Delphi SkyFi3 (XM)
Manufacturer: Delphi Corp. Part number: SA10224
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/30/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $50.99
- Reviewed by: James Kim
- Reviewed on: 10/25/2006
- Released on: 10/17/2006
The good: The Delphi SkyFi3 is a competitively priced plug-and-play satellite radio receiver/recorder. It can pause and replay programming up to 30 minutes, is lightweight and easy to use, and includes a large and legible screen. It plays back digital audio files via the expansion slot and can be used while afoot with optional antenna headphones. It includes a car kit and a remote control.
The bad: The Delphi SkyFi3 has a budget build quality, with a monochrome screen with no channel graphics and no built-in antenna, so you must use optional headphones for true portability. It lacks a Micro SD card, has subpar rated battery life, and can't store your own digital audio files on internal memory. It has a substandard FM transmitter and charging the device over USB isn't guaranteed.
The bottom line: The Delphi SkyFi3 XM receiver/recorder is a flexible solution for home, car, and on the go for those who don't want to spend big bucks.
It won't turn on
by cheriw on February 3, 2007
Pros: Great when its on
Cons: It won't turn on
Summary: I was impresed when I first set it up. No problems at all when I get it on but far to often it will lock up in the first screen ...
Summary: I was impresed when I first set it up. No problems at all when I get it on but far to often it will lock up in the first screen when it is booting up. I press the power button to turn it off and start again and nothing, so I press the power and volume keys at the same time to REboot and it will go off But now it won't come back on. I called Delphi and they said to press power and vol. keys then while holding them down plug in power and hold keys 30 to 45 seconds to give it time to acknoledge the power. YEAH this works. it will boot up after that and work great until you turn it off and I have to start all over again. Not what I expected to deal with for the money I payed. I will be returning it. Also this is my 2nd one the first also did this so I returned it for an exchange for this one.
Compact, easy to use and worked right out of the box
by larrywms45 on December 28, 2006
Pros: I love it. I had the Sony II and it finally died in the Arizona sun. Music quality is quite good.
Cons: Walking operation requires an additional output of money; no way to install using the Aux in my Honda Element
Summary: I won't give this unit a 10 but I will give it an 8. For all the things I like about it, the only drawback so far has been ...
Summary: I won't give this unit a 10 but I will give it an 8. For all the things I like about it, the only drawback so far has been the lack of being able to use it remotely. The Freedom package is not available and Delphi says in the near future. It's basketball and football season, what's with that. Oh well, it beats Sirrus.
Best XM Player choice for those who like to be mad and waste money
by Jaxbills on August 3, 2008
Pros: 1) Scheduled recording of programming (too bad you can use this great feature)
Cons: 1) Serious software bugs. 2) Unit locks up. 3) Frequently displays "UNABLE TO PLAY" your recordings
Summary: I've owned my Delphi SKYFI3 for about one year. I researched all of the various units, and decided this was just what I wanted. I ignored some of the ...
Summary: I've owned my Delphi SKYFI3 for about one year. I researched all of the various units, and decided this was just what I wanted. I ignored some of the warnings I’d read about the unit locking up. Now, I truly regret buying this player. I've had other XM receivers, but was looking for one that would allow me to record some talk shows for later listening. The SKYFI3 does this quite well. The only problem is after it fills up the internal memory, and starts deleting the oldest programming to make way for new shows, it scrambles some or all of your recordings. After resetting the unit several times, I called and spoke to Delphi about this issue. At first, the said they didn’t know of such a problem. Several calls later, after they spoke to some of their technical people about this specific issue, they concluded this was theoretically possible for this to happen. They suspected the "pointers" linking all of the segments to the titles could get scrambled when large blocks of programming were automatically deleted, but they couldn't duplicate the problem. Their suggestion was to just be sure not to let the memory get full. Since you never know how much memory is left, and it takes about a minute to just select and delete just one show, plan on spending lots of your time sitting in your car pushing buttons and waiting. This is a simple programming problem, and Delphi simply refuses to fix it. I've kept the EPROM flashed with the latest software updates, but I frequently have to completely wipe my unit clean and reprogram the recording times, custom functions, FM modular settings and my favorite channels. This takes about 20 to 30 minutes. What a sham to sell such junk. So, when you read warnings by others about this device, including the dreaded lock-up issue, you can’t say you were not warned. !!! DO NOT BUY THIS DEVICE IF YOU WANT TO RECORD PROGRAMMING !!!
0 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Delphi Corp.
- Part number: SA10224
- Description: The Delphi SKYFi3 comes with everything to start enjoying XM in any vehicle equipped with an FM radio. A low-profile car dock with direct channel and preset-favorites access allows for both horizontal and vertical mounting options. The car dock also provides for a single auxiliary line input so users can listen to an external audio. SKYFi3's orientation flexibility, bright 2.8-inch display screen and ease-to-access car dock buttons offer improved readability and control for safer operation while driving. In today's fast-paced, multi-tasking world interruptions while listening to our favorite songs are unavoidable. The SKYFi3 features a 30 minute Pause-Replay function that continuously and automatically saves the last 30 minutes of music, sports, comedy or talk - regardless of whether the user changes channels. At any point during live listening, users can pause a song or program with a single button press. As long as playback resumes within 30 minutes, users can enjoy what they would have otherwise missed. The Delphi SKYFi3 can time-shift up to 10 hours of fresh and continuously updated XM programming on its non-removable internal flash memory. Recordings can be started anytime during the live listening mode or by using SKYFi3's scheduled recording feature. A subscription to XM must be maintained to listen to stored XM programming.
- Product type XM radio tuner / digital player
- PC interface(s) supported USB
- Flash memory installed 256 MB Integrated
- Depth 2.4 in
- Height 4.3 in
- Width 0.7 in
- Weight 4.1 oz
- Carrying case None -
- Included accessories Software kit,
XM radio cradle for car,
- Digital storage None
- Sound output mode Stereo
- Timer Sleep,
- Built-in clock Timer,
- Addtional features XM radio recording capability ,
Built-in FM transmitter ,
Digital Player / Recorder
- Supported digital audio standards MP3,
- ID3 tags support Yes
- Audio system built-in display LCD
- Diagonal size 2.8 in
- Backlight display Yes
- CD system type None
- Cassette system type None
- Tuner type Digital XM radio tuner
- Tuning display LCD display
- MD system type None
- Remote control Remote control - Infrared
- Headphones type Binaural Ear-bud
- Sound output mode Stereo
- Connectivity technology Wired
- Connector type 1 x Headphones Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1 x XM antenna SMB,
1 x USB,
1 x Docking station
Battery / Power
- Battery Lithium ion Rechargeable Player battery
- Mfr estimated battery life 5 hour(s)
- Power device type [Feb 24, 2011 from CDS: Power Device] Power adapter
- Peripheral / Interface devices [Jul 2, 2008 from CDS: System Requirements] USB port,
- Operating system Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4,
Microsoft Windows XP SP2