Canon Pixma MP600
Manufacturer: Canon Part number: 1451B002
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/20/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $500.00
- Reviewed by: Felisa Yang
- Edited by: Matthew Elliott
- Reviewed on: 11/20/2006
The good: Inexpensive; high quality prints; fast print speeds overall, particularly quick with photo printing.
The bad: Scans should be improved; can't use the PictBridge port to connect USB storage devices.
The bottom line: The Canon Pixma MP600 occupies the sweet spot between quality and price. It's one of our favorite photo all-in-ones for home users.
Very good, but some problems
by monashville on January 2, 2007
Pros: Speed and output good when optimized
Cons: does poorly with non canon paper
Summary: I had a lot of trouble at first with poor picture quality. I was ready to return the printer and write nasty reviews, but as a last ditch effort I ...
Summary: I had a lot of trouble at first with poor picture quality. I was ready to return the printer and write nasty reviews, but as a last ditch effort I bought Canon brand photo paper and tried it. I never would have imagined that paper could make such an incredible difference-- the output was really good. The other papers I had used were HP Photo Premium Plus and a generic photo paper, both glossy. It's a bit disappointing to have to use canon brand paper, as it is a bit costly, but not enough to make me return the printer.
Other than above, it was easy to set up. Has many, many features-- one of the best is that it has both a paper feeding tray and a casette, so one can be loaded with letter size paper, and the other with 4x6 photo paper. Also, can be bluetooth compatible with optional add on kit (I plan to get this).
27 out of 29 users found this user opinion helpful.
Superb print quality and fast as well!
by aaybee on October 19, 2006
Pros: Excellent print quality, lots of functionality.
Cons: Doesn't have wireless connection.
Summary: Canon have done a fantastic job with this All-in-One unit. The print quality is excellent, the speed is fast, the user interface is good (once you get used to it), ...
Summary: Canon have done a fantastic job with this All-in-One unit. The print quality is excellent, the speed is fast, the user interface is good (once you get used to it), and the machine is nicely finished.
You can load paper in two different places in the machine and then swap between them with just the touch of a button. This is great for mixed printing jobs; for example you can have photo paper in the casette and plain paper in the auto feeder and just select which one you want it to use at the moment of printing. The selection can be made via a switch on the printer or alternatively from the printer driver software.
The 2.5" LCD screen is very clear and can be viewed from very wide angles.
The machine has enormous functionality even when not connected to a computer. For instance you can print photos from a digital camera or from a memory card and you have a good choice of layouts. As well you can crop and resize images and even change the brightness, contrast, and hue!
Also the unit uses individual ink cartridges which hold a reasonable quantity of ink (13ml) and can be purchased at reasonable prices - especially on eBay.
The machine oozes quality and I would highly recommend it. Note however that this All-In-One does not include faxing capabilities and nor does it have an automatic document feeder. If you need these features then have a look at the Canon MP830. Originally I was going to buy the MP830 but it is quite a bit larger and quite a bit more expensive.
I am very pleased with my choice of the MP600.
13 out of 13 users found this user opinion helpful.
best printer ever purchased
by yuca2k1 on November 6, 2006
Pros: fast,beautiful design,bottom cassette feeder,5 inktanks,gorgesous picture quality
Cons: if your looking for a small printer look elsewhere
Summary: this printer was one of the best choices I've made this year on a tech purchase,although a little big this printer shines in its features. the little things ...
Summary: this printer was one of the best choices I've made this year on a tech purchase,although a little big this printer shines in its features. the little things like the plastic scroll wheel for the menu,and the bottom cassette feeder for loading another form of paper are extremely useful.the copier works as it should, media slots on the front,and the ability to print from your cell phone!!!!nice gui for the menu, and the print settings work like a charm,most noticable is the red eye reduction. the printer is built to last no shaking wobbliness going on lifting the hood for ink access feels like lifting the hood to a cadillac! definately built very sturdy, but with sturdiness comes its size big and pretty heavy,i dont have an office to put this in so this fills up my nightstand with just enough space for an ink tank or two
8 out of 8 users found this user opinion helpful.
Overall good printer
by hjklaus on March 18, 2007
Pros: Fast printing. Good quality prints.
Cons: Won't print if any cartridge is empty.
Summary: I like the printer, but I have two problems with it. First, it refuses to recognize that one of the ink cartridges is there. When this happens, it will not ...
Summary: I like the printer, but I have two problems with it. First, it refuses to recognize that one of the ink cartridges is there. When this happens, it will not print, even though my print job does not need that color.
Second problem is related -- if any ink cartridge is empty, the printer refuses to print. This is a big pain.
While printing is fast, "preparing" to print, start-up, shut-down are very slow. These would be a minor inconvenience if I didn't have the problem mentioned above.
7 out of 9 users found this user opinion helpful.
Excellent photo printer... Finally!
by polakmaly on December 7, 2006
Pros: Prints borderless 4x6 photos perfectly and quickly
Cons: Mac software seems a bit lagging behind
Summary: I just printed some Disney vacation photos from iPhoto, and they look very sharp and crispy, high contrast, great shadows, really exceptional. Finally a printer that my wife approves, so ...
Summary: I just printed some Disney vacation photos from iPhoto, and they look very sharp and crispy, high contrast, great shadows, really exceptional. Finally a printer that my wife approves, so no more dealing with commercial photo labs.
The Mac software, at first glance seems like a reheated version of some old program for Mac OS 9. It took maybe 10 minutes to install it on the new iMac. And a surprise, I actually had to Restart my Mac to finish the installation. Windows users will probably find it amusing that I complain, but on a Mac, you're just not supposed to restart whenever you install something new. Reminds me of old days with a PC On the same subject, one little tiny stupid thing... on the nice printer preview screen (you'll like the wheel, btw) whenever the printer communicates with my iMac, it refers to it as a "PC".
Another small bummer is that the bluetooth option costs some 100$ - a very expensive option, but I don't really need it.
Other than that, it's my first day, and I am really impressed. I already had Epson, Brother, HP and Xerox, and this is my first Canon. I trusted Canon, because I love my Canon camera, and it looks like I made the right choice.
5 out of 5 users found this user opinion helpful.
Also encountering cartridge issues...
by IIsharperII on September 6, 2007
Pros: Slick design, great user interface
Cons: somewhat bulky, expensive, errors reading cartridges - therefore refuses to print 70% of the time!
Summary: I'm disappointed that after only 4 days use I too have encountered the cartridge malfunction... It only reads the magenta cartridge 30% of the time, and I have to ...
Summary: I'm disappointed that after only 4 days use I too have encountered the cartridge malfunction... It only reads the magenta cartridge 30% of the time, and I have to fight with it the whole time to get it to do so. And like others have said, it refuses to print what so ever when there is a cartridge error, and therefore renders the printer feature useless.
For a printer of this price and rating I expected alot more from it, and I hope to exchange it for a better printer very soon.
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Amazing for the price
by Foopers on December 12, 2006
Pros: Sleek design, good printing, solid build
Cons: Haven't found any yet
Summary: For the price this has to get 10! I can't believe that a few years ago I paid 2.5 times as much for a Canon printer (just a ...
Summary: For the price this has to get 10! I can't believe that a few years ago I paid 2.5 times as much for a Canon printer (just a printer) that printed OK but was crap at feeding paper. This does everything I need superbly and despite what another reviewer says I think it looks pretty too. When you close it all up it is sleek and easily dusted. It's not small but the footprint is not much bigger than any flatbed scanner. I still can't believe how cheap it is.
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
best all in one on the market
by bigdbos on October 18, 2006
Pros: Great photo quality, fast, easy to use
Cons: scanning speed average
Summary: I own many all in one units and In the past usually stuck to hp serious but since i first bought the mp500 even the photo quality impressed me more ...
Summary: I own many all in one units and In the past usually stuck to hp serious but since i first bought the mp500 even the photo quality impressed me more then the hps canon showed finer detail and more vivid colors (sometimes maybe a slight over vivid with some color copies but still stunning) the mp600 is also more compact then the old mp500 with the screen built into the scanner lid versus pertruding from it copies are very crisp and tru to the originals scanning speed is only average to others that i have used in comparision to the hp models i have used. another thing I like is the ink tanks produce high volume hp my be cheaper to replace but look at he ink quanities canons hold almost 3x more ink then hp new all in one photo printers with individual ink tanks (even considering hp has more colors and tanks) I am very pleased with this printer and right not feel its the best photo all in one printer for the money or even the hp models that are $100 more
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Two months later it broke
by rdorian on August 20, 2007
Pros: fairly sleek appearance
Cons: not reliable, print quality mediocre
Summary: Within two months of purchasing the Pixma MP600, the printer broke. The paper feeder stopped working. It would not allow the paper to roll in, causing it to jam and ...
Summary: Within two months of purchasing the Pixma MP600, the printer broke. The paper feeder stopped working. It would not allow the paper to roll in, causing it to jam and unable to print. Canon did replace it, but with a used, scratched one. I also found that when I used glossy printing paper, the ink ran. I would not buy this printer again.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Geat all-in-one with some drawbacks
by nroos on August 2, 2007
Pros: Fast scanning and supeiior photos considering it is an all-in-one
Cons: Bluetooth does not work with scanner. Default setting for printer which uses automatic paper feed cannot be changed so in order to use the cassete paper must go through 2 xtra steps everytime.
Summary: Good software easy to use.
Summary: Good software easy to use.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Canon
- Part number: 1451B002
- Description: Advanced All-in-One features and mini photo lab functionality offer fast, superior quality photo prints. An intuitive user interface with color screen and Easy-Scroll Wheel make operation extra easy. With a crystal clear 6.3cm TFT screen and Easy-Scroll Wheel, the PIXMA MP600 makes operation easier than ever before. Simply spin the Easy-Scroll Wheel to select options on the screen. View, select, edit and print digital photos at a touch - or copy and scan effortlessly - via the new user-friendly interface. The high 9600x2400dpi print resolution ensures detailed and vibrant photo lab quality output. Superior quality is achieved by Canon's FINE print head technology which delivers microscopic ink droplets as small as 1pl. ContrastPLUS technology with an additional dye based black ink brings extra depth and contrast to photos. Print a photo lab quality 10x15cm borderless photo in approximately 28 seconds in Standard mode. Enjoy rapid borderless photo printing and copying on formats from a small credit card size right up to A4. Benefit from a fast copy speed of up to 30cpm in mono and up to 24cpm in color. Dual Color Gamut Processing Technology ensures faithful re-prints for copying your photos. Print photos directly from PictBridge compatible cameras, camcorders and memory cards - without switching on your PC. Or print photos direct from mobile camera phones via the IrDA interface or the optional Bluetooth Unit. The built-in scanner has a 2400x4800dpi resolution for crisp and clear color scans. A USB2.0 Hi-Speed interface speeds up image transfer to your PC. This smart Photo All-in-One provides printing directly onto inkjet printable DVDs or CDs and automatic double-sided printing and copying. The sheet feeder and cassette can hold both photo paper and standard paper with easy switching between the two.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Device Type Printer / copier / scanner
- Printing Technology Ink-jet - Color - Photo printer
- Display Diagonal Size 2.5"
- PC Connection Availability Yes
- PC Connection USB 2.0,
- Office Machine Features Print from memory card
- Supported Flash Memory Memory Stick PRO,
SD Memory Card,
- Max Copying Speed up to 30 ppm (mono) / up to 24 ppm (color)
- Max Document Enlargement 400 %
- Max Document Reduction 25 %
- Maximum Copies 99
- Exposure Control Automatic
- Copying Features 4 on 1,
Fit to page,
2 on 1,
- Nozzle Configuration 512 nozzles (pigment black), 2 x 1024 nozzles (cyan, magenta), 2 x 512 (yellow, black)
- Max Printing Resolution up to 600 x 600 dpi (mono) / up to 9600 x 2400 dpi (color)
- Max Printing Speed up to 30 ppm (mono) / up to 24 ppm (color)
- Ink Cartridge Configuration 5 individual ink tanks
- Ink Palette Supported (Colors) cyan, magenta, yellow, black, pigment black
- Color 5-ink
- Minimum Ink Droplet Size 1 pl
- Scan Element CIS
- Optical Resolution 2400 x 4800 dpi
- Interpolated Resolution 19200 x 19200 dpi
- Color Depth 24 bit
- Color Depth (Internal) 48 bit
Document & Media Handling
- Max Original Size 8.5 in x 11.7 in
- Max Media Size Legal Legal (8.5 in x 14 in)
- Speed Details Printing : up to 30 ppm - B/W fast,
Printing : up to 24 ppm - Color fast,
Copying : up to 30 ppm - B/W,
Copying : up to 24 ppm - Color
- Interfaces USB 2.0,
- Operating System Support Apple Mac OS X 10.2.8 - 10.4.x,
MS Windows ME,
MS Windows 98,
MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000
- Software Included Drivers & utilities,
ScanSoft OmniPage SE,
- Direct Printing Specifications PictBridge
- Microsoft Certifications Certified for Windows Vista
- Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year,
Technical support - Phone consulting - 1 year
CNET Labs' Benchmarks
- CNET Labs Color Scanning Speed Test (pages per minute) 4.36
- CNET Labs Gray Scale Scanning Speed Test (pages per minute) 4.44
- CNET Labs Photo Speed Test (pages per minute) 2.33
- CNET Labs Presentation Speed Test (pages per minute) 2.93
- CNET Labs Printer Graphics Speed Test (pages per minute) 2.32
- CNET Labs Text Speed Test (pages per minute) 7.88
- Canon PGI 5 Black Twin Pack - ink tank (34667550)37.99
- Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss SG-201 - semi-gloss photo paper - 20 sheet(s) (35130031)9.99 - 29.26
- Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss SG-201 - semi-gloss photo paper - 50 sheet(s) (35130035)29.95 - 47.14
- Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss SG-201 - semi-gloss photo paper - 50 sheet(s) (35130034)79.00 - 125.03
- Silex Pricom C-6700WG - print server (33722386)97.00 - 130.33