Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage Link
Manufacturer: Cisco Part number: NSLU2
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 04/17/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $129.97
- Reviewed by: Brian Nadel and Brian Nadel
- Edited by: Allen Fear
- Reviewed on: 08/13/2004
The good: Supports two USB storage devices.
The bad: Low throughput; product must reformat new drives; lacks support for printers, optical drives, and some hard drives.
The bottom line: Linksys's NSLU2 is an inexpensive way to add a hard drive or two to a network, but its slow response makes it a poor all-around solution.
Works for what it is intended for
Pros: Pretty easy to setup. Took about 10 minutes excluding format time. I have two drives, 250G WD and 200G Seagate in generic external USB boxes and both work fine. The most stress I put on the device was two inbound Trueimage drive images at once. No pro
Cons: The fact the device formats disks that cannot be read by Windows is not a big deal as that is not what the device was intended for. Yes it is somewhat slow. Yes RAID1 would be nice. Yes the admin interface is clunky. And finally gig ethernet would be
First Linksys Product that I hate
Pros: Easy to set up.
Cons: I own a half dozen linksys network products that I love. This one I can't stand. Throughput is horribly slow. If all you want to do is backup relatively small (up to a gigabyte max) files it's fine but for mass backups forget it. Now I can't figure ou
rocks if you're tech-minded
Pros: runs linux, so can be hacked to run open source firmware and additional applications
Cons: none that i've identified so far. the complaints about not using any HDD are because it's a linux system and formats drives for the linux ext3 filesystem. however, with open-source firmware you _can_ use windows-formatted drives. google around.
WORKED HOW IT SAID IT WOULD.
Pros: does exactly what it says it does. it goes on your network for storage. NOT MOBILE STORAGE. plays music and video from drive with no problem. easily formatted with a 250g hard drive. make sure to use your WEP if wireless.
Cons: not very fast with the wireless 11mbps connection, but fast when connected with wire.
Doesn't work with Windows Compatible Formatting
Pros: Let's you put disk drives on a wireless network.
Cons: Drive can not have a Microsoft Windows format such as NTFS or FAT32. This is a deal breaker!
This devecie takes some know how
Pros: I bought the device primarily because the box said that it woulg give me accessability to one of my hard drives from the internet, so I did. When I brought the device home and opened it up I did not realize the challenge that I was about to go through. I
Cons: Very difficult to set up. The directions and user guide definitely need some work.
Pros: it arrived...
Cons: cant deal with certain USB drives/chipsets, old kernel, linux is a hack on this box, where should I stop.......
Extremely slow data throughput.
Pros: Nifty little device for a very small office.
Cons: Extremely slow. Must reformat drive to work with the device. Device fails or decide not to use it, the USB drive you formatted is now trash. Data can not be read by Windows. Yikes! Should mention that somewhere in the documentation.
Works well for what it is
Pros: Supports 2x Maxtor 250gb Good backup utility Works with Win and UNIX Hackable
Cons: Could be faster but better than nothing
Cons: Could not format a 4 gig drive, called support they told me to format fat first, still did not work. Cannot connect on USB1, only 2. Also has a static IP address out of box, so I had to reconfig my network to get connected to the device.
- Manufacturer: Cisco
- Part number: NSLU2
- Description: Now you can quickly and easily add gigabytes of storage space onto your network with the Network Storage Link from Linksys. This tiny network appliance connects USB 2.0 hard drives directly to your Ethernet network. You can connect up to two stand-alone USB disk drives of any size, and access them from anywhere on your network. You can even plug a USB flash disk into the Network Storage Link, for a convenient way of accessing your portable data files. The Network Storage Link can also be set up so that your storage devices are accessible from the Internet - files can be easily downloaded via your web browser. Your files can be available publicly, or create password-protected accounts for authorized users. Installation of the Network Storage Link is simple - just plug it directly into your 10/100 Ethernet network, and attach your USB 2.0 hard drives or flash disk. It can self-configure to your network via DHCP or you can use the built-in utility to manually configure it. With the speedy USB 2.0 interface, you'll get quick response times with even your largest files. The Network Storage Link features built-in disk utilities, accessible through your web browser. You can format new disk drives, and scan drives for errors. The built-in backup program lets you schedule full, incremental, or synchronization backups of your network drives to the Network Storage Link, or vice versa. It will even send you an email message when a hard drive gets nearly full, completely full, or has an error. The Network Storage Link is a fast, simple, flexible and economical way to add storage to your network.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Host Connectivity Ethernet 10/100
- Width 0.8 in
- Depth 3.6 in
- Height 5.1 in
- Weight 0.4 lbs
- Built-in Devices LED panel
- Bus Type Fast Ethernet
- Interface Type Hi-Speed USB
- Supported Devices Hard drive
- Max Storage Devices Qty 2
- Type None
Optical Storage (2nd)
- Type None
- Video Output None
- Type Network adapter - Integrated
- Data Link Protocol Ethernet ,
- Network / Transport Protocol TCP/IP
- Remote Management Protocol HTTP
- Compliant Standards IEEE 802.3,
- Cables Included 1 x Network cable - 6 ft
- Compliant Standards EN55022,
ICES-003 Class B,
FCC Part 15 B,
- Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included Drivers & Utilities
- OS Required Microsoft Windows 2000 / NT4.0,
Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME/XP
- Service & Support 2 years warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 2 years
- Min Operating Temperature 41 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 80%