Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T - 11.6" - Atom Z2760 - Windows 8 32-bit - 64 GB Flash - 2 GB RAM
Manufacturer: Samsung Part number: XE500T1C-A04US
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 3.0 stars out of 2 reviews
- Take advantage of longer battery life and a blazing-fast Intel Atom processor, featuring S Pen functionality and touch screen, the Samsung Smart PC connects you to your PC - and your world - as never before. Connect your Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T with multiple compatible devices via the Internet. Use S manager to update and download AllShare technology to ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Best Buy|| || See Site || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 09/02/2014
Great Tablet! Atom Processor Exceeds Expectations!
by rw144 on December 4, 2012
Pros: Great battery life! 8-10 hours easily,
Full sized USB port, mini HDMI port, micro SD memory port
Great screen, S pen digitizer, stereo speaker placed well, and sounds great, Windows 8 very responsive, Very peppy dual core Atom processor, yes peppy!.
Cons: Once in a while when coming out of sleep mode I have to refresh the wireless connection since it stalls with a limited connection. Windows network diagnostic handles that as well. Screens a finger print magnet, but aren't all touch screens?
Summary: I own a second generation Ipad, an Android Viewsonic G Tablet, and this Samsung tablet blows them both away. Great battery life! I charge it once day and use it ...
Summary: I own a second generation Ipad, an Android Viewsonic G Tablet, and this Samsung tablet blows them both away. Great battery life! I charge it once day and use it all day. I am writing this review on it right now. I used to own a Asus netbook so I was leery of the Atom Processor since it would lag some times. So far this new Atom has been very peppy and more than exceeds my expectations. Connected perfectly to my home network and my Brother network printer. Runs my Vulkano Player flawlessly, handles streaming video and playback perfectly. Great sound for a small tablet. Runs all my Windows XP and Win 7 programs with outa hitch. Lastly finally a tablet that runs a full version of Microsoft's Office. I did a network install of Office 2007 Enterprise addition without a hitch. MS Outlook at last!!!!!, along with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and more!!!!! The S pen digitizer works great, love it with MS journal that converts my hand writing to text. Built in voice recognition works well. Very solid screen. Windows 8 has been a real pleasant surprise, very smooth, responsive and intuitive.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
DO NOT BUY - SAMSUNG BIOS DRIVER IS CRIPPLED
by ChristopherS90 on July 4, 2013
Pros: - the screen is not too small to work comfortably
- full USB 2.0 in the tablet
- wacom stylus
- stylus silo in the tablet
- if it wasn't for the connected standby drain, battery life is ~10h, which is great for windows.
Cons: - limited storage
- no battery in the dock
- small angle of tilt when docked
- the screen should be matte
- no full HD screen (SOC limitation)
- graphics hardware - weak, with old directX
- irreplacible battery
- just 2gb of ram (SOC limitation)
Summary: The tablet itself is great, but Samsung is lazy with an update which would fix crazy battery drain during sleep ("connected standby"). It's a little bit of bad luck, ...
Summary: The tablet itself is great, but Samsung is lazy with an update which would fix crazy battery drain during sleep ("connected standby"). It's a little bit of bad luck, but it's easy to find forum posts from people having a couple tens of percent battery drain overnight. In my case - 30% battery drain over 6 hour period, with disabled wireless connectivity (airplane mode) and all programs shut down.. so it should sleep nicely and behave, but after the last BIOS update (which fixed the problem with the tablet not waking up from sleep sometimes and requiring a hard reset) there's this "new" (actually months old) problem, this whole battery drain thing.There's been two recent updates of BIOS drivers from Samsung, the first one messed my battery mater - device did not display proper charge percentage, it was frozen on a figure from the moment of last charger plug-in. The second update fixed the battery meter back to the state of usability and it also finally fixed my connected standby issues. Instead of +5%/hour drain (half the battery overnight), I get 0.3%-1.1% tops, per hour. Which is way better, now I can leave the device to idle out with apps open and it will sleep properly, I don't have to shutdown.
If it wasn't for this, the device is superb. There used to be problems with wacom stylus handwrite quality, but Samsung fixed this early on, then wifi connectivity problems, fixed too, also problems with keyboard/docking station (connection breaking during typing - insanely irritating), this too is much better after updates.. so I hope Samsung will not ... over early windows 8 tablet buyers. They've got quite a lot of reports about this BIOS and battery drain problem.. if they get their act together, for me, Smart PC 500T is the best windows 8 tablet of the first generation. I use it everyday on lectures, wacom stylus+office 2013 (onenote!) + docking station with keyboard combo rocks. Life (almost) without paper.
The added advantage is that it's possible to handwrite notes (or just use it as a tablet) during charging - the charger port is not only in the docking station, but also there's another one in the tablet itself. So you can handwrite 24/7 - which is way better than, say, Asus TF810C - this one needs to be put into the docking station for a few hours to recharge.
Anyway, if Samsung doesn't act more responsible on the BIOS case and ignores users with 'already got your money dude' (new generation of Intel Haswell CPUs are out and here's a need of supporting an "old" hardware) - definitely bad idea to buy this one. There's a big a chance that you'll get yourself a faulty unit that will eat 30% of the battery overnight, doing absolutely nothing. And you know, batteries slowly cripple and loose charge with use - and this one is irreplacible (sarcastically speaking - genius idea, isn't it?).
Such kind of battery drain problems are found on all tablets with windows 8 and Intel Atom CPUs (Clovertrails) - for instance, some Acer Iconias (I don't remember the exact model number now) - but the good news is that Acer has released a fix like around May, so maybe Samsung will finally follow. In case of Samsung Smart PC 500T, sometimes installing Intel DPTF drivers from one of Acer Iconias helps (the same SOC, much of the hardware is identical among 1st gen Clovertrail Windows 8 tablets - more info on tabletpcreview forums in case you found this comment through google).
There's another one irritating bug-as-a-feature. On all windows 8 tablets, no matter what hardware. OS problem - the 'windows' button underneath the screen can wake the device from sleep. So the tablet wakes when it's carried in a bag or backpack sometimes. There's no solution for this, maybe except some googlable registry hacks for Surface RT. MS "support" knows about it and they've got nothing for this - 'windows home button is an integrated windows feature blah blah just live with it'. So maybe windows 8.1 will fix this. For now - carrying the device in a thick cover/pouch is what I do.
The moment Samsung releases a fix for the battery drain during connected standby (if this ever happens...), I'll back off my critique with pleasure, pump the score and update this review from 'DO NOT BUY this c..p' into 'easily recommended champ'. Yup, blackmail - cause all the time I put into documenting this issue and letting Samsung support know about it.. and btw not only me - apparently was an ineffective waste of time.
As of now - the device itself is a great notebook/light office computer (again - MS Office 2013, chrome, firefox, anything that runs on windows and the SOC can handle flies, as long as hardware graphics acceleration is not required). Nevertheless - strongly NOT recommend because of a possible really bad surprise with your BIOS and battery.
* Why I am so sure it's BIOS - tabletpcreview forums, people after system wipe and restore from recovery partition, clean install, just Samsung updates, and after the BIOS update - bam. Worst case, might not be exactly BIOS driver but for instance SOC drivers, anyway - if this happens after OS wipe, this is a driver issue and only Samsung can fix it. In my case, period I installed the new BIOS drivers, roughly then I got this battery drains. And it's driving me nuts.
Updated on Dec 1, 2013
So after all, it was a BIOS driver... It took some time for Samsung to get this done, but now I have to admit this is by far the best toy I've ever had. "Legacy" Windows apps & Office on a tablet. And the digital ink rocks. No way I'm going back to paper.
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Part number: XE500T1C-A04US
- Description: Take advantage of longer battery life and a blazing-fast Intel Atom processor, featuring S Pen functionality and touch screen, the Samsung Smart PC connects you to your PC - and your world - as never before. Connect your Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T with multiple compatible devices via the Internet. Use S manager to update and download AllShare technology to share content or upload existing content to a Samsung Smart TV, smartphone or camera. Plus the optional keyboard and dock quickly connect to an external monitor, MP3 player, camera and other USB devices.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- System Type Slate Tablet PC
- Mechanical Design No keyboard
- Operating System Windows 8 32-bit Edition
- Notebook type HD display,
Processor / Chipset
- CPU Intel Atom Z2760 / 1.8 GHz
- Number of Cores Dual-Core
- Cache L2 cache - 1 MB
- Flash 64 GB
- RAM 2 GB ( Provided memory is soldered )
- Max RAM Supported 2 GB
- Technology LPDDR2 SDRAM
- Speed 800 MHz
- Optical Drive None
- Type 11.6 in
- LCD Backlight Technology LED backlight
- Touchscreen Yes
- Max Resolution 1366 x 768 ( HD )
- Widescreen Yes
- Features SuperBright Plus
Audio & Video
- Graphics Processor PowerVR SGX545
- Camera Yes
- Resolution 8 Megapixel (back), 2 Megapixel (front)
- Sound Stereo speakers , Microphone
- Compliant Standards SoundAlive
- Type Touch-screen
- Wireless 802.11n,
- Technology 2-cell Lithium polymer
- Capacity 31 Wh
- Output 40 Watt
Connections & Expansion
- Interfaces Micro-HDMI,
Headphone/microphone combo jack,
- Memory Card Reader Card reader ( microSD )
- Software Included Skydrive,
- Microsoft Office Preloaded Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC.
- Features Front camera,
- Localization United States
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 12 in
- Depth 7.5 in
- Height 0.4 in
- Weight 1679.9 lbs
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Parts and labor - 1 year
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2011) 4.1
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2012) 4.2