D-Link DSL-2640B ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router - wireless router - DSL - 802.11b/g - desktop
Manufacturer: D-Link Part number: DSL-2640B
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 3.5 stars out of 4 reviews
- The D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router (DSL-2640B) is a 3-in-1 device that combines the function of a high-speed DSL modem, wireless G access point, and 4-port Ethernet router. The DSL-2640B supports the latest ADSL2/2+ standards to provide higher performance (up to 24Mbps downstream and 3.5Mbps upstream) and longer reach from your Internet Service Provider's (ISP) ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/21/2013
This modem saved my job - a real winner!!
by vdeutchman on August 15, 2009
Pros: This modem replaced a modem provided by my ISP (the second one from them) which had been providing the worst DSL experience I ever had. After a simple install, it worked perfectly, and I have not had a single loss of service or speed issue since.
Cons: Nothing at all.
Summary: I use my computer for my job. I connect to client sites and do online compute work for them. The modems from my ISP were garbage. I was constantly getting ...
Summary: I use my computer for my job. I connect to client sites and do online compute work for them. The modems from my ISP were garbage. I was constantly getting line drops and unexpected speed changes. My DSL life was miserable. Where I live I have no choice but one DSL provider. Then one day someone suggested I buy a better modem and see if that makes a difference. Like night and day! Thanks D-Link for providing such a reliable and easy-to-use product. It looks kind of cool too.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Great multi-function product.
by Pintsized1 on April 29, 2008
Pros: Works like it shoud out of the box.
Cons: Can't find any updated firmware.
Summary: I'm using SBC Yahoo Internet Service in San Francisco. I bought this unit to replace an aging Speedtouch modem and Linksys Wireless B Router. Paid about $70. The unit ...
Summary: I'm using SBC Yahoo Internet Service in San Francisco. I bought this unit to replace an aging Speedtouch modem and Linksys Wireless B Router. Paid about $70. The unit arrived - I unplugged the modem and router - I plugged in this unit - it worked out the correct protocols for my DSL connection automatically - I just ran the setup wizard to put in my username and password and I was online. Five minutes tops. Another five minutes and I had the passwords changed and security on the wireless.
Each of the functions runs well and without errors.
Wireless N is good and fast with a secure net and guest net built in.
Router is seamless - I transferred over my Linksys parameters and it all worked fine.
Modem works like a champ - I haven't lost connection or glitched in the two weeks since purchase. Download speeds are better than ever.
Only complaint would be the opaque online support - no upgraded firmware is available on the DLINK site - maybe there isn't any - who knows. Anyway system works fine as is. I haven't tried to call customer support so I can't tell you if it exists.
All in all a great multifunction unit for the money.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
total waste of money
by dr_kp on June 3, 2009
Pros: only thing that i luke about it is its easy installation
Cons: everything else was bad
Summary: my experince with this product has been a nightmare. i got problems from it since the day one. the wireless network strength was weaker after about 10feet which is nothing. ...
Summary: my experince with this product has been a nightmare. i got problems from it since the day one. the wireless network strength was weaker after about 10feet which is nothing. the worst part is that it stopped giving wireless network after about 6hrs of continous usage, especially when i was downloading a big file. at that very moment i just restarted it and it worked for another 6hrs or so. it was under warranty so got it replaced. but that was only temporary happiness, after a couple of months the same problem came up and as i mentioned it was the replaced router.
i sent it again to the service center and they said its getting heated up excessively and returned it. its not my fault that its getting heated up, i have kept it in my room and its on top of my table and nothing covers it up.
i called up the customer care multiple times but they have only one solution for it-- RESET AND RECONFIGURE the router . i did i a 100 times.
this time the service center says there is some problem with a chip inside it and they have sent it to the base service center and it has been more than a month already and still it has not been repaired yet.
finally i got a MOTOROLA gateway and its like a cream. so folks i sincerely recommend you not to waste your money for this crap.
2 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Terrific little Modem Router
by trompfy on April 24, 2011
Pros: It is good for networking.
Cons: You can't use it with the WD Live Media Hub so you need a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless N USB Adapter.
Summary: I bought this so I use Wireless, which means I don't need a seperate modem or even use the Ethernet cable like I have been using as I just ...
Summary: I bought this so I use Wireless, which means I don't need a seperate modem or even use the Ethernet cable like I have been using as I just had a ADSL2/2+ modem before but it died.
- Manufacturer: D-Link
- Part number: DSL-2640B
- Description: The D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router (DSL-2640B) is a 3-in-1 device that combines the function of a high-speed DSL modem, wireless G access point, and 4-port Ethernet router. The DSL-2640B supports the latest ADSL2/2+ standards to provide higher performance (up to 24Mbps downstream and 3.5Mbps upstream) and longer reach from your Internet Service Provider's (ISP) Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM). Unlike a dial-up Internet service, a DSL Internet connection is always on so that you do not have to wait to access the Web. Setting up the DSL-2640B is simple since it automatically detects your DSL settings to quickly establish a connection to the Internet. With support for TR-067, compatibility with your Internet Service Provider's (ISP) infrastructure is ensured. This device also supports TR-069, which automatically updates the firmware and other settings when they become available from your ISP. With the DSL-2640B, you can create a wireless network to connect 802.11g/802.11b devices as well as a wired network to connect up to four 10/100 Ethernet devices. Share your high-speed DSL Internet connection, photos, music, videos, printers, and Network Attached Storage (NAS) with multiple users. The DSL-2640B includes a built-in QoS engine that helps prioritize Internet traffic to enable smooth Internet phone calls (VoIP) and lag-free online gaming. In addition, this device includes Dual Active Firewalls (SPI and NAT) to help protect your network from potential attacks from across the Internet. To prevent unauthorized wireless access into your network, the DSL-2640B supports the latest encryption including WEP, WPA, and WPA2. Whether it is for a home user who wants to share high-speed Internet access or for a small office that needs Internet access for conducting essential business activities, the ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router (DLS-2640B) is the ideal all-in-one broadband and wireless networking solution.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Device Type Wireless router - 4-port switch (integrated)
- Enclosure Type Desktop
- Compatible Slots None
- Connectivity Technology Wireless ,
- Data Link Protocol Fast Ethernet,
- Frequency Band 2.4 GHz
- Network / Transport Protocol ICMP/IP ,
- Routing Protocol Static IP routing,
- Remote Management Protocol SNMP 1,
- Encryption Algorithm WPA-PSK,
- Authentication Method Radio Service Set ID (SSID),
- Features Packet filtering ,
DoS attack prevention ,
Firewall protection ,
IGMP snooping ,
Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) support ,
Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) ,
DHCP support ,
NAT support ,
Dynamic IP address assignment ,
Quality of Service (QoS) ,
DMZ port ,
VPN passthrough ,
Wireless Distribution System (WDS) support ,
SNTP support ,
Auto-uplink (auto MDI/MDI-X) ,
MAC address filtering ,
Firmware upgradable ,
Dynamic DNS server
- Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11g , CSA,
IEEE 802.11e , EN55022,
IEEE 802.1p , EN 300.328,
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED , EN55024,
IEEE 802.11b , FCC Part 15 B,
- Built-in Devices Wireless access point
- Status Indicators Power,
- Framing Format ANSI T1.413
- Type DSL modem
- Digital Signaling Protocol ADSL,
- Protocols & Specifications ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A,
ITU G.992.5 Annex M,
ITU G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis),
ITU G.992.4 (G.lite.bis),
ITU G.992.3 Annex M,
ITU G.994.1 (G.hs),
ITU G.992.2 (G.Lite)
- Max Transfer Rate 24 Mbps
Expansion / Connectivity
- Interfaces LAN : 4 x Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45,
WAN : 1 x ADSL2+ - RJ-11,
Management : 1 x Console
- Expansion Slots None
- Networking type Wireless router
- Networking standards [Jul 2, 2008 from CDS: Networking] IEEE 802.11g ,
IEEE 802.11e ,
IEEE 802.1p ,
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ,
- Directivity Omni-directional
- Power Device Power adapter - External
- Voltage Required AC 120/230 V
- Cables (Details) 1 x Network cable,
1 x Phone cable
- Microsoft Certifications Compatible with Windows 7
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 7.7 in
- Depth 4.8 in
- Height 1.3 in
- Weight 11.5 oz
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 5 - 95%