Toshiba NB505 N508BL - 10.1" - Atom N455 - Windows 7 Starter - 1 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD
Manufacturer: Toshiba Part number: PLL50U-01R00C
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 4.0 stars out of 2 reviews
- Leave your laptop at home, yet still stay connected to your digital world. If that's what you want, the Toshiba mini NB500 notebook is for you. This best-in-class, value-rich companion PC offers stand-out styling, plus a smart, comfort-drive design for light, on-the-go computing. With its full-sized keyboard and touchpad, Toshiba's NB500 netbook is comfortable to use and easy ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Memory4Less.com|| Not yet rated || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 06/19/2013
by Jesse-Manhart on June 11, 2011
Pros: Good value, light, good battery life, good wireless, feels comfortable and quality made, more powerful than might be expected.
Cons: Windows 7 Starter is embarrassingly inadequate, Speakers are a little quiet, Webcam is OK.
Summary: I have had this netbook for a few weeks now. All things considered, I am very happy with it. Since it is a netbook, it is not suitable for gaming ...
Summary: I have had this netbook for a few weeks now. All things considered, I am very happy with it. Since it is a netbook, it is not suitable for gaming or really anything very processor or memory intensive. But as a 2nd computer for travel or work, it's great.
I was worried that with such little RAM it might be difficult to multitask and/or keep open multiple internet tabs, but it handled several Firefox windows with several tabs a piece just fine. It also showed no problems when I added playing music (using Foobar playing FLAC). When I played HD video (using VLC) it did hiccup noticeably at times but below 720p it worked just fine. I had no problems using Excel or Word.
The package as a whole is good. It's light, comfortable and doesn't feel cheap. For being so small, it was actually pretty easy for me, a desktop user, to migrate to this keyboard. The touch mouse works well. The wireless seems to have very decent range and reception. The battery life is better than what I expected and I have run it for more than 5 hours with it still going strong. The built-in webcam is OK; good for Skype and the like but not exceptional. The built-in speaker(s) are pretty quiet and the sound is not great (though I wasn't really expecting it to be and with my really nice headphones, it sounds great). It has a decent amount of USB slots and I like that it has a SD card reader.
The biggest complaint (and only serious one) that I have is that it comes with Windows 7 Starter. I was expecting no frills, but it is about as bare bones as you can get. This became evident when I found out I cannot even change the desktop wallpaper. Windows 7 Starter is a joke and a bad one at that. You will want to upgrade to Windows Home Premium.
Conclusion: It's a very nice netbook and a good value for what you get. I am glad that I got it. As long as you don't ask it to do what it wasn't designed to do, it works very well. I recommend it.
*** P.S. If you will buy this Netbook I suggest you have compare price before you decide at: www.amazon.com/gp/*************?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%****%2Foffer-listing%2FB004G8QZPG%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Ddp_olp_new%26condition%3Dnew%23&tag=***************&********=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957
10 out of 10 users found this user opinion helpful.
Outstanding computer for portability at a good price.
by nsew45 on April 7, 2011
Pros: Works well out of the box. Very light and portable. More than adequate hard disk capacity. Good enough graphics. Performance is good with 2GB memory upgrade. Battery life is excellent at +/- 8 hours. I highly recommend the Toshiba N508BL.
Cons: Cost of Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Pro. upgrade.
Summary: I was looking to replace my aging laptop that cannot be upgraded to Windows 7. I wanted portability and low weight. I compared similar netbooks at a local retailer with ...
Summary: I was looking to replace my aging laptop that cannot be upgraded to Windows 7. I wanted portability and low weight. I compared similar netbooks at a local retailer with a good selection of netbooks. The Toshiba N508BL had a good appearance, light weight, crisp display, 250 GB hard drive, camera, 3 USB ports, video output, SD card reader, microphone input and audio output. The cost for a 2GB memory upgrade was less than $40.
The Toshiba worked right out of the box. I had no concerns. The memory upgrade was very simple and went without problem.
My favorite free antivirus would not install on Windows 7 starter. I also wanted to run DeLorme's TopoNA 9.0 with a PN-60w SE with SPOT. The TopoNA 9 requires Windows. Windows upgrade to Pro is $120 plus another $40 for media and shipping.
The Toshiba comes with a camera, wireless or LAN networking. The Toshiba interfaces well with external monitor, mouse and keyboard. I have not experienced any problems with compatibility. There are several options for disaster recovery. Toshiba provides a partition on the hard drive to recover back to Windows 7 Starter and supplied applications.The Toshiba recovery will write to a USB flash drive of 8GB or larger capacity. The N508BL will boot from a USB flash drive. Windows 7 doesn't want to readily write to a USB flash drive without a lot of research and work. An external DVD/CD burner is required for Windows recovery media.
So far, the Toshiba N508BL is a good replacement for my desktop and laptop at about 1/3 the cost of a new laptop or desktop.
The performance is better than I expected.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Toshiba
- Part number: PLL50U-01R00C
- Description: Leave your laptop at home, yet still stay connected to your digital world. If that's what you want, the Toshiba mini NB500 notebook is for you. This best-in-class, value-rich companion PC offers stand-out styling, plus a smart, comfort-drive design for light, on-the-go computing. With its full-sized keyboard and touchpad, Toshiba's NB500 netbook is comfortable to use and easy to navigate, even when the going gets tight. Plus, its ample 10.1" diagonal LED-backlight display offers plenty of rooms to browse the Internet, update your online status, compose emails, or view photos.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- System Type Netbook
- OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Starter
- Notebook type Budget ,
Processor / Chipset
- CPU Intel Atom N455 / 1.66 GHz
- Cache L2 cache - 512 KB
- 64-bit Computing Yes
- Chipset Intel NM10 Express
- RAM 1 GB ( 1 x 1 GB )
- Max RAM Supported 2 GB
- Technology DDR2 SDRAM
- Speed 667 MHz
- Slots Qty 1
- Empty Slots 0
- Hard Drive 250 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
- Interface Serial ATA-300
- Optical Drive None
- Min Operating Temperature 41 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 95 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 20 - 80% (non-condensing)
- Type 10.1 in
- LCD Backlight Technology LED backlight
- Max Resolution 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
- Widescreen Yes
- Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
- Features TruBrite
Audio & Video
- Graphics Processor Intel GMA 3150
- Memory Allocation Technology Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
- Max Allocated RAM Size 250 MB
- Camera Yes
- Sound Mono speakers , Microphone
- Type Keyboard,
- Keyboard Layout US
- Features Multi-touch touchpad
- Wireless 802.11n
- Network Interface 10/100 Ethernet
- Compliant Standards Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
- Technology 6-cell Lithium ion
- Capacity 48 Wh
- Run Time 8.3 hour(s)
- Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
- Output 30 Watt , 19 V , 1.58 A
Connections & Expansion
- Interfaces VGA,
3 x USB 2.0,
- Memory Card Reader Card reader ( SDHC Memory Card ),
( SDXC Memory Card ),
( SD Memory Card ),
( MultiMediaCard )
- Software Included Toshiba Recovery DiskCreator,
Toshiba Bulletin Board,
Toshiba Service Station,
Toshiba Hardware Setup Utility,
Toshiba Web Camera Application,
Toshiba Online Backup (30 days trial),
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0,
Adobe Acrobat Reader,
Microsoft Office 2010 Starter,
Toshiba Supervisor Password Utility,
Microsoft Windows Media Player 12,
Toshiba Eco Utility,
Windows Live Movie Maker,
Norton Internet Security 2011 (30 days subscription),
WildTangent Game Console,
Toshiba Media Controller,
Toshiba Value Added Package,
Windows Live Essentials,
Windows Live Messenger,
Toshiba Disc Creator,
Toshiba HDD/SSD Alert,
Toshiba App Place,
Toshiba Book Place,
Windows Live Mail,
Windows Live Writer,
Windows Live Photo Gallery
- Microsoft Office Preloaded Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC.
- Color Blue
- Features Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)
- Compliant Standards RoHS
- Localization United States
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 10.3 in
- Depth 7.5 in
- Height 1.4 in
- Weight 2.9 lbs
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details International warranty - Parts and labor - 1 year,
Limited warranty - Battery - 1 year
- ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2011) 2.8
- Greenpeace policy rating (Nov 2012) 2.3
- Action Sport Drives Channel Islands SurfDrive MX Blue - USB flash drive - 16 GB (35141820)19.99
- HP USB Flash Drive USB flash drive - 16 GB (34661846)31.99
- Action Sport Drives Birdhouse SkateDrive Ptero - USB flash drive - 16 GB (35141986)17.99 - 19.99
- Toshiba Gaming Mouse X20 mouse (33625378)9.99 - 79.95
- Toshiba Bluetooth Laser Mouse mouse (34537058)13.99 - 31.99
- Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn mouse (34580173)27.97 - 44.99
- Cisco Linksys E4200 v2 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 router (35098697)149.99 - 216.92
- Asus RT-N56U Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router (34200558)115.24 - 143.89
- ASUS RT-N12 B1 - wireless router - none - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (35025047)39.99 - 70.00
- ASUS WL-330N - wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (35224227)
- Belkin N300 Wireless N Router - wireless router - none - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (34859949)38.35 - 39.99
- Belkin N750 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router - wireless router - 802.11 a/b/g/n - desktop (35190485)99.09 - 149.66
- Belkin N900 Dual-Band Wireless Router - wireless router - 802.11n - desktop (35262637)195.99 - 299.34
- Cisco 881 Fast Ethernet Security Router supporting EVDO/1xRTT - router - cellular modem - 802.11b/g/n (draft 2.0) - desktop (35026157)886.99 - 907.99
- CradlePoint CBR400 Compact Broadband Router - wireless router - 802.11b/g/n - desktop (34846899)190.45 - 216.40