Kodak i2400 - document scanner
Manufacturer: Kodak Part number: 8835183
- CNET Editor rating: Not yet rated
- Average user rating: 5.0 stars out of 1 review
- Take a moment to think about those multiple-step scanning operations that are done again and again, day after day. Scanning, editing, naming, choosing a file format - it's so repetitive. Now imagine the time and money you could save by doing all that at the press of a button. That's what Kodak's smart touch functionality is all ... Read more
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/31/2014
| || In stock |
Free Ground Shipping
as of 07/31/2014
|What you need. What you need to know.|| || In stock || |
as of 07/31/2014
| || In stock || |
as of 07/31/2014
| || In stock || |
as of 07/31/2014
Compatible with Dell Windows 7 64 computer
by Barzillai on August 3, 2011
Pros: Directly produces searchable PDF files. Fast, easy to use. Kodak service is excellent.
Cons: The i2400 can't scan books and needs the optional A4 flatbed, but the i2400 is black and the A4 is cream-colored. The con is that it would be better is they were both cream-colored.
Summary: The Kodak i2400 and its A4 flatbed are connected to a Dell M4500 laptop Windows 7 64 computer. The i2400 and A4 flatbed work great together and the price was ...
Summary: The Kodak i2400 and its A4 flatbed are connected to a Dell M4500 laptop Windows 7 64 computer. The i2400 and A4 flatbed work great together and the price was less than I expected to pay.It has been about 10 months since I purchased the Kodak i2400 scanner and the Kodak A4 Flatbed. I needed to call Kodak service today for the A4 and once again received fast excellent service. Kodak's service is A+
My impression after using these products for a month is that Kodak is serious about making high-quality and affordable business scanning products and providing its customers the highest quality of warranty and technical support.
DEVICE OPERATION: Excellent. I use the i2400 to scan single-sided 8.5"x11" color and black & white documents to searchable PDF format for my business and several community projects. The i2400 and A5 work perfectly. There are i2xxx-series Kodak scanners with more features and capacity, the i2400 seems to be the basic i2xxx-series unit and it is the least expensive.
After using a basic model of some device, we might think that a model with more features would have been a better buy because the product descriptions turned out to be a little exaggerated, but I had none of those thoughts about the i2400 and its A4 flatbed. Everything is as Kodak described, nothing was puffed-up in terms of this model's features and capability. Both of these products are well designed and solidly made. The i2400 and A4 flatbed have all the scanning features I need for business and personal projects.
I need a scanner that scans to searchable PDF format directly and easily. The i2400 produces the searchable PDF file automatically when the start-scan button is pushed.
Searchable PDF is a PDF format that I use for two purposes not available in a regular PDF document without the additional step of OCR conversion or retyping the PDF document.
First, I often need to quote a paragraph from a scanned PDF document in a report or email I write to a client. A searchable PDF document allows me to select, copy, and paste PDF text.
Second, as the name states, a searchable PDF then becomes indexable on my Windows computer and when I use Windows or some other computer-search program to find documents containing a particular word, the searchable PDF documents containing that word are also found in the search along with all other files such as Word, or WordPerfect documents, etc.
The i2400 has 9 scan profiles that can be set and reconfigured -- such as for different formats, color or B&W, file destination (nice feature), preview, and quality of scan.
The i2400 tilts for use and then tilts back when not in use. At first I thought this was a needless feature, but now use it all the time to save space on my crowded desk. The i2400 is very compact.
Scanning with the i2400 is done by loading the documents and then selecting one of the 9 scanning profiles (LED numbers 1-9), and then pushing the start-scan button on the i2400.
The i2400 scan specs say it scans up to 30 pages per minute. I have not timed how fast my black & white documents scan, but it is very fast and seems like it must be 30 pages a minute, very impressive. With high-quality color as an option it seems the i2400 scan speed is about 50% of the BW, but still very fast for my uses.
The A4 flatbed is also used for low volume, and its scan is much slower than the 12400, but I use the A4 flatbed 99% for scanning parts of books for quoting (with proper attribution) in other documents and reports. The one picture I scanned needed to be at very high resolution and it came out perfectly. The A4 scans 8.5"x 11" documents. The A4 measures 11.2" x 18.7," not the largest flatbed, but it takes up a lot of space.
Scanning with the A4 flatbed is done by placing a document onto the flatbed and then opening the Tray Kodak icon on the computer and clicking one of the 9 scanning profiles from the drop-down window.
KODAK SERVICE: Perfect and fast.
When the i2400 arrived it did not work, I deal with many support departments for my equipment and software, and expected that I would talk with several Kodak warranty screeners or departments on my way to getting the problem resolved. I easily found the Kodak warranty telephone number. I made a single 5-minute call and the replacement arrived a couple of days later. I could be wrong, but I think I only talked with the Kodak warranty person who answered the phone, if not, I was transferred immediately to the person who determined the i2400 needed to be replaced.
Today, after a month of using the i2400 and A4 flatbed, I called the general Kodak Tech support desk when I could not determine how to set the A4 flatbed to work seamlessly with the i2400. I talked with a knowledgeable screener and the tech rep who walked me through the set up options. The screener told the tech rep why I was calling and so he already knew my problem when I began talking with him. He walked me through the change of setting mentioned below.
Both the warranty department and Tech Support folks are some of the best I have encountered. Every person seemed professional and interested in doing well for the customer.
MORE ON DISLIKES: The i2400 is black and the A4 is cream-colored. Kodak's products would look better sitting next to each other if they were both the same color. I like the cream-color.
The documentation could be better on how to set the A4 to work with the i2400. The Paper Source needs to be set to Automatic because when the A4 Flatbed is used there is no paper in the i2400. The fix is: Right-click Kodak Tray Icon > Configure > Settings > Settings (yes again) > Device > Paper Source > Automatic (this is where the setting is changed to Automatic). This was the only setting I could not figure out on my own.
The i2400 and A4 flatbed scanner work fast and perfectly for scanning 8.5"x 11" black & white and color documents automatically into searchable PDF documents for my business on my Windows 7 64 Dell computer. The i2400 has a full range of settings and options such as picture scanning, but I use it for office-document scanning.
I bought the Kodak after I could not get my HP 5590 scanner to work with my Dell M4500 Windows 7 64 computer and compared the specifications of the scanners made by other scanner manufacturers. Because of the problems I had with my previous scanner, I was concerned that there would be some hidden glitch that would cause a problem. Kodak's website has clear and complete descriptions of their products.
The Kodak i2400 and A4 are excellent products and Kodak service is astonishingly competent and fast.
For my business, this was one of the very best purchases in 2011.
Updated on Apr 20, 2012
The quality of the scans from the Kodak i2400 and A4 are excellent.
I continue to highly recommend these products for anyone's business office.
- Manufacturer: Kodak
- Part number: 8835183
- Description: Take a moment to think about those multiple-step scanning operations that are done again and again, day after day. Scanning, editing, naming, choosing a file format - it's so repetitive. Now imagine the time and money you could save by doing all that at the press of a button. That's what Kodak's smart touch functionality is all about. The Kodak i2400 scanner with built-in Smart Touch functionality lets you capture, manage, process, and deliver PDFs and other file formats - automating processes that previously were time-consuming.
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Type Document scanner - Desktop
- Interface Type USB 2.0
- Max Supported Document Size 8.5 in x 160 in
- Input Type Color
- Grayscale Depth (External) 8-bit (256 gray levels)
- Color Depth 48-bit color
- Color Depth (External) 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
- Optical Resolution 600 dpi
- Interpolated Resolution 1200 dpi
- Automatic Duplexing Yes
- Scan Element Type Dual CCD
- Lamp / Light Source Type Dual LED
- Max Document Scan Speed B/W 30 ppm
- Max Document Scan Speed Color 30 ppm
- Duty Cycle 2000 scans per day
- Scanner Speed Details 30 ppm - Portrait B&W - Letter - 200 dpi,
30 ppm - Portrait color - Letter - 200 dpi,
30 ppm - Portrait B&W - Letter - 300 dpi,
30 ppm - Portrait color - Letter - 300 dpi,
60 ipm - Portrait B&W - Letter - 200 dpi,
60 ipm - Portrait color - Letter - 200 dpi,
60 ipm - Portrait B&W - Letter - 300 dpi,
60 ipm - Portrait color - Letter - 300 dpi
- Scanner Features Automatic color detection,
Blank page skipping,
Adaptive threshold processing,
Automatic Image Orientation,
Ultrasonic Multi Feed Detection,
Multi Color Dropout,
Auto white balance,
- Compliant Standards ISIS,
- Max Document Size 8.5 in x 160 in
- Supported Document Type Plain paper
- Document Feeder Type Autoload
- Feeder Capacity 50 sheets
Expansion / Connectivity
- Interfaces USB 2.0 - Type B
- Cables Included 1 x USB cable
- Compliant Standards FCC Class B certified,
AS/NZS 3548 Class B,
FCC CFR47 Part 15 B,
CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 60950-1-07,
BSMI CNS 14336,
VCCI Class B ITE,
GB 9254 Class B,
ICES-003 issue 4 Class B,
EN 60950-1 Second Edition,
IEC 60950-1 Second Edition,
EN55022 Class B,
CISPR 22 Class B,
BSMI CNS 13438 Class B
- ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
- Power Device External power adapter
- Voltage Required AC 120/230 V
- Power Consumption Operational ( Standby ) 32 Watt ( 4 Watt )
- Battery Installed - None
Software / System Requirements
- Software Included Drivers & utilities,
KODAK Smart Touch,
KODAK Capture Desktop Software,
- OS Required Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition,
Microsoft Windows Vista (32/64 bits) SP1,
Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition SP2,
Red Hat Fedora Core 10,
Microsoft Windows XP SP2,
SuSE Linux 11.1,
Microsoft Windows XP SP3,
Microsoft Windows 7 (32/64 bits)
- System Requirements Details Core 2 Duo - 2 GHz - RAM 2 GB
- Service & Support 3 years warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Replacement - 3 years - response time: Next business day
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 13 in
- Depth 6.4 in
- Height 9.7 in
- Weight 12.1 lbs
- Min Operating Temperature 50 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 95 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 15 - 76%
- Sound Emission 55 dBA