Philips Portable Media Center PMC7230
Manufacturer: Philips Part number: PMC7230/17
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/25/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $194.51
- Reviewed by: Jasmine France
- Edited by: Bonnie Cha
- Reviewed on: 12/21/2006
The good: The Philips PMC offers an attractive design and a screen with excellent viewing angles. It's very easy to use and it includes video recording, as well as a built-in kickstand.
The bad: The Philips PMC's audio quality is subpar, it doesn't record from protected DVDs, and there's no way to adjust the recording volume levels on the device. It also costs about $50 more than most other 30GB portable A/V devices, and there's no FM radio.
The bottom line: The Philips Portable Media Center PMC7230 is a stylish device with lots of potential, but it's not as impressive as we expected.
Good looking & nice all-in-one device. Very good for a normal PC user.
by a2bhi on November 10, 2006
Pros: User interface close to Microsoft, everybody knows how to operate.
Cons: Battery life. Should support more video formates
Summary: The editor says, it takes 30 min to record 30 min video. So ? How else do you define real-time recording. The show will go for 30 min in TV, the ...
Summary: The editor says, it takes 30 min to record 30 min video. So ? How else do you define real-time recording. The show will go for 30 min in TV, the PMC will record it for 30 min . I have all my tin-tin videos on this & I'm happy that I can watch it anytime & anywhere
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Portable yet functions like DVD/TV recorder
by bewins on February 6, 2007
Pros: Best Video Playback, Bright LCD, TV recording and TVout playback, Great sound
Cons: No Radio function
Summary: Long time since i was in search for a practical and portable Video player that will not make me feel like watching a Miniature movie, Philips has done it, watching ...
Summary: Long time since i was in search for a practical and portable Video player that will not make me feel like watching a Miniature movie, Philips has done it, watching movies on this is a breeze and with excelent LCD video playback and sound, i am liking it, It also has a killing feature that allows me to plug it into my TV and record just like my HDD DVD recorder and the good part is that i can play those recorded content on my player LCD or plug it back into the TV and play on the large TV screen.......i love it for this feature, you can also connect it to DVD player and rip the contenets directly
This is multi function device like : Good Portable True Movie Player, Music player, HDD TV/DVD reporder/player, TVout, 30 Gig, External HDD, can use anywhere (home, car, office, party), built-in loud speaker also, really happy customer for his value for money
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Very much disappointed!
by Rushmi on January 11, 2007
Pros: Good build, and very nice screen!
Cons: Poor styleing, the worst software, very bad audio output!
I order online and it cost me $388.00. I was exited to see it. It comes with very nice packing though! The leather cover which provided was worst! ...
I order online and it cost me $388.00. I was exited to see it. It comes with very nice packing though! The leather cover which provided was worst! It's not fit perfectly.
* Very nice LCD screen it has very nice contrast ratio, and have very good side-angle view.
* Very good build quality.
* Very poor software.
* Sound quality was not good in MP3 playback, but it gives nice sound from those two speakers though.
* We can't switch of videos I mean it will remain and start from same place again!
* It's not portable though!
* Very less features!
* It has 4:3 screens; it should be 16:9 widescreen.
It has only 30GB; it should be at least 60GB.
It does not have Radio!
I returned it after one day! I hope Philips should come with their own solid design, it is OEM from Tautang (Taiwan).
I was very disappointed with the PMC7230; I hope Philips will come up with their own PMC in near future, though Philips is very respective brand worldwide! Hope they will do better than this!
1 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
This unit is a P.O.S. it's software fails
by nsanity26 on September 14, 2009
Pros: the tv record feature
Cons: the software fails, and shuts down the sytem and it wont fuction even after reset.
Summary: i own this model, out of the clear blue it went into a warnng screen, explaining that i need to send it to the manufacturer for repairs..! one problem PHILLIPS ...
Summary: i own this model, out of the clear blue it went into a warnng screen, explaining that i need to send it to the manufacturer for repairs..! one problem PHILLIPS dont have a repair service to send it to, i've tryed, they told me to send it somewhere, its not there problem, they even suggested i throw it out and buy a new one! who's got the 300 + to fork over for that..! I'd look at another brand if i were you......!
if i could give no stars i would...
by dgfze on August 28, 2009
Pros: at first for like 6 mo. it was fine and then it stopped.....
Cons: Working, so i returned for a replacement which was a used one with scrathes and a broken kickstand, so I I was givin a new replacement which only lasted another 2 or 3 mo. then the screen said to return for repair, and when I called back they told me
Summary: They told me that it was out of warranty by a week or so! And they also lied when they told me that I would get a new warranty for ...
Summary: They told me that it was out of warranty by a week or so! And they also lied when they told me that I would get a new warranty for all of the triuble I was having, i/e returning devices that did not work. so I guess i am giving phillips a 0 star for service and a 1/2 of a star for the player...
wondrous tool for a father of 4 young children
by 197308 on November 23, 2008
Pros: AV Out...big enough screen...small enough to carry....large hard drive
Cons: no fm radio and lack of customizing folders and wished it had some SD card capabilities so i don't have to connect to pc to download pics or music
Summary: smaller than a portable DVD player, ability to store all your music and the kids music as well as movies.....but the most important thing is the AV Out on ...
Summary: smaller than a portable DVD player, ability to store all your music and the kids music as well as movies.....but the most important thing is the AV Out on the unit...like most families with large families we have the gas hog SUV with the entertainment package. With that said the days of having to haul 50 DVD's on long trips are a thing of the past...i have enough SpongeBob and Ben10 episodes in the unit to keep them quiet and if that does not keep them happy then i have several movies from Barbie to The Benchwarmers downloaded....to me this feature is what made me buy the item
If your into auto video the possibilities of this unit with its AV out is great as you can add monitors into a vehicle without messing with ur factory radio and if it comes with a aux plug in for MP3 players that makes it easier to hook up
Warranty and audio quality keeps this product poor!
by diddypee on November 10, 2008
Pros: Screen size/menu
Cons: Price/Warranty/Support/Audio output/battery life
Summary: I bought this 6 months ago and lost the receipt. It died on me after five months of use and they did not want to help me without a receipt. ...
Summary: I bought this 6 months ago and lost the receipt. It died on me after five months of use and they did not want to help me without a receipt. I said ok can I get it fixed and pay for it, they told me after the warranty(1 year) or if you lose the receipt throw the unit in the garbage cause they don't fix them! I paid over $300 for this thing and for them to leave me out in the cold like this is unacceptable! Do not buy this mp3 others are better!
Not a bad device
by vince320 on August 4, 2008
Pros: Great display, audio fine with headset. Controls are easy to use, and a simple menu.
Cons: speaker audio is not the best, ok in a quiet space. I've had issues with loading video on the device, with the ArcSoft media converter. It loaded the video, but is not visible in the folder!!
Summary: Overall not bad, but the issue of MP10 v MP11, and not seeing the uploaded files is a bad thing..
Summary: Overall not bad, but the issue of MP10 v MP11, and not seeing the uploaded files is a bad thing..
My Favorite MP3 player for work. (4 THE PRICE...the Best)
by mfurman on April 23, 2008
Pros: Record from TV...Play Tons of Music!
Cons: Good question...nope...nothing.
Summary: Now this item can be found for about $130 Brand New. You can not beat this deal. It records from your TV...easily too. Playback of videos is excellent. 30 ...
Summary: Now this item can be found for about $130 Brand New. You can not beat this deal. It records from your TV...easily too. Playback of videos is excellent. 30 GB...plenty of room for music, pics and vids. Operation is as simple as it gets. You don't need the manual, just jump right it, fill it up and play! Really, if you see this for a good price, grab it. You WILL be surprised.
- Manufacturer: Philips
- Part number: PMC7230/17
- Description: The total entertainment experience is now in the palm of consumers' hands, thanks to amazing Portable Media Center PMC7230. This revolutionary gadget provides entertainment freedom with the ability to download recorded TV shows from a VCR, DVDR or DVR. It's a portable DVR and MP3 player in one ready-to-go package. More versatile than an MP3 player or portable DVD player, the PMC7230 has the ability to play recorded TV, movies, music and digital photos. Users can conveniently access up to 15000 audio tracks, five hours of video or 8400 images downloaded from the PC or recorded from the TV. Or choose to purchase or rent the player's content from a growing number of PlaysForSure services. By simply setting the timer, the PMC7230 records selected TV shows in high-quality MPEG 4 format. Enjoy up to five hours of video playtime or crank the latest music for up to 18 hours. The player's 3.5-inch LCD screen boasts crystal-clear quality from a world leader in displays. The Portable Media Center synchronizes instantly with Windows XP. It's a breeze. Philips also makes downloading and recording effortless through high-speed USB and TV connections.
- Device Type Portable media center
- Key Features Digital audio recorder ,
Digital photo viewer ,
External HDD function ,
Video capture from external source ,
Digital audio player ,
Digital video player
- Compatibility PlaysForSure Audio
- Width 3.7 in
- Depth 0.9 in
- Height 4.2 in
- Weight 8.3 oz
- PC Interfaces USB
- Features TV recording,
Microsoft Windows Mobile based
- Localization United States
- Display Type LCD 3.5 in - Color
- Display Form Factor Built-in
- TV Standards Supported PAL,
- Display Features Brightness,
Memory / Storage
- HDD Capacity 30 GB
- HDD Form Factor 1.8" - Built-in
- Supported audio formats MP3 ,
- Supported bit rate 32 - 320Kbps (MP3) / 32 - 256Kbps (WMA)
- Sample rate [Jan 21, 2011 from CDS: Digital Audio] 48 kHz,
- Audio output Built-in speaker
- Recording bit rate 128Kbps
- Digital audio features 5 band EQ ,
ID3 tags support
- Supported Still Images Formats JPEG
- Photo Playback Modes Zoom out,
Auto slide show,
- Video Playback Formats MPEG-4 ,
MPEG-4 SP ,
- Video Capture Supported Yes
- Video Capture Formats MPEG-4 SP
- Connections Headphones - Mini-phone 3.5 mm,
Audio / video input,
Audio / video output
- Required Qty 1
- Rechargeable Battery Rechargeable
- Battery Enclosure Type Internal
- Included Qty 1
- Technology Lithium ion
- Capacity 2400 mAh
- Recharge Time 4 hour(s)
- Battery Life Details Audio playback - up to 16 hour(s),
Video playback - up to 3 hour(s)
- Software Included Microsoft Windows Media Player 10,
- Operating System MS Windows XP
- Peripheral(s) CD-ROM
- System Requirements Details Windows XP - Pentium III - 800 MHz - HD 64 MB
- Firmware Upgradable Yes
- Included Accessories USB cable , Power adapter,