Epson Perfection 4990 photo scanner
Manufacturer: Epson Part number: B11B175012
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Amazon.com Marketplace|| || || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 12/09/2013
|4MD Medical|| Not yet rated || || |
as of 11/24/2013
CNET editors' take
price range: $249.99
- Reviewed by: John Blackford
- Edited by: Lori Grunin
- Reviewed on: 03/29/2005
- Released on: 03/01/2005
The good: Very easy to set up; solid flatbed scan quality; great value.
The bad: Soft detail on film scans.
The bottom line: A versatile and inexpensive model for producing high-quality scans of photographs and film.
Short of drum scanning this is a very good option.
by Garry_M on July 15, 2005
Pros: Good sharpness and colour accuracy. Scans Velvia well.
Cons: Film carrier is not convenient for 6 x 7 slide film.
Summary: I mistakenly entered this review under the section for the Epson Perfection 4990 Pro; you might have seen it there. The two scanners are similar. I hope that my experience ...
Summary: I mistakenly entered this review under the section for the Epson Perfection 4990 Pro; you might have seen it there. The two scanners are similar. I hope that my experience with this scanner will be of help.
My primary use for a scanner is scanning transparencies, and I am under no dilussions that a flat bed will match drum scanning or a dedicated film scanner. Since I shoot 6x7 slide film, a dedicated film scanner wasn't an option - there are none. The Dimage 5400 would be my choice, but it scans 35mm only.
I had bought the Canoscan 9950F and was disappointed with the results; the color was desaturated and inaccurate; shadow detail was poor; blues and greens were very dark.
I decided to exchange it for the Epson Perfection 4990. Having had a chance to try the Canon 9950F and compare scannings of the same slides with the Epson Perfection 4990, I am quite pleased with the Epson Perfection 4990. Color accuracy is good. It scans shadow well. There is better definition in the saturated blues and greens of landscapes.
To find a better scanner than the Epson Perfection 4990 - especially for transparenies - you would have to spend a lot more money. The Canoscan had a number of convenient features, but in terms of scan quality the Epson Perfection 4990 definately comes out on top.
52 out of 53 users found this user opinion helpful.
4990 PHOTO + Firewire cable = smooth sailing
by PSSaini on August 9, 2005
Pros: FAST High quality scans, Epson reputation for scanners
Cons: It's rather large
Summary: This is for people who consider scanning pictures a top priority. Setup was quick. IT IS WINDOWS XP compatable, I don't know what another reviewer was talking about. Firewire ...
Summary: This is for people who consider scanning pictures a top priority. Setup was quick. IT IS WINDOWS XP compatable, I don't know what another reviewer was talking about. Firewire is a must, usb 2.0 does not suffice. After using this scanner for 4 months, I've scanned 1000+ photos. I bought this to scan all the old photos of my parents (from the 1950's and 60's), and to scan all the images of my sister's and my childhood. All of these photos were stored in albums, but after a major reorganiztion, we decided to save our images to guarantee their existance. I use this scanner in conjunction with the Canon i9900 photo printer and have received outstanding enlargements of images over 50 years old. The Digital ICE feature is nice, but takes quite a bit of time to complete. Buy this if you have a lot of photos to save. After ensuring that my family photos will always be around, I think the price I paid was validated.
36 out of 37 users found this user opinion helpful.
Just buy it.
by SCWatts on October 30, 2005
Pros: Excellent scans and easy to use.
Cons: Reflective document mat could be firmer - thus flatter.
Summary: I was looking for the best scanner with Digital Ice. I purchased and returned a Microtek i900 because I didn't like the gray reflective document mat. I use scanners ...
Summary: I was looking for the best scanner with Digital Ice. I purchased and returned a Microtek i900 because I didn't like the gray reflective document mat. I use scanners frequently to copy and digitize documents and wanted a white reflective mat.
The Epson Perfection 4990 does a superb job with photos, documents, and film. I'm extremely happy with this purchase and feel I've obtained a scanner that will meet my needs for years to come.
If you are looking for a scanner, and expect to use it to scan in any film or prints that are creased or torn, make sure you get one with Digital Ice. Nothing compares to this technology -- it's a must have.
33 out of 33 users found this user opinion helpful.
An excellent bit of kit
by pianos on April 9, 2005
Pros: Digital ICE for both film and reflection copy
Cons: Epson dust removal feature seems to cause artefacts
Summary: Additional SilverFast SE scan software seems to cause quirky hickups. Stick to Epsonscan.The 35 mm strip film holder does not hold film flat across the shortside of the film ...
Summary: Additional SilverFast SE scan software seems to cause quirky hickups. Stick to Epsonscan.The 35 mm strip film holder does not hold film flat across the shortside of the film format, but depth of field seems to compensate. Flatbed scans are as good as any I have seen.
User opinion CLETIS obviously has not used,seen or heard this scanner and should refrain from any comment.
Price does seem on the high side, but if you want quality, you,ve got to shell out.
13 out of 14 users found this user opinion helpful.
Great Scanner . . . but no support for Windows XP
by SearsFan81 on May 30, 2005
Pros: Everything else.
Cons: No support for Windows XP.
Summary: I agree with every other bit the last writer wrote in his review of this product. I downgrade this model a bit due to the fact that there is no ...
Summary: I agree with every other bit the last writer wrote in his review of this product. I downgrade this model a bit due to the fact that there is no support for any member of the MS Windows family (supports only Mac OS).
10 out of 18 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Epson
- Part number: B11B175012
- Description: With the image quality of a dedicated film scanner, plus the flexibility of a flatbed scanner all in one affordable product, the Epson Perfection 4990 Photo delivers a total digital scanning solution. This powerful performer scans multiple slides simultaneously, as well as negatives and photos. And, with its built-in transparency unit, it accommodates film up to 8" x 10". Housed in a sleek outer case with an illuminated scan progress indicator, this scanner delivers intricate detail, due to an astounding 4800 x 9600 dpi resolution, 48-bit color depth, and 4.0 Dmax. And, it easily restores faded or damaged film and photos with Epson Easy Photo Fix and DIGITAL ICE Technology.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Type Flatbed scanner - Desktop
- Interface Type FireWire,
- Input Type Color
- Grayscale Depth 16-bit (64K gray levels)
- Grayscale Depth (External) 16-bit (64K gray levels)
- Color Depth 48-bit color
- Color Depth (External) 48-bit color
- Optical Resolution 4800 dpi x 9600 dpi
- Interpolated Resolution 12800 dpi x 12800 dpi
- Scan Mode Single-pass
- Scan Element Type CCD
- Lamp / Light Source Type Cold cathode fluorescent lamp
- Scan Density Range 4.0D
- Scanner Speed Details - black&white - A4 - 300 dpi,
- Color - A4 - 300 dpi,
- black&white - 4800 dpi,
- Color - 4800 dpi,
- Preview - Full-page,
- Color - A4 - 600 dpi,
- Film (positives) - 2400 dpi,
- Film (negatives) - 2400 dpi,
- Film (positives) - 4800 dpi,
- Film (negatives) - 4800 dpi
- Compliant Standards TWAIN
- Supported Document Type Film,
- Document Feeder Type Manual load
- Optical Storage None
Expansion / Connectivity
- Expansion Slot(s) None
- Interfaces USB 2.0 - Type B,
FireWire - 6 pin FireWire
- Included Accessories Film holder
- Cables Included 1 x USB cable
- Microsoft Certifications Certified for Windows Vista
- Power Device Internal power supply
- Power Consumption Operational ( Standby ) 27 Watt
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included SilverFast SE 6,
Adobe PhotoShop Elements,
ABBYY FineReader Sprint,
Drivers & utilities
- OS Required Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP,
Apple MacOS X 10.2 or later
- Peripheral / Interface Devices CD-ROM
- System Requirements Details Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP - RAM 128 MB - HD 300 MB ( USB ),
Windows 2000/XP - RAM 128 MB - HD 300 MB ( Hi-Speed USB ),
Windows 2000/ME/XP - RAM 128 MB - HD 300 MB ( FireWire ),
MacOS X 10.2 or later - PowerPC G3 - RAM 128 MB - HD 300 MB ( USB ),
MacOS X 10.2.7 or later - PowerPC G3 - RAM 128 MB - HD 300 MB ( Hi-Speed USB ),
MacOS X 10.2 or later - PowerPC G3 - RAM 128 MB - HD 300 MB ( FireWire )
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
- Humidity Range Operating 10 - 80%