MFC-8840D Laser Flatbed Multi-Function Center.
Manufacturer: Brother International Part number: MFC8840D
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 3.5 stars out of 8 reviews
- The MFC-8840D is a 5-in-1 flatbed laser multi-function center machine combining performance, connectivity, and reliability. The MFC-8840D is a full-feature fax, and an up to 21 ppm laser printer, which prints at up to 2400 x 600 dpi (HQ1200). Standard duplex printing for two-sided document printing, fax receiving and copy output. An up to 21 cpm, legal-size convenience copier and ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 04/17/2014Refurbished
Pros: I picked up the 8840D on Thursday. By Monday, I had made over 9700 copies replacing the toner once and with one printer paper jam. There were several feeder jams, but I was using various sized paper so I'm not as surprised. It copied single sided very
Cons: 2 Sided to 2 Sided copies are not a simple matter to figure out, but it is in the manual. If you want to network it you can use a standard print server but you cannot scan to your PC unless you purchase their print server or network interface. The stand
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Excellent Multifunction Machine!
by robthm on October 10, 2005
Pros: Fast printing, duplexing, crisp fonts, features
Cons: Small paper tray
Summary: This is an excellent multifunction machine. Very suitable to a small business or home office. Professional grade with duplexing capability. Only con is that the paper tray is on the ...
Summary: This is an excellent multifunction machine. Very suitable to a small business or home office. Professional grade with duplexing capability. Only con is that the paper tray is on the small side and only holds 250 - 20 lb. sheets. Otherwise a great investment. Very satisfied.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
by jeff_winking on April 25, 2005
Pros: Fast, remarkably quiet, lots of options, nice integration of hardware & software
Cons: Bulky, slow color scanner
Summary: I've only had this for a week and have yet to test all of its functions, but thus far, I have had absolutely no problems. Hardware and software installation ...
Summary: I've only had this for a week and have yet to test all of its functions, but thus far, I have had absolutely no problems. Hardware and software installation worked perfectly (XP). First page out from sleeping is about 20 seconds, from stand-by it's about 9 seconds (for text). After that, I get about 8 pages per minute for duplexing (4 double-sided sheets) and around 18 per minute for single-sided. I'm very pleased with the speed, since I upgraded from a samsung that printed about 15 pages per minute with a 50 second first-page-out time (and a very loud stand-by).
I'm surprised by how much space they allocated to speed-dial numbers (20 buttons with shift for total of 40). I only do occasional faxing, as scanning to e-mail is much quicker, cheaper and reliable (I'm still waiting for fax machines to die out). A simple phonebook function would have been better.
The scanner's on the slow side for high-quality color, but for moderate resolution and black and white, it's does the job relatively quickly.
Overall, it's a wonderful machine that offers much more functionality than comparably priced multi-functions.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Not supported by Windows XP!
Pros: On the rare occassion it works, it is fast, convenient, a prints great.
Cons: "not digitally signed" Windows refuses to support it. The driver keeps conflicting with something. I've reinstalled it 8 times, it works for a day and then nothing.
1 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Solid Machine for the Price
by miho007 on October 4, 2006
Pros: Good print speeds, dependable fax feed, great all in one
Cons: Scan software capabilites useless for digitally archiving
Summary: Overall this $400 Machine makes for a great Budget office machine. Dependable, easy to install, good fax feeder that rarely jams, color/ BW scanner, network ready, it simply does what ...
Summary: Overall this $400 Machine makes for a great Budget office machine. Dependable, easy to install, good fax feeder that rarely jams, color/ BW scanner, network ready, it simply does what it is supposed to do. The one reason that I give it a 8 and not a 10 is for the following reason. We purchased the machine with the hopes to digitally archive most of our documents. However, the software engine that scans documents on this machine produces documents that average about 500KB per your avaerage text page. If you need to archive documents digitally this machine will absolutely not work for you. At that size per text page you couldn't e-mail more than an 8 page document. I have used HP Digital senders before that compress normal text pages to 30 KB. From everyone that I have spoken to there is no way for me to further compress these files for storage or for sending via e-mail. Since I consistently work with documents 20-50 pages long, I can not use this machine to scan because I would not be able to e-mail it nor would I want to use it as a digital archiver for fear of filling up my Hard Drive in 3 months. Otherwise, a solid machine.
great for a small mortgage broker
by japanee on July 3, 2005
Pros: fast printing, very little paper jams, dual paper tray for legal paper
Cons: scanning could be better
Summary: great for people who need legal sized paper for printing and receiving faxes. this machine prints fast. i print front/back and the quality is fine, but keep in mind ...
Summary: great for people who need legal sized paper for printing and receiving faxes. this machine prints fast. i print front/back and the quality is fine, but keep in mind that it's only for documents.
buy the high capacity toner.
Good, but disappointing
Pros: For $450, getting a fax + copier + scanner + duplex laser printer is a pretty good deal. I considered buying higher quality printer, scanner and faxmodem components separately and then using my computer to integrate them, but there is something to be sai
Cons: My biggest requirement in a printer was built-in duplex (double-sided printing). I couldn't find another laser duplex multifunction device for under $1000. (For those deciding, if black & white print quality matters to you, do NOT buy an ink jet - o
Don't waste your Time looking for anything else -
Pros: I had initially considered the Brother unit but was distracted on the Cannon MF5550, due to the lower price - BAD CHOICE --- took the Cannon back in 2 days – Quality was not there, and could not use it on a network. Brother unit far exceeded my expectat
Cons: Had some issues with the network and scanner software on my lap top, but Brother Tech support was helpful in resolving the issue. Only problem I have encounter is trying to upgrade the memory - the old 100 pin type boards are a little harder to find.
- Manufacturer: Brother International
- Part number: MFC8840D
- Description: The MFC-8840D is a 5-in-1 flatbed laser multi-function center machine combining performance, connectivity, and reliability. The MFC-8840D is a full-feature fax, and an up to 21 ppm laser printer, which prints at up to 2400 x 600 dpi (HQ1200). Standard duplex printing for two-sided document printing, fax receiving and copy output. An up to 21 cpm, legal-size convenience copier and a 9600 dpi (interpolated) resolution color flatbed scanner are standard. Also included is PC Fax capability, allowing you to send and receive faxes directly from your PC. A standard 50-sheet multipurpose tray, optional second paper tray and network capability, makes this a robust solution for your business. Both USB and parallel ports are standard, so the MFC-8840D can work with all Windows and Mac environments.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Device Type Fax / copier / printer / scanner
- Fax Type Plain paper
- Printing Technology Laser - Monochrome
- Display 5 lines x 22 characters
- PC Connection Availability Yes
- PC Connection USB 2.0,
- Standard Memory 32 MB 32 MB
- Max Supported Memory 160 MB 160 MB
- Max Copying Speed up to 21 ppm
- Max Copying Resolution up to 1200 x 600 dpi
- Max Document Enlargement 400 %
- Max Document Reduction 25 %
- Maximum Copies 99
- Automatic Duplexing Yes
- Max Printing Resolution up to 2400 x 600 dpi
- Max Printing Speed up to 21 ppm
- Printer Drivers / Emulations PCL 6,
- Optical Resolution 600 x 2400 dpi
- Interpolated Resolution 9600 x 9600 dpi
- Compatibility Super G3
- Max Transmission Speed 33.6 Kbps
- Data Compression System MH,
- Fax Resolutions 203 x 98 dpi,
203 x 196 dpi,
203 x 392 dpi
- Reception Memory Capacity 600 pages
- PC Faxing Yes
Fax Machine Features
- Error Correction Mode (ECM) Yes
- Telephone / Fax Switch Yes
- Broadcast Transmission 390 stations
- Features Fax forwarding,
Document & Media Handling
- Max Original Size Legal (8.5 in x 14 in)
- Original Type Sheets
- Document Feeder Capacity 50 sheets
- Max Media Size Legal Legal (8.5 in x 14 in)
- Supported Media Type Plain paper
- Standard Media Capacity 250 sheets
- Max Media Capacity 550 sheets
- Bypass Feeder Capacity 50 sheets
- Document & Media Handling Details Input tray - 250 sheets,
ADF - 50 sheets,
Bypass tray - 50 sheets
- Interfaces USB 2.0,
- Operating System Support Apple Mac OS 8.6 or later,
MS Windows ME,
Apple Mac OS X 10.1,
MS Windows 98,
MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000,
MS Windows 95,
Apple Mac OS X 10.2.1 or later,
MS Windows NT 4.0,
Apple Mac OS 9
- Software Included Drivers & utilities,
Presto! PageManager for Mac,
- Microsoft Certifications Certified for Windows Vista
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 20.9 in
- Depth 17.5 in
- Height 18.5 in
- Weight 39.9 lbs
- Manufacturer profile
- Browse Brother International products on Shopper.com
- Manufacturer:Brother International
100 Somerset Corporate Blvd., Bridgewater, NJ 08807
- Phone: 1-908-704-1700
- Fax: 1-908-704-8235