Mirage MX 5.1
Manufacturer: Mirage Loudspeakers Part number: MX51
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock || |
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 03/10/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $598.00
- Reviewed by: Steve Guttenberg
- Edited by: Jeff Bakalar
- Reviewed on: 02/20/2009
- Released on: 11/15/2008
The good: Incredibly tiny 5.1-channel home theater speaker package; includes matching 800-watt mini-subwoofer; Omnipolar technology produces huge, room-filling sound; extra satellites are available.
The bad: The MX's imaging isn't as precisely focused as that of standard boxy speakers--it may be too diffused for some tastes; these mighty mites are just too small for large listening rooms.
The bottom line: Innovative engineering solutions propel Mirage's MX 5.1 Home Theater System to the top spot in the small system/big sound sweepstakes.
A great choice for a small, affordable, high-end system
by tripper42 on October 31, 2010
Pros: Speakers are very small, but still pack a strong punch
Crystal clear sound
Cons: The cons I have experienced are minimal:
Cannot use banana plugs for the MX product line
Glossy finish collects dust
Summary: First of all, let me start by saying I am not an "audiophile." I like to have quality units in my home theater system and, after research, chose this product. ...
Summary: First of all, let me start by saying I am not an "audiophile." I like to have quality units in my home theater system and, after research, chose this product.
I have nothing but great things to say about this speaker system. The MX 5.1 has a retail price of $1,200 - Fortunately I was able to find it through other means at about $750. To be honest, it was worth every penny, and it would have been worth the $1,200 as well. I initially was thinking I would get a Bose sound system, but after reading numerous reviews which said the price did not yield the quality that it could, I decided to look elsewhere. I ultimately chose the Mirage MX 5.1.
The speakers are very small, about the size of a clenched fist. I recently added two, larger OS3-SAT speakers to the system in order to complete a 7.1 surround sound. If you're worried that the size of the units will affect their overall performance, don't be. In rooms from small, ranging to medium-large (not hugely large rooms, so I hear, but I can't speak from direct experience), the speakers create a crystal clear, room-filing sound. Every detail seems perfect, and there are times (in movies) when you receive the sensation of being "in" the movie. The omnipolar technology makes the sound fill the entire room, and you may find that you forget where the sound is coming from.
They are nice to have because they don't look like anything special - When people arrive at my house, they don't think much of the speakers. However, everyone is astounded by the sound they can generate. On numerous occasions people have told me they've never heard of a system that sounds so good/loud that is this small - I agree entirely. In regards to the subwoofer, I am almost equally as pleased. Though at times I wish it could pack a bigger punch, you'll be genuinely surprised when you hear this in action. Again, it is quite small, a cube of about 6 inches on each side. However, in movies like "The Dark Knight" or in songs with a lot of bass, it performs beautifully. At the size of the unit and the price, it will blow away your expectations.
I would recommend this system to anyone - Not only did I quickly become an avid fan of the company, but it also spurred me to write this review even though I traditionally don't review the products I purchase. When I am looking for a new system in the future, I will look at Mirage then, too - For the price and the size of the system, your dollar will probably go further than with any other choice. If you should need to hear them, you might be able to go to the "Magnolia" department a Best Buy store, I'm pretty sure they carry them there (though you should actually purchase them cheaper somewhere online).
Hope this helps for anyone interested in this or any other mirage system.
2 out of 2 users found this user opinion helpful.
What a great relief to find this product!
by MagicSlap on June 1, 2011
Pros: Quality of workmanship, packaging, and sound!, amazing!
Cons: Non so far.
Summary: After I moved into my smallish apartment, I have no choice but to go for speakers with smaller foot print. And hate, hate, hate to go for Bose system, because ...
Summary: After I moved into my smallish apartment, I have no choice but to go for speakers with smaller foot print. And hate, hate, hate to go for Bose system, because of the notorious quality issues in various reviews and also from friends' personal experience.
I have good quality Denon receiver, and I have spent(about 3 month??) searching for smallest available, high quality speakers, it was well worth the wait, and well worth the find.
If you want best quality sound, and you already have high quality audio setup for the rest of the system, and you live in a smallish apartment, and if you are marginally audiophile, these speakers will put a big smile on your face. It is amazing!
1 out of 1 users found this user opinion helpful.
- Manufacturer: Mirage Loudspeakers
- Part number: MX51
- Description: Offering "Minimum Exposure and Maximum Excitement", the MX home theater system delivers big, immersive audio entertainment from the smallest set of speakers yet. Whether you want to relax to smooth tunes or host a movie screening, the MX home audio speakers serve up some serious wow factor - immersive sound that won't drown out your decor or intrude upon your everyday lifestyle. Consisting of five itty bitty speakers and a miniature subwoofer cube, the MX is a sophisticated surround sound system that perfectly demonstrates what's possible using all of today's incredible technologies. In fact, its extremely high-performance drivers and components will blow you away, so hold on tight. Each two-way MX speaker has a maximum power handling of 100 watts, allowing it to work well with a wide variety of amplifiers. Inside each durable polycarbon enclosure, you'll find a pure titanium hybrid tweeter for warm, rich high frequencies and a 2.5-inch aluminum woofer for substantial, low distortion bass performance. However, the fact that Mirage was able to apply its unique Omnipolar technology to a product this size is the most impressive feature of them all - it's what makes these small audio speakers sound huge and immersive. At the core of Omnipolar technology, you'll find the patented Omniguide module, which has two deflectors. While one deflector rests on top of the speaker's tweeter, the tweeter itself is housed in a deflector, suspended over the woofer. These combined elements distribute sound directly towards the listener, as well as reflect it off walls, ceilings and other surfaces - resulting in a 360-degree soundstage that evenly permeates the listening environment. An 8-inch cube constructed of rigid MDF, the MX system's MM-6 subwoofer employs an 800-watt amplifier, dual 6.5-inch black anodized aluminum passive radiators and a 6.5-inch anodized aluminum cone woofer with an inverted Ribbed Elliptical Surround, delivering tight, powerful bass response with low distortion. The subwoofer also includes a proprietary protection circuit, letting you achieve clear bass at all volume levels. A low pass filter with bypass mode allows the subwoofer to blend perfectly with the other MX speakers, using the built-in crossover or a home theater receiver.
- Audio system type Speaker system
- System configuration 5.1-channel
- Speakers included 4 x Satellite speakers,
1 x Center channel speaker,
1 x Subwoofer
- Color High-gloss black
- Additional Features Omnipolar technology
- Amplification type Active subwoofer, passive satellites
- Woofer size (inches) 5/8 in,
- Response bandwidth 42 - 20000 Hz
- Magnetic shield Yes
- Audio amplifier Integrated
- Connectivity Wired
- Controls Subwoofer cut frequency,
Subwoofer volume control
- Detachable grilles Yes
- Driver details Satellite speaker : 1 x Tweeter driver - 5/8 in - Pure titanium hybrid (PTH),
Satellite speaker : 1 x Woofer driver - 2.5 in - Aluminum
- Driver details Subwoofer : 1 x Subwoofer driver - 6.5" - Ribbed Elliptical Surround
- Power device Power supply - Internal
- Manufacturer profile
- Browse Mirage Loudspeakers products on Shopper.com
- Manufacturer:Mirage Loudspeakers
- Phone: 416-321-1800
- Fax: 416-321-1500