Polk Audio CS1 (black)
Manufacturer: Polk Audio, Inc. Part number: CS1
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 09/02/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $89.99
- Reviewed by: Steve Guttenberg
- Edited by: David Carnoy
- Reviewed on: 12/07/2004
- Released on: 07/15/2004
The good: Full-size center speaker; two 5.25-inch woofers flanking a 1-inch soft-dome tweeter.
The bad: It might be too large for some tastes.
The bottom line: This full-size center-channel speaker sounds good with both movies and music and blends well with Polk's other Monitor Series speakers.
Excellent sound and looks great too!
by steveny on May 1, 2005
Pros: Inexpensive center channel speaker.
Cons: Faux cherry veneer but it still looks very good
Summary: I added this speaker ($200) to my other Polk monitors (40's on the front & 30's surround w/PS 10 sub-woofer driven with the entry level Sony digital ...
Summary: I added this speaker ($200) to my other Polk monitors (40's on the front & 30's surround w/PS 10 sub-woofer driven with the entry level Sony digital receiver). Total cost was about $900 not counting wires, stands etc. (Sub was free). For the money you won't find a better sounding (and looking) system. The center channel really brings out chords in concert dvd's I hadn't heard before as well as sounds in movies. High end clarity is superb and the woofers round out nicely on the soundtrack and effects. I highly recommend this center channel speaker.
4 out of 4 users found this user opinion helpful.
Beautiful sound and design!
by gcook67 on May 31, 2005
Pros: Crisp, Clear and very accurate movie dialogue!
Cons: I have absolutely no regreats
Summary: I currently returned a Bose VCS-10 center channel speaker that was paired up with my Bose AM5 speakers due to the dialogue sounding muffled. When I purchased the Polk CS1 ...
Summary: I currently returned a Bose VCS-10 center channel speaker that was paired up with my Bose AM5 speakers due to the dialogue sounding muffled. When I purchased the Polk CS1 I a little nervous that it would not blend well in sound with my Bose speakers. When I got home and hooked it up I couldn't believe how Crisp, Clear and accurate the movie dialogue was. Because it puts out so much sound with less wattage (proving it is more efficient than the Bose) I had to turn up the surround speakers to + 5db. The sound is superb and I would recommend this speaker to Anybody!!!
3 out of 3 users found this user opinion helpful.
by Allan Hendricks on October 9, 2005
Pros: I hooked this speaker up today and watch Phantom of the Opera with it on and it sounded awesome.
Cons: no cons on this item.
Summary: I saw this item advertised at Fry's in San Diego for $100 off and got it for only $79 plus tax. Circuit City had a similar one for $179 ...
Summary: I saw this item advertised at Fry's in San Diego for $100 off and got it for only $79 plus tax. Circuit City had a similar one for $179 retail but would not match Fry's price since the stock number was two numbers off but had the same configuration with the speakers.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
Cant beat it for the price !
by JT45 on July 22, 2010
Pros: Very solid construction,Classic moniter series quality sound. Low price.
Cons: None that i have found !
Summary: I picked up this speaker for 69.00 and it sounds awsome, From the specs i would say it is just the same as the newer CS10 and can be ...
Summary: I picked up this speaker for 69.00 and it sounds awsome, From the specs i would say it is just the same as the newer CS10 and can be had even cheaper.If your looking for good budget center channel you wont be dissapointed with this one, it sounds much better than most centers in the 150.00 to 200.00 range.
by kennypc on March 23, 2009
Pros: I,ve owned this speaker for two years now and I swear it sounds better as time passes
Cons: none what soever
Summary: I LIKE THE APPEARENCE
Summary: I LIKE THE APPEARENCE
by edluver on July 14, 2008
Pros: looks & sounds great.
Cons: none whatsoever.
Summary: This is what music & movies r supposed to sound like.Crisp & clean,no distortion.Goes great with my monitor 70s & psw10.Match made in heaven.Highly recommend ...
Summary: This is what music & movies r supposed to sound like.Crisp & clean,no distortion.Goes great with my monitor 70s & psw10.Match made in heaven.Highly recommend this product,u can also get this @ electronics expo for 81.88 on sale.
Good Step Up
by soupgfx on April 13, 2008
Pros: Solid Performer
Cons: Not sure if it could handle the super highs
Summary: I got this center channel because it was needed to replace a cheap Panasonic center channel my father gave me. The cheap speaker was part of a cheap 5.1 ...
Summary: I got this center channel because it was needed to replace a cheap Panasonic center channel my father gave me. The cheap speaker was part of a cheap 5.1 system so when I would watch movies my higher-end fronts and rears would over power it, drowning out the dialog.
Once I bought this speaker, it finalized my system. Now I can hear every word and has completed my 5.1 system.
Seems like it could pull just a tinge of more lows to round out the spectrum but for the $117.00 I spent I'm not complaining.
Looks good and performs well. I figure when I ready to step up to the real "Audiophile" level, I'll dump more money into something more higher-end but for what I need right now, this speaker does all that I ask for.
Finally - great sound!
by crocktherock on February 26, 2007
Pros: Great sound
Cons: Boxy, LARGE, woody looking
Summary: I have been searching for a center speaker that does a movie good. Many speakers I've tried have a tinny sound, but this is rich, mellow, and got great ...
Summary: I have been searching for a center speaker that does a movie good. Many speakers I've tried have a tinny sound, but this is rich, mellow, and got great midrange. And can it crank! I read someplace that 85% of the sound comes out the middle channel on movies, this really does a movie justice! Beware tho that it's LARGE and dwarfs anything else you might have around it. It tends to draw attention to it because of it's size. What's the use of having tiny, unnoticable speakers tho if all you get is small crappy sound?
- Manufacturer: Polk Audio, Inc.
- Part number: CS1
- Description: The CS1 center speaker features high efficiency design that allows the CS1 to reveal the classic Polk Audio sound (open, spacious and clear) even when driven by modestly powered amplifiers and receivers. 1" (25mm) fabric/polymer composite dynamic balance dome tweeter with powerful Neodymium magnet structure delivers clear and detailed high frequency response for realistic reproduction of vocals and instruments. Bi-laminate composite dynamic balance drivers are lightweight and stiff with good damping for high efficiency, excellent bass and lower distortion. Non-resonant all-MDF enclosure construction with ¾"-thick baffles ensures cleaner, clearer, more lifelike sound quality. Reversible-design cabinets can be turned upside down to aim "up" when placed under a video monitor. Five-way binding post connectors provide more secure hook-up options, and bi-wiring and bi-amping flexibility. Magnetic shielding provides safe placement near TVs with no risk of video distortion. Critically tuned flared port minimizes port noise ("chuffing") for good low frequency extension with low port noise, resulting in natural, full-bodied sound with rich bass.
- Product type Speaker
- Speaker type Center channel speaker
- Speaker quantity 1 x Center channel speaker
- Dimensions (WxDxH) 18 in x 9.6 in x 7 in
- Weight 13 lbs
- Color Black
- Available colors black, cherry
- Amplification type Passive
- Driver configuration 2-way
- Woofer size (inches) 5.25 in,
- Response bandwidth 55 - 25000 Hz
- Input impedance 8 Ohm
- Recommended amplifier power 20 - 125 Watt
- Sensitivity 89 dB
- Crossover frequency 2300Hz
- Output features Bass Reflex
- Magnetic shield Yes
- Connectivity Wired
- Detachable grilles Yes
- Driver details Center channel speaker : 2 x Mid/woofer driver - 5.25 in - Dynamic Balance,
Center channel speaker : 1 x Tweeter driver - 1 in - Dynamic Balance
- Power device None
- Service & support 5 years warranty
- Service & support details Limited warranty - Parts and labor - 5 years