Xerox WorkCentre M20i - multifunction ( fax / copier / printer / scanner ) ( B/W )
Manufacturer: Xerox Part number: M20I
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 2.5 stars out of 3 reviews
- Meet the WorkCentre M20i copier-printer: the Xerox newest business class machines. It performs basic office tasks with intelligence, and demonstrates a knack for high-level performance, day in and day out. The tools you need, at three feature-rich levels…all of which sit comfortably on a desktop.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 09/01/2014Refurbished
Good so far, but it's expensive if you don't copy or print a lot
by jonjoey on August 20, 2005
Pros: Autofeed tray can handle lots of pages, duplex printing is fast
Cons: It's noisey/loud when operating, the software for scanning sucks, expensive
Summary: I bought this machine about 1 month ago for my home office. I print contracts, send/recieve many FAXes, require legal size paper handling and needed a good copier that ...
Summary: I bought this machine about 1 month ago for my home office. I print contracts, send/recieve many FAXes, require legal size paper handling and needed a good copier that can handle 40-60 pages in the auto-feed tray. I also wanted two paper trays that could hold a lot of paper. I tried one of the lower end HP (7100?something) and it was .. lets just say a bad experience.
In a nutshell, this multi feature product seems to work well for what I need. If you run a home business, put it away from you because it's warm until it goes into energy-save mode. You can program the time-out period, so that's cool. It's also loud when printing, so make sure you aren't bothering anyomne when working from home at night or in the morning.
The scanning software isn't very good. it comes with the PaperPort program as well as OmniPage - both programs I haven't used before. The scanning requires that you place the document in the autofeeder tray aand not on the glass itself. I don't like that because it can scan "crooked" if it doesn't feed perfectly. Also, note the following:
1. The output tray deposits docs to the left, but loads to the right.
2. The cords (USB, power, printer-cable, phone jack) are on the left side of the machine and NOT on the back - more convenient from my perspective.
3. This machine is expensive - $2,200+ when adding the optional second paper tray and a toner cartridge to replace the half-life one it comes with.
4. I don't require network printing, but it does support that feature (M20i unit only). I connect via the USB port. It saw it immediately when I hooked up out of the BOX on my XP-based computer.
This machine is large and also heavy - 50+ pounds. it's much larger than a typical HP/Brother FAX/Print/Copy machine that you'd buy at COMPUSA. I purchased this from an authorized dealer WHO I KNEW. Also, I had to buy a printer cart because this machine isn't made to sit on your desk - or even under it. If you have the two trays installed, you should know that it's very tall when sitting on a normal size SoHo desk, so keep that in mind.
Bottom line - it does what it was made for. It's a heavy duty, small business copier that also sends/receives FAXes and scans.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Very Poor Choice if You Are Networked
by LarryL on June 15, 2005
Pros: The copy function works OK
Cons: The Only Function that Works over a Network is Printing
Summary: While this machine might seem like a very good buy for a small office network, it really is not. What they fail to tell you up front is that the ...
Summary: While this machine might seem like a very good buy for a small office network, it really is not. What they fail to tell you up front is that the only function that works over ethernet is printing. To use any of the other functions this machine must be connected directly to a workstation via USB completly defeating any network usefullness. It does have decent printing features, but you can get better in a much smaller package for a lot less money, The same with plain old copying. The only thing to come close to justifying the price is network connectivity, but, except for simple printing, it DOESN'T WORK OVER A NETWORK. This is just NOT a networkable multifunction device. It's like having a seperate printer, copier, scanner, and FAX. The only one of those likely to work on a network is the printer. Same with the M20i and you can buy the 4 seperate machines for less that the M20i.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Loaded with Features
by iatech on July 21, 2005
Pros: Feature Rich
Cons: Printer function is only available function from the network
Summary: We have purchased one of these and have set to buy 10 more this year. We have 10 people using it as a printer, copier, fax machine and email. So ...
Summary: We have purchased one of these and have set to buy 10 more this year. We have 10 people using it as a printer, copier, fax machine and email. So far it has been very reliable. The only complaint I have is that the lock for the scanner is not in a good place. The lock is located underneath the scanner which is where you put your hand in to grab your print jobs and so on. Every once in a while, the switch gets halfway locked or fully locked on accident and makes it so the copier/fax does not work or sends partial copies/faxes. This is the only thing I can see that is not good about this machine.
0 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Xerox
- Part number: M20I
- Description: Meet the WorkCentre M20i copier-printer: the Xerox newest business class machines. It performs basic office tasks with intelligence, and demonstrates a knack for high-level performance, day in and day out. The tools you need, at three feature-rich levels…all of which sit comfortably on a desktop.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Device Type Fax / copier / printer / scanner
- Copier Type Digital
- Fax Type Plain paper
- Printing Technology Laser - Monochrome
- Monthly Duty Cycle (max) 20000 impressions
- PC Connection Availability Yes
- PC Connection LAN,
- Standard Memory 80 MB 80 MB
- Max Copying Speed up to 22 ppm
- Max Copying Resolution up to 600 x 600 dpi
- Max Document Enlargement 400 %
- Max Document Reduction 25 %
- Maximum Copies 999
- Automatic Duplexing Yes
- Max Printing Resolution up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Max Printing Speed up to 22 ppm
- Printer Drivers / Emulations PCL 6,
- Optical Resolution 600 x 600 dpi
- Interpolated Resolution 4800 x 4800 dpi
- Max Transmission Speed 33.6 Kbps
- Data Compression System JPEG,
- Fax Resolutions 400 x 400 dpi
- Max Battery Backup Time 100 hour(s)
Document & Media Handling
- Max Original Size Legal (8.5 in x 14 in)
- Original Type Sheets
- Document Feeder Capacity 50 sheets
- Min Media Size 5 in x 7 in
- Max Media Size Legal Legal (8.5 in x 14 in)
- Min Media Weight 60 g/m2
- Max Media Weight 163 g/m2
- Supported Media Type Labels,
- Standard Media Capacity 550 sheets
- Max Media Capacity 1200 sheets
- Bypass Feeder Capacity 100 sheets
- Output Trays Capacity 250 sheets
- Document & Media Handling Details ADF - 50 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in),
Bypass tray - 100 sheets size: 5 in x 7 in - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) weight: 60 g/m2 - 163 g/m2,
Input tray - 550 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in) weight: 60 g/m2 - 90 g/m2,
Output tray - 250 sheets - Legal (8.5 in x 14 in)
- Speed Details Printing : up to 22 ppm ( Letter A ) - B/W draft,
Copying : up to 22 ppm ( Letter A ) - B/W draft,
Printing : up to 21 ppm ( A4 ) - B/W draft,
Copying : up to 21 ppm ( A4 ) - B/W draft
- Interfaces USB,
- Operating System Support MS Windows ME,
MS Windows 98,
MS Windows XP,
MS Windows 2000,
MS Windows NT 4.0,
Apple Mac OS
- Software Included Drivers & utilities
- Power AC 110 V ( 50/60 Hz )
- Power Consumption Operational 450 Watt
- Power Consumption Sleep 35 Watt
- First Copy Out Time B/W 8 sec
- Included Accessories USB cable
- Consumables Included Cartridge ( Black ) - up to 4000 pages
- Microsoft Certifications Compatible with Windows 7
- Compliant Standards UL,
- ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
Dimensions & Weight (Shipping)
- Shipping Width 21 in
- Shipping Depth 26 in
- Shipping Height 25.2 in
- Shipping Weight 71 lbs
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 21.3 in
- Depth 17.4 in
- Height 19.2 in
- Weight 57.3 lbs