 in x 8.25 in),
A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in),
Folio (8.5 in x 13 in),
Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in),
JIS B5 (7.17 in x 10.12 in)
- Envelope Sizes International C6 (4.5 in x 6.38 in),
Monarch (3.87 in x 7.5 in),
International B5 (6.93 in x 9.83 in),
International DL (4.33 in x 8.66 in),
International C5 (6.38 in x 9 in),
Com-10 (4.13 in x 9.5 in)
- Media Weight 60 g/m2 - 163 g/m2
- Total Media Capacity 300 sheets
- Media Feeder(s) 1 x Autoload - 250 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) weight: 60 g/m2 - 90 g/m2,
1 x Autoload - 50 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) weight: 60 g/m2 - 163 g/m2
- Max Media Capacity 550 sheets
- Output Trays Capacity 150 sheets
- Monthly Duty Cycle (max) 35000 pages 35000 pages
- Modem None
- Networking Print server
- Data Link Protocol Fast Ethernet,
- Type None
- Copier Type None
Expansion / Connectivity
- Expansion Bays None
- Connections 1 x Parallel - 36 pin Centronics,
1 x USB 2.0 - 4 pin USB Type B,
1 x LAN - RJ-45
- Consumables Included 1 x Toner cartridge - up to 4000 pages
- Microsoft Certifications Certified for Windows Vista
- Power Device Power supply - Internal
- Voltage Required AC 120 V
- Frequency Required 50/60 Hz
- Power Consumption Operational 520 Watt
- Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 11 Watt
- Type None
Software / System Requirements
- OS Required Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 ,
Red Hat Linux 8.0 ,
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 ,
Red Hat Fedora Core 3 ,
SuSE Linux 9.2 ,
Mandrake Linux 10.1 Discovery ,
Red Hat Fedora Core 2 ,
Red Hat Fedora Core 1 ,
Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP ,
Red Hat Linux 9 ,
SuSE Linux 8.2 ,
Apple MacOS 8.6 - 9.2 ,
Apple MacOS X 10.1 - 10.3 ,
Mandrake Linux 9.2 ,
- Min Operating Temperature 50 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 89.6 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 20 - 80%
- Sound Emission (Idle) 39 dBA
- Sound Emission (Operating) 54 dBA
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 15.7 in
- Depth 17 in
- Height 11.2 in
- Weight 23.4 lbs
Specs: Workgroup printer - Laser - Laser - Monochrome - Monochrome,
A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in) Legal (216 x 356 mm),
Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) A4 (210 x 297 mm),
15.7 in x 17 in x 11.2 in