Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Manufacturer: Apple Part number: M8712LLA
- Bottom Line:
- Take a good, hard look at Mac OS X 10.2 if you're adding a Mac to a Windows network--Jaguar's new tools can't be beat. But home users, beware the $129 upgrade price if you're not looking for networking options.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/30/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $169.99
- Reviewed by: John Rizzo
- Reviewed on: 08/21/2002
The good: Greatly improves Mac, Windows, and Internet networking; refines Web and hard drive search tool; upgrades performance and responsiveness; includes Bluetooth support; new discount for five-user licenses.
The bad: No upgrade pricing for copies of OS X purchased before July 17; bundled iChat 1.0 isn't as versatile as AIM; still no Google search in Sherlock.
The bottom line: Take a good, hard look at Mac OS X 10.2 if you're adding a Mac to a Windows network--Jaguar's new tools can't be beat. But home users, beware the $129 upgrade price if you're not looking for networking options.
Best OS. Only when compare to older Mac OS.
Summary: Window beat the Mac hand down. Who care about the new Ichat crab, we have ton of AIM clients out there for window. Networking? Window beat the Mac hand down ...
Summary: Window beat the Mac hand down. Who care about the new Ichat crab, we have ton of AIM clients out there for window. Networking? Window beat the Mac hand down since the old day. Window already master the networking aspect for years since the Mac just start to play catchup right now. Jaguar include network function such as connect to window domain clearly explain all (Everything depend on Window).
5 out of 5 users found this user opinion helpful.
Takes a little time to get used to, but pays off.
Pros: Of course, with any new thing, it takes time to get used to. Sure, the move from 9 to X may make you feel out of place, but you got to get used to it. If you want an OS the way you want it to be, make your own. Everyone has to adapt to a new OS. Once
Cons: If you want to game with the rest of the world, PC's your deal.
Pros: -excellent graphics engine -improved finder
Cons: -Where's the application menu? I don't know what's the deal with the dock, it's clumsy, screen-hogging, and takes away the originality that Mac OS Classic had. They should at least have kept the application menu in addition to the dock, so users can have
Long time Windows user -- no more
Pros: I used Microsoft products for years and know my way around the registry. I would never have switched to Mac OS 9 (or earlier), but a Unix based Mac OS X provides a nice alternative to XP. Apple got smart on this product. It's nice to have an alternativ
Faithful Mac users, please read.
Pros: What a piece of junk mac is, and OS X proves this. My wife has been using Mac for her design works for 10 years since art school, and I use it too since it's our only computer. I use PC at work and it is such a relief to go to my windows, use KAZA, Winamp
Simply the best OS on the market
Pros: It has never crashed, and I run apps all day long. Everything is VERY intuitive. If I could, I would marry it. I can't wait until Mac OS 10.3 comes out.
Cons: It is still missing a few features. Apple will implement lots of user-requested features in Mac OS 10.3. Unfortunately, Adobe has abandoned this market, and never provides updates for its products. Some companies are forced to use Adobe products, thereby
Rotten to the core!!
Pros: Tidy sum for a dying corporation to fund covert efforts on some mysterious front that will translate into more pillaging of trusting Mac user saps.
Cons: You name it..my ass hurts!!
Better than Windows
Pros: OS X v10.2 is stable, faster than 10.1, pretty easy to use, pretty, and there are great apps for it (ie.iTunes 4).
Cons: Just a few; steep system requirements, Sherlock doesn't search Google (but Safari does), and an expensive upgrade.
i can't get it to crash
Pros: the only time i need to restart is when i add or update programs. the ability to force quit a frozen program independently of other running programs is priceless. no more fiddling with all those os9 extensions, and classic mode runs my older programs seam
Cons: os x is a bit heavy and can slow down older machines (it is passable on my 400mhz g4). However, it is worth it considering how much time you save from not having to reboot-ever!
Summary: After working on a computer with Windows XP for a while, I enjoyed the OS much better than earlier Windows, but simply got used to the frequent crashing, annoying bugs ...
Summary: After working on a computer with Windows XP for a while, I enjoyed the OS much better than earlier Windows, but simply got used to the frequent crashing, annoying bugs and errors and all around difficulty in setting up a network. Once I got Jaguar, I never want to go back. The operating system NEVER crashes (and I mean NEVER), if a program fails - the whole system stays intact unlike OS 9. Anyone who has anything negative to say about Jaguar, doesn't understand the awesome potential - or hasn't worked with it long enough. With OS 10.2, Apple has proven that its OS is better than Windows.
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Part number: M8712LLA
- Description: Referred to by its code name, Jaguar, Mac OS X v10.2 is a different breed of operating system. Jaguar combines the rock-solid reliability of UNIX with the ease of use of Macintosh. This version of Mac OS X is as innovative as the computers that run it. And whether you're a Mac user who's upgrading, a Windows user who's looking at switching to the Mac or a UNIX user who loves the idea of using key applications like Microsoft Office on top of a state-of-the art BSD UNIX implementation, this is the OS for you. Mac OS X v10.2 is loaded with over 150 compelling new features - like an instant messaging client that's compatible with AOL, an enhanced Mail application that lets you filter out junk mail, an address book that's an activity center for all your contacts, and a full-featured search engine so useful that you'll soon feel lost without it. Mac OS X v10.2 also features QuickTime 6, the next-generation multimedia standard with support for MPEG-4 video. Quartz Extreme, the hardware accelerated, fully composited graphics system, gives it souped up 2D and 3D capabilities. Plus, it features a significantly enhanced Finder with spring-loaded folders. Rendezvous, a revolutionary technology that lets you create an instant network of computers and peripheral devices. Not to mention a host of features and capabilities that will impress hardcore UNIX users.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Operating System Apple MacOS X 10.2
- Version 10.2
- License pricing Standard
- License Type Complete package
- License Qty 1 user
- License Pricing Standard
- Media CD-ROM
- Package Type Retail
- Min Processor Type PowerPC G3
- Min RAM Size 128 MB
- Min Hard Drive Space 3 GB
- Peripheral / Interface Devices Graphics card,