Sony VAIO S470P/S (Pentium M 740 1.73 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD)
Manufacturer: Sony Part number: VGN-S470P/S
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 3.5 stars out of 5 reviews
- More product information:
- Editors' take
- User reviews
- Product series
- Manufacturer info
- The VAIO S Notebook is highly-mobile with a slim, lightweight design, integrated wireless LAN , cutting-edge notebook technologies, and a durable magnesium casing. The impressive 13.3" widescreen display with Sony's original XBRITE LCD technology delivers brilliant colors, sharp contrasts and crisp images, giving new life to your movies and digital photos. The Smart Display Sensor enables worry-free set-up of ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| Not yet rated || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/19/2013
CNET editors' take
My little road warrior...
by zetharia on November 7, 2005
Pros: (1) XBRITE screen technology, (2) portability, size and weight, (3) wireless on/off feature, (4) covered ports so dust won't get in.
Cons: (1) decent battery life, (2) loud fan noises, (3) non-stain resistant laptop shell
Summary: This is my first laptop ever, and I spent tons of time researching and reviewing computers. I vied to never buy a Sony product because a couple of my friends ...
Summary: This is my first laptop ever, and I spent tons of time researching and reviewing computers. I vied to never buy a Sony product because a couple of my friends had a sony desktop before that had tons of problems, but not in this case. I actually own the S150, the first series of the VAIO S series, and in essence, there isn't really anything all that different except for the processing speed and probably hard drive space. I added a 512 MB ram which makes it 768MB now, I will upgrade my 256MB with a 1GB memory later on.
I was shopping for a portable computer that I can tote around school, work, and home without breaing my back. At 4.5 lbs this was a relatively light notebook compared to those that have the same features at 9 lbs. The downside to portability was the price increase. I spent over $2,000 for this computer, and I have been using it for a year now without any "large" issues. I think the performance truly depends on how you manage and maintain your computer too.
I did have problems setting up my wireless on the Sony VAIO at home and at school. However I was able to fix this problem, by downloading the necessary drivers and files to update, bypassing contacting tech support (I read that tech support was useless from a few readers on Cnet). But once wireless was set up, I was good to go. Make sure you turn on that B/G function not just use G or B.
My laptop started wheezing on me if I have my laptop screen open at a certain angle. This could've been because I dropped it a few times from a height of 3 feet and knocked it up a bit from my abusive usage. If it survived a 3 ft drop with only damages surmounting to whizzing sounds, I'm good.
Battery/hard drive heats up fast, and the fans are always on trying to cool it down. This is why you hear the fan, but don't feel the heat when you're typing. Unlike other laptops, while you're typing, you feel the heat on the palms and your fingertips. This was also one of my criteria for purchasing a laptop. No overheated keyboard.
The keyboard was also important. I have relatively large hands for a girl and I didn't want a laptop that was portable but was so tiny I couldn't see or type anything comfortably. So the keys are easy to get used to, however the "bounce" isn't the best. The letters on the keys wear out with use. I think they can push the design to another level if they used back lit keys like the APple...it ties into the whole Sonyesque feel
The Sony came with tons of software titles, which I uninstalled because I didn't need them and I know I'd never use them. Most of the bug fixes on the updates are actually for their software anyways. What the Sony didn't come with is the disk recovery, which you had to burn yourself from your computer. I've heard from people saying that there was an error with that function, so I didn't bother wasting 7 disks on it.
I've always received comments about my laptop. People would always say, "I wish I had a more portable laptop like yours...It's so cute" and "the screen quality is so wonderful" I'm definitely happy for my decision. Sometimes you have to spend a little more so that you can have your computer for longer than it would normally last.
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
Poor product, toooo poor service
by MMGG2012 on June 8, 2012
Pros: nothing. Everything is average
Cons: unblievably poor service
Summary: My laptop was broken from day 1 and they kept asking me to bring it for service. They don't accept any return evenif they agree that their product is ...
Summary: My laptop was broken from day 1 and they kept asking me to bring it for service. They don't accept any return evenif they agree that their product is broken. They just say everything can be fixed. So let's fix it. Dell accepts full refund without any question. Lenovo accepts full refund after 2 trial to fix over phone and sony did not accept the return (even exhange) after i sent it to their service center 3 time!!! Do you really want to take such risk and get stuck with such product. I will never again buy anything from sony. Not just laptop.
The top Thin and Light on the market.
by eaghassi on October 29, 2005
Pros: As light as you'll ever need it to be, beautiful screen, fast, lots of memory, excellent customer support.
Cons: Not enough USB ports.
Summary: I don't have this computer, I actually have the closely related but custom built S480P. It has the same housing but a slightly faster processor (1.86GHz), twice as ...
Summary: I don't have this computer, I actually have the closely related but custom built S480P. It has the same housing but a slightly faster processor (1.86GHz), twice as much RAM (1GB), and a few more minor modifications. I would recommend this to anyone who needs to carry a notebook around. It's superlight and still strong enough to handle just about anything you might ask of it. The GPU works wonders.
super laptop. great performance. so much computer in such a small package. great style
by hindupendent on September 23, 2005
Pros: i love the bright screen and it's so portable. all the essentials included. great performance
Cons: not a lot of multimedia ports....like s-video and only 2 usb ports
Summary: this is the firts vaio i've ever bought. overall....i love this computer. it's perfect for anyone on the go. the performance and features are adequate for any ...
Summary: this is the firts vaio i've ever bought. overall....i love this computer. it's perfect for anyone on the go. the performance and features are adequate for any one.
so far no problme very good
by WannaBeCnetMan on August 2, 2005
Pros: nice designe and performance
Cons: too expensive comapre with other competible notebooks
- Manufacturer: Sony
- Part number: VGN-S470P/S
- Description: The VAIO S Notebook is highly-mobile with a slim, lightweight design, integrated wireless LAN , cutting-edge notebook technologies, and a durable magnesium casing. The impressive 13.3" widescreen display with Sony's original XBRITE LCD technology delivers brilliant colors, sharp contrasts and crisp images, giving new life to your movies and digital photos. The Smart Display Sensor enables worry-free set-up of compatible displays and projectors, starting your presentations off with an effortless air of professionalism. And, with the advanced DVD+R Double Layer/DVD±RW drive and a suite of Sony's original multimedia software, you have the tools you need for work and entertainment on-the-go.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- System Type Notebook
- Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Notebook type Thin-and-light (4-6 lbs.)
- Screen type Widescreen
- Wireless capabilities IEEE 802.11b,
Processor / Chipset
- CPU Intel Pentium M 740 / 1.73 GHz
- Cache L2 cache - 2 MB
- Front Side Bus 533 MHz
- Chipset Mobile Intel 915PM Express
- Platform Technology Intel Centrino
- Features Execute Disable Bit capability,
Enhanced SpeedStep technology,
Power-optimized processor system bus
- RAM 512 MB
- Max RAM Supported 2 GB
- Technology DDR2 SDRAM
- Speed 400 MHz / PC2-3200
- Floppy Drive None
- Hard Drive 80 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
- Storage Removable None
- Optical Drive DVD±RW (+R DL) - Fixed
- Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
- Write Speed 24x (CD) / 4x (DVD±R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL)
- Rewrite Speed 10x (CD) / 2x (DVD-RW) / 2.4x (DVD+RW)
- Optical Drive (2nd) None
- Hard drive type Portable
- Type 13.3 in
- Max Resolution 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
- Widescreen Yes
- Features X BRITE
Audio & Video
- Graphics Processor NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200
- Memory Allocation Technology TurboCache supporting 128MB
- Sound Stereo speakers , None
- Type Keyboard,
- Wireless 802.11b/g
- Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
- Network Interface 10/100 Ethernet
- Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92,
- Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps
- Technology Lithium ion
- Run Time 3 hour(s)
Connections & Expansion
- Slots Memory,
1 x CardBus ( 1 free )
- Interfaces 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15),
1 x Modem - Phone line - RJ-11,
1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45,
1 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 pin FireWire,
2 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A,
1 x Docking / port replicator
- Memory Card Reader Card reader ( Memory Stick PRO ),
( Memory Stick )
- Software Included Sony SonicStage,
Sony PictureGear Studio,
Norton Internet Security (90 days subscription),
Microsoft Works 8.0,
Sony DVgate Plus,
VAIO Recovery Wizard,
AOL Online (90 days trial),
InterMute SpySubtract (Trial),
VAIO Control Center,
Quicken 2005 New User Edition,
Sony Image Converter
- Color Silver
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 12.3 in
- Depth 8.9 in
- Height 1.4 in
- Weight 4.4 lbs
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year,
Technical support - Phone consulting - 1 year
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2011) 3.6
Specs: Intel Pentium M 740 / 1.73 GHz,
80 GB - 5400 rpm,
Microsoft Windows XP Professional,
13.3 in TFT active matrix,
1280 x 800 ( WXGA ),
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 TurboCache supporting 128MB,
DVD±RW (+R DL) - Integrated,
- Centon DataStick Keychain MLB Boston Red Sox Edition - USB flash drive - 4 GB (34554831)24.95
- Centon DataStick Keychain MLB Philadelphia Phillies Edition - USB flash drive - 4 GB (34554834)24.95
- Action Sport Drives Birdhouse SkateDrive Ptero - USB flash drive - 16 GB (35141986)17.99 - 19.99
- Sony VAIO VGP-BMS10/S mouse (33749203)46.99 - 69.99
- Sony VAIO Bluetooth Laser Mouse VGP-BMS77 mouse (33403360)64.99 - 99.99
- Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn mouse (34580173)27.97 - 44.99
- Cisco Linksys E4200 v2 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 router (35098697)149.99 - 216.92
- Asus RT-N56U Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router (34200558)115.24 - 143.89
- ASUS RT-N12 B1 - wireless router - none - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (35025047)39.99 - 70.00
- ASUS WL-330N - wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (35224227)
- Belkin N300 Wireless N Router - wireless router - none - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (34859949)38.35 - 39.99
- Belkin N750 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router - wireless router - 802.11 a/b/g/n - desktop (35190485)99.09 - 149.66
- Belkin N900 Dual-Band Wireless Router - wireless router - 802.11n - desktop (35262637)195.99 - 299.34
- Cisco 881 Fast Ethernet Security Router supporting EVDO/1xRTT - router - cellular modem - 802.11b/g/n (draft 2.0) - desktop (35026157)886.99 - 907.99
- CradlePoint CBR400 Compact Broadband Router - wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (34846899)190.45 - 216.40