Xerox Phaser 6180/N
Manufacturer: Xerox Part number: 6180/N
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/19/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $376.76
- Reviewed by: Felisa Yang
- Edited by: Matthew Elliott
- Reviewed on: 02/20/2007
- Released on: 02/12/2007
The good: Fast; high-quality prints; decent per-page costs; toll-free phone support.
The bad: A little pricey; color printing could use some slight improvements.
The bottom line: We really like the office-oriented Xerox 6180/N for its quick, high-quality prints, but the Lexmark C530dn provides more bang for your buck and slightly better quality.
Perfect for the price.
by Little old man on March 16, 2007
Pros: Great looking prints, very quiet and small footprint.
Cons: Unable to see printer in any store that I could find. No paper quantity indicator in front of paper tray.
Summary: I have had this "Xerox Phaser 6180/N" for about a week now and I love it.
I started out with the "OKI 5500n" because of the reviews, after one ...
Summary: I have had this "Xerox Phaser 6180/N" for about a week now and I love it.
I started out with the "OKI 5500n" because of the reviews, after one day took it back because of the shiny print. Who knew you could have a hard time reading the print under light bulb type lighting. I went to bed and was going to read some stuff I had just printed on the OKI 5500 and I had to keep moving the paper due the the shiny print.
Then I was going to get the "Lexmark C530dn" but I read a review that said it would cycle about once an hour and that just wasn't going to work for me. I was not able to verify this for myself because you will be hard pressed to find either the Lexmark C530 or the Zerox Phaser 6180 in any store to look at for yourself.
I ordered the printer direct from Zerox and got the printer in two working days shipped by ground UPS. The box was huge but the printer inside was small, and had a much smaller footprint than the OKI 5500. OK the Zerox 6180 stands a litter taller but not it just feels smaller.
The set up was so so, maybe it was me, but the computer was not able to find the printer on the network until I shut off the router then the computer and I even shut off the printer too. After that everything came up OK.
The Printer sleeps very very quiet until you push the green wake up button or send a print. And then not much for noise during the printing.
Print times are from sleep to first page out color 42 seconds, and from stand-by or warmed up 19 seconds for the same color print. This may be in part to the fact that I am going though a router "Linksys WRT54GS v.4" or my old computer is sending out the information slow.
The quality of the print looks great to me, from small text to color in a print, but I have only used inkjets for color up to now. I had a old NEC SuperScript 860 B/W laser that this is replacing and this Zerox 6180 is so much better in quality. As far as color I still have a "HP Officejet d145 all-in-one" that does a better job of printing pictures. But the laser is not to far behind. I am going to keep the inkjet for photo's for now. but one nice thing about the laser you can print a photo on standard paper and the paper isn't soaked with ink.
The front door comes down easy to put in other kinds of paper. Menu is easy to use, you can even set the time before the printer goes to sleep. But that is really done for power usage not the noise.
One last thought, I didn't get the duplexer "to print two sides" because of the cost. I wish they could have made that a little less expensive. But I would recommend this printer to anyone looking for a color printer for around the $500 to $600 dollar range.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Great Quality,Very Slow
by Zuschlauer on May 29, 2012
Pros: Prints exceptionally good quality images and text.
You never misprint for lack of toner.
Cons: Very slow to start printing.
Toner is expensive.
Requires support contract for serious use.
Requires toner replacement before toner is out.
Summary: First, the toner is $250+ per cartridge. You can find better prices at Costco then other places. The toner fragments are round, I am told, rather than square. This increases ...
Summary: First, the toner is $250+ per cartridge. You can find better prices at Costco then other places. The toner fragments are round, I am told, rather than square. This increases the image quality and price of the toner. It's cut, not shredded and therein lies the rub. The worst problem is the printer driver for this printer. If you want 40 copies of the same page, the printer driver will image the page 40 times and then send 40 images to the printer. This can take awhile. The actual printing does not take very long at all. If you want more than 50 copies of the same page you will have to print in smaller groups because there is not enough memory for more images in the printer. Depending on the size of the image you may be able to print more than 50 pages at a time, but be warned that if you try to print 51 in a batch that can only fit 50 copies into memory, it will fail at the point that it is uploading the images. If you tell it 200 copies, it will create 200 images and then start uploading them. When the printer memory is full everything resets and you are just looking at a screen as if you never tried to print. Even the cheapest printers only make one image and tell the printer to print it 40 times, not send 40 individual images to the printer.
Once you get past all of the learning curve for printing multiple copies it is a great printer. I have had no other problems with the printer itself.
There is no tech support except what you pay for. But all the problems were other than the printer for me. Troubleshooting guides (manual/internet) are almost nonexistent. A great printer, but really for an office where 1) you will have a maintenance contract with the local Xerox dealer, and 2) you take larger jobs to a commercial printer.
Too expensive to operate
by Houzan1st on August 28, 2009
Pros: Good quality prints. Fast.
Cons: Expensive toner. Toner has extremely low output.
Summary: I have owned this printer for a year and I am ready to recycle it. It burns through toner. I put a new cayenne toner in last week, and the ...
Summary: I have owned this printer for a year and I am ready to recycle it. It burns through toner. I put a new cayenne toner in last week, and the same day the register told me that the cayenne toner is low. Late model printers are all about selling consumables, and it is getting worse all the time.
- Manufacturer: Xerox
- Part number: 6180/N
- Description: Blazing a new trail among fast, affordable, easy-to-use color laser printers, the Xerox Phaser 6180 series delivers the speed and print quality today's small to medium-size businesses have been waiting for. High-performance features and unparalleled ease-of-use deliver spectacular results, page after page.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Printer Type - Color,
Workgroup printer - Laser - Laser - Monochrome - Color
- Form Factor Desktop
- Print Speed up to 26 ppm - B/W - Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in),
up to 25 ppm - B/W - A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in),
up to 20 ppm - Color - Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in),
up to 20 ppm - Color - A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in)
- Built-in Devices Status LCD
- Connectivity Technology Wired
- Interface USB LAN,
Ethernet 10/100Base-TX Parallel
- Max Resolution ( B&W ) 600 dpi x 600 dpi 600 dpi
- Max Resolution ( Color ) 600 dpi x 600 dpi 600 dpi
- PostScript Support Standard
- First Print Out Time B/W 10 sec
- Language Simulation PCL 6,
- Fonts Included 136 x PostScript,
81 x PCL
- Color Management Features Apple ColorSync,
PANTONE Digital Color
- Printer Features Optional duplex
- Media Handling 250-sheet input tray,
150-sheet multipurpose tray
- Processor 400 MHz
- RAM Installed ( Max ) 128 MB / 1.125 GB (max)
- Technology DDR2 SDRAM - SO DIMM 200-pin
- Slots Qty 1
- Empty Slots 1
- Media Type Cards ,
Glossy paper ,
Plain paper ,
- Media Size Class Legal
- Max Media Size Legal (216 x 356 mm)
- Min Media Size (Custom) 3 in x 5 in
- Max Media Size (Custom) 8.66 in x 14 in
- Media Sizes Legal (8.5 in x 14 in),
A5 (5.83 in x 8.25 in),
A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in),
Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in),
8.7 in x 14 in,
3 in x 5 in
- Media Weight 65 g/m2 - 220 g/m2
- Total Media Capacity 400 sheets
- Media Feeder(s) 1 x Autoload - 150 sheets - 8.7 in x 14 in weight: 65 g/m2 - 220 g/m2,
1 x Autoload - 250 sheets - 8.7 in x 14 in weight: 65 g/m2 - 220 g/m2,
1 x Optional autoload - 550 sheets - 8.7 in x 14 in weight: 65 g/m2 - 220 g/m2
- Max Media Capacity 950 sheets
- Output Trays Capacity 300 sheets
- Monthly Duty Cycle (max) 60000 pages 60000 pages
- Modem None
- Networking Print server - Internal
- Data Link Protocol Fast Ethernet,
- Network / Transport Protocol DNS
- Remote Management Protocol IPP,
- Security Protocols & Features Apple Bonjour,
- Type None
- Copier Type None
Expansion / Connectivity
- Expansion Bays None
- Interfaces USB,
- Connections USB 2.0 - USB,
1 x Fast Ethernet USB 2.0 - RJ-45 - 4 pin USB Type B,
1 x Parallel LAN - Parallel - RJ-45,
1 x Parallel - 36 pin Centronics
- Microsoft Certifications Works with Windows Vista
- Compliant Standards ICES-003 Class B,
FCC Class B certified,
FCC Part 15,
CSA C22.2 No. 60950-1-03,
IEC 825-1/EN 60825-1 class 1,
EN55022 Class B,
Laser Class 1,
- Power Device Power supply - Internal
- Voltage Required AC 120 V
- Frequency Required 50/60 Hz
- Power Consumption Operational 450 Watt
- Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 70 Watt
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included Driver,
Xerox CentreWare IS Embedded Web Server,
Xerox CentreWare Web,
Xerox MaiLinX Alerts,
- OS Required Yellow Dog Linux 3.x ,
Apple MacOS X 10.2 or later ,
SunSoft Solaris 8 ,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 ,
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 ,
HP-UX 11.0 ,
SuSE Linux 9.2 ,
SunSoft Solaris 10 ,
Red Hat Fedora Core 1 ,
Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP ,
SuSE Linux 9.3 ,
IBM AIX 4.3.3 ,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3 ,
SunSoft Solaris 9 ,
Microsoft Windows Vista ,
- Peripheral / Interface Devices USB port,
- ENERGY STAR Yes
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year - On-site
- Min Operating Temperature 50 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 89.6 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 15 - 80%
- Sound Emission (Idle) 28.6 dB
- Sound Emission (Operating) 49.1 dB
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 15.7 in
- Depth 19.4 in
- Height 18.5 in
- Weight 60 lbs