2011 BMW ActiveHybrid 7
Manufacturer: BMW of North America Part number: 101266492
- Bottom Line:
- Although a tech powerhouse, in some ways the hybrid system in the 2011 BMW ActiveHybrid 7 feels like a novelty. It adds power and fuel efficiency, but also adds quirks to everyday driving. Cutting-edge cabin tech features are available in all 7-series models.
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
|Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price From Edmunds.com|| || || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 05/24/2013
CNET editors' review
price range: $102,300.00
- Reviewed by: Wayne Cunningham
- Reviewed on: 03/18/2011
The good: BMW's hybrid system adds significant power to the 2011 ActiveHybrid 7, while making it the most fuel-efficient 7-series model. An active suspension gives the car excellent handling. Google local search integrates with the navigation system.
The bad: Points-of-interest and music library screens are unintuitive, and not easy to operate while driving. The hybrid system's idle stop feature shuts off power steering and doesn't work well in stop-and-go traffic.
The bottom line: Although a tech powerhouse, in some ways the hybrid system in the 2011 BMW ActiveHybrid 7 feels like a novelty. It adds power and fuel efficiency, but also adds quirks to everyday driving. Cutting-edge cabin tech features are available in all 7-series models.
Fast Luxury Cruiser
by NewCents05 on September 25, 2011
Pros: Extremely fast, extremely luxurious. It is the essence of excess and well worth it.
Cons: This much technology and youll have nightmares once its out of warranty. Rear tires are too narrow (275) and will tend to burn rubber on kickdown at <40mph
Summary: This is not a prius. It never was designed to be a prius. Cnet is taking the 0-60 from bmw but it has been tested to do 0-60 in 4....
Summary: This is not a prius. It never was designed to be a prius. Cnet is taking the 0-60 from bmw but it has been tested to do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and the quarter mile in 12.8, I would like to see a prius do that. A prius also does not come with alcantara headliner, leather padded dash, hud and a slew of luxurious amenities that makes this car unique. The review of this car barks at the price when they didnt factor in that it comes with many features optional on the 740i as standard. The e-boost from the electric battery in itself is worth the asking price over a standard 750i. Its instantaneous torque with a tesla roadster feel of acceleration mated with a twin turbo v8 and you wonder how they made this match made in heaven. The 8 speed is quick and snappy with its up and down shifts with a nice smooth blipping of the throttle. No, the person who buys this isn't buying it for the snob appeal of owning a hybrid with crazy gas mileage but more for the support of a better technology for the future (which is already becoming apparent in bmws i3 and i8) and to not give up on the performance aspect of a flagship sedan. I think the 740 was a mistake. A car of this magnitude states "ive arrived" but the 740 allows for a more entry level of this feeling and has diminished the appeal of the 7 compared to the e60 body style. Of the hybrid luxury sedans on the market (panamera, ls, and s) The 7 takes the cake and will leave the rest awing at its icicle looking tail lights. Let the haters hate for not working to the point where they could have such a wonderful predicament of choosing the best stablemate. If they could make an x drive version, it would be the perfect car.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Brilliant art work
by konark18 on March 27, 2011
Pros: Technology, Luxury, Performance, Power
Cons: None - so far.
For some people price might matter. Also, this is not a usual hybrid car - so this might not be for you if you are looking for a good fuel economy vehicle.
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
Maybe the best 7 series model!
by jdefg2000 on January 26, 2012
Pros: Incredibly powerful and fast. The immediate response of the electronic motor is amazing. Handling is impressive. Looks are beautiful. Technology is top of line. Luxury also top of line.
Cons: The engine start/stop takes a little getting used to. Or it can be disabled in sport mode or wiggling the steering wheel.
Summary: This car has the performance of a V-12 engine but with the fuel efficiency of a V-6.....what a marvel! I can't imagine a much better overall car.
Summary: This car has the performance of a V-12 engine but with the fuel efficiency of a V-6.....what a marvel! I can't imagine a much better overall car.yeah I got to say you know nothing of this car, and are silly enough to judge it only based on gas mileage. The point of this car was to push the envelope of performance technology in regards to fuel economy. It's this type of technology that will pave the way for better mileage cars that also will have great mileage/or electric. This will then lead to the eventuality that all car purchases will have great mileage because performance will be good enough for those who demand it. You review is arrogant, and to be blunt, incredibly short sighted, will no ability to see the big picture.
Updated on Jan 26, 2012
Terrible Gas Mileage for a Hybrid
by dlauber on March 21, 2011
Pros: Costs so much few people will be foolish enough to buy one. At least it gets better mileage than comparable BMW gas guzzlers
Cons: It's still a gas guzzler. Getting EPA ratings of 17 mpg city and 26 highway, just 4 mpg better than the 750i has got to be embarrassing for anybody who knows hybrids. The reviewer didn't have enough time to get used to driving a hybrid with its idle-stop
1 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: BMW of North America
- Part number: 101266492
- Bottom Line: Although a tech powerhouse, in some ways the hybrid system in the 2011 BMW ActiveHybrid 7 feels like a novelty. It adds power and fuel efficiency, but also adds quirks to everyday driving. Cutting-edge cabin tech features are available in all 7-series models.
Basic car properties
- Body style Sedan
- Available Engine Hybrid
- Smart airbags Standard
- Antilock brakes Standard
- Traction control Standard
- Stability control Standard
- Roadside assistance Standard
- Adaptive cruise control Standard
- Rain-sensitive wipers Standard
- Satellite radio Optional
- Video entertainment system Standard
- Multizone entertainment Standard
- Connection for portable MP3 sound system Standard
- MP3 CD-enabled sound system Standard
- Media hard-disk MP3 sound system Standard
- USB connection Standard
- Multizone climate control Standard
- Heated/cooled seats Standard
- Two-way security system Standard
- 12V power outlet Standard
- Drivetrain available Rear-drive
- Voice activated navigation Standard
- Bluetooth phone interface Standard
- Home automation integration Standard
- Alpine SWR-T10 (34107973)299.95 - 599.99
- Alpine SWR-T12 (34108169)349.00 - 599.99
- Alpine Type-X SWX-1042D - car subwoofer driver (30844010)400.00
- Alpine PDX F6 - amplifier (34108098)442.00 - 749.99
- Alpine PDX m12 - amplifier (34107893)499.99 - 900.00
- Alpine PDX-4.100M - amplifier (32902319)378.95 - 599.99
- Alpine IVA D106 DVD player with LCD monitor and AM/FM tuner (32856807)751.24
- Alpine PKG-M780 two LCD monitors / controller module (32463943)534.95
- Alpine PKG-RSE2 DVD player with LCD monitor (32138841)551.21 - 699.99
- Alpine SPX 13PRO - car speaker (32814387)348.00 - 650.00
- Alpine SPX 17PRO - car speaker (32814395)422.00 - 650.00
- Alpine SPX-13REF Component Speaker System (32783278)219.99 - 399.00
- Metra MFK-3010S-1 navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (35119503)999.99
- Metra MFK-5823-CH-1 navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (35117050)999.99
- Sony XNV-770BT navigation system with DVD player, LCD monitor, digital player and radio (34390050)675.00 - 1199.95
- Manufacturer profile
- Browse BMW of North America products on Shopper.com
- Manufacturer:BMW of North America
300 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731