Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint
Manufacturer: Cisco Part number: BEFSX41
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 08/22/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $89.00
- Reviewed by: Xiao Ming Wu
- Reviewed on: 06/17/2004
- Released on: 06/01/2003
The good: Can support two VPN tunnels; cheap.
The bad: Lacks AppleTalk support; lacks VPN client software.
The bottom line: The BEFSX41 is an affordable solution for those who need secure access to their home or office network via the Internet.
Bad to tha bone
Pros: Router got it all, needs nothing.
Cons: Lots of bugs in firmware, reboots often. Some time needs hardware reset. NOT for PRO or gamer is not stabil. Buy a 3com instead
After 1 year+ of trying this product is garbage.
Pros: It supports 2 VPN tunnels and *sometimes* they are quite fast. It also has SNMP, NNTP and remote logging.
Cons: The current firmware reboots itself on Verizon(tm) DSL. You can't set the MTU. Try "tracert" watch it reboot. The VPN tunnels are NOT stable at all (tried for 1+ year with 7 versions of firmware) and the DDNS function is still not close to stable. Trie
4 different IT contractors haven't been able to get our router to function consistently yet.
Pros: Sometimes will allow you to use the internet or check your email. Forces you to make many new computer repairman friends.
Cons: Drops the internet connection at whim and after rebooting, stays disconnected for days.
Pros: decent firewall software
Cons: I have to agree with another user on here. This firewall does reboot, or disconnects me every so often. I don't have any explanation for it. I'll be in surfing, and then all of a sudden, the connection drops. I even put a static IP on my PC, but it st
Greatest Router on the Market
Pros: This router comes with full firewall protection, easy set up, and all the extras. You can adjust you firewall settings, which is another nice thing that most other routers don't have
Cons: Although this product is a little more spendy than most routers, it's worth the added protection.
MAC filters don't work
Pros: Easy to set up and works reliably. Has good log features.
Cons: The MAC (or IP) specific internet blocking and web site filtering do not work for me or several other people I have corresponded with on the net. I have not seen one post of someone who has claimed success with these features, though rest of features see
Great Router, Needs Help Though
Pros: Router has some great functions especially with Firmware 1.45.3, although none of the options on the Filters page work(only ones I've tried customizing)1.45.3 also has trouble with Xbox Live!, Had to go back to 1.44 to get Xbox Live! to work and to get We
Cons: Would be great if all 1.45.3 Firmware features would work. Their tech support needs some extensive training, would be a good idea to have them Cisco Certified, especially since Cisco bought company.
Piece of cake to setup. Works great with Cablevision OOL and Linksys Modem. Dump your surfboard.
Pros: Extremely easy setup. Coordinates well with other Linksys products. Good firewall protection.
Cons: No activity log on intrusions.
Bad DHCP Functionality
Pros: - 10/100 WAN - Basic NAT Protection - SPI & DoS Protection - 2 ports of VPN tunnelling - Great Value for $$$
Cons: - Cannot connect using DHCP with Qwest VDSL in Phoenix. Can only connect statically
Good but VPN causes it to lock up
Summary: Works great as a simple router and switch. However, when using it as a VPN endpoint, the device would intermittently hang up and not respond to WAN traffic or pass ...
Summary: Works great as a simple router and switch. However, when using it as a VPN endpoint, the device would intermittently hang up and not respond to WAN traffic or pass traffic from LAN to WAN. I worked with tech support and tried 5 different firmware revisions - no luck.
- Manufacturer: Cisco
- Part number: BEFSX41
- Description: The Linksys Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint is the perfect solution for connecting a small group of PCs to a high-speed broadband Internet connection or a 10/100 Ethernet backbone. The Router can be configured to limit internal users' Internet access based on URLs and/or time periods - URL filtering and time filtering. For enhanced protection against intruders from the Internet, the Router features an advanced Stateful Packet Inspection firewall. Use the Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint to create IPSec VPN tunnels, so you can securely connect to the corporate server from your home office - or any location when you're on the road. The Router provides a dedicated port for DMZ hosting and acts as the only externally recognized Internet gateway on your local area network (LAN). With the performance and security features of the Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint, your network will take advantage of the Internet while keeping its data secure.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Device Type Router
- Enclosure Type Desktop
- Compatible Slots None
- Data Link Protocol Ethernet,
- Data Transfer Rate 100 Mbps
- Built-in Devices LED panel
- Remote Management Protocol SNMP 2,
- Encryption Algorithm DES,
- Features VPN support ,
Full duplex capability ,
Firewall protection ,
DMZ port ,
- Compliant Standards IEEE 802.3u , FCC Class B certified,
- Type None
Expansion / Connectivity
- Interfaces LAN : 4 x Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 4,
1 x Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 1
- Expansion Slots None
- Expansion Bays None
- Expansion Slot(s) Total (Free) None
- Expansion Bay(s) Total (Free) None
- Port(s) Total (Free) / Connector Type 4 4 Installed Network node Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX:RJ-45 Female 4,
1 1 Installed Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX:RJ-45 Female 1
- Connectivity Technology Wired
- Networking type Router
- Switching protocol [Jan 21, 2011 from CDS: Networking] Ethernet
- Network / Transport Protocol PPTP ,
- Communication mode [Jan 21, 2011 from CDS: Networking] Full-duplex,
- Status Indicators Test mode,
Port duplex mode
- Networking standards [Jul 2, 2008 from CDS: Networking] IEEE 802.3u ,
- Power Device Power adapter
- Power Supply / Device Power adapter
- Voltage Provided 12 V
- Miscellaneous compliant standards FCC Class B certified
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included Drivers & Utilities
- Modem Type None
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
Expansion / Port(s) Required
- Slot(s) Required None
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 7.3 in
- Depth 6.1 in
- Height 1.9 in
- Weight 0.9 lbs
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 85%
- Service / Support Details Limited warranty 1 year