Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint
Manufacturer: Cisco Part number: BEFSX41
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 09/02/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $89.00
- Reviewed by: Xiao Ming Wu
- Reviewed on: 06/17/2004
- Released on: 06/01/2003
The good: Can support two VPN tunnels; cheap.
The bad: Lacks AppleTalk support; lacks VPN client software.
The bottom line: The BEFSX41 is an affordable solution for those who need secure access to their home or office network via the Internet.
Great value for a hardware firewall
Pros: Hardware firewall, well supported with firmware updates, lots of activity LEDs.
Cons: An older version has a secuity vulnerabilty, easily corrected with a firmware upgrade.
Pros: Good Features
Cons: One new unit had bad ports out of the box. Second unit 2/4 ports bad after 13 months. Outside of warranty
Sometimes hard to set-up
Pros: Firewall, Price, 4-ports, Web configuration, Reliable
Cons: Hard to set up on first attempts; wouldn't get IP from WAN DHCP; now, for some reason, it works flawlessly; who knows, maybe the ISP is to blame (netcabo.pt)
Pros: Simple to use
Cons: Badly written firmware. For a pruduct that has been out so long I don't understand why it still have these kinds of problems. The engineers that wrote the firmware shoudl be fired!!!!!!!
you get what you pay for- boat anchor
Pros: advertised to do anything you may need. Software is buggy!
Cons: resets non stop, glad I read this before investing any more time in not making this work. A true outsource model for Cisco made in China / service out of India. One can only imagine what third world nation wrote the software.
Good feature set. Full of bugs
Pros: Good feature set & quite cheap
Cons: VPN very slow to connect. Loses all settings each firmware upgrade. Lots of bugs in firmware. *Avoid*
DHCP is broken, badly.
Pros: Lots of features and cheap.
Cons: Unit does not automatically renew its lease on the address assigned by the ISP and frequently ignores renewal requests from LAN clients.
Has worked great with Comcast for 1 yr
Pros: Make sure you get the latest firmware for ease of use and security. Has worked great with Comcast cable for over a year. No problems and pretty easy to use. I have used both static and dynamic IP's without a problem. Also nice to have DMZ when hostin
Cons: Old firmware stunk Remembering IP to access options
BEFSX41 + SpeedStream DSL Modem = Conflict!
Pros: Cheap. Easy to configure through IE.
Cons: Horrible support from India.... oops, I mean Linksys. Conflicts with SpeedStream 5100 from SBC DSL. I worked on it for a week, gave up and bought a Netgear router. Learn from my mistake. Don't waste your time.
Buy a new paperweight instead!
Pros: Lots of features to make you feel like you got a good deal...
Cons: The BEFSX41 firewall, and Linksys in general, will waste your time and money. I am on the 2nd replacement for this one now because the device keeps freezing whenever I perform heavy bandwidth operations, like FTP. I have been thru 4 different firmware v
- Manufacturer: Cisco
- Part number: BEFSX41
- Description: The Linksys Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint is the perfect solution for connecting a small group of PCs to a high-speed broadband Internet connection or a 10/100 Ethernet backbone. The Router can be configured to limit internal users' Internet access based on URLs and/or time periods - URL filtering and time filtering. For enhanced protection against intruders from the Internet, the Router features an advanced Stateful Packet Inspection firewall. Use the Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint to create IPSec VPN tunnels, so you can securely connect to the corporate server from your home office - or any location when you're on the road. The Router provides a dedicated port for DMZ hosting and acts as the only externally recognized Internet gateway on your local area network (LAN). With the performance and security features of the Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint, your network will take advantage of the Internet while keeping its data secure.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Device Type Router
- Enclosure Type Desktop
- Compatible Slots None
- Data Link Protocol Ethernet,
- Data Transfer Rate 100 Mbps
- Built-in Devices LED panel
- Remote Management Protocol SNMP 2,
- Encryption Algorithm DES,
- Features VPN support ,
Full duplex capability ,
Firewall protection ,
DMZ port ,
- Compliant Standards IEEE 802.3u , FCC Class B certified,
- Type None
Expansion / Connectivity
- Interfaces LAN : 4 x Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 4,
1 x Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 1
- Expansion Slots None
- Expansion Bays None
- Expansion Slot(s) Total (Free) None
- Expansion Bay(s) Total (Free) None
- Port(s) Total (Free) / Connector Type 4 4 Installed Network node Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX:RJ-45 Female 4,
1 1 Installed Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX:RJ-45 Female 1
- Connectivity Technology Wired
- Networking type Router
- Switching protocol [Jan 21, 2011 from CDS: Networking] Ethernet
- Network / Transport Protocol PPTP ,
- Communication mode [Jan 21, 2011 from CDS: Networking] Full-duplex,
- Status Indicators Test mode,
Port duplex mode
- Networking standards [Jul 2, 2008 from CDS: Networking] IEEE 802.3u ,
- Power Device Power adapter
- Power Supply / Device Power adapter
- Voltage Provided 12 V
- Miscellaneous compliant standards FCC Class B certified
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included Drivers & Utilities
- Modem Type None
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
Expansion / Port(s) Required
- Slot(s) Required None
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 7.3 in
- Depth 6.1 in
- Height 1.9 in
- Weight 0.9 lbs
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 85%
- Service / Support Details Limited warranty 1 year